J1 waiver fulbright granted

indes

I would like to share my experience as an ex-fulbrighter. I applied for the J1 waiver via the IGA route. This is my timeline:

DoS decision: Favorable recommendation
Item Action Date
Sponsor Views Received November 06, 2006
Recommendation Sent November 06, 2006
Request for Sponsor Views Sent October 18, 2006
IGA Application Cover Letter Received October 17, 2006
Fee Received August 02, 2006
Form DS-3035 Received August 02, 2006
Form DS-2019 Received August 02, 2006
Passport Data Page Received August 02, 2006
Letter of Representation Received August 02, 2006
Statement Of Reason Received August 02, 2006

I received the DoS letter and I-797 notice of action from USCIS at the same time in the mail on November 18.

I consulted at least 20 lawyers before starting the process and most of them told me that my chances to get a waiver were very low. They still wanted to charge me between $1500 to $5000 to work with me on this issue though. These are some things I believe helped me out.

1. 100% of my work is funded by a US government agency.
2. Timing. I waited almost 2 years after finishing my PhD and during my Academic training to start the process. This justified why I am so important to the project I am involved (the more time you spent the more "invaluable" you become).

3. I added great recommendation letters from my PhD advisor, coworkers, my supervisor and other researchers to my application package.

4. My statement of reason was very strong. I communicated the idea of how detrimental it would be for the Gov. Agency if I had to leave now. None of this is for you or your well being, you have to have a sound case on why the US benefits if you stay, even to the point that they won't hold you "accountable" for the 2-year rule.

I hope someone benefits from this info. Sometimes you are lucky, at the right spot, at the right time.

cheers,

les indes galantes

Question

Can anyone tell me the success rate of getting a waiver based on No objection? My wife came on J1 in 1998 to do one year of her high school. In 1999 she left and came back on F1 and has been on that status ever since.

Her J1 program was US goverment funded. What are the chances of them provided a waiver ion a no objection certificate by the home country government if the program was USG fully funded.

Any comments in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Standard No Objection is relatively successful

Was your wife on some sort of Fullbright grant? If so, then unless she is as lucky as the first poster above, it might be pretty tough. But if you are sure she is subject to the HRR (have you received an advisory opinion?), but she was not on the sort of program (i.e. Fullbright) that is made for people to return home with, then it should not be a problem to get the waiver via no objection. But here are two things to keep in mind:

1- If she is indeed subject to HRR, the DOS may ask her original J-1 sponsor for their views. If this happens, make sure your wife contacts the office that originally sent her the IAP-66 all those years ago and makes them aware of her case.

2- You say your wife left in 1999 to Russia. How long was she in Russia before she returned to the US on a F-1? Has she visited Russia since that time (Summer/Winter vacations, etc?) If she has been in Russia for a combined period of 24 months (does not need to be continuous presence) since the first day in 1998 that she arrived in the US on a J-1, for vacations or otherwise, she may already have fulfilled the HRR !!

Last edited by a moderator:
jk0274 said:
Was your wife on some sort of Fullbright grant? If so, then unless she is as lucky as the first poster above, it might be pretty tough. But if you are sure she is subject to the HRR (have you received an advisory opinion?), but she was not on the sort of program (i.e. Fullbright) that is made for people to return home with, then it should not be a problem to get the waiver via no objection. But here are two things to keep in mind:

--- She wasn't on a Fulbright grant

1- If she is indeed subject to HRR, the DOS may ask her original J-1 sponsor for their views. If this happens, make sure your wife contacts the office that originally sent her the IAP-66 all those years ago and makes them aware of her case.

--- She is on 2 year HRR (COnfirmed via Advisory opinion)
-- Her programs was funded by USIA (which no longer exists) it has merged with The Department of State (something like that)

2- You say your wife left in 1999 to Russia. How long was she in Russia before she returned to the US on a F-1? Has she visited Russia since that time (Summer/Winter vacations, etc?) If she has been in Russia for a combined period of 24 months (does not need to be continuous presence) since the first day in 1998 that she arrived in the US on a J-1, for vacations or otherwise, she may already have fulfilled the HRR !!

-- SHe has only been home 5 months cumulative

Thinkpad, in her statement of reason she needs to do a cost-benefit analysis of sharing her experience from a year in US high school in her own country for two years and her staying here, doing research, working, etc.

LucyMO said:
Thinkpad, in her statement of reason she needs to do a cost-benefit analysis of sharing her experience from a year in US high school in her own country for two years and her staying here, doing research, working, etc.

Thanks LucyMo, Your comments are very valuable. My wife was thinking on the same lines
If it is no too much to ask can I ask if is will be possible for you to talk to my wife over email and you give give her a little more guidance in this. Or would you prefer using this portal site

You don't know how much help that would be to us.

Thanks alot

do read the information posted on HRR waivers yahoo!group. A lot of people, including me, posted their stories, strategies, pointers, etc., there. And there is even a real lawyer there, helping out people.

Good luck!

Hi All,
Me too, I am an ex-Fulbright fellow for my MS degree. Then, I was supported by a US University for my PhD.
Since I came to the US very late, I will be retiring as an employee of my country's government in a few month. It means that even if I go back, I will not work there.
Presently, as a postdoc working in a State University lab, I am still required to go back home (even though I will be retiring there).
How difficult would it be for me to get a waiver from the Fulbright?
Thanks!

Hi
When you apply with the Fulbright for a waiver, what do you send?
- Only a letter of application?
- A letter and other supporting documents (such as recommendation letters)?
The Fulbright supported me for my MS degree. Then, I still remained J1 without Fulbright support and a US University supported me for my PhD. Now I am a postdoc in this University, working with the State Climate Office.
What is the best way for me to get the waiver from the Fulbright?
Thanks.

