J U L Y 2010 filers please post your Progress here!

mandinko and katimboy: What status are you in? I would love to share information with you since we all live in Fairfax, VA.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My Timeline
GC through married to USC

07/14/10(DAY 00) - Mailed Package (I130 / I485 / I765 / I864EZ)
07/22/10(DAY 08) - Checks Cashed (Send 2 Checks: $1,010 and $355). (From Letter: INS sent the NOA out the same day the checks were cleared)
07/24/10(DAY 10) - Received 3 NOA(I-765 / I-485 / I-130.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The process going pretty well. I received an email notification today and my check cleared today. Now waiting for receipts in the mail.

7/26/2010 I-130/I-485 mailed to Chicago via Express mail
7/27/2010 Package signed for (as of USPS notification)

Haven't heard anything since.

Based on what I have read in different threats, and my lawyer:

1. Field offices that do the fingerprinting are different; some of them are very busy, and when some people - with their appointment letter - go there earlier than the set date, are requested to leave (small percentage), or wait (for about an hour). Most experiences were positive - and fast! So I personally took the chance and went to mine (Alexandria office) and had it done in 10 Minutes. If they don't do it for you (worst case scenario) you have a 2 hour waste considering the driving period. But if they do (90%), you have expedited the process. The next day you will see the soft touch on your file. Comparing the time invested, you put your file at least two to three weeks ahead.

2. Please go to uscis.gov website, and find 'after I file' column on the left; click on 'sign up for updates'. Then enter your case numbers. You can set email alert or mobile alerts on for your cases, and get updates. Now, some people don't receive updates although they set their files accordingly. Don't worry. Site glitches. But you can go there once in a while, sign in, open your portfolio of cases, and see the column for last updates. It gives you the last time they have touched it. It doesn't mean, though, you find out right there what they have done. At least, you know your file is in process. I have set my expectations based on those, and what I get from other filers here.

Hope it helps,

Interesting regarding the first question. So you just went to the field office earlier than your fingerprinting date. Did you call them in advance? Or just walked in and said that you need your biometrics taken although you have a later time appointment? Were they friendly at all?

Thanks!

Hello Eagle :)

thanks a lot for a detailed explanation !!

I did sign up for updates after you explanation :)... I went for my FP but havenbt seen a Softtouch yet !! :) Hope I see it.. !! Is there any way to find out if FP was done fine and USCIS has got them?

TRETIK,
yes, you can go for FP before your appointed date.. It may expedite ur case, and even if it doesnt give any advantage, it wont be giving any disadvantage anyhow.
You dont need to call them, just go to the office and show them ur appoinment letter, they may entertain you in the office is not very crowded or they may question , you can mention a reason and request them...yeah they will be friendly and if you get lucky they will allow u ,..you have to fill a form and give fingerprints.

regards,
mudita

I did't call them - and guess we can't anyway. I walked in there, showed my letter, the officer looked at it and said, ok, then you wan to do it earlier, ha? Good!
So I didn't even have to bring an excuse. Super friendly everyone of them in Alexandria office. Hope everyone is lucky here with their process.

Hello Eagle :)

thanks a lot for a detailed explanation !!

I did sign up for updates after you explanation :)... I went for my FP but havenbt seen a Softtouch yet !! :) Hope I see it.. !! Is there any way to find out if FP was done fine and USCIS has got them?

TRETIK,
yes, you can go for FP before your appointed date.. It may expedite ur case, and even if it doesnt give any advantage, it wont be giving any disadvantage anyhow.
You dont need to call them, just go to the office and show them ur appoinment letter, they may entertain you in the office is not very crowded or they may question , you can mention a reason and request them...yeah they will be friendly and if you get lucky they will allow u ,..you have to fill a form and give fingerprints.

regards,
mudita

You're very welcome, Mudita.

Happy to see you can check updates. and great to hear you could do your biometrics earlier. It does have advantage though - timewise. Within a few weeks after your biomerics you may get your EAD, and interview letter; so the faster the biometrics done, the faster you get your EAD and the rest.

Now usually within 3 days of biometrics, people see soft touch. I don't know when you did yours, but give it 3 business days. If the biometrics are not approved, you will know thru mail - give it 3 weeks if it happens. But the possibility? Very infrequent; mostly people over 65 have been called in for another bio - age thing; somehow their fingers don't print as they should ;)

Update on my case: My lawyer notified me he got the mail about RFE. I didn't get the mail on that, although till last week anything he got I did get the same day. Anyway, we need to send them again the tax relevant papers, which I hope will be done early next week.

You're very welcome, Mudita.

Happy to see you can check updates. and great to hear you could do your biometrics earlier. It does have advantage though - timewise. Within a few weeks after your biomerics you may get your EAD, and interview letter; so the faster the biometrics done, the faster you get your EAD and the rest.

Now usually within 3 days of biometrics, people see soft touch. I don't know when you did yours, but give it 3 business days. If the biometrics are not approved, you will know thru mail - give it 3 weeks if it happens. But the possibility? Very infrequent; mostly people over 65 have been called in for another bio - age thing; somehow their fingers don't print as they should ;)

A stupid question probably, but what is "soft touch"?

My timeline

DO: SFO
Applied for Mom (I am a USC)

07/10/10 - Mailed to Chicago LockBox I-130/I485/I864
07/20/10 - Mail received from USCIS stating that they received the packet and entered into their system
07/20/10 - Checks cashed
07/24/10 - NOA received for I-130 and I-485
07/29/10 - Received Biometrics notification scheduled for 08/16/10.

just an update on my progress,

7/3 - got married
7/20 - mailed package via Fedex
7/21 - lockbox recieved it
7/27 - recieved emails and texts with receipt #s
7/27 - $1010 and $355 checks cleared
8/2 - 797s arrived in the mail, along with biometric appointment notice scheduled for 8/16
8/3 - walked into the biometrics office this morning anyway, they took him and said the work authorization should arrive in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks? That sounds much faster than I was expecting but I'm not complaining.

just an update on my progress,

7/3 - got married
7/20 - mailed package via Fedex
7/21 - lockbox recieved it
7/27 - recieved emails and texts with receipt #s
7/27 - $1010 and $355 checks cleared
8/2 - 797s arrived in the mail, along with biometric appointment notice scheduled for 8/16
8/3 - walked into the biometrics office this morning anyway, they took him and said the work authorization should arrive in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks? That sounds much faster than I was expecting but I'm not complaining.

which ASC did he walk into ? Can you please let me know ?

My case/progress

07/20/10 Filed through attorney (he mailed the package)

Have not received reply or receipt. Is this normal? Instead of checks we sent money orders. My attorney insisted on the money orders instead of checks.

you got it !!

Hi Eagle,

you were right...it took 3 business days for it show a soft touch !!

now the question is, wat does soft touch mean,.....I do understand that they saw the case, but for what? to send out any letter?

what does one expect now? IL or EAD?

Regards,
Mudita

7/26/2010 I-130/I-485 mailed to Chicago via Express mail
7/27/2010 Package signed for (as of USPS notification)
08/03/2010 Notification from USCIS (email/phone) that apps were received
08/05/2010 I-130/I-485 checks cashed

Hi Eagle,

you were right...it took 3 business days for it show a soft touch !!

now the question is, wat does soft touch mean,.....I do understand that they saw the case, but for what? to send out any letter?

what does one expect now? IL or EAD?

Regards,
Mudita

:) Happy to see you saw the soft touch.

Ok, soft touch means they have received something (in your case, Mudita, your biometrics) or they have reviewed your file again (if you have sent them a requested evidence) but that's it! Is this good enough? Yes, since it means your file in process. Now they will work on it, and will reach you about EAD if all your sent documents were good, and then a little after that they will send you IL. But if they need further documents (RFE) ( look for pink or yellow paper if that's the case) both EAD ad IL will be on hold until you send them the requested evidence. I hope you won't have that hold, and get your EAD soon!

7/20/2010 mail I-485/I-130
7/25/2010 Recieved by USCIS
7/29/2010 Notice Date
8/3/2010 got notification by mail.

Now waiting for Biometrics

sounds good.

hello all,

thanks eagle for detailed thoughts..

I request all other to update their timelines as we move on with our status.

so i would guess that , once FBI replies with the resuts..there should be another soft touch !! that would be must guess once they receive the biometrics.!!

enjoy everyone and keep smiling !!

regards,
mudi