July Visa Bulletin

Think Canada

I also got my MBA degree in Dec last year.

Here is what I've done:

- Hired a desi attorney in Canada after verifying that he is genuine.
- Applied for Canadian Immigration without delay
- The basis for immigration is: Skilled worker - 17 years of education (including full time MBA) + 7 years full time employment (in th U.S)
- Time for getting Canadian residency ~ 12-15 months (approx.)
- $$ ---> (2,600 = Petition fee + Attorney fee)
- If I had done it alone, I'd have paid roughly only $1000 as the application fee

BobbySingh and others who finished the MBA:

Did you pay the whole thing on your own, or the employer sponsored your MBA ? Did you get in-state tuition ?

I've completed 50%. I put mine on hold because I was expecting to get an employer which offered a position to pay for the whole thing. Now that only our good God knows when such GC will emerge, I think I will have to resume my studies and pay the whole thing from my own pocket.

BobbySingh said:
no s**t. ever since my 140 got approved i have been breathing easy. speaking of studies, i just finished my mba last friday. all the best on your studies dude. you're lucky that your company is supportive.
B

I Paid from My Pocket

marlon2006 said:

Did you pay the whole thing on your own, or the employer sponsored your MBA ? Did you get in-state tuition ?

I've completed 50%. I put mine on hold because I was expecting to get an employer which offered a position to pay for the whole thing. Now that only our good God knows when such GC will emerge, I think I will have to resume my studies and pay the whole thing from my own pocket.

I paid from my own pocket. I work for a small business.
I didn't want any obligations from my employer, since I'd like to quit this job after I get another job after some time of filing I485 :mad:

for_ac21 said:
Hello my friends, we need to take into account the
passage of s.2611 cir bill and its potentially positive
impact on eb3 india -- I say this without complete knowledge,
of what those +ve things are - but I believe visa number may
increase immediately - please correct me.

/QUOTE]

The bills are too opposite for the congress to evn consider it.
The House of repsentatives passed only an enforcement bill, the compromise bill is way too different to be passed by the house of REps.
So actual eggect on the visa numbers will only be seen not before 3-4 months when the bills actually is signed by the President.

From immigration-law

I picked this up from immigration-law..

This morning, the Senate agreed to motion to cloture, practically closing the debates by 73 Yeahs. It is thus likely that the "legal immigration" provisions in the S. 2611 will be voted out by default practically without amendments. Passage of the bill is considered "given" in the tomorrow's roll call votes. Want to know who voted Yeah and who voted Nay for the motion to cloture"

Except..what does this mean??

for_ac21 said:
Hello my friends, we need to take into account the
passage of s.2611 cir bill and its potentially positive
impact on eb3 india -- I say this without complete knowledge,
of what those +ve things are - but I believe visa number may
increase immediately - please correct me.

Here is a posting from breaking news on immigration-law.com

>>>>>>>>>

05/23/2006: Rising Hope of S. 2611 Passage in the Senate Thursday 05/25/2006

* As opponents in the Senate admitted their defeat, the hope is rising that the bill may pass as early as day after tomorrow in the Senate. Please stay tuned.

The bill 2611 sponsered by Hagel and Martinez in repsonse to the Bill # 4431 approved by the house of Representatives.
Now the Senate didnt agree with all the bill so they have been voting on Amendments to the bill.
Now that they have Voted on Cloture means that barring those amendments already done the Bill will be Passed by the Senate as it is.
So the Guestworker programme should go through.
Now sisnce this Bill is so different from the Original Bill , Experts are of the Opinion that the Congress will not accept it as it is.

This is to the best of My knowledge. I maybe wrong so experts please correct me.
This from a laypersons point of view.

Do you mind if I ask you how much you paid ? You can send me a private message if you don't want to disclose the price here.

I was paying $41,000 for mine. I have very good credit, but back then I was not eligible for US Federal Aid/Loan. Now with EAD+AP, I am. I took the loan from Access Group but I was concerned interest rates are too high...

LC_Ki_Kahaani said:
I paid from my own pocket. I work for a small business.
I didn't want any obligations from my employer, since I'd like to quit this job after I get another job after some time of filing I485 :mad:

mba

marlon2006 said:

Did you pay the whole thing on your own, ....I think I will have to resume my studies and pay the whole thing from my own pocket.
back in 01 i worked for energy co. next door to enron and b/c of enron my co. went down(not that my. co. was innocent). they were going to pay for my mba at rice. since then there's been so much instability that i finally decided to pay on my own and thru my nose. i went to school for exec. mba and took out a loan for $55K. For the ones who did their mba, what have you guys done with it so far?
B
P.S.-I like the idea of canadian gc, thanks

BobbySingh, I am going to start a new thread for us to discuss this.
By the way, I've got Canadian PR and I lived there. I hope you don't have to go. Canada
is usually considered lame for ambitious people.

BobbySingh said:
back in 01 i worked for energy co. next door to enron
and b/c of enron my co. went down(not that my. co. was innocent). they were going to pay for my mba at rice. since then there's been so much instability that i finally decided to pay on my own and thru my nose. i went to school for exec. mba and took out a loan for $55K. For the ones who did their mba, what have you guys done with it so far?
B

one can file Canadian PR app on their own easily..7 years of employment in US is not a must - where did u get that info? of course, it helps if u have worked for long.

LC_Ki_Kahaani said:
I also got my MBA degree in Dec last year.

