Is Canadian PR worth pursuing if US GC is approved?

vsc_485 said:
If you look at the USCIS's New Immigrant Welcome guide, it clearly states that you may loose your Green Card (or PR status) if you obtain Permanent Residency in another country. According to USCIS, by becoming PR of another country, it implies that you do not fully intend to be a Permanent Resident in the United States. This is similar to staying abroad for more than 6 months without obtaining prior permission.

There is a different between "obtaining PR permit/card for another country" and becoming or obtaining PR status of another country". There is nothing wrong to apply for perm residentship for another country. But the problem arises when someone actually becomes PR or "obtains PR status" at another country. For example, someone can be approved for Canadian PR and sit quiet in USA. That's not a problem. But if he/she enters Canada in PR status, that's where USCIS gets issue.

michaelfe said:
If you have a US GC in hand - think before you act.

I would pursue the North of the border option, if I had no chance of getting PR in US.
I love Canada a lot, I visit it often and think that it may be one of the best places on earth.

I am from a european decent, so the things that matter a lot to me - european food, great outdoors etc. are much more available in Canada.
On the other side, the healthcare is free, but as I heard it is not as good as in US. Taxes - enough said (but still a way lower than in Europe). But you also do not work as crazy as you do in US.

I would love to earn as much as I can in US and then retire to Montreal (Oh, I have to learn French first). But this is in another 30 years.

Meanwhile I am staying here, while constantly asking myself whether it is a right thing to do.

I would move to Montreal anytime. The good european taste combined with the american convenience. The best place on earth.
The weather is a bummer though.

jish said:
Another 4 years, the bible belt states will atleast bring this country from "1st world" with a level of their eastern european counterparts "2nd World".

Call it "new Europe" :D

(courtsey to Don Rumsfield).

hard to say

Dual "PR" is lot harder than Dual citizenship, because you need to maintain residency status in order to keep your PR status. If you are really interested in both, the best would be becoming canadian first, then applying US PR. It took me three months in 96 to get my Canadian PR, and less than 3 years after I got the canadina PR, I became the Canadian citizen. Although I live in US now, I still love Canada a lot. Lot more friendly community to immigrants. I heard a lots about health care system in Canada is worse than US, but honestly, after 6 years in States, I haven't found what is better here in healthcare than Canada. For emergency visit, you waited same length of time, regardless in Canada or in States. Ironically, this year, you see lots of American people rushing to Canada to get a flu shot, and lots of American talking about buying drugs from Canada. It's true, the tax is higer in Canada, but you got the better social benefits from government, and actually, for the last several years, Canadian economic is far better than US. I am sure in the future, I will be back to Canada, the country I love.

Need to finalize

My AOS or 485 is awaiting adjudication from VSC.My signature has more details.
As of Sep-03 i am a PR of canada, but i am on AOS pending in US. I have to maintain my residency obligations in Canada which is physical presence of 3 years out of 5 years and pay taxes.

I am a EB3 filer and case is pending in VSC from past 20 mos. I recently responded to my RFE on Oct-14 with lot of LUD changes but no signs of approval.
With possible EB3 retrogression in Jan-2005 in air and random case transfer to local offices by uscis's cowboy officers, if i am caught in this trap i don't see my approval in another 1 year.
But the catch is, i have to move to Canada by Aug-05 to fulfil my residency requirements or loose PR status. I gotot start earning and file taxes from there.
I am in a dillema, whether i let go my Canada PR residency in next Aug-05, if my AOS is not approved.
OR
Take an AP for one year from Aug-2005 and start living in Canada and return to States once 485 is approved or called for FP3. I would have to maintain a PO box for uscis mails or ask any friend to have an address for me.

What are the chances of 485 approval these days ? (Too many NOIDs/RFEs/case transfers) :mad:
I sometimes feel not to jeopardize my Canada PR and don't want to loose pending AOS adjudication either.
Unable to take any decisions.
Really in dark.. :confused:

FP2 : 09/17/04
RFE2 Recd by USCIS : 10/14/04
LUD : 10/14,10/15/10/19,10/21
No Address change thru the entire process,no congressional/aila inquiry, Working with GC sponsor after 140 approval (10 mos).

gc4201 said:
I heard a lots about health care system in Canada is worse than US, but honestly, after 6 years in States, I haven't found what is better here in healthcare than Canada. For emergency visit, you waited same length of time, regardless in Canada or in States. Ironically, this year, you see lots of American people rushing to Canada to get a flu shot, and lots of American talking about buying drugs from Canada.

Actually most of the people here in USA is covered by employer provided insurance, hence don't realize how screwed up US healtcare system is. But many people in USA here are dependent on Medicare and they know very well. It's not that we don't pay taxes for Medicare. We pay hundreds of dollars from every paychecks.

On the other hand, Canadian healthcare is considered better for average people not because its superior or well-managed system, but the population and burden is much lower compare to USA.

Jish,
why would you loose your Canadian PR if you don't go there is Aug 2005. I thought you only have to live 2 years every 5 years. That gives you time till Sep 2006(Since you got your PR in Sep 2003) can you Explain to me

Thanks

HydGuy29 said:
Jish,
why would you loose your Canadian PR if you don't go there is Aug 2005. I thought you only have to live 2 years every 5 years. That gives you time till Sep 2006(Since you got your PR in Sep 2003) can you Explain to me

Thanks

Hi,
Its 3 years. I was told by immigration attorney and canadian immigration officials when i visited as landed immigrant.
No room to maneuvre after Aug-05. One or the other i have to sacrifice.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/menu-howto.html

But if you lived < 3yrs after PR, there are certain waivers available, example you accompanied a candian citizen for the extra period you stayed outisde canada.
Very tough to get such kind of waivers.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is worth to go ahead for Canada PR

If you go thru the entire forum list, you see lot of un-foreseen problems in US GC processing. One is not sure of the GC until he/she gets it in hand. From this same point-of-view, I have gone and landed in Canada to get the PR.

Note: I have started the Canadian process simultaneously with GC. Now I am waiting for 485. And have just landed in Canada and got the PR. I could have saved the landing fe of $1500.oo, but still, did that. Reason....not 100% sure of American GC. While in US one can get PRs for almost any country. The same person will face problems if applied from India. So, I would say, better get the PR too (if you are in the middle of the PR processing).

-a desi...away from mother land!

I already have the canada PR with me as a landed immigrant. Its just that i have maintain my residency requirements 3 yrs of physical presence out of 5.
Rt now i am in the mercy of vermont service center, if i don't get any answer by Aug-05 (31 mos after filing 485), i have to pack off north of the border permanently. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: