Interview coming up, did not file change of address

justfiled

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

Need a bit of advice as to what to do. My interview is coming up at the end of the month and I just realized, having moved twice since I've gotten the GC, I didn't file any AR-11 or change my address with the DMV. Here, I have to add that I don't really have a driver's license. I just got a learner's permit in 2009 and failed my road test twice :( and then gave up on the whole process so it didn't even occur to me to file an address change with the DMV because I don't even consider it an ID and frankly I forgot that I even had a learner's permit till right now.

I tried going online at the DMV website and doing it now but it's not working-says the records I'm entering doesn't match their records :mad:

The address shown on my learner's permit is still local, as in a NY address, and I've never changed cities, so it will still show proof of residency if that's all it's for.

As for AR-11, I don't know what to do now. I can do it online but what address do I change it to? In 2009 I moved to a new apt and I didn't file the AR-11. Then since last Sept, I'm getting all my mail in a PO Box since I'm studying abroad temporarily and renting my apt out. Can I change my AR-11 to that? Or, should I change it to my apt, where I will eventually return in a few months but there are tenants there now?
When I filed the N-400, I used a family member's address (also in the same city) to receive all the notifications.

File AR-11 for your latest address. Once you file it, they generally don't care about past failures to file.

If learning to drive is an obstacle, apply for a state ID from your current state ASAP. Your old learners permit is dead and you didn't need to change your address for it.

Thanks Jack. I have done the AR-11 online. As for the learner's permit. It is valid till 2014. I'm out of the country at the moment and will only be returning back the day before the interview so I won't have time to get a state ID. I'm going to try and call the DMV on Monday and change the address over the phone and have them mail out a new card. They say it takes up to 14 days but maybe I'll get lucky.
I'm just wondering, what if I didn't have this learner's permit or a state ID at all? Up until 2009, I really didn't have either and always brought my GC or passport as photo evidence. They cant possibly deny me based on the fact that I don't have either, can they? I didn't realize it was a rule/law to have one or the other. I didn't have it during my GC process either and it was no trouble.
I also just realized I forgot to mention my current employer on the N-400. I don't know what possessed me to do that. I think I must have just skipped over to the next Q after listing my last employer. Arrgh. I'm totally panicking at the moment!

They sometimes want to see a state ID or driver's license from your current state, as one part of the evidence that you are a resident of the state where your interview occurs. But if your unexpired learners permit is from the same state you're living in, and you have no other circumstances that put your state of residence into question (e.g. working or owning a home in New Jersey while claiming to be a resident of NY, or your spouse applied for citizenship in another state), you should be OK.

That's a relief to know. I hope they don't make life difficult for me. There's no other circumstances that should put this into question. I've lived and worked in NYC for 15 years now so any record I have for anything, has to be from here. Never even traveled more than 2 or 3 weeks of the year before. Only since last Sept I've been traveling quite a bit for a course I'm doing overseas but am still maintaining almost everything in NY (incl my employment) other than my apt which I had to rent out.

You should be fine. I do not think they care much about filling change of address as long as you do it for the last one.
Address is rarely an issue unless if you are trying to apply in a state that you have not lived in at all

Quick clarification on this AR-11 thing. How big of an issue is this for citizenship interview? I have changed addresses couple of times in the last 2 years and I can't recollect how many times I have filed an AR-11 ?

After I moved to my current address 5 months back, I filed my N-400 as well as I-130 for my spouse from this new address. I can't recollect if I did file an AR-11 for my last move. Now that USCIS has my current address from the filings I have made, should I go ahead an file an AR-11? Please note that my address has not changed since I filed the N-400. If I did miss filing the last AR-11, will it cause any issues during naturalization interview?

Thanks in advance for your inputs..

Quick clarification on this AR-11 thing. How big of an issue is this for citizenship interview? I have changed addresses couple of times in the last 2 years and I can't recollect how many times I have filed an AR-11 ?

After I moved to my current address 5 months back, I filed my N-400 as well as I-130 for my spouse from this new address. I can't recollect if I did file an AR-11 for my last move. Now that USCIS has my current address from the filings I have made, should I go ahead an file an AR-11? Please note that my address has not changed since I filed the N-400. If I did miss filing the last AR-11, will it cause any issues during naturalization interview?

Thanks in advance for your inputs..

The issue of "if it matters for the N-400" depends on if the move was from another state or not and how long you lived at a new address (in a new state) before filing. A local move is not a problem for the N-400. For instance, moving from Brooklyn to Manhatten is no big deal but moving from Brooklyn to Newark (or Los Angeles) would be a problem if one filed before residing in the new place for 3 months.

I've missed a couple of AR-11s, but it was never called into question. I think as long as you get your mail during the naturalisation process, you're good.

Thanks BigJoe5. My move was from a different state. However I have met the 3 month state residency requirements before filing for N-400. My concerns are primarily about any missed AR-11s and if they might come up during naturalization interview.

The issue of "if it matters for the N-400" depends on if the move was from another state or not and how long you lived at a new address (in a new state) before filing. A local move is not a problem for the N-400. For instance, moving from Brooklyn to Manhatten is no big deal but moving from Brooklyn to Newark (or Los Angeles) would be a problem if one filed before residing in the new place for 3 months.

TOnly since last Sept I've been traveling quite a bit for a course I'm doing overseas but am still maintaining almost everything in NY (incl my employment) other than my apt which I had to rent out.

More than AR-11, this seems to be the risk area. If you are not maintaining your apartment, you could be seen as moved abroad. It depends on your pattern of travel (whether it is just these last 6 months, or more), and so on, but keep an eye in this area and make your absences from US shorter to the extent possible.

More than AR-11, this seems to be the risk area. If you are not maintaining your apartment, you could be seen as moved abroad. It depends on your pattern of travel (whether it is just these last 6 months, or more), and so on, but keep an eye in this area and make your absences from US shorter to the extent possible.

I know. Am a bit nervous about that but yes, it's only since the last six months. Not maintaining apt for financial reasons but maintaining a ton of other things including employment. Travel only for education purposes and due to end fairly soon but can't really control it.