Here is what I've done:

- Hired a desi attorney in Canada after verifying that he is genuine.
- Applied for Canadian Immigration without delay
- The basis for immigration is: Skilled worker - 17 years of education (including full time MBA) + 7 years full time employment (in th U.S)
- Time for getting Canadian residency ~ 12-15 months (approx.)
- $$ ---> (2,600 = Petition fee + Attorney fee)
- If I had done it alone, I'd have paid roughly only $1000 as the application fee

it depends on how u have done ur MBA - I am going full time primarily cos one can change careers along with summer internships - of course it helps that my spouse will be working at the same time...from what I have seen, many going to part-time or exec MBA's even from top 10 schools really don't make use much of it - one has do a whole lot of networking or legwork to change careers..if advancing in the same company or managerial reasons, it should work...but one thing is good - its easier to get into a part-time program at a top school if one cares about the brand name.

BobbySingh said:
back in 01 i worked for energy co. next door to enron and b/c of enron my co. went down(not that my. co. was innocent). they were going to pay for my mba at rice. since then there's been so much instability that i finally decided to pay on my own and thru my nose. i went to school for exec. mba and took out a loan for $55K. For the ones who did their mba, what have you guys done with it so far?
B

contrary to what a lot of people say and spread news about it, its not that bad in Canada..it depends on what field you are in and what u want to do there. Toronto is the 3rd biggest financial hub in North America - for anyone moving onto management or financial jobs, its a great place to be especially with a great lifestyle and public transportation Toronto offers. For people in IT, if you have good work exp in US, you can do very well there (assuming you have a PR of course)..most of the companies in US have their branches in Toronto.

marlon2006 said:
BobbySingh, I am going to start a new thread for us to discuss this.
By the way, I've got Canadian PR and I lived there. I hope you don't have to go. Canada
is usually considered lame for ambitious people.

yeah I have an option of looking for jobs on GC post-graduation, which will be a BIG help! I guess they (its a well known recruiting firm) looked at me this way - "maybe he joins us back after studies and we can place him again, or he is so close to his GC, lets get it done for him" : )

BobbySingh said:
no s**t. ever since my 140 got approved i have been breathing easy. speaking of studies, i just finished my mba last friday. all the best on your studies dude. you're lucky that your company is supportive.
B

Good luck. I hope it works fine for you then.

puhrince said:
contrary to what a lot of people say and spread news about it, its not that bad in Canada..it depends on what field you are in and what u want to do there. Toronto is the 3rd biggest financial hub in North America - for anyone moving onto management or financial jobs, its a great place to be especially with a great lifestyle and public transportation Toronto offers. For people in IT, if you have good work exp in US, you can do very well there (assuming you have a PR of course)..most of the companies in US have their branches in Toronto.

Canada

puhrince said:

I believe that Canada is ok at best. I am Canadian and moved to the US almost 6 years ago. In the process, I escaped crappy healthcare, and outragously high taxes. It is not THE place to be if you want to succeed in life. Risk levels for businesses are low, and hence you don't tend to see the number of startups that you would see in the USA.

Many successful Canadians tend to move to the US at some point in their life--there are more Canadians living in California than there are citizens in some Canadian provinces!

Don't get me wrong--it's not a bad place. However, there are a lot of fundamental problems with the country (at least in my opinion) that made my moving to the US a dream fulfilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canada "Only" as a Good Backup

blondhenge said:
I believe that Canada is ok at best. I am Canadian and moved to the US almost 6 years ago. In the process, I escaped crappy healthcare, and outragously high taxes. It is not THE place to be if you want to succeed in life. Risk levels for businesses are low, and hence you don't tend to see the number of startups that you would see in the USA.

Many successful Canadians tend to move to the US at some point in their life--there are more Canadians living in California than there are citizens in some Canadian provinces!

Don't get me wrong--it's not a bad place. However, there are a lot of fundamental problems with the country (at least in my opinion) that made my moving to the US a dream fulfilled.

Folks, the reason why I mentioned getting a PR of Canada is to have something going alongside the process going on here... as a backup.. as a reassurance... as an ass-saver... so that yo'll dreams come true...

NO .. DO NOT THINK OF MOVING THERE WHEN U THINK OF CANADIAN IMMIGRATION.. THINK OF IT AS A CONTINGENCY PLAN...

What I understand is that if you have a Canadian PR .. its easier for you to work in the US (no hassle of H1B and 485 and crap like that).. its probably one of the benefits of NAFTA...

I don't think thats correct - its for citizens probably - u still need a H1 to work in US

LC_Ki_Kahaani said:
Folks, the reason why I mentioned getting a PR of Canada is to have something going alongside the process going on here... as a backup.. as a reassurance... as an ass-saver... so that yo'll dreams come true...

NO .. DO NOT THINK OF MOVING THERE WHEN U THINK OF CANADIAN IMMIGRATION.. THINK OF IT AS A CONTINGENCY PLAN...

What I understand is that if you have a Canadian PR .. its easier for you to work in the US (no hassle of H1B and 485 and crap like that).. its probably one of the benefits of NAFTA...

I am not moving there as yet - I am considering it to study (don't want to go back on F1) while my spouse works (there have been great offers for her in Toronto) especially since my company is continuing my GC anyway.

marlon2006 said:
Good luck. I hope it works fine for you then.

personally I will work anywhere where there is scope of a good lifestyle and job scene..no point dragging ur career down in US even if dreams come true here eventually..I would prefer an Ausssie PR as a backup anytime with that awesome weather : )

LC_Ki_Kahaani said: