IR5 entry from India for parents

Mobeen17

My parents IR5 visa entry date is by 05/13/2020. Is it advisable to request for an extension given the current conditions? What would be the process to request extension? I have tried calling the US consulate in India and USCIS but no response.

1. Reach out to the consulate visa email. Maintain copies of all your efforts, including the dates/times you called.
2. Keep trying to contact them.
3. The consulate should be issuing new visas under their own rules:

9 FAM 504.10-5(A) (U) Issuing Replacement Visa During Validity of Original Visa
a. (U) If you are satisfied that an applicant will be or was unable to use an immigrant visa (IV) during its validity period because of reasons beyond the applicant’s control and for which the applicant is not responsible then you may issue a replacement visa with the originally allocated visa number within the same fiscal year even though the visa has not yet expired. You should recall and cancel the originally-issued visa and collect once again the appropriate IV application processing fee (including the Diversity Visa Lottery Fee for a DV applicant), unless the applicant was unable to use the visa as a result of action by the U.S. Government over which the alien had no control and for which the alien was not responsible.

b. (U) An applicant who will be or was unable to use an IV during its validity period because of reasons within the applicant's control can submit a new visa application if the petition has not been revoked and if the basis for immigration still exists (i.e., familial relationship). This also applies for new IV applications outside of the original IV's fiscal year of issuance.

c. (U) In the event an immigrant visa or boarding foil is reported lost or stolen, you should first check the ADIS database in the CCD to determine if the visa has already been used for entry into the United States. If, after careful search in ADIS of either the passport number or the name/DOB, you determine that the visa has not yet been used, follow the procedures for reporting issued visas as lost or stolen set forth in 9 FAM 403.9-7. If there are fraud indicators, the case should also be referred to the FPU. In the event the immigrant visa was used by the applicant see 9 FAM 202.2-6 for facilitating the applicant’s return to the United States.

Hello Mr. Khanna,

Thank you for the response. The visa services helpline in Mumbai responded back with below. Hypothetically if the US does not impose a travel ban from India before May 13th, does the issuing of replacement visa automatically fall under category "b" in the above process (basically now its under applicant's control)? Does Part b mean just getting a new visa or going through the whole process of new immigrant application.

Currently, in light of the global COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai is not processing immigrant visas including reissuances of previously issued visas. Please continue to check our website for information on when the Consulate will begin reviewing immigrant visa cases once more: Once the immigrant visa unit is operational, you may visit the Mumbai Consulate from 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on any business day. The applicant must bring along their passport and the unused visa packet (if it was issued).

Thanks again - above website will be helpful for others with similar questions.

Last edited:
Hello Mr. Khanna,

Thank you for the response. The visa services helpline in Mumbai responded back with below. Hypothetically if the US does not impose a travel ban from India before May 13th, does the issuing of replacement visa automatically fall under category "b" in the above process (basically now its under applicant's control)? Does Part b mean just getting a new visa or going through the whole process of new immigrant application.

Currently, in light of the global COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai is not processing immigrant visas including reissuances of previously issued visas. Please continue to check our website for information on when the Consulate will begin reviewing immigrant visa cases once more: Once the immigrant visa unit is operational, you may visit the Mumbai Consulate from 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on any business day. The applicant must bring along their passport and the unused visa packet (if it was issued).

I do not understand the question. Can you elaborate?

Hello Mr. Khanna,

Any update on your parent's entry? My mother's IR-5 visa expires on July 23rd and I am not sure what to do as there are no outbound flights from India to USA.

Their IR-5 visa expired and I posed the question to Mumbai consulate. Their response was once the embassy opens, they can request for an extension with “supporting documents”. I don’t have clarity on supporting documents. I have read you have to go through police clearance and medical again. I am not sure when embassy will open and how to really proceed through this scenario.

I do not understand the question. Can you elaborate?
Hello Mr. Khanna,

Apologies didn’t see this question. The embassy doesn’t have clear guidelines on process once the IR-5 visa expires. Their response was only to suggest to visit consulate once it opens in Mumbai with supporting documents. Upon asking what constitutes supporting documents for requesting an extension, there is no response. Please advise if you know what supporting documents would be needed.

Thanks,

Mobeen

Their IR-5 visa expired and I posed the question to Mumbai consulate. Their response was once the embassy opens, they can request for an extension with “supporting documents”. I don’t have clarity on supporting documents. I have read you have to go through police clearance and medical again. I am not sure when embassy will open and how to really proceed through this scenario.

That really sucks. My mom lives in Punjab and it will be very inconvenient if she has to travel again to Mumbai for visa re-issuance. This is a very unfortunate situation. I wish India allowed more outbound flights for US citizens, PRs and Immigrant Visa holders. I had emailed the consulate and received a similar response they sent you. Lets keep each other posted as we get updates. Good luck!

Same here IR-5. Mom from Chennai. Had interview in Dec. Had to submit some additional documents in Feb and finally got her visa stamped and mailed back passport on march 10th from Mumbai. Then the shutdown. Now she has to go to Mumbai for another interview whenever they open. I've emailed the mumbai embassy email at the State Department asking that they let people who had their IR visa issued and unable to travel again due to the shutdown be granted a reissue through mail. No response. I guess if enough of us do this and I was also thinking we go through our local Senator's office to get the State Department to provide some clarity on this and hopefully some rational thought process than to make them all go to Mumbai again!

