July 2009 Family Based Filers - Post Here

New to this forum.

I mailed my complete aos (marriage based) package july 3rd received noa's about a week later. Got biometrics app letter around the 15th for 8/07.

Yesterday I received an RFIE for a copy of my Birth Certificate!

I definitely sent a copy of my birth certificate with my original package as I checked, re-checked and checked again everything before I sent it.

What does this mean? they lost my BC? (I was dumb enough to send an original copy) or are they just wasting time because of back logs?

Anyway I sent a photocopy of BC to them yesterday (luckily I had 2 original's) so hopefully this will do it.

Anybody else getting rfes or rfies for stuff they definitely already sent?

thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi guys,
I also sent my forms in on July 6th, and I have not seen any NOAs from USCIS yet. Same situation with SpanishGirl. I think there are some dedays going on at the USCIS. Let's wait and see what happens.

I am kind of relieved that someone else is in the same shoes as me. It looks likr people who filed right before and right after us are getting way ahead of us. Let hope ours happens soon.

Has you checks been cashed yet?
Where are you from? Country?

New to this forum.

I mailed my complete aos (marriage based) package july 3rd received noa's about a week later. Got biometrics app letter around the 15th for 8/07.

Yesterday I received an RFIE for a copy of my Birth Certificate!

I definitely sent a copy of my birth certificate with my original package as I checked, re-checked and checked again everything before I sent it.

What does this mean? they lost my BC? (I was dumb enough to send an original copy) or are they just wasting time because of back logs?

Anyway I sent a photocopy of BC to them yesterday (luckily I had 2 original's) so hopefully this will do it.

Anybody else getting rfes or rfies for stuff they definitely already sent?

thanks and good luck to everyone!

I have the exactly same situation as fordman !
I got a yellow RFIE for a copy of my Birth Certificate on July 20, and I'm 100% sure I included it in my I-485 package (as I kept a same copy as record..)
The issue here is that in my country, Taiwan, we don't have official document called 'Birth Certificate', so I went to my country's consulate in NY to get an official certificate on which it proved my place and date of birth in English, and I used it as Birth Certificate for my application. Now since I got an RFIE, I consulted with lawyer office, and I figured out that probably b'cuz in that certificate it didn't say my father's and my mother's names.

So....two days ago I went back to my consulate to get a new certificate which shows my mom's and dad's names...
On July 22, I sent out the new Birth Certificate (I gave them original one this time) and to be secure, I also attached a copy in Chinese, since it says on the RFIE that "You must submit both of the foreign language document and the English translation".

Now I'm having my fingers crossed that the officer will accept my documents this time.

Also, by the way, I have a question about biometrics appointment. I got my ASC biometrics appointment Notice on July 16, but as for today(July 23), my husband hasn't got a biometrics appointment notice for his I-130. Is that normal for the time gap? As we submit our application together in the same package, I'm a bit worried maybe the biometrics appointment mail got lost?

Thank you everyone here sharing your experience, and wish all of us good luck :)

I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131
NY
July 3, 2009: Package Sent
July 5, 2009: Delivered in Chicago Lockbox
July 10, 2009: Received (NOA) for I-130/I-485/I-765
According to NOAs Received Date: July 5, 2009, Notice Date: July 8, 2009.
July 16, 2009: Received ASC Biometrics appointment( scheduled on 8/8/2009)
July 20, 2009: Received RFIE (I-485)
July 22, 2009: sent out RFIE with documents

Last edited by a moderator:
LuckyGal2:

Did you mean that your husband never received NOA for his I-131?
Because according to your signature, you have received 3 NOAs for I-130, I-485 and I-765.

I'm confused, how many NOAs have you received on July 10, 2009 and which one is still missing?

For your information, USCIS sends NOA for I-130 to the petitioner only.

Also, from what I have read, some people have never received receipt NOAs for their filed form but received biometrics appointment notice.

