India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RajapKp.........

Hi,
Did your daughter get the approval letter within 3 weeks of applying or three weeks back????? Please let me know, as I'd applied 6 weeks ago, and no letter yet from CGINY and the status hasn't changed, and I need to go to India, preferably with an OCI card.

Thanks,

rajapkp said:
Good Afternoon Folks,

I applied with my two children in March 2006 to NY consulate. My daughter got the approval letter three weeks and asked to send the passport. But I did not get any notice so far.

Can I send my passports to NY along with my daughter even though only my daughter got the approval letter. I waited for three weeks and no letter yet.

Is it possible to monitor online if the leter was sent or not ?

Thanks for your inputs in advance
-Sameer

Status changed to under process

Application status changed from "File yet to register" to "Under process" in just two weeks. For details, checkout the "Washington DC Tracker" thread.

madabushi said:
Application status changed from "File yet to register" to "Under process" in just two weeks. For details, checkout the "Washington DC Tracker" thread.
WOW!! I think urs is fastest one, whos status changed in record time.

Hi Guys,

First post here.
Great thread and lots of info.

I have one question re photos.
I read that some of you got yours returned because it was not what they wanted.

So what is the correct size/background color etc.. that the Indian consulate want along with the OCI application. I am assuming they want a total of 5 photos.

Thanks

Someone please clarify......

Hi all,
Okay, here's the deal!!!!- My OCI application (with only the 2 attached photos) was recd. by CGINY on 04-05-06 and just today, it went to "under Process" .
I have a few questions:
Firstly, my bank says THE MONEY ORDER has not been cashed!!- But it went to "under Process" and my name is correct !!!!!- I didn't know it could do that!!

For the OCI card, does the MHA in India say it's "Granted" and then the processing comes to CGINY, and they send in the letter for our US passports-

Is this how it works?? And what happens, if it's "under Process" and I go to India, and once it says "Granted", while I'm in India, could I go in India to get the actual booklet, card??????-
I'm sorry - Hope you can understand my questions"
1) Do the OCI booklets / Sticker, etc.. when they come from INDIA, have our names already on them, or are they blank and then CGINY puts our names??
2) Can I get the OCI sticker (U Visa), and the OCI booklet while in India if it says "Granted"?????

Thanks,

ASGK said:
Hi all,
Okay, here's the deal!!!!- My OCI application (with only the 2 attached photos) was recd. by CGINY on 04-05-06 and just today, it went to "under Process" .
I have a few questions:
Firstly, my bank says THE MONEY ORDER has not been cashed!!- But it went to "under Process" and my name is correct !!!!!- I didn't know it could do that!!

For the OCI card, does the MHA in India say it's "Granted" and then the processing comes to CGINY, and they send in the letter for our US passports-

Is this how it works?? And what happens, if it's "under Process" and I go to India, and once it says "Granted", while I'm in India, could I go in India to get the actual booklet, card??????-
I'm sorry - Hope you can understand my questions"
1) Do the OCI booklets / Sticker, etc.. when they come from INDIA, have our names already on them, or are they blank and then CGINY puts our names??
2) Can I get the OCI sticker (U Visa), and the OCI booklet while in India if it says "Granted"?????

Thanks,

I doubt that you will get the sticker/booklet in India, since the place of issue for both the sticker and the booklet is CGI-NY. Moreover the signatory on both is Sasi Kumar Consul in NY.

How to contact Houston Consulate?

Hi guys,

Does any one had any luck contacting houston consulate for OCI related issues. Till now I have been trying to reach them via emails,phone & Fax from last 15 days and can't seen to get through them.

It's been the most frustating experience on my life. :mad:

Srini

Quick note to let you know that I am in India. At Mumbai, they did ask for my OCI card - don't know why - but I was able to use the short queue so no problems other than this ...

ATLVAS said:
Hi guys,

Does any one had any luck contacting houston consulate for OCI related issues. Till now I have been trying to reach them via emails,phone & Fax from last 15 days and can't seen to get through them.

It's been the most frustating experience on my life. :mad:

Srini
in previsious post garauv mention direct no to consulgeneral houston.
he got it from mha n. delhi

Pio1.......

PIO1 said:
Quick note to let you know that I am in India. At Mumbai, they did ask for my OCI card - don't know why - but I was able to use the short queue so no problems other than this ...

Hi,
Does anyone know, if the OCI status says "Granted", and I take a print out of that paper to India, are there separate lines when we reach Mumbai airport for the OCI card and can I go there, or just because I don't have a card yet, do I not get to go there??/ Does anyone know the situation at Mumbai airport now for U.S. citizens / OCI card holders, etc....?

