July 2009 Family Based Filers - Post Here

Congratulations xkywalkor! :D
It feels great to hear GC approval of another July filer! :D

AkaMuzik,
In your signature, you wrote that "Card production ordered". Did they update your online cases after the interview? My 485 case is still at the initial review step while I already had the interview.

Everybody what about your online cases status?

AkaMuzik,
In your signature, you wrote that "Card production ordered". Did they update your online cases after the interview? My 485 case is still at the initial review step while I already had the interview.

I got an e-mail 2 hours after the interview saying my card had been ordered and I would be getting it within the next 30 days.

Once adjudication officers approve AOS, applicants will receive three mails (not emails). The first one will be in the name of petitioner regarding approval of petition I-130, the second one will be the welcome letter which is also an approval notice for application I-485, the last one will be a green card in itself. As for the case status online, then it's very unpredicatable. Sometimes you don't get any email regarding approval of I-130, instead just an email stating about "production of card".

This "order of production of card" emails will come twice. The first one is exactly for approval of I-130. Altogether it takes 5-12 days to receive all these letters in the mails once a case is approved. Final note, don't think a green card is on the way when a first email receives on case status about "ordered card production" because it's actually an approval of I-130. There will be last email about the card production which will exactly be about ordering og green card...

AkaMuzik,

A few hours after the interview I received an email stating that card production has been ordered. Online case status for I-485 was updated the same day and changed to "Document production or Oath Ceremony". However, I-130 online case status still shows "Initial Review". So I wouldn't rely much on online case status. Instead, in addition to email updates, I rather wait for the actual letters. Both I-485 and I-130 cases were touched the next day after interview.

We had our interview today at the Atlanta office. Had to wait about 30 min. to be called in. Our interviewer was very polite and professional, he swore us in, made copies of our drivers licenses, asked if it was our signatures on the forms, asked about the yes or no questions on the form, asked for suporting documentation (we had pictures, wedding album, car insurance card, work benifits cards, joint bank account info) then he wanted to see bank statements where our money was going. Well I didn't bring anything like that and told him so. He said it all looked good and that he would approve us but could not close the file until we sent him some additional info on a minor incident we thought was taken care of several years ago. So tonight we celebrate and congrats to all the others. Thanks to everyone for all their advise and input over the last few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the answers to my question about post-interview process.

Today a few hours after the interview, I received 2 emails from the USCIS system confirm that they have approved my cases and I should be looking for my approval notices in the mail very soon.

So far, everything looks fine. Thank you for all the answers.

I TOLD YOU!!! haha congrats!!! Feels good!!!

I know I know!!! :rolleyes: :p Thanks so much for the support!! I'm relieved to have it out of the way! Surprisingly more relieved than I expected!

Congrats SpanishGirl, AkaMuzik and Nightkd! You're giving us August filers hope :)

Thank you :)

Nightkd Congratulations! :D
I told you not to worry too much, and to get a good sleep, which would be more important for a morning interview, and that everything would be fine.
See, you're today the one who is receiving congratulations. Nostradamus part of my soul is happy for you and for another right guess. ;):D

Haha! Thanks :D I know, I was panicking unnecessarily! Everyone was right! :p

Thank you all for your support! :)

x

Congratulations guinness301! :D

Today we received approval notice for I-130 and Welcome to the USA notice for I-485.
So the next thing in the mail will be the actual green card. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,
My mother in law is in the US under visiting visa. And my wife want to file GreenCard for her. That should be fine right? Are we elligible to do that?

Thanks

My I-485 online still says "Initial Review"...I'm pretty sure I was there at the interview and heard "approved" and saw the stamp with "approved" written on it, so I'm not panicking. :p

Got my EAD in the mail yesterday and went and applied for my SS number!! :) (Got there about a minute before the security guard locked the doors!!!). So all is well in the/my world for the moment. Just have to wait for the SS number to arrive and I can apply for my drivers license (I'm excited about this btw!! :D).

Congrats to anyone else who passed the interview recently!! :D

x

my timeline

hi everybody. i am truly very appreciative to everyone in this forum for sharing their experience with all us. my timeline is as below
08/11/09 mailed the docs to chicago
08/12/09 uscis received the docs
08/22/09 3 noa for i130 i 485 and ead.
08/29/09 received biometrics appointment for 09/23/09
09/01/09 biometrics done walk in.

now i am waiting for the ead email. i think is taking a little long! is it?
if not when should i expect it according to your timelines.
Thank you everybody and have a great day.

I received my email probably about now in relation to my/your timeline - eg 20th of August I had biometrics and got the email 16th of September, just short of a month, which is about where you are now. I'd expect the email any day now...The woman who did my fingerprints said I had really bad ones(!) which I expected to delay the card, but hey, it arrived. :D

You've still got a little while before you need to panic. Sometimes it takes them a while to update their systems it seems...so don't worry too much, give it a few days and see what happens. :)

I'm impatient to get my GC and SS number now!!!!!!!!! :p

It would have been better if you had applied for SS number after receving a GC especially when you were approved because you will need to make another trip to Social Security office to remove the notation from your social security card that you will receive soon. Whenever an alien presents an immigration document other than green card or naturalization certificate to social security office to obtain SSN then s/he receives a card with a notation stating that "Valid only with INS authorization" which is needed to remove when that person becomes a green card holder. Before it was worth to go to SS office with an EAD to obtain SSN because back then a green card application used to take 2-3 years but now it takes only 3-4 months. Anyway, unless SS Administration has changed their policy on this notation, you will be required to visit SS office again to obtain another card without such a notation unless you get a card without any notation on it.

Got my EAD in the mail yesterday and went and applied for my SS number!! :)

x

It would have been better if you had applied for SS number after receving a GC especially when you were approved because you will need to make another trip to Social Security office to remove the notation from your social security card that you will receive soon. Whenever an alien presents an immigration document other than green card or naturalization certificate to social security office to obtain SSN then s/he receives a card with a notation stating that "Valid only with INS authorization" which is needed to remove when that person becomes a green card holder. Before it was worth to go to SS office with an EAD to obtain SSN because back then a green card application used to take 2-3 years but now it takes only 3-4 months. Anyway, unless SS Administration has changed their policy on this notation, you will be required to visit SS office again to obtain another card without such a notation unless you get a card without any notation on it.

Oh well, that's okay. Does it make any difference? I'll still have the SS number right? I just want it so I can get a drivers license, put on the bank account properly and put on the car insurance..I can still do that right?

No big deal, I'd rather have SOMETHING ASAP than wait 2 weeks for GC then another 2 weeks for SS number if I can use the SS number NOW to do the things I need to do...

Thanks for the insight, I hadn't heard of this.

x

Oh well, that's okay. Does it make any difference? I'll still have the SS number right? I just want it so I can get a drivers license, put on the bank account properly and put on the car insurance..I can still do that right?

No big deal, I'd rather have SOMETHING ASAP than wait 2 weeks for GC then another 2 weeks for SS number if I can use the SS number NOW to do the things I need to do...

Thanks for the insight, I hadn't heard of this.

x

A social security card with notation makes not much difference as it can be used for all the purposes as you would like to except that if anyone would like to see the actual SS card then they will see the notation as well...and then it will lead to asking immigration paper because notation will state that the social security is valid only with INS authorization. Nevetheless, nobody asks to see the actual card except very rarely and only at selective places like DMV; otherwise everywhere it's the number they ask than the card itself. Speaking about the DMV then after the incident of 9/11 DMV offices across the country issue DL only for the period until INS paper will be good for. So if you go to the DMV with EAD and not GC then the validity of your DL will be limited.

Anyway, I personally don't think it's a big deal except that you should go to DMV only when you would have your GC in hand. You can remove such a notation once you become a US citizen as well because you will need to visit them at that time anyway to update your immigration status anyway. But it could be possible that your SS card might not have that notation as things have changed lately as SS office communicates with USCIS electronically about the status of the applicant whenever a reqest for a SSN is made. So if they would know that you are now a GC holder then they might issue you a card without a notation. But never go to DMV without a GC.

Good luck...

Yes, you can do that with the same old card. But there are two big advantages of getting a new SS card without the employment restriction wording on it:

1. For I-9 employment purposes, you can show the unrestricted SS card combined with a state ID or driver's license, without having to show your GC. That could be useful if your GC is unavailable because it got lost or expired. It also provides some protection from ignorant HR people who may want you to redo the I-9 when your GC expires, even though they're not supposed to.

2. For e-Verify and some DMVs and other government purposes, they sometimes cross-check your status with the Social Security database. You could run into some hassle if the SS database doesn't know you are a permanent resident.

Everybody congrats so far with the great news. Have to go to ss again since i had my passport in the bank's safe deposit and couldnt get it until 9am which would have me sitting in the office for a whole day.