Can you advise please, I am on j1 expire 11 /2010 with 212e . For H1B and green card process, I need to finish the no objection J1 WAVIER
I am trying to Get no objection letter from my country which may granted by may/2010.
1-How long it will take to get favorable recommendation from the DOS regarding NOL
2-can I start now filling j1 NOL wavier process although the my country embassy does not have no objection letter yet.
3-can you please also explains the steps to file NOL wavier properly.
4- as j1 expires at 11/2010, supposedly, if I reached to stage of filling adjustment of status, can I file i-485 although the wavier would be pending
Thanks

Can you advise please, I am on j1 expire 11 /2010 with 212e . For H1B and green card process, I need to finish the no objection J1 WAVIER
I am trying to Get no objection letter from my country which may granted by may/2010.
1-How long it will take to get favorable recommendation from the DOS regarding NOL
2-can I start now filling j1 NOL wavier process although the my country embassy does not have no objection letter yet.
3-can you please also explains the steps to file NOL wavier properly.
4- as j1 expires at 11/2010, supposedly, if I reached to stage of filling adjustment of status, can I file i-485 although the wavier would be pending
Thanks

J1 Waiver Sponsor Views - Who is the Sponsor?

Hi everybody,

I am a Fulbrighter and have 2 Year HRR based on Government financing.
I applied for a waiver based on No Objection.
I have received the No Objection from the embassy of my home country.
I've seen from other posts' timelines the next step is a Request for Sponsor Views. Who is this request sent to? DOS or the Fulbright Commission in my home country?
On my DS form it says "Program Sponsor - DOS". But it also says the Fulbright Commission in my home country have given me the funds.
So who is my ultimate sponsor that they sent the request for Sponsor Views?

Will very much appreciate any information.
Thanks.

Hi Sophia1,

I am in precisely the same situation as you. I sent in my application for a waiver of the 2YrHRR last month. My status at the moment on the DOS webpage says that they have requested 'sponsor views'. I contacted the Fulbright office in my home country. They said that they have not been contacted about my application, and they gave a standard disclaimer that basically suggested that they will support the US officials if the decide to enforce the 2YrHRR and they would also support them if they decide to waive it. From this, my sense is that the sponsor request goes to a central Fulbright office that is part of the DOS here in the US.
Hope this helps, keep me posted on how this turns out for you!
OK

Fulbright HRR waiver process?

Hi Sophia1,

I am in precisely the same situation as you. I sent in my application for a waiver of the 2YrHRR last month. My status at the moment on the DOS webpage says that they have requested 'sponsor views'. I contacted the Fulbright office in my home country. They said that they have not been contacted about my application, and they gave a standard disclaimer that basically suggested that they will support the US officials if the decide to enforce the 2YrHRR and they would also support them if they decide to waive it. From this, my sense is that the sponsor request goes to a central Fulbright office that is part of the DOS here in the US.
Hope this helps, keep me posted on how this turns out for you!
OK

Hi okennedy and Sophia 1,
Did the process work out for you? I am in the process of applying for the HRR waiver based on NOS. I was funded by the Fulbright program for my MS degree and later on being funded by US university for my PhD like a few others above. I was wondering if you guys would be so kind to let me know what exactly you included in your application package. Also, the website says the NOS has to be issued from 'relevant ministry' in the home country and sent to the US embassy. I am not quite sure what this relevant ministry would be. Would it be the ministry of education or will it be the ministry that collaborates with Fulbight for such programs? I would be so grateful for your help.

statement to justify

Les indes,
could you be more clear about "None of this is for you or your well being, you have to have a sound case on why the US benefits if you stay, even to the point that they won't hold you "accountable" for the 2-year rule."?

What exactly did you say it ?
Best Wishes

I would like to share my experience as an ex-fulbrighter. I applied for the J1 waiver via the IGA route. This is my timeline:

DoS decision: Favorable recommendation
Item Action Date
Sponsor Views Received November 06, 2006
Recommendation Sent November 06, 2006
Request for Sponsor Views Sent October 18, 2006
IGA Application Cover Letter Received October 17, 2006
Fee Received August 02, 2006
Form DS-3035 Received August 02, 2006
Form DS-2019 Received August 02, 2006
Passport Data Page Received August 02, 2006
Letter of Representation Received August 02, 2006
Statement Of Reason Received August 02, 2006

I received the DoS letter and I-797 notice of action from USCIS at the same time in the mail on November 18.

I consulted at least 20 lawyers before starting the process and most of them told me that my chances to get a waiver were very low. They still wanted to charge me between $1500 to $5000 to work with me on this issue though. These are some things I believe helped me out.

1. 100% of my work is funded by a US government agency.
2. Timing. I waited almost 2 years after finishing my PhD and during my Academic training to start the process. This justified why I am so important to the project I am involved (the more time you spent the more "invaluable" you become).

3. I added great recommendation letters from my PhD advisor, coworkers, my supervisor and other researchers to my application package.

4. My statement of reason was very strong. I communicated the idea of how detrimental it would be for the Gov. Agency if I had to leave now. None of this is for you or your well being, you have to have a sound case on why the US benefits if you stay, even to the point that they won't hold you "accountable" for the 2-year rule.

I hope someone benefits from this info. Sometimes you are lucky, at the right spot, at the right time.

cheers,

les indes galantes

help

DEar Les indes,
you are the only one with good news in relation to Fulbright waiver.

I will begin my statement of reason.
What strong reasons did you support it ?
Thanks