Thanks,

ASGK said:
Hi,
Does anyone know, if the OCI status says "Granted", and I take a print out of that paper to India, are there separate lines when we reach Mumbai airport for the OCI card and can I go there, or just because I don't have a card yet, do I not get to go there??/ Does anyone know the situation at Mumbai airport now for U.S. citizens / OCI card holders, etc....?

Thanks,

Please see my response in the separate thread for the same question.

ASGK said:
Hi,

Thanks,

No.The print out has no validity and CANNOT be used as a substitue for the OCI visa.
If you travel without your OCI card you stand in the foreigners line.

One question -

I came to India in Jan 2006 on PIO card. I applied for OCI in India for both self and kid. And it got granted status in March 2006. I had to send our photos 3 times ...yes 3 times. And now OCI section told me that they have finally received those and are ok, our cards are ready. And our passports and cards will be despatched tomorrow and I will receive those next week.

My questions are -

a) I did not register with FRRO as a PIO holder - I think I have until 30th June since it is 6 months limit to register. Will that be a problem?

b) The kid entered India in Aug and since then is here....ideally we should have registered by Jan but I read on PIO card that children below 16 are not reqd to be registered and hence did not register. And also we are aniticipating his OCI with mine so is there any issue?

PIO1 said:
can you let us know
OCI should use line foe indian citizen
or they use line for foreign citizen

inindia said:
One question -

I came to India in Jan 2006 on PIO card. I applied for OCI in India for both self and kid. And it got granted status in March 2006. I had to send our photos 3 times ...yes 3 times. And now OCI section told me that they have finally received those and are ok, our cards are ready. And our passports and cards will be despatched tomorrow and I will receive those next week.

My questions are -

a) I did not register with FRRO as a PIO holder - I think I have until 30th June since it is 6 months limit to register. Will that be a problem?

b) The kid entered India in Aug and since then is here....ideally we should have registered by Jan but I read on PIO card that children below 16 are not reqd to be registered and hence did not register. And also we are aniticipating his OCI with mine so is there any issue?

a.No

b.No

Enjoy !

gotia said:
can you let us know
OCI should use line foe indian citizen
or they use line for foreign citizen

Indian citizens,PIO card holders and OCI card holders stand in the same line,as far as i know

mangal969 said:
Indian citizens,PIO card holders and OCI card holders stand in the same line,as far as i know

Why should PIO and OCI card holders stand in the same line as Indian Citizen? They are foreigners and should go to foreigner line.

Just my 2 paisa.

Help..... just 2 more ??s

Hi,
As my travel date gets nearer, I'm consumed by soooo many confusing questions. But, I promise I won't bug anymore-- :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Just 2 questions:

1) If my OCI status has been granted, but I don't have the card yet, when I go to India, do I register with the FRRO, etc....?????? And if so, when do I do that and if it's a place where there're no FRROs, where do I register?? i.e. do I register even though on the computer, my OCI card has been granted and if so, do I do it with the local authorities, etc......??

2) If the OCI card has not been granted yet, before I leave for India, when do I acutally register? And if there're no FRROs, for eg. in a place like Bangalore, do I register, and if so, when, as soon as I land in India, etc...??? And do I have to pay any $$???

Thanks,

ASGK said:
Hi,
As my travel date gets nearer, I'm consumed by soooo many confusing questions. But, I promise I won't bug anymore-- :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Just 2 questions:

1) If my OCI status has been granted, but I don't have the card yet, when I go to India, do I register with the FRRO, etc....?????? And if so, when do I do that and if it's a place where there're no FRROs, where do I register?? i.e. do I register even though on the computer, my OCI card has been granted and if so, do I do it with the local authorities, etc......??

2) If the OCI card has not been granted yet, before I leave for India, when do I acutally register? And if there're no FRROs, for eg. in a place like Bangalore, do I register, and if so, when, as soon as I land in India, etc...??? And do I have to pay any $$???

Thanks,
I think you are trying hard to see a non existing problem under a big microscope. Are you planning to stay in India for more than 6 months? If it a short trip just go enjoy your trip forgetting all that FRRO hype.

OCI Received finally but holding Indian passports

I am happy to inform the forum that I finally received my OCI and US passport with OCI stamping. I would like to thank the forum and some of the very helpful members like mangal, fitness, gotia, PIO and others. Its solid five months of agony, torture and frustration. I applied in January.

As you guessed it right, my woes are not over yet. I sent our Indian passports along with US passport for cancellation with a clear instruction on the letter to return them after cancellation. They just sent the OCI, US passport and retained the rest.

We are entitled to keep the cancelled passports right ? I am sure they will be of value as they are the only proof of past travel record and my past Indian citizenship. What to do now ? Go through the same routine again: phone, fax and email ? Unfortunately, this time MEA cannot help as they are not involved.