July 2009 Family Based Filers - Post Here

This is to everyone.
What would happen if I stopped payment on my checks (since they have not been cashed yet)
Then would they return my file to me?
Or would that cause problems.
Thanks

This is to everyone.
What would happen if I stopped payment on my checks (since they have not been cashed yet)
Thanks

And exactly why would you want to do that?

My thinking is that they will try to cash your checks, see insufficient or canceled funds, and either return your file to you or just void /cancel your application completely.

This is to everyone.
Thanks
It could cause problems. If you put a stop payment and USCIS attempts to cash it, they can press charges and/or demand another payment. Stop payment should only be used to block unauthorized third parties from using the check; don't use it to stop the recipient whose name is on the check.

Why are you thinking of invoking a stop payment? You want to withdraw the application?

Well I talked to someone on this site, and they advised me that an answer I put on the I-485 was inncorrect. I was just wondering if I stopped payments, if they would send it back to me, then I could correct it and re-submit it.

Also, I was advised that me leaving the country when I did, was fine, because my application has not even entered the system yet. I left July 9th and the USCIS received my application on July 9th, but still has not put it into the system. USCIS claimes that if it hasn't been put in the system, that it probably hasn't even been opened yet. At this point I have no idea, I am just waiting for the checks to get cahsed, then see what I will recieve in the mail.

It has been 14 days as of today, no word and no cashed checks. I will continue to wait until the 30th day, then I will get the USCIS to track it. (Called this morning and said they would issue a search for my application once it has been over 30 days.)

Thanks for the advice.

Well I talked to someone on this site, and they advised me that an answer I put on the I-485 was inncorrect. I was just wondering if I stopped payments, if they would send it back to me, then I could correct it and re-submit it.
What was the question you are concerned about? Depending on what it is, you may be able to correct it at the interview.

The I-485 form. I was originally told to answer:
Part 2 - Application Type
A. Immigration petition giving me an immediatley available immigrant visa number...

Then my "Immigrations advisor" changed it to:
H. Other based eligibility.... and wrote "Married to US citizen" in the line provided below.

Now I was told A. was correct. So now I am confused.

To refresh you with my status:
Canadian citizen
Entered Florida May 4th 2009 as a visitor
Married June 16th
Filed AOS July 9th

Last edited by a moderator:
The I-485 form. I was originally told to answer:
Part 2 - Application Type
A. Immigration petition giving me an immediatley available immigrant visa number...

Then my "Immigrations advisor" changed it to:
H. Other based eligibility.... and wrote "Married to US citizen" in the line provided below.

Now I was told A. was correct. So now I am confused.

To refresh you with my status:
Canadian citizen
Entered Florida May 4th 2009 as a visitor
Married June 16th
Filed AOS July 9th

If the form I-485 was concurrently filed with I-130 petition, then the correct
answer from Part 2. Application Type of I-485 will be option "A". Although wording of the option "A" is a bit intricate. :)

However, choosing an option "H" and specifying that I-485 was filed together with I-130 will also be a correct choice.

Choosing option "H" and typing a note "Married to US citizen" won't be a critical mistake at all. Because you sent the forms I-130 and I-485 together. Relax, USCIS will figure out that those two forms are filed together.

I left July 9th and the USCIS received my application on July 9th, but still has not put it into the system.
Maybe they aren't going to put it into the system. If you are outside the US on the day you file the I-485 (i.e. the day USCIS receives it), you're automatically ineligible for approval.

However, I don't know if they count partial days in the US for I-485 purposes. And it they may record it as being received on the 10th (i.e. it may have been dumped into a mail bin on the 9th with nobody seeing or stamping it until the 10th), which would place you completely outside the US.

Hopefully they'll just return the whole package without cashing the check, so you can reapply without that South America trip causing problems for your case.

Spanish girl - you should get a reply w/in the week.

Afrank - are you planning to do walk-in for your Biometrics? or will do on the date specified?

The date specified was august 13th so my wife just did a walkin and everything went well

Finally USCIS cashed both checks today.
Will need to go to bank to see if they can give copies of the check's back which may or may not have assigned case number.

Are any July filers a)from Canada or b)on a visitor status?

I'm just trying to piece together why my process is soo slow. Thanks!

Finally USCIS cashed both checks today.
Will need to go to bank to see if they can give copies of the check's back which may or may not have assigned case number.
You don't have online banking? My online banking can show images of the check in the browser.

You don't have online banking? My online banking can show images of the check in the browser.

I called my bank and they instructed me on how to access images of the checks online, which I did successfully. I can see MSC followed by 10 digits on the back of the checks. I went to USCIS website but was not able to retrieve case number by using MSC and 10 digits.

Case Status Search

"To view the status of a case, please enter the corresponding application receipt number. The 13-character application receipt number can be found on application notices you have received from the USCIS. It begins with three letters such as (EAC, WAC, LIN, or SRC). Dashes ("-") should be omitted when entering a receipt number. However, all other characters, including asterisks ("*"), can be included if listed on your notice as part of the receipt number."

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of our checks show up online as already taken out, because 1 is a personal money order and the other is an official check.
So do I continue to call the bank to check status, or is there an easier way.

Both of our checks show up online as already taken out, because 1 is a personal money order and the other is an official check.
So do I continue to call the bank to check status, or is there an easier way.

If you have online banking, you should be able access images of the processed checks. Please call your bank and ask them how can you access the images of processed checks. Your second option would be to ask your bank to print copies of those checks for you. It may cost you $4+ per printed copy.

Therefore, the first step would be to find out if you have online banking and if you can access and print those checks directly from your online account for free.

Hi guys,
I also sent my forms in on July 6th, and I have not seen any NOAs from USCIS yet. Same situation with SpanishGirl. I think there are some dedays going on at the USCIS. Let's wait and see what happens.