LuckyGal2:

Did you mean that your husband never received NOA for his I-131?
Because according to your signature, you have received 3 NOAs for I-130, I-485 and I-765.

I'm confused, how many NOAs have you received on July 10, 2009 and which one is still missing?

For your information, USCIS sends NOA for I-130 to the petitioner only.

Also, from what I have read, some people have never received receipt NOAs for their filed form but received biometrics appointment notice.

Thank you, AkaMuzik, and sorry for confusing you:(
I meant to say that my husband haven't received biometrics appointment notice for his I-130, but I've got biometrics appointment notice for my I-485 on July 16 .
So, my question is that is that normal situation that you couples receive biometrics appointments in different dates? If so, how usually the dates are different? several days, couple weeks or even months?

**We actually received all the NOA for I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131. :)

I am kind of relieved that someone else is in the same shoes as me. It looks likr people who filed right before and right after us are getting way ahead of us. Let hope ours happens soon.

Has you checks been cashed yet?
Where are you from? Country?

SpansihGirl,

Yes, It seems like people who filed before or after the July 4th weekend are getting ahead of us. I think there could be a backup at USCIS because of the holiday. Who knows?

But I sent in money orders, so there is no way that I could figure out if they cashed my money. And I sent the package from Boston, MA. My wife and I are both Vietnamese. And I am here on a student Visa.

What about you?

Thank you, AkaMuzik, and sorry for confusing you:(
I meant to say that my husband haven't received biometrics appointment notice for his I-130, but I've got biometrics appointment notice for my I-485 on July 16 .
So, my question is that is that normal situation that you couples receive biometrics appointments in different dates? If so, how usually the dates are different? several days, couple weeks or even months?

**We actually received all the NOA for I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131. :)

Why should your husband receive biometrics appointment?
Is he US citizen who filed I-130 petition for you?
If yes, then USCIS does NOT require petitioner to do biometrics.
If your husband is US citizen, he will not receive any notice.
But he can accompany you to biometrics procedure.
He will not need any appointment for this purpose.

Only perspective immigrants must go through biometrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpansihGirl,

Yes, It seems like people who filed before or after the July 4th weekend are getting ahead of us. I think there could be a backup at USCIS because of the holiday. Who knows?

But I sent in money orders, so there is no way that I could figure out if they cashed my money. And I sent the package from Boston, MA. My wife and I are both Vietnamese. And I am here on a student Visa.

What about you?
I am here as a visitor from Canada. My Husband is the USC.

You can call your bank and see if the checks have been processed. I called my bank twice already, and the checks are still outstanding.

My cases showed up online. :)

You can retrieve the status of your cases using application receipt numbers that you've received in NOAs.

Case Status Online

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp

Create Case Status Portfolio as a customer and add all your cases to the portfolio. Enable email notifications, which is on by default, to get updates about the status of your cases.

Why should your husband receive biometrics appointment?
Is he US citizen who filed I-130 petition for you?
If yes, then USCIS does NOT require petitioner to do biometrics.
If your husband is US citizen, he will not receive any notice.
But he can accompany you to biometrics procedure.
He will not need any appointment for this purpose.

Only perspective immigrants must go through biometrics.

Thank you so much for your answer, AkaMuzik. Now I understand:)
My husband is US citizen, and I thought both of us have to do fingerprints :p
I'm just curious, then why he had to fill out G-325A, if he's not required to do fingerprints??
Thank you!

Thank you so much for your answer, AkaMuzik. Now I understand:)
My husband is US citizen, and I thought both of us have to do fingerprints :p
I'm just curious, then why he had to fill out G-325A, if he's not required to do fingerprints??
Thank you!

Your husband needs to file G-325A to support the I-130 petition filed by him (probably to establish identity of petitioner and relationship with the beneficiary). Fingerprints are needed only for I-485 and I-765, both of which are filed by you.

Your husband needs to file G-325A to support the I-130 petition filed by him (probably to establish identity of petitioner and relationship with the beneficiary). Fingerprints are needed only for I-485 and I-765, both of which are filed by you.

