Is Canadian PR worth pursuing if US GC is approved?

gc-despo

Registered Users (C)
Dear Forum members,

I know this is not the appropriate forum for this question, but over last 2 years, I think I have come to "know" some of the members of this particular forum, so I am asking for your advice.

Recently, I have posted that my wife and my I-485 were approved. Now we are waiting to go for PP stamping.

Last year, when it seemed as if VSC would remain stuck in Jan 2002 proc date for ever, we decided to start Canadian PR as an alternate.

Now, 2 weeks ago our Canadian attorney sent us e-mail saying we have recieved interview waiver, and can proceed for medicals. Now, medicals cost 300 x 2 = $ 600, and we have to first pay attorney $ 700 before they will send medical request documents. On top of this, we have 750 x 2 = $1500 landing fee. All found expense of $ 3000.

DO YOU GUYS THINK CANADIAN PR IS WORTHWHILE PURSUING AT $3000 COST IF ONE HAS US GC IN HAND.

HAPPY DIWALI TO ALL INDIAN FRIENDS ON THE FORUM :)

You have lot of money

Buy a Maruti 800 at home and give it to your friend :D Or take a vacation to Sun City, South Africa..there are better ways to spend that 3000 $ ;) Or gamble in vegas or in atlantic city..you can't have two wives ..same is true for GC

Happy Deepawali..

gc-despo,

the only one thing I see positive is that you may get canadian citizenship faster than in US... otherwise I do not see any advantages...

GL.

gc-despo said:
DO YOU GUYS THINK CANADIAN PR IS WORTHWHILE PURSUING AT $3000 COST IF ONE HAS US GC IN HAND.

Depends on the priorities in your life. Many people prefer living in USA because opportunities are more here. In that case it does not make sense to pursue Canada PR. On the other hand, many people prefer Canada because of healthcare and it's easy to get parents/family members as PR. I know a middle aged person moved to Canada because he thought he would get better healthcare benefit in Canada once he retires.

One of my friend spent around $3000 to get canadian PR for the whole family. after getting it he got US GC with in a month. now he is repending for the money spent on the PR. it has become obsolete for him now. If I were you with 485 approval, I would spent that money on something else like vacation or property.But it is up to you to decide.

gc-despo said:
Dear Forum members,

I know this is not the appropriate forum for this question, but over last 2 years, I think I have come to "know" some of the members of this particular forum, so I am asking for your advice.

Recently, I have posted that my wife and my I-485 were approved. Now we are waiting to go for PP stamping.

Last year, when it seemed as if VSC would remain stuck in Jan 2002 proc date for ever, we decided to start Canadian PR as an alternate.

Now, 2 weeks ago our Canadian attorney sent us e-mail saying we have recieved interview waiver, and can proceed for medicals. Now, medicals cost 300 x 2 = $ 600, and we have to first pay attorney $ 700 before they will send medical request documents. On top of this, we have 750 x 2 = $1500 landing fee. All found expense of $ 3000.

HAPPY DIWALI TO ALL INDIAN FRIENDS ON THE FORUM :)

Canadian PR == Toilet Paper

I don't think it's worth it from whatever I heard from everyone I know there and my brother spent there 3 years.

Thanks to all who replied. Consensus opinion seems to be to abandon Canadian PR. I am also leaning towards that. Two things make me pause:

1) As pralay said, Canadian healthcare system is better (free) and easier to sponsor relatives to Canada than US.

2) Maybe I am paranoid, but what if Bush starts the military draft. Canada may be good place to go to. (But maybe then it is safest to return to India....)

I think you should have an option always -- you should NOT abandon canadian PR -- I know of so many American citizens who have left for Canada because of what is happening with the Bush administration. I know 3000 bucks is a lot, but it is an investment for a backup plan. Surely better than spending it on a "vacation". So go for Canadian PR as well.

Another way of looking at this is that, assuming you haven't started Canadian PR, and with your US GC in hand, will you still go ahead and initiate Canadian PR? If the answer is no, then you should stop it right now.

You have to choose one or the other, can't have the cake and eat it too!

One thing I heard about Canada is that higher education is almost free for kids? Can someone confirm that?

unitednations said:
One thing to keep in mind is that Universities in Canada are very competitive in entrance requirements. It's not like in USA; where if you are willing to spend the money you can go to university.

It all depends on the university. In Ontario, you have Toronto, Queen's and Western (and Waterloo for Sciences) and after that there are a lot of second and third rate places. It's not much different from the USA; there are some great universities and some pretty lousy ones. I will say that if you have a pulse and a double-digit IQ (and aren't totally illiterate) it's not too hard to get into Carleton or Lakehead.

Canada is a really easy place to immigrate into, but there are an awful lot of foreign PhD holders driving cabs and what not because Canadian immigration has its own ideas of what makes you employable that do not necessarily match what Canadian employers want (which is, "Canadian experience"). The business community is risk-averse and very insular.

When adjusted for the population difference, there are 30 Canadians actually emigrating to the US every year for each American going the other way. This doesn't count the tens of thousands of Canadians working in the US on NAFTA or H-1B visas, or stuck in AOS limbo. There's a reason for this.

Most of those namby-pamby US liberals whining about Bush's re-election may be interested in coming to Canada, but when they discover the high taxes, lower gross incomes (yes, you make less *and* pay higher taxes), crazy real estate prices vs. income, lousy healthcare system and lack of jobs, they won't be going anywhere. :)

UN,
I think tuition now are up to $7000-8000 CAD a year. When I graduated in 1997, it was already around $3000. Tuition has skyrocketed in the past few years, as a result, government need to loan more money to students because they can't afford it.
Although the pay here in US are alot higher than Canada and tax are lower, we are unable to afford a house. The median price house in bay area is $600,000+. I can buy a comparable house in Richmond Hill area for half the price.

It would be worthwhile if you could keep both US PR and CA PR. But you can't!

We got our CA PR before we came to the US. We spent $7000 because we hired a lawyer. We just went there to land for 3 days. Then we started our US PR journey here. We just got our green cards. I don't think our CA PR are still available and we won't worry about them at all.

Save your money and immigrate when you want to move there.

On the lighter side, once the "red" southern states form the United States of JesusLand, that Canadian PR is gonna look mighty good. :D

Another 4 years, the bible belt states will atleast bring this country from "1st world" with a level of their eastern european counterparts "2nd World".

If you look at the USCIS's New Immigrant Welcome guide, it clearly states that you may loose your Green Card (or PR status) if you obtain Permanent Residency in another country. According to USCIS, by becoming PR of another country, it implies that you do not fully intend to be a Permanent Resident in the United States. This is similar to staying abroad for more than 6 months without obtaining prior permission.

Canada? Why not?

If you have a US GC in hand - think before you act.

I would pursue the North of the border option, if I had no chance of getting PR in US.
I love Canada a lot, I visit it often and think that it may be one of the best places on earth.

I am from a european decent, so the things that matter a lot to me - european food, great outdoors etc. are much more available in Canada.
On the other side, the healthcare is free, but as I heard it is not as good as in US. Taxes - enough said (but still a way lower than in Europe). But you also do not work as crazy as you do in US.

I would love to earn as much as I can in US and then retire to Montreal (Oh, I have to learn French first). But this is in another 30 years.

Meanwhile I am staying here, while constantly asking myself whether it is a right thing to do.