Interview Experience and Tips

dsatish

Registered Users (C)
Guys / Gals,
I became American on Oct 21st at Newark, NJ. The interview was just a typical one. It took about 10 minutes. Mine is a 5 year based (after employment based GC). Based on my experience i can cofidently say that if you have no negative factors in your record (never been arrested) then interview is just a formality. They will just ask you those 6 easy questions which will be from the 100 questions in the book that they gave you during finger printing. Going to citizenship interview is like going to stamping for your GC wen your case is already approved. They will not ask you any documents other than GC, Drivers License and Passport. You don't need any thin else. I have seen a few people posting that they were asked about birth certificate. Other than that you don't need to carry any thing else for 5 year GC based applications. The 3 yr marriage based people may have to take more documents (combined accounts, proof of living togather etc).

Let me pt my interview experiences in bulletin points :
1) Traffic Tickets : Don't sweat over traffic tickets unless they are DUI related or Accident leading to police arrest. The IO will only ask you have you ever been arrested and you will say "No". There ends the matter. He doesn't have your minor traffic affenses records in front of him. So don't bother about telling him these minor trivia. If you tell about them then you will have to submit detailed court disposal documents for those cases.
2) Parking : There are paid parking lots all across that Broad Street. At almost every traffic light (near this Federal building) you will see big boards about paid parking lots. Try the one opposite the church (which is next to the Federal building). It's 11 dollars for 10 hrs. If that is full, then try the one at the next traffic light. That's 14 dollars per day.
3) Interview timings : As soon as you enter 15th floor, you have to go to window 1 and submit your interview letter. It looks like in most cases people are being called 1 hour after they submit their interview letter at window1. The interview takes about 10 minutes (half of that time, the IO will be seeing your information on the computer and entering some information). All you need to do is answer the 6 questions and you will pass the interview.
4) Oath timings: After the interview,it's taking about 1 hr again to get the Oath handbook. Once you get the Oath handbook then you are ready for Oath. The Oath ceremonies take place at 11.15am, 2pm and 4.15pm. The ceremony takes about 20 minutes. After that you can head for your car.
5) Name change : It's very simple. If yo have not already mentioned in the N400, just tell the IO that you want name change. He will give you what ever name you want. Also some people like "OneMoreStupid" have asked about having their first names and middle names appearing differently in different identification documents like GC, Passport, SSN etc. Even my case is also a similar one. But it is a non issue. The IO's are very nice people (even though some of them may not appear or talk in a friendly way). They use common sense and they will not create beaurocratic problems.
6) Documents you need for interview : It depends on the type of application. If it is based on 5yr emplyment GC, then all you need is just GC, drivers license and Passport. You may also want to carry your birth certificate (just in case). There is no need for other documents.
7) Other / Miscellaneous tips : It's better to go there 1 or 1.5 hrs before the interview so that you will be called at your scheduled time. If you are able to take the 11am Oath or 2pm Oath then go to 10th floor (SSN office) and fill out the SSN update application and submit it. You need to show them your naturalization certificate in order to do this. There is a canteen on 2nd floor. I guess that it closes at 3.30pm.

Over all, it's a very simple process and you just go there and complete the formalities and become a happy American :) . Please let me know if any of you have any questions. I will be pleased to answer. My immigration journey in this country is finally over and i am enjoying it. The Green Card process was tough. I have worked with Rajiv Khanna during the I485 stage to put pressure on INS to expedite the process. If not for Rajiv's lawsuit against INS for I485 delays, our green card process would have been delayed by a few years. I thank him for helping the immigrants.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will not ask you any documents other than GC, Drivers License and Passport. .. Other than that you don't need to carry any thing else for 5 year GC based applications.

Congratulations!! Just a fyi, the IO may ask for more documents for 5 year based applications. Case in point; the IO asked my wife for marriage certificate eventhough we applied based on 5 years.

Hi,
Good to hear how the interview went. Took you just 4-5 months for the whole process from the date of filing to becoming a citizen? That's excellent news.

We hear of at least 6-9 months or may be longer at times.

My case is Green Card based on Employment, and it's just about time I filled my application. Doing it his week. I live in Connecticut. Kind of thinking about the traffic violations (just two, have to dig up the records) and the Selective Service thing. Never heard of it.

