Interview and US passport

If u have time, get the tax transcripts from IRS. I submitted copies of my tax returns, but to be on safer side, I went to IRS office and got the transcripts.

Though, I did not have any spotty employment issues or trips outside the country, the A.O. asked me about taxes, and when he saw that I have transcripts, he took it from me.

I work as a consultant and my work history is totally spotty. I had my original tax filings with me and transcripts - no one cared. (Going 1099, W2, working abroad etc.)

But of course it could always be different.

2. I am surprised no one mentioned that it is seriously ILLEGAL to send any passport by mail/fedex etc. You do not want to do that, don't put ur self and ur roommate into this kinda precarious situation.

so if ur roomate can't mail it to you, u won't have US passport __ how will u come back to US?

Are you serious? The passport agency will send you your passport by mail, if you need a visa you will probably need to send your passport and have it returned by mail.

That was my last point, there is no rhyme or reason in IO asking to see tax papers, but I think they don't ask for tax papers most of the time.

Yup

as it states in the Passport, it is Gov'mt property and as such subject to Gov'mt regulations and subsequently may not be mailed to a forgein country as the holder of the passport would technically not be in posession of said passport (during the time that thing is going through the mail system) and that simply is a no-no.

I found this-

Beginning on April 8, 2002, American citizens residing or traveling abroad who require issuance of a U.S. passport will be issued the latest, state-of-the-art passport incorporating a photo-digitized image and other enhanced security features. These passports will be issued at the National Passport Center (NPC) in Portsmouth, N.H. and returned to the Embassy/Consulate abroad by express mail. U.S. Embassies and Consulates will continue to issue passports for emergencies requiring immediate travel.

If it is good enough for the government it is good enough for me :)

Not my problem then - enjoy filling out the customs declaration where you have to state what you mail and to where and check with the postal worker.

I am sure there will be some raised eyebrows.

And mail by Gov'mt is diplomatic mail - unlike what you mail around.

Not my problem then - enjoy filling out the customs declaration where you have to state what you mail and to where and check with the postal worker.

I am sure there will be some raised eyebrows.

And mail by Gov'mt is diplomatic mail - unlike what you mail around.

Raised eyebrows for documents? I don't think so.

I doubt the passport agency uses a diplomatic bag for every (any) one it sends out, they tend to save those for the more important stuff.

I would tend to think that MartinAub is right on his point. However, as a practical matter I would not be surprised to hear that someone has successfully mailed a passport to a foreign country, the same way there are a bunch of people who successfully have broken into homes, cars, or shoplifted something, that doesn't make it right though. Passports falling into the wrong hands might be subject to be forged and used for fraudulent purposes. All that being said, I don't recall of any official or semi-official document explicitly stating this prohibition on sending the passport by mail or express mail to another country.

I would tend to think that MartinAub is right on his point. However, as a practical matter I would not be surprised to hear that someone has successfully mailed a passport to a foreign country, the same way there are a bunch of people who successfully have broken into homes, cars, or shoplifted something, that doesn't make it right though. Passports falling into the wrong hands might be subject to be forged and used for fraudulent purposes. All that being said, I don't recall of any official or semi-official document explicitly stating this prohibition on sending the passport by mail or express mail to another country.

It is also possible to have a courier deliver it to you - usually a friend or a friend of a friend. I belong to a community that does that, and people are usually willing to take it with themselves when they're visiting their home country as well. You just wait for them at the airport, get the envelope, and be done.

Though I would still be inclined to suggest to wait for the passport and only then travel.

Huracan,

I would agree, but not in this scenario. i.e. after the oath you are american and NEED to leave the country on your US passport, which is obviously impossible. Than you have a friend picking up your mail and send it abroad.

So, just the mere setup here is already impossible to do (legally) and this is why it's nuts. Of course could one "in theory" mail a passport, but I cannot even come up with an example under which that would be possible, unless one is lucky and doesn't care that a law is broken. Even if I were travelling to Germany on my US passport (and I could enter w/o a problem) and have my German one mailed, I already commit an offense as I as a German HAVE to enter Germany on my German passport.

Thus - this is nuts unless one comes up with a feasable logic.

I agree with you and I was probably the first to make the point that one is supposed to leave the country with the US passport. I think the original poster has already got the point ;) We are just going into philosophical debates.

That was not the discussion, you stated that it was ILLEGAL to mail a passport I disagree, but obviously if you must have your German passport to enter Germany you must have it when you board the plane. Same thing with the US you MUST enter with your US passport and yes, technically you must leave with it, but at present there is no check that you do so.

I agree with you and I was probably the first to make the point that one is supposed to leave the country with the US passport. I think the original poster has already got the point ;) We are just going into philosophical debates.

We are indeed, but why not?