India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gaurav2005 said:
I am happy to inform the forum that I finally received my OCI and US passport with OCI stamping. I would like to thank the forum and some of the very helpful members like mangal, fitness, gotia, PIO and others. Its solid five months of agony, torture and frustration. I applied in January.

As you guessed it right, my woes are not over yet. I sent our Indian passports along with US passport for cancellation with a clear instruction on the letter to return them after cancellation. They just sent the OCI, US passport and retained the rest.

We are entitled to keep the cancelled passports right ? I am sure they will be of value as they are the only proof of past travel record and my past Indian citizenship. What to do now ? Go through the same routine again: phone, fax and email ? Unfortunately, this time MEA cannot help as they are not involved.

Congratulations Gourav2005. Your Indian passport(s) should be returned to you after cancellation. You can perhaps send them an email requesting them to be returned back. The cancellation process is normally very quick.

Do I send the postage paid envelope to them ?

Fitness99, thanks

I already sent an email asking them to send the cancelled Indian passports. The problem is they already used up the 15$ for sending the OCI through FEDEX. I am not sure whether they will pay for this again or not.

On the other hand, even if I send the postage paid envelope that probably will be lost somewhere in the mail room because there is no one connecting the dots. Last time I was asked to resend the photos, I rushed the new photos but they never used them. They sent the OCI with the old spotty picture. (not that bad). MEA must have gotten tired of CGI-Houston and used the same photo. Hopefully they dont reject me while entering India. :)

Photo Problem solver

Anyone needing a photo in Houston - west area are welcome to contact me. For a small fee will get you a great picture.....way better than walgreens kinkos etc.

gaurav2005 said:
Fitness99, thanks

I already sent an email asking them to send the cancelled Indian passports. The problem is they already used up the 15$ for sending the OCI through FEDEX. I am not sure whether they will pay for this again or not.

On the other hand, even if I send the postage paid envelope that probably will be lost somewhere in the mail room because there is no one connecting the dots. Last time I was asked to resend the photos, I rushed the new photos but they never used them. They sent the OCI with the old spotty picture. (not that bad). MEA must have gotten tired of CGI-Houston and used the same photo. Hopefully they dont reject me while entering India. :)

Personally, I would wait for a response from them before sending the postage paid envelope. If you get an email response, you can perhaps include that along with your postage paid envelope so that they can connect the dots.

gaurav2005 said:
I am happy to inform the forum that I finally received my OCI and US passport with OCI stamping. I would like to thank the forum and some of the very helpful members like mangal, fitness, gotia, PIO and others. Its solid five months of agony, torture and frustration. I applied in January.

As you guessed it right, my woes are not over yet. I sent our Indian passports along with US passport for cancellation with a clear instruction on the letter to return them after cancellation. They just sent the OCI, US passport and retained the rest.

We are entitled to keep the cancelled passports right ? I am sure they will be of value as they are the only proof of past travel record and my past Indian citizenship. What to do now ? Go through the same routine again: phone, fax and email ? Unfortunately, this time MEA cannot help as they are not involved.
congratulation gaurav.
i know your pain and agony.
me to was pass through same till i get my OCI
as for as i know both end (mha emi india and houston) keep record of surrendered IC/canceleed IPassport)
cancelled IP is yours
better to have it

Hurrah.....finally I got my OCI cards alongwith the OCI visa in passports today. It was delivered by speedpost ( I am truly amazed ....as the name suggests it is truly 'speed'post eventhough it is operated by GOI Postal Dept.).

For those who are not following this thread regularly brief details -

I and minor child had PIO card. Currently in India. did not register with FRRO / FRO as PIO cardholder - instead decided to apply for OCI in India

15th Feb 2006 applied around at a FRRO
6th March 2006 got an email from MHA around for file number
20th March 2006 got granted status on the site
30th March 2006 sent the passport to OCI cell, MHA Delhi
5th April 2006 Sent the photos again as they told me that they could not scan properly the earlier ones

From then called them numerous times and didn't have any update as to when I'll get my passports / OCI card back. Almost every time they told me that it is almost ready and will be sent. Someone is on leave etc.

5th May 2006 After a month and 10 long distance cell phone calls from Mumbai I understood that they never received the photos. The person also gave me a very very imp advice - 'Please send the documents in person or by speedpost only. Documents sent by courier are not encouraged by GOI depts. Many people have lost their passports, other docs when sent by courier'

I was really loosing my patience and feared about my passports, goof ups in OCI etc.

15th May 2006 I sent my photos again. And this time it was by speedpost. again I confirmed that they actually received it - had to make more than one call of course.

And finally I got it today by speedpost - everything correct and accurate. Photos are really very good - much better than various Foreign visas I had on the Indian Passport.

So finally after a wait of 4 months and nerve-wrecking moments I have the much coveted (?) OCI and more importantly my passports in my custody.

Our OCIs showed up as received on cgisf wbesite today and asked us to send the passports for U visa stamp and sticker.

BTW: I didnot send our Indian Passports for cancellation. Shall I have to send them for cancellation or I can retain them without sending for cancellation.

SDQmer said:
Our OCIs showed up as received on cgisf wbesite today and asked us to send the passports for U visa stamp and sticker.

BTW: I didnot send our Indian Passports for cancellation. Shall I have to send them for cancellation or I can retain them without sending for cancellation.

Yes please. Send your Indian passport for cancellation. They will return it after cancelling - dont keep the Indian passport without cancellation with you.

inindia said:
Yes please. Send your Indian passport for cancellation. They will return it after cancelling - dont keep the Indian passport without cancellation with you.
in india
at bombay airport two line
one for indiancitizen
one for fereign citizen
is that right

Approved at Chicago but no letter

I applied for OCI at Chicago Consulate on February 22, 2006. As per the Chicago consulate website, my number is in the list for which they have received OCI documents and U Visa stickers since April 10, 2006. I have not yet received any email or letter of approval from the consulate. Should I send the passport or wait to receive the letter first ?

Thanks,

Kabir

kabir10 said:
I applied for OCI at Chicago Consulate on February 22, 2006. As per the Chicago consulate website, my number is in the list for which they have received OCI documents and U Visa stickers since April 10, 2006. I have not yet received any email or letter of approval from the consulate. Should I send the passport or wait to receive the letter first ?

Thanks,

Kabir

If the website says that your OCI cards have arrived at the chicago consulate go ahead and send your passport.

Update: For safety reconfirm on the online enquiry before sending

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, now you know when the photos & signatures were scanned and when the sticker was dispatched and when received at the local mission.

Online status improved

MHA website for online status has been spruced up and it now looks really professional grade. Way to go MHA. :)

May be the answer is buried in this humongous thread but here is my question:

I've noticed that MHA has stopped working on Houston's apps from 5/17. Also they aren't working on SF but are working on NY.

Is my assumption correct that they are tackling the apps by CGI and not by the acknowledged dates. Also, they work on each CGI apps for few weeks and then move onto the other?

IS this cycle restricted to US only or are we talking about worldwide?

Just curious, info is good to know.

oh yeah, I luv their new website.

Information not entirely correct

I checked my application. It says document printed on March 22, 2006, but "Not Dispatched". However, the chicago website says card and sticker received since early April.

kabir10 said:
I checked my application. It says document printed on March 22, 2006, but "Not Dispatched". However, the chicago website says card and sticker received since early April.

They do not have dispatch information for OCI cards sent previously.But they do have the receipt dates of the consulate which is enough for our purposes.