Interview with expired passport?

Username

Registered Users (C)
I received my interview letter yesterday. It's scheduled for October 1. I was gathering all my document and realized my home country passport expired August 31, 2008 (just a few days ago).

Should I try to get updated passport or should I take expired passport to interview?

The problem with trying to get new passport is that I may not receive it by October 1. And in order to get the new passport, I have to send them my current expired passport. I don't want to go to Interview with no passport. Any ideas?

If they require a valid (non-expired) passport, I guess I'll have to chance it by trying to get a new passport.

06/2006 Filled N-400
07/2006 Fingerprint
08/2008 Fingerprint again
10/2008 Interview date

Thanks,
Norm

They do not require a passport. But you might need a proof of dates of your entries to US and entries to other countries. Usually a passport (expired or not, does not matter) is a good reference for those.

I received my interview letter yesterday. It's scheduled for October 1. I was gathering all my document and realized my home country passport expired August 31, 2008 (just a few days ago).

Should I try to get updated passport or should I take expired passport to interview?

The problem with trying to get new passport is that I may not receive it by October 1. And in order to get the new passport, I have to send them my current expired passport. I don't want to go to Interview with no passport. Any ideas?

If they require a valid (non-expired) passport, I guess I'll have to chance it by trying to get a new passport.

06/2006 Filled N-400
07/2006 Fingerprint
08/2008 Fingerprint again
10/2008 Interview date

Thanks,
Norm

A valid passport is NOT required for naturalization. The reason why the IO may ask to see your passport is to verify your trips abroad. Your expired passport will do just fine.

I entered USA 23 years ago. I have not put my foot outside USA since I entered 23 years ago. Student Visa (1985-1993) , Work Visa (1993-2001), Green card (2001-present). So I have no travel documents to show to them. I do have 4 old passports and the first one has my original enter date.

I entered USA 23 years ago. I have not put my foot outside USA since I entered 23 years ago. Student Visa (1985-1993) , Work Visa (1993-2001), Green card (2001-present). So I have no travel documents to show to them. I do have 4 old passports and the first one has my original enter date.

They really only care about the last 5 years of travel. Don't worry, they will be able to pull your travel history up from IBIS. If you never left the US you have nothing to worry about.

I would still take with you for the interview passports for the 5 recent years, if you have them.

Thank you all for your input. I also got an email from my immigration lawyer. He said that expired passport is fine (no need to renew). I'm very excited. I'll let you know how it turns out.

--Norm

Thank you all for your input. I also got an email from my immigration lawyer. He said that expired passport is fine (no need to renew). I'm very excited. I'll let you know how it turns out.

--Norm

It is advised to go with an expired passport, so in case they want to deport you, you will have no travel documents :D:D:D

Username,
Congradulation on getting the interview letter for citizenship, I am in a similar situation- got my 2nd finger print done in late August and still wait for the interview letter. I think your service center is also CSC, just like me. can you advise how long after the 2nd finger print I may expect the interview letter based on your case? Thanks in advance.

Hi Cllin123, I went in for my second fingerprint on 8/8/08. I received the interview letter on 09/02/2008. So just a little under a months. My lawyer told me (on July 08 when I received my 2nd fingerprint letter) that they usually don't request for 2nd finger print unless they are actually ready to review your case and schedule the interview. He said that I should get interview letter within 4 weeks after fingerprint. He was right on. Good luck and I hope you receive your interview letter soon.

Username, thanks for your information. I wonder if this one month rule applies to all the area under CSC or each area may be different. My area is near Los Angeles, where is your area? I even saw a post a few days ago that some one in San Jose bay area got his interview letter only 9 days after 2nd finger print..

Hi Cllin123, I went in for my second fingerprint on 8/8/08. I received the interview letter on 09/02/2008. So just a little under a months. My lawyer told me (on July 08 when I received my 2nd fingerprint letter) that they usually don't request for 2nd finger print unless they are actually ready to review your case and schedule the interview. He said that I should get interview letter within 4 weeks after fingerprint. He was right on. Good luck and I hope you receive your interview letter soon.