Thank you, sv_raj !

I also want to share some information regards to my walk-in biometrics :
I went to ASC @ Woodside, NY today around 1pm. I showed the guard my ASC appointment notice letter, and he just looked at it very quickly and didn't even check the schedule date (08/08/2009) on the letter.

I first filled out the form they gave me, and then went to reception desk to show a lady my ID. She also checked my hands and then told me to go to a room to have my fingerprints done.

The whole process took only like 10-15 mins, easy and quick, and people in that center are very friendly:)

I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131
NY
July 3, 2009: Package Sent
July 5, 2009: Delivered in Chicago Lockbox
July 10, 2009: Received (NOA) for I-130/I-485/I-765
According to NOAs Received Date: July 5, 2009, Notice Date: July 8, 2009.
July 16, 2009: Received ASC Biometrics appointment( scheduled on 8/8/2009)
July 20, 2009: Received RFIE (I-485)
July 22, 2009: sent out RFIE with documents
July 24, 2009: Fingerprints/biometrics done (Walk in at Woodside ASC)

Correct filing fees

Guys,

I've got rejection, and the reasons is wrong filing fees. But I send them 2 money orders with the right amount, I believe.

What is the correct filing fees guys?

Guys,

I've got rejection, and the reasons is wrong filing fees. But I send them 2 money orders with the right amount, I believe.

Are you asking about filing fees for I-130 and I-485?

Two money orders or checks, should be fine, if correct fees were paid.

For I-130 petition: $355
For I-485 form and biometrics: $1010.

We sent two separate checks that were cashed just fine.

Did you spell "US Department of Homeland Security" as recipient of your money orders?

Guys,

At least you know what went wrong! I am still waiting for any sign.
They arived at the USCIS July 9th - Chicago
No cashed checks or anything.
:(:(:(

I tried to walk-in for my FP yesterday and the guard did not allow me, he said i should come back on the date specified. I did not insist anymore since it's just a week away...

Are you asking about filing fees for I-130 and I-485?

Two money orders or checks, should be fine, if correct fees were paid.

For I-130 petition: $355
For I-485 form and biometrics: $1010.

We sent two separate checks that were cashed just fine.

Did you spell "US Department of Homeland Security" as recipient of your money orders?

We used 2 postal money orders. And since postal money order cannot be exceed $1,000.00, so I sent them 1 with $1,000 and whatever left on the second money order. But they reject the application for the reason of incorrect fees.

They want me to reapply again with the appropriate fees. But I am wondering should I use the old materials and forms or I have to print out everything brand new. The old materials were seem to be scanned by USCIS and they have balck codes lines on the right edges of them. What should I do? Is there anyone in the same situation or have been through the same? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Why wouldn't you pay by personal check? That's what we did and our payments went through just fine.

This time please make sure that you pay exact amounts of $355 for I-130 petition
and $1010 for I-485 and biometrics.

Enclose two checks, one for I-130 and the second for I-485 & biometrics.
Write the name of the recipient of your payments in full - US Department of Homeland Security. Don't write any extra information on the checks, such as USCIS. In memo line of the check specify which one is for I-130 and which one is for I-485 & biometrics.

If nothing is wrong with original submission, resend the same forms and documents. Before sending, take a chance and again double check if all your personal information given in the filed form is correct and that you're not missing any supporting documents and/or initial evidence required per USCIS instructions given in the forms.

I tried to walk-in for my FP yesterday and the guard did not allow me, he said i should come back on the date specified. I did not insist anymore since it's just a week away...

MMhh That's weird they don't care about the date they just make sure that you have the proper IDs in our case we went in without her passport the security guard just told us that we need either her passport or her work permit as identification and to come back with either one of them .We drove back home and got her passport and went back the same day,they let her in.The people taking the prints just took the appointment paper and did the finger prints and that was it.What part of town are you in ?