Interview next week -I do not have marriage certificate

Terese

Registered Users (C)
I have my interview scheduled next week. I do not have my marriage certificate. I was married in India about 7 years back. I sponsored my wife for green card. My green card is employment based. Now, We are applying for citizenship based on 5 year rule. My spouse is changing her last name to my last name (using N400 method).

Do we need our marriage certificate. If so, how difficult or easy, it is to get one from local clerk of the court. My passport (renewed from Indian consulate) shows my wife's name on it. Would that be a proof instead of marriage certificate?

I am panicking right now. Your response is appreciated. Thanks.

I have my interview scheduled next week. I do not have my marriage certificate. I was married in India about 7 years back. I sponsored my wife for green card. My green card is employment based. Now, We are applying for citizenship based on 5 year rule. My spouse is changing her last name to my last name (using N400 method).

Do we need our marriage certificate. If so, how difficult or easy, it is to get one from local clerk of the court. My passport (renewed from Indian consulate) shows my wife's name on it. Would that be a proof instead of marriage certificate?

How did your spouse get her green-card without the marraige certificate? Did you loose it or you never had one? It is easy to make such documents in India if you have someone there... just a matter of handing them the information and some pictures of Mahatma Gandhi.

I am not sure that either of you need a marriage certificate since you are applying using the 5-year rule. Being married is not a requirement for naturalization.

Your wife also does not need a marriage certificate for changing her name. Anyone can change their name to whatever they like and no document is needed to demonstrate why you picked a certain name.

You have a green card and sponsored your wife for green card :confused:

You have a green card and sponsored your wife for green card :confused:

Yes, even I am puzzled. Having a GC and sponsoring wife in India would take many years.

In anycase, if during GC you submitted marriage certificate which you would have had to, then USCIS will (hopefully) have it in their file.

Yes, even I am puzzled. Having a GC and sponsoring wife in India would take many years.

In anycase, if during GC you submitted marriage certificate which you would have had to, then USCIS will (hopefully) have it in their file.

Well, all EB categories were current last July so it was not so difficult to add a spouse while I-485 has been pending. However marrige certificate is definitely required for that purpose. I just think it's quicker to get it from India than from the USCIS.

Did you lose your marriage certificate? Hope your marriage ceritifcate is in the immigration file when you sponsored for green card. Marriage ceriticate is required for your spouse (more likely). In separate interview, your spouse will be asked for marriage ceriticate because you sponsored her for green card. For yourself, in separate interview, you may be asked for marriage ceritificate (small chance). My friend and his wife went for their interview (separate interviews with different interview officers). His wife was asked for marriage ceritifcate and he was not asked for it.

Do you have joint tax returns/transcripts? any bills showing your name and her name? lease agrement/mortgage agreement showing both your name and your spouse's name. any photos of your wedding? Bring them with you to the interview. Is it possible to call your Consulate to isse you the marriage letter (they may verify your marriage from database?) Can you get your relatives or someone in India to get a copy of marriage certificate for you (send it via fax)?

Have you thought about marriage ceriticate and supporting documents before you apply for N-400? How did your spouse get her green card without marriage certificate? If you don't have a marriage certificate or don't have time to get a copy of marriage certificate, then your case will be probably delayed and will probably give you more time to get marriage certificate. (I don't think it will be denied).

Last edited by a moderator:
i am sure the uscis has a copy of the marriage certificate in the big file, assuming that the wife got greencard based on marriage.

during the interview, you will see the interviewing officer with a big file, which contains almost ALL the forms/documents that the uscis has on you. (dating back as far as when you first applied for greencard) the marriage certificate copy should still be in it.

:)

The marrg certf is not req for either of the applicants since both are using the 5 yr rule. It would have been nice to take it along with you if you had it lying around the house. The marrg certf is good to have and the process is easier these days at least in the cities and towns in India that have computerised their gov records. Try to get this done after you both pass the IV ;-)

In our case neither of us was asked for the MC and this is the same for many of our friends who have similat GC cases as yours.

How did your spouse get her green-card without the marraige certificate?
I had my marriage certificate and could not find it anywhere now. I am trying to get it from India but now i am running short of time.

That is why i am applying for citizenship now. I have my greencard for over 7 years now but my wife just completed 5 years.

BTW, my indian passport has my wife's name on it (I renewed it 3 years back from Indian consulate in the US). Would that be OK? I also have my marriage invitation and lot of wedding pictures. I have joint bank accounts, mortgage statement etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Terese,
I was in the same situation as you. We both applied n400 based on 5 years rule. She was changing her last name to my last name. The interviewing office asked my wife for our marriage certificate (She did not ask me). We did not take it and it was not requested in our interview letter too. But fortunately the interviewing office had our marriage certificate in the file. BUT we went to the same local DO office for GC interview more than 5 years ago. I would suggest try harder and get the certificate before the interview.
I still don't know why they need marriage certificate (except for name change, which remove and do later). Both husband and wife are applying based on staying in US for 5 years after GC.