India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gaurav2005 said:
I got an email from MEA saying that they have dispatched my OCI card finally. I had sent the new photos (wasting time and money) by FEDEX OVERNIGHT to CGI-Houston for nothing. Based on the timeline, they have not used the new photos as they probably were still languishing in the mail room of CGI-Houston though it was marked overnight and urgent.

Obviously, I have two more hurdles from CGI-Houston. I have to wait for an email from CGI-Houston and based on that I have send my US passport. Next hurdle is after receiving US passport, CGI-Houston have to send back the passports. Based on my past experience, I have to be ready for another two tough battles to win before I can get the OCI on my hand. After that I never have to deal with this consulate folks ever again during my lifetime.(hopefully). Wish me good luck..
Good lusk to win two tough battle

Photo Quality Issues @ CGI - Houston

Hi Guys,

Do you have any idea how long does Houston take to rescan photos and send it back to OCI Cell in India. My wife's photo quality is not proper and hence the OCI cell in India has requested CGI-Houston to rescan it on April 1st and till todate there seems to be no progress.

I can't seem to contact Houston via phone or emails.. :mad:

Srini

ATLVAS said:
Hi Guys,

Do you have any idea how long does Houston take to rescan photos and send it back to OCI Cell in India. My wife's photo quality is not proper and hence the OCI cell in India has requested CGI-Houston to rescan it on April 1st and till todate there seems to be no progress.
Srini

I don't know about CGI-Houston, but with CGI-SF, the 12 week clock starts again from the day they receive the new photos (based my experience with CGI-SF)

***** For those of you****

who were sent a letter for photos again, etc..... could you please tell me how long after you sent in the application, etc.... they asked you for that????

Thanks,

GAurav,
All the best !
You're at the last stage now...just a couple of "inches" to go ! ! !
I would expect that Houston will be as eager to issue your OCI card as you are to receive it :)
Maybe you ought to consider a one day trip to Houston to pick up your OCI card once it arrives......May cost you some money but will help save in all the BP medications :)

Houston CGI- Send email on 4th May still no response

ATLVAS said:
Hi Mangal,

Do you know what would be general time frame for MEA/MOIA takes to respond to emails.

I sent couple of emails about my wifes OCI card status after Houston consulate put their hands up about why it was held up after granted status. :confused: to MOIA almost a week back and till to date I haven't received any responses.

Thanks,

Srini

I also sent an email for my OCI card status to Houston consulate on 4th May, 2006. Still no response from them.

My application went to granted status on 1st April, 2006. My spouse's application was in granted status on 2nd April, and OCI card pickup email was sent on 26th April, 2006.

I really don't know what is my OCI card status, hoping I will hear from the Houston CGI soon regarding my OCI status.

I tried to call them today many times but the phone line was always busy.

Whoever has experience with Houston CGI, please tell me when is the best time to reach Houston CGI on phone?

03N400APPLICANT

This morning when I checked the online info, all my family members status changed to "Under process" from file yet to register with concern mission.
It took 4 weeks after I send new pictures.

:)

***SDQmer*******

SDQmer said:
This morning when I checked the online info, all my family members status changed to "Under process" from file yet to register with concern mission.
It took 4 weeks after I send new pictures.

:)

After you sent in the OCI application THE FIRST TIME, how long did it take them to request new photos from you, and Did they send you a letter, etc....?????

Thanks,

ASGK said:
After you sent in the OCI application THE FIRST TIME, how long did it take them to request new photos from you, and Did they send you a letter, etc....?????

Thanks,
After 6-7 weeks they requested for new Photos. They sent me an email.

SDQmer said:
Hi,

Make no errors, while you are sending OCI application to CGI-SF. The reason for this is, I got mail from CGI-SF saying that, even if your photos are not good your 12 week clock starts again from the day you have sent your new pictures.

:confused:

The status of my daughter's application changed to "Under Process" in approx. 1 week after mailing in the new set of photos and application to CGISF.

Instructions say, part B is common for all applicants. What does it mean?
Do I send two copies of part B for the whole family in the package OR two copies of part B for each applicant?

Also, embassy website (Washington, DC) doesn't say anything about notarizing the documents, only mentions self attest. Should I still get the docs notarized? Any experience with this embassy?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
harry2005 said:
Instructions say, part B is common for all applicants. What does it mean?
Do I send two copies of part B for the whole family in the package OR two copies of part B for each applicant?

Also, embassy website (Washington, DC) doesn't say anything about notarizing the documents, only mentions self attest. Should I still get the docs notarized? Any experience with this embassy?

Thanks.

You can send only 2 copies of Part B for your whole family...but make sure everyone signs it !
If Washington says they will aceept self attested then why notarise them ??

lcauser said:
The status of my daughter's application changed to "Under Process" in approx. 1 week after mailing in the new set of photos and application to CGISF.
In my case, it took 5 weeks after I send the new pictures and today status changed to granted.

Oci Approvals

Good Afternoon Folks,

I applied with my two children in March 2006 to NY consulate. My daughter got the approval letter three weeks and asked to send the passport. But I did not get any notice so far.

Can I send my passports to NY along with my daughter even though only my daughter got the approval letter. I waited for three weeks and no letter yet.

Is it possible to monitor online if the leter was sent or not ?

Thanks for your inputs in advance
-Sameer

I forgot to add that my online status says Granted on April 12 2006 for all three of us.

So I'd like to hear some advises on what I should do. I also sent email to cginy no response yet.

-Sameer

rajapkp said:
I forgot to add that my online status says Granted on April 12 2006 for all three of us.

So I'd like to hear some advises on what I should do. I also sent email to cginy no response yet.

-Sameer

Sameer,

I would advise not to send your passport, First find out what happened to you OCI, before sending passport. If you send your passport, it will be stuck for ever with the consulate...

In my case (Houston), I got email saying to send passports for me & my son. My wife didn't get an email, but any how I sent all three passports. Now its been almost 6 weeks all my passports are stuck with the consulate. When I contacted the OCI cell in India, they told me that quality of scanned photos are not good and hence my wife's OCI card is not issued. I am pulling my hair :mad: to get in touch with consulate to find out what the status is and its been a nightmare experience till now.

Srini

rajapkp said:
Good Afternoon Folks,

I applied with my two children in March 2006 to NY consulate. My daughter got the approval letter three weeks and asked to send the passport. But I did not get any notice so far.

Can I send my passports to NY along with my daughter even though only my daughter got the approval letter. I waited for three weeks and no letter yet.

Is it possible to monitor online if the leter was sent or not ?

Thanks for your inputs in advance
-Sameer

DO NOT send your passport until your letter arrives.

There is no mechanism to monitor your status beyond the MHA.(as far as CGINY goes).You can do nