IR1/CR1 or K3

kaashi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have read some of the stuff and I feel silly in asking but what is the difference between IR1/CR1 and K3? I have read the different types of visa at the following link and still can't quite get a clear picture except about the basic stuff that one takes longer and costs less etc etc.
http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare#ircr1

Seems like pretty much the same process for both, same I130 form to be filed, same procedure to be adhered to, except in IR1 you enter the US as an LPR and in the K3 you Adjust Status after entering here. And it is not much of a difference in wait times either, except both the routes are taking much longer these days to process than what it mentioned in the visajourney website.

I am probably going to go to India, get married there, file the forms in the US Embassy in Delhi, and try to cut the time it takes for the files to go from Vermont to National Visa Center and all that. (Sick of this process. I did a K1 last year and it fell apart after the visa was granted and everything was ready to go.) A US Citizen friend went the same route, filing in Delhi, and his wife was able to come here very quickly. (no DCF). He said that it can't hurt to try to file in Delhi. If they don't accept my petition, then I come back here and file with the USCIS.

How does one distinguish whether one is filing for an IR1/CR1 or a K3? Thank you guys for all your help. Really appreciate it.
kaashi

Hi,
I have read some of the stuff and I feel silly in asking but what is the difference between IR1/CR1 and K3? I have read the different types of visa at the following link and still can't quite get a clear picture except about the basic stuff that one takes longer and costs less etc etc.
http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare#ircr1

Seems like pretty much the same process for both, same I130 form to be filed, same procedure to be adhered to, except in IR1 you enter the US as an LPR and in the K3 you Adjust Status after entering here. And it is not much of a difference in wait times either, except both the routes are taking much longer these days to process than what it mentioned in the visajourney website.

I am probably going to go to India, get married there, file the forms in the US Embassy in Delhi, and try to cut the time it takes for the files to go from Vermont to National Visa Center and all that. (Sick of this process. I did a K1 last year and it fell apart after the visa was granted and everything was ready to go.) A US Citizen friend went the same route, filing in Delhi, and his wife was able to come here very quickly. (no DCF). He said that it can't hurt to try to file in Delhi. If they don't accept my petition, then I come back here and file with the USCIS.

How does one distinguish whether one is filing for an IR1/CR1 or a K3? Thank you guys for all your help. Really appreciate it.
kaashi

For a USC to file directly at a Consulate, the Consulate wants you to show that you have lived abroad at least 6 months before you may file, check with Consulate first.

Thank you guys for all your help.

May I please ask TripleCitizen to explain the K3 and the CP route.

A friend filed at the Embassy in Delhi and got lucky that they accepted his application without establishing residency and his wife came over in 4-5 months. One of his friends got lucky too. So they said no huge risk in trying that route.

If the K3 and the IR1/CR1 time frames are almost similar, I'll probably go the IR1 way. I'll read some more. Thank you again.
kaashi

It is very simple. The alien spouse uses the K-3 to stay in the US with her US spouse. The CR1/IR1 continues in the normal fashion and the alien spouse returns to his/her country and gets interviewed at the US consulate for his/her immigrant visa and then returns as an immigrant.

May I please ask TripleCitizen to explain the K3 and the CP route.

Thanks Mr. Ghori,

1) I hope I get this right: So we file the I-130, 129f, G 325A etc to get the K3. The spouse comes here in 8-10 months or however long it takes. We don't file for Adjustment of Status once she comes here. K3 is valid for 2 years. When the IR1 call comes from Delhi, the spouse goes back for the interview and gets the IR1/CR1, right?

Probably be CR1 in my case I am going to file right after marriage. Then remove the conditions on the Green Card when it is time.

I'll take a chance and file directly in Delhi and hope they accept my petition and process it quickly.

2) I became a citizen last March. I have to file the I-130 for my sister and mother too. Would you recommend that I file a separate application for the spouse, and a separate one for mother and sister (combined)?

Just trying to be clear since I haven't done this before, I guess I pay 3 times the fee (for 3 people) for the I-130 if I file for the spouse, sister and mother?

Thanks again to everyone for all your help, your knowledge, and your patience with all of us on this forum.
kaashi

A1: Absolutely correct
A2: Sibling and parent cannot be combined. An I-130 each for your mother and sister.

1) I hope I get this right: So we file the I-130, 129f, G 325A etc to get the K3. The spouse comes here in 8-10 months or however long it takes. We don't file for Adjustment of Status once she comes here. K3 is valid for 2 years. When the IR1 call comes from Delhi, the spouse goes back for the interview and gets the IR1/CR1, right?

2) I became a citizen last March. I have to file the I-130 for my sister and mother too. Would you recommend that I file a separate application for the spouse, and a separate one for mother and sister (combined)?

kaashi,

don't waste your time with DCP. I tried this and simply lost time. The folks at the Delhi Embassy seem to assume that everyone coming that route is simply skipping the line.
I suggest you file your I-130 (IR1/CR1) directly. both K3 and IR1/CR1 are currently taking the same time.