• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Is it too late as a 2014 green card eligible (Very Important)

dioode

Hi,

I was unable to check my results because I have lost the reference ID. But yesterday, I was found out that I have been selected. I have several questions.

1. Can I proceed with further processing ?.

2. I am an undergraduate, I have 2 more years to complete my degree. In the application I have selected some university courses type. Is it College or no degree Type that I have to select in filling DSP-122.?

3. Is there a way to post these documents in electronic means? (This is because I am considerably late)

4. Can I marry immediately and send my partner's application + documents along with mine, when I send it within next week?

5. After facing the interview is it possible to get an extension of 2 years to complete my degree in the country that I am living right now (As I have read through, It is only valid for 6 months)? Can this be controlled by the local embassy which gives the final results.

6. Do I have to go anyway to apply for an extension period to complete my course from where I live now?

7. (If 6. can not be done), Is it possible to go to US and get the things done there and return leaving my husband in US ? (After my degree is completed, I can go back)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I was unable to check my results because I have lost the reference ID. But yesterday, I was found out that I have been selected. I have several questions.

2. I am an undergraduate, I have 2 more years to complete my degree. In the application I have selected some university courses type. Is it College or no degree Type that I have to select in filling DSP-122.?

3. Is there a way to post these documents in electronic means? (This is because I am considerably late)

4. Can I marry immediately and send my partner's application + documents along with mine, when I send it within next week?

5. After facing the interview is it possible to get an extension of 2 years to complete my degree in the country that I am living right now (As I have read through, It is only valid for 6 months)? Can this be controlled by the local embassy which gives the final results.

6. Do I have to go anyway to apply for an extension period to complete my course from where I live now?

7. (If 6. can not be done), Is it possible to go to US and get the things done there and return leaving my husband in US ? (After my degree is completed, I can go back)

1. No it is not too late. The processing is determined by the Case Number so yours may not even be current yet - but regardless, you have time since the process lasts until the end of September 2014 (unless the global quota is reached in which case it could stop sooner).

2. Some college courses.

3. For the first set you are supposed to send them by mail (along with the photos and the barcode that is printed on your selectee letter.

4. Yes you could marry but your marriage might cause suspicion that you ONLY got married to give someone else a GC. So, if you can prove that your marriage is genuine (i.e. was an existing relationship) then you should be OK.

5. After interview you will have almost 6 months to enter the US to activate your GC. You can then leave for up to 12 months without permiossion. You can leave for longer with permission, but all you would actually need to do is take some trips back to the USA during that 2 year period to keep your GC in good standing.

6. Answer given for Q5

7. Again, explained in Q5

Hi,

Thanks

1. Yes

2. College, no degree is the appropriate one for now

3. Some say you can but I'd just courier them. It's still a long way to the end of the fiscal year.

4. Yes, but expect lots of scrutiny about the marriage in the interview.

5. You have to enter in 6 months once you have your visa or it expires and is useless. Once you've entered you can apply for a re-entry permit which allows you to stay out for up to two years, but you'll have to be in the US for a few weeks to get all the admin for this done.

6. See above

7. Once your husband is in, his green card is exactly the same as anyone else's so yes he can stay even if you don't.

I am assuming that your relationship is genuine. If it isn't, and they (1) find out at interview you will both be denied and barred permanently from entry (2) find out afterwards, you will get your green card revoked. The reason I may seem suspicious is because a sudden marriage after being selected, with a potential plan to live apart for a couple of years sounds suspicious.

1. Yes

3. Some say you can but I'd just courier them. It's still a long way to the end of the fiscal year.

5. You have to enter in 6 months once you have your visa or it expires and is useless. Once you've entered you can apply for a re-entry permit which allows you to stay out for up to two years, but you'll have to be in the US for a few weeks to get all the admin for this done.

6. See above

7. Once your husband is in, his green card is exactly the same as anyone else's so yes he can stay even if you don't.

I am assuming that your relationship is genuine. If it isn't, and they (1) find out at interview you will both be denied and barred permanently from entry (2) find out afterwards, you will get your green card revoked. The reason I may seem suspicious is because a sudden marriage after being selected, with a potential plan to live apart for a couple of years sounds suspicious.

Snap (although your reply is better than mine!)