Please post updates here if you find out when they open or any updates you might hear. I'm going to draft a letter for the local Senator's office. Maybe some of us can coordinate this together? Multiple Senators or Congressmen helping might bring a more humane way of them handling this!

Hi,

I am in a similar boat. My parent's IR-5 was approved end of February and they were not able to travel during COVID. It's expired now. I had reached out to Mumbai consulate twice and their suggestion was to wait till immigration services resume at the consulate and then apply for restamping.

@sriram1975, did you reach out to senator/congressmen? Please share any updates from your end.

Thanks

Wanted to bring this thread back - has anyone had any luck with IR5 renewal visa? The Mumbai consulate remains closed for IR visa with a very standard response. My dad unfortunately is in very poor health and I need to find a way to bring him here. @Rajiv S. Khanna - any further guidance on this would be really helpful.

Happy thanksgiving everyone and stay safe.

Just to update you all, there are still no developments. We are still where we were many months ago. I'm hoping that with the change in administration, things will change rapidly.

Can someone validate the news that US consulate is resuming routing visa services? I am waiting for re issue IR5 visa for my dad.

Hello All -

My father's IR-5 (parents) visa expired in June 2020, as he was unable to travel due to Covid restrictions. Pretty much the same questions as everyone else :

1. How do i apply for his visa renewal as the IR-5 visa as expired ? Emailing Mumbai consulate is useless (have emailed them 11 times) as their standard response has been "we are closed, here is a link for green-card expiration/extension" . My issue is not covered by GreenCard expiration, rather IR-5 visa expiration, but US Mumbai consulate does not respond to this specific queries.

2. I hear that US Mumbai consulate has started processing IR cases (immigrants visa) , but per banner on their website today , Jan 4 2021, they have resumed processing only IR1/2 (Spouse and Children). Does anyone know if Mumbai consulate has started processing IR-5 cases ? Notice below on Jan 4 2021 on cgifederaldotsecuredotforcedotcom

"Only IR1/2 and CR1/2 visa categories can schedule an appointment under Presidential Proclamation 1001 and 10052. Unless specifically instructed by the Consulate to make an appointment, if applicants for other immigrant visa categories make appointments, they will be cancelled. "

3. How do I apply for IR-5 renewal ? "Contact embassy with supporting doc" is as vague as "find god". My assumption is :
3a) Re-do the medical exam, as the last one is more than 6 months old
3b) Re-pay Visa application fees
3c) Re-appear for in-person interview in Mumbai

Further questions, if anyone has information :

3a-q) For medical exam, a letter is needed from US Mumbai consulate for IR-5. How do i get this letter again from Mumbai consulate ? Last time, we got the letter after US-Mumbai consulate approved our petition for IR-5. Now, since this is a renewal of IR-5 Visa ( and not a new one ) , i dont see any link/option on CGI portal to renew the visa. Without this letter, i cannot randomly get a medical exam for my dad.

3b-q) Link to re-pay visa application fees ?

3b-c) Since presidential proclamation does not apply for IR-5, any idea why/how they are being excluded from US Mumbai consular processing as of now ? My guess is that they are prioritizing IR-1/2 but will eventually start IR-5 again.

Any other relevant information, kindly share. Thank you in advance, and hopefully each one of us does not have to re-learn all these procedures and Mr Khanna or one of the applicants will kindly share latest knowledge.

Last edited:
Hello, we are also in the same boat of expired IR-5 (mothers immigrant visa expired in June 2020) and she's stuck in India with an immigrant visa stamping on her passport. Emailing USTravelDocs has no valid responses.

Does anyone have an update on how to renew an expired immigrant visa due to Covid?

THANKS for the help.

Update as of Jan 22 2021. I called the US travel docs number and I was told that there are currently not processing IR5 visas. They have no idea when IR5 category will start renewing expired visas nor provided any information on the actual renewal steps. I was asked to just check back again in a couple weeks...I hope they make this process easy and simple for the elderly who already have an immigrant visa on their passport.

Update as of Jan 22 2021. I called the US travel docs number and I was told that there are currently not processing IR5 visas. They have no idea when IR5 category will start renewing expired visas nor provided any information on the actual renewal steps. I was asked to just check back again in a couple weeks...I hope they make this process easy and simple for the elderly who already have an immigrant visa on their passport.
Thanks for the update. My guess is Trump's current proclamation from Dec 2020 which bans all IR visas except IR1/2 until March 31, 2021 will be when resumption will happen. That might also give enough time for perhaps everyone in Dept of State and US Consulate staff get vaccinated before they resume IR5 appointments.

Similar case, parents got their visa stamped in Feb 2020, were planned to travel on march 24th and covid hit. Pretty vague responses via email or on call. Hoping they start processing ASAP after March 31st especially cases where they have to just reissue the visa.

So Mumbai consulate is not interviewing parents for GC these days? Please reply.