Any idea from people how long he process takes? Thanks.
akash

Congratulations!! Just a fyi, the IO may ask for more documents for 5 year based applications. Case in point; the IO asked my wife for marriage certificate eventhough we applied based on 5 years.

Hi Bobsmyth,

I'm in a similar situation as you, my wife had her GC through me (Employment based GC), and we have out interview on 11/10.

My wife is a full time mum, what will be the documentation they might ask her for beside the Marriage certificate ?, Would appreciate is you share you wife's full experience during the interview, Thanks

Minor traffic tickets

Did you mention minor traffic tickets in your application? I'm filling the application and forum is filled with all sorts of suggestions, I'm confused, should I mention them or not? I think I have 2 minor traffic violations in the past 5 years. Prompt response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Bobsmyth,

I'm in a similar situation as you, my wife had her GC through me (Employment based GC), and we have out interview on 11/10.

My wife is a full time mum, what will be the documentation they might ask her for beside the Marriage certificate ?, Would appreciate is you share you wife's full experience during the interview, Thanks

They might ask for passport and DL as well. Again, it depends on IO..my wife wasn't asked for passport whereas I was.
I had only brought along copy of marriage certificate as a last minute just in case thing..good thing I did since she was asked for it.

Did you mention minor traffic tickets in your application? I'm filling the application and forum is filled with all sorts of suggestions, I'm confused, should I mention them or not? I think I have 2 minor traffic violations in the past 5 years. Prompt response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I suggest you come to your own decision after reading both sides of the argument.

Hi Experts
I know I had asked this question before
While returning from Canada in July (after i had send my N-400 App), at border the Officer asked If I had got any gifts from Canada. I told him that I had dozen of mangoes, and I forget to mention abt small bag of vegetables (around $10-$15), the officer told that Agriculture specilaist will check if mangoes are okay to carry in US and that time the found bag of vegetables and they fined me $300 which I had paid.
is this Citation, Crime , deportation.
Will this be a problem and how do i tell IO tommorrow, I am planning to tell them

Also as far as DMV goes, My inspection on m car had expired and cop caught me for not having inspection done and asked me to pay fine and gave ticket.
I paid the fine

Customs infraction is not a citation, it's a fine..no need to disclose.
Car inspection ticket is a minor citation. Just mention it at interview. If you have proof of payment, then bring it as well.

Customs infraction is not a citation, it's a fine..no need to disclose.
Car inspection ticket is a minor citation. Just mention it at interview. If you have proof of payment, then bring it as well.

Bob
The reason theyfined me saying that, i forgot to mention or disclose at the customs
IF I mention tommorrow, Will it be problem. But If IO officer find out and ask me why did I hide that incident,

Also another thing I had forgot to mention aboutmy Canada trips in my app, i was just looking at passport and mention abt India trip
I know all my dates abt canad trip and have nw N-400 form with me

Bob
The reason theyfined me saying that, i forgot to mention or disclose at the customs
IF I mention tommorrow, Will it be problem. But If IO officer find out and ask me why did I hide that incident,

Why would you disclose something that is not required? Are you trying to make things more difficult for yourself?
If the IO asks, just tell him it was a fine, not a citation.

My suggestion to every one : If you are not arrested, then there is no need to talk about minor citations (traffic tickets etc). Talk / Mention about them only if you have full documentation about the case disposition. Other wise your case will become a cold case.
GC Ka Chakkar : Mention about the fine (vegetables one) only if you are specifically asked about it. If any one is asked for second time about if they have ever been arrested or cited, then it's a hint that he knows some thing that you have not mentioned.

Hi Experts
I know I had asked this question before
While returning from Canada in July (after i had send my N-400 App), at border the Officer asked If I had got any gifts from Canada. I told him that I had dozen of mangoes, and I forget to mention abt small bag of vegetables (around $10-$15), the officer told that Agriculture specilaist will check if mangoes are okay to carry in US and that time the found bag of vegetables and they fined me $300 which I had paid.
is this Citation, Crime , deportation.
Will this be a problem and how do i tell IO tommorrow, I am planning to tell them

Also as far as DMV goes, My inspection on m car had expired and cop caught me for not having inspection done and asked me to pay fine and gave ticket.
I paid the fine

How can you forget a bag of veggies and remember mangoes? :confused: I bet those mangoes were smashing sweet that they induced a memory loss of veggies goody bag...:) I think $300 was excessive and uncalled for, unless the officials hadn't fined anyone in 3 years, $100 for each of the past 3 years...:eek:

Guys / Gals,
I became American on Oct 21st at Newark, NJ. The interview was just a typical one. It took about 10 minutes. Mine is a 5 year based (after employment based GC). Based on my experience i can cofidently say that if you have no negative factors in your record (never been arrested) then interview is just a formality. They will just ask you those 6 easy questions which will be from the 100 questions in the book that they gave you during finger printing. Going to citizenship interview is like going to stamping for your GC wen your case is already approved. They will not ask you any documents other than GC, Drivers License and Passport. You don't need any thin else. I have seen a few people posting that they were asked about birth certificate. Other than that you don't need to carry any thing else for 5 year GC based applications. The 3 yr marriage based people may have to take more documents (combined accounts, proof of living togather etc).

Let me pt my interview experiences in bulletin points :
1) Traffic Tickets : Don't sweat over traffic tickets unless they are DUI related or Accident leading to police arrest. The IO will only ask you have you ever been arrested and you will say "No". There ends the matter. He doesn't have your minor traffic affenses records in front of him. So don't bother about telling him these minor trivia. If you tell about them then you will have to submit detailed court disposal documents for those cases.
2) Parking : There are paid parking lots all across that Broad Street. At almost every traffic light (near this Federal building) you will see big boards about paid parking lots. Try the one opposite the church (which is next to the Federal building). It's 11 dollars for 10 hrs. If that is full, then try the one at the next traffic light. That's 14 dollars per day.
3) Interview timings : As soon as you enter 15th floor, you have to go to window 1 and submit your interview letter. It looks like in most cases people are being called 1 hour after they submit their interview letter at window1. The interview takes about 10 minutes (half of that time, the IO will be seeing your information on the computer and entering some information). All you need to do is answer the 6 questions and you will pass the interview.
4) Oath timings: After the interview,it's taking about 1 hr again to get the Oath handbook. Once you get the Oath handbook then you are ready for Oath. The Oath ceremonies take place at 11.15am, 2pm and 4.15pm. The ceremony takes about 20 minutes. After that you can head for your car.
5) Name change : It's very simple. If yo have not already mentioned in the N400, just tell the IO that you want name change. He will give you what ever name you want. Also some people like "OneMoreStupid" have asked about having their first names and middle names appearing differently in different identification documents like GC, Passport, SSN etc. Even my case is also a similar one. But it is a non issue. The IO's are very nice people (even though some of them may not appear or talk in a friendly way). They use common sense and they will not create beaurocratic problems.
6) Documents you need for interview : It depends on the type of application. If it is based on 5yr emplyment GC, then all you need is just GC, drivers license and Passport. You may also want to carry your birth certificate (just in case). There is no need for other documents.
7) Other / Miscellaneous tips : It's better to go there 1 or 1.5 hrs before the interview so that you will be called at your scheduled time. If you are able to take the 11am Oath or 2pm Oath then go to 10th floor (SSN office) and fill out the SSN update application and submit it. You need to show them your naturalization certificate in order to do this. There is a canteen on 2nd floor. I guess that it closes at 3.30pm.

Over all, it's a very simple process and you just go there and complete the formalities and become a happy American :) . Please let me know if any of you have any questions. I will be pleased to answer. My immigration journey in this country is finally over and i am enjoying it. The Green Card process was tough. I have worked with Rajiv Khanna during the I485 stage to put pressure on INS to expedite the process. If not for Rajiv's lawsuit against INS for I485 delays, our green card process would have been delayed by a few years. I thank him for helping the immigrants.

A nice and detailed summary of your experience. Congratulations on becoming a newly minted USC..:D

Hi Bobsmyth,

My wife is also a home maker and she got GC through me. She was not asked for any documents other than GC, DL and Passport. No need for all the tax returns and bank statements. Just carry the above 3 docs and also birth certificate and Marriage certificate just to be safe.