Re- Is it too late as a 2014 green card eligible (Very Important)

1. Yes

6. See above

Thank you for the detailed answers. Our relationship is genuine. Actually my husband applied for this for both of us. Since we both are university students we were hoping to go to US to start a better life. We though about marry soon and then apply (which we did not have in our minds because of my studies) because as the information says that it is somewhat difficult to bring spouse to US and we would very much like to avoid difficulties as much as possible.

Please read this description

The reason I have to leave is because I have to stay for a while here to complete my degree. (But if there is any possible way of continuing studies from where I am now for some affordable amount I would very much like to stay in US).

Questions

What are the things that we want to provide as deviance. Our facebook profiles can help a lot I would say :p and we have the approval from our parents as well (which we would very much like to present as deviance if possible).

1. Is there some genuine way of proving our real reasons and allow my partner to stay in US and settle there and earn some money while I can stay for a while here. My husband will be a software engineer graduate on the start of next year. I think that will be a great start.

2. Or if this is very much suspicious we both can go to US and we both can apply for and extension and we both can come again to US after my studies.

3. In the letter I I have received notification, [my name] c/o [partners name]
And also, I have my partners' Address.(Will that be an deviance too..)

Hi,

Thanks

Thank you very much. I have further questions. please kindly help me on that as well. please look at the above reply

Thank you for the detailed answers. Our relationship is genuine. Actually my husband applied for this for both of us. Since we both are university students we were hoping to go to US to start a better life. We though about marry soon and then apply (which we did not have in our minds because of my studies) because as the information says that it is somewhat difficult to bring spouse to US and we would very much like to avoid difficulties as much as possible.

The reason I have to leave is because I have to stay for a while here to complete my degree. (But if there is any possible way of continuing studies from where I am now for some affordable amount I would very much like to stay in US).

Questions

What are the things that we want to provide as deviance. Our facebook profiles can help a lot I would say :p and we have the approval from our parents as well (which we would very much like to present as deviance if possible).

1. Is there some genuine way of proving our real reasons and allow my partner to stay in US and settle there and earn some money while I can stay for a while here. My husband will be a software engineer graduate on the start of next year. I think that will be a great start.

2. Or if this is very much suspicious we both can go to US and we both can apply for and extension and we both can come again to US after my studies.

Your evidence seems fine.
However, as far as maintaining permanent residence status is concerned, the rules are the rules. They don't make exceptions other than via a re-entry permit. You'll need to figure out which path will work best for you.

Questions

What you should be concerned about is being able to prove your marriage is genuine at the time of the interview. You're not required to reveal that you have plans of staying back in your country to complete your studies while your spouse will remain in the US.

Like you've been informed before by one of the earlier responses, if you guys are granted the DV visa and enter the US together to activate your LPR status, your husband will not be prevented from stating in the US alone.

As for proving your relationship is real, I don't think Facebook postings or profile alone is enough to do that. You should be prepared to show lots of pictures taken together in the past, evidence of places you've both been to together. Other things such as bank accounts, rental agreement, utility bills, phone records, etc, under both names will also help establish the existence of the relationship prior DV selection.

Filling my initial forms

I am having a very difficult time in filling the initial forms. I am trying to DHL these documents as quickly as possible. Please help me with these issues. I am quite exhausted on these issues. :(

I will go with the numbering system in the forms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSP-122 Form (Which has to be included my me)

2. Rank Order Number:
Hope this is the case number on the first selected letter.
3. Name of US Consular Office..:
I am from Sri Lanka. I think the interviews will be held in US Embassy, I will put Colombo Sri Lanka. Is there a
specific name that I have to put?

6. Education
a.) Since I am still an Undergraduate, I think I have to put College No Degree, or Shall I put Other and put
undergraduate?
b.) In our country there is no degree systems. We are following British education system. We have Ordinary
Levels, Advanced Levels, and then University Degree. So, How should I fill this table.

Do I have to put my kindergarten?. What is the what should I put for my degrees or certificates for GCE
Ordinary Levels and GCE Advanced Leves?

What is the order I have to fill the table, Is it ascending or descending with the time?

I hope that is it for DSP 122 form
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
230 form Part I

1. Name:
I have no problem with my name. But for my husband the name has an issue Because, My husband has 4 parts.
Format:
(Family name- This is a set of words) (first name) (Middle name) (Last Name)

To be specific, I my country names are very long and family name and the Last name has a relationship (Last
name is the shorter version of the family name)
For the family name, is it the first part, or the Last Name that I have to put for the Family Name?

2. Other Names Used:
For Husband's form:
Can I put Last name here or, as an attachment may I write the full name as
FamilyName, FirstName, MiddleName, LastName format.

For My form:
what is considered as the maiden name? is it my husband's last name or family name?

3. Full Name in Native Alphabet:
My I write it using a pen after taking the prints? In what format Do I have to write it, is it the just as seen on our
Identity cards or birth certificates?

10. Permanent address in the US where you... :

Do I have to must fill this part. Because I have to found it yet :(?

12. Present Occupation :

May I put Undergraduate or Do I have to be more specific like Undergraduate of (course, University etc..) ?

30. List below all places...

As the instructions says, I currently live in my husband's address, which is not longer as 6 months. But it says to
start with the current address. What is the way I should I fill this part?.
Do I have to put Present in both column or only in a single column?

32. List below all the employment...

Since I have not worked anywhere yet, I have to put N/A for this table.
But What should I put for the below space for "In what occupation do you intend to work in the US", May I put
medical officer/ Doctor?

33. List below all the educational institutions attended:

This has come across earlier. But this is a bit different from the earlier part.

What is the course of study and Degree or diploma for Ordinary Level and Advanced level exams?
How can I indicate my current learning institute (university) because I have not still completed it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

230 form Part II

39. Name of the Petitioner:

In both forms (for mine and husband's) do I have to put my address, telephone number, email address or
can I
put my husband's telephone number and email address in his form?

40. e part:

An alien who seek to enter for the purpose of performing skilled or unskilled .....

For my form: Since I am an undergraduate who will not pass out, what should I put for this, is it yes?
for my husbands: Since he will be graduating in next January, should I fill this as yes or no?

I really appreciate if you experts can help me on this. I am expecting some detailed description because I have
great amount of doubts about these things. Please I am desperate in resolving these issues.

Apologies for butting in but I was just going to log on and ask questions about this exact thing, so might as well ask here!
Is there a defined period of time you have to be in the USA when you first enter (e.g a month) before you leave again, or can you just go for, say, a day or two, and then return home?
Is there any questioning from border control or is it all relatively straightforward? And are there any specific requirements e.g. Setting up a SSN or residential address before you leave?
It seems too lenient/lax to just let you enter the states to activate your greencard and then just allow you to go home for two years...

Oh also, I'm assuming the 5 year permanent residency would start from the day you activate your green card and not from the date you actually start living in the US (I.e. 2 years later if we are to use the above example)?

Apologies for butting in but I was just going to log on and ask questions about this exact thing, so might as well ask here!
Is there a defined period of time you have to be in the USA when you first enter (e.g a month) before you leave again, or can you just go for, say, a day or two, and then return home?
Is there any questioning from border control or is it all relatively straightforward? And are there any specific requirements e.g. Setting up a SSN or residential address before you leave?
It seems too lenient/lax to just let you enter the states to activate your greencard and then just allow you to go home for two years...

You can get the next flight out once you've entered, but you can't just stay out for two years... For that you need a re-entry permit, and I understand the admin involved for that takes a few weeks at least. You can stay out for up to a year, but be aware that people have reported that if you stay out for longer than 6 months you get cross-examined quite intensively when you re-enter. So an absence of less than 6 months is the safest option. Apart from the one year, which is a hard guideline, these numbers are still soft; even if less than 6 months, if the CBP officer thinks you have abandoned residency you may have to go before an immigration judge - that said I've never personally heard of a case where this happens in less than six months. Maintaining a bona fide address in the US is one important part of proving you haven't abandoned residence.

Oh also, I'm assuming the 5 year permanent residency would start from the day you activate your green card and not from the date you actually start living in the US (I.e. 2 years later if we are to use the above example)?

It starts from the day you activate, unless you are absent for longer than 6 months, in which case it resets to the last entry date. (I'm assuming you're talking about the 5 years to apply for citizenship.)

