Interview and US passport

psilva00

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have my citizenship interview/ test on Feb 13. My question is, can I travel overseas right after the interviw and oath on my brazilian passport and have my roommade mail my new us passport to me? Or do I have to wait for the passport to leave the country? Of course, if everything goes well on the interview I will rush to the post office to apply for passport. I just can't wait weeks or months to get it. Please guys let me know what you know about this issue.

thank you

You can go to a passport agency office (not post office) and apply for a same day passport if you have the plane tickets to prove your urgent need. Don't leave the country without your US passport.

Yes, after your oath, do not leave the country without your US passport. As Huracan said, Passport Agencies can supply you with a US passport within a day if the trip is within a week or less and within 2 days if the trip is within 2 weeks.

after you oath, you will get your naturalized certificate. After the oath, you will be a dual national. The US doesn't care if you are a citizen of other country or not but is adviced to travel with your US passport but you can only enter the US with your US passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I thought. I was planning to travel with my Brazilian passport and have my friend mail me the US one when it arrives. But I'd better go to a Passport Office and try to get in asap.

thank you all

Most people will advise you here to leave the US with a US passport, you can enter Brazil with the Brazilian passport, that's ok. I am sure there are other interesting quotes, but according to this page a US citizen must leave and enter with a US passport. You might interpret the page as you please, but for me it means that at the time of writing that webpage it was still possible to travel to some countries without passport.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I wonder also that the airline might give you trouble boarding if you cannot show what was your status in the US, either with a Green Card, an I-94 or a US passport. Anyway, it seems you are going to go the Passport Office route that I think should be the best way. However, from a hypothetical point of view, if you could board the plane it is possible that you could have carried out your original intentions, but just think if there was some trouble with obtaining the passport, you could be stuck outside the country trying to figure out how to come back in :(

You are absolutely right. I really appreciate your help. I will definately get my US passport before leaving the country.
But I have a question. I am coming from Brazil right before the interview and I will probably return a few days after it, as long as I can get my passport at the Passport Office. Now, what do I need to show them to get the passport right away? Is it just my return ticket?

Thank you

So post office can't do expedite passports? To do the expedite passports do we need to go to passport agency?

Expedite takes a couple of weeks. That you may be able to do at a USPS office. In order to get it right away, it looks like you would need to go to a Passport Office. I am not 100% sure though. Someone here may be able to give us a more accurate answer.

So post office can't do expedite passports? To do the expedite passports do we need to go to passport agency?

Yes, the post office can but not in the same way as Passport Agencies. The agencies are there to provide emergency passports to people traveling within two weeks or less.

Generally when you leave you on a non-US passport, you would need an I-94 or a green card. Since you would have given away your green card at the Oath, you cannot provide this to the airlines.

I am not sure whether the airlines will allow you to board.

You are absolutely right. I really appreciate your help. I will definately get my US passport before leaving the country.
But I have a question. I am coming from Brazil right before the interview and I will probably return a few days after it, as long as I can get my passport at the Passport Office. Now, what do I need to show them to get the passport right away? Is it just my return ticket?

Thank you

Yes, the return ticket should be all you need. By the way, do you know for sure that your local office does same day oaths? I mean the same day of your interview. I know that some offices do, but others don't. I guess you have already verified this.

1. Make a reservation with ur nearest passport agency. They can make ur passport in one day.
2. I am surprised no one mentioned that it is seriously ILLEGAL to send any passport by mail/fedex etc. You do not want to do that, don't put ur self and ur roommate into this kinda precarious situation.

so if ur roomate can't mail it to you, u won't have US passport __ how will u come back to US?

Thank you everyone for all the info you have provided me. I will make an appointment at a local Passport Agency and hopefully I can receive my passport right away.

Cheers

I have a friend who went to Colombia on his Colombian passport and had his US passport sent to him. He hasn't re-entered the US so far, so I don't know the full story, so I'm not advising you to do it. By the way, an airline can't prevent you from boarding a flight to your own country just because you don't have an I94.

It's actually quite easy to get a passport on the same day you're naturalized. All you need to do is to make an in-person appointment at your nearest passport agency, give them your naturalization certificate, pictures, and relevant docs and they'll have your passport ready within a couple of hours. My naturalization ceremony was at 9 am, I had my passport in hand by 2 pm the same day.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I need to show any IRS tax documentation at the interview. According to the checklist, I don't need to, but since some of you have been through this process already, it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, they ask for any passport I may have. Will they take them? Brazil allows dual citizenship. BTW, Anyone has done it at Fairfax, VA location?

Thank you

No, they will only look at the visa stamps in the passport, but won't take the passports from you. Tax documents are rarely asked for, if you have a spotty employment record, with a lot of self-employed work, or a lot of trips out of the country they might ask for the tax documents to make sure you have paid your taxes. Again, there is no clear pattern in my mind about when and when not they ask for this. In my case they didn't ask me.

In San Francisco you need to make an appointment.
Don't recall where you live, but I had my Interview and Oath on different days. I actually flew in from Germany for both since I had a job there at the time. When I knew about the oath date, I made an appointment for the day after (as it is quite a drive for me).

What I was NOT aware of is that you get called in at 10 am, then sit around until your number is called, get kicked out to come back at 4 pm (wait another 45 min) and get the Passport.

So in essence, this was a whole day for me.

I took my Natz certificate and a ticket printout with me. The ticket wasn't even looked at.

Now - if I was living in SF, I probably would always go that route and never via the postal office - on the other hand, the process is really a pain, if you need a passport urgently. BUT I shouldn't complain since the German Govt. screwed up that process even more by now requiring finger prints. For my money they can forget that I renew my passport any time soon.