Also, be aware that for both citizenship applications and in terms of determining whether or not you have abandoned residency, your tax standing is crucial. You are liable to submit tax returns to the IRS from the day you become a green card holder, even if all your income is earned outside the US (most countries have double tax treaties so you shouldn't end up paying any or much extra tax though).

I am having a very difficult time in filling the initial forms. I am trying to DHL these documents as quickly as possible. Please help me with these issues. I am quite exhausted on these issues. :(

I will go with the numbering system in the forms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Rank Order Number:
I am from Sri Lanka. I think the interviews will be held in US Embassy, I will put Colombo Sri Lanka. Is there a

6. Education
a.) Since I am still an Undergraduate, I think I have to put College No Degree, or Shall I put Other and put
undergraduate?
b.) In our country there is no degree systems. We are following British education system. We have Ordinary
Levels, Advanced Levels, and then University Degree. So, How should I fill this table.

Do I have to put my kindergarten?. What is the what should I put for my degrees or certificates for GCE

What is the order I have to fill the table, Is it ascending or descending with the time?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
230 form Part I

1. Name:
I have no problem with my name. But for my husband the name has an issue Because, My husband has 4 parts.
Format:

To be specific, I my country names are very long and family name and the Last name has a relationship (Last
For the family name, is it the first part, or the Last Name that I have to put for the Family Name?

2. Other Names Used:
For Husband's form:

For My form:
what is considered as the maiden name? is it my husband's last name or family name?

My I write it using a pen after taking the prints? In what format Do I have to write it, is it the just as seen on our

Do I have to must fill this part. Because I have to found it yet :(?

12. Present Occupation :

May I put Undergraduate or Do I have to be more specific like Undergraduate of (course, University etc..) ?

As the instructions says, I currently live in my husband's address, which is not longer as 6 months. But it says to

But What should I put for the below space for "In what occupation do you intend to work in the US", May I put
medical officer/ Doctor?

This has come across earlier. But this is a bit different from the earlier part.

What is the course of study and Degree or diploma for Ordinary Level and Advanced level exams?
How can I indicate my current learning institute (university) because I have not still completed it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

230 form Part II

In both forms (for mine and husband's) do I have to put my address, telephone number, email address or
can I

40. e part:

An alien who seek to enter for the purpose of performing skilled or unskilled .....

For my form: Since I am an undergraduate who will not pass out, what should I put for this, is it yes?
for my husbands: Since he will be graduating in next January, should I fill this as yes or no?

I really appreciate if you experts can help me on this. I am expecting some detailed description because I have
great amount of doubts about these things. Please I am desperate in resolving these issues.

I hope that this is kind of lengthy and britsimon thanks for your suggestion. But here I have some serious issues that I can not get my head around. That is why I need some serious help. Again since I am late, I think it is too risky to continue with a doubtful document. :(. A help is very very very much appreciated. I am desperate.

2. Rank Order Number:
Correct – case number.

No.

6. Education
undergraduate?
College No Degree

Most recent first. Put the school name, dates and the degrees/certificates received (treating O and A levels as certificates).

230 form Part I

1. Name:
Format:

Perhaps someone from SL should advise you. Lastname/Family name/Surname is what the are looking for.

2. Other Names Used:
For Husband's form:

IF you like, yes.

For My form:

The maiden name is the lastname/surname you had before marriage (for countries where married women take their husbands lastname).

Yes.

Do I have to must fill this part. Because I have to found it yet ?

No, leave blank for now.

12. Present Occupation :

Student.

Start with your CURRENT address.

medical officer/ Doctor?

Yes.

Course of study – leave blank.
Current Uni put date From and under to date put “present”

230 form Part II

can I

You are the petitioner for both of you..

40. e part:

Put NO for both of you.

Thank you a lot britsimon for the explained detail. This helped me a lot to complete these forms which was a headache to me. Thanks again.
one more question:

Current Uni put date From and under to date put “present”, But I can not write present because it only support mm-yyyy. Is it fine if I write it by hand?

Thank you a lot britsimon for the explained detail. This helped me a lot to complete these forms which was a headache to me. Thanks again.
one more question:

Current Uni put date From and under to date put “present”, But I can not write present because it only support mm-yyyy. Is it fine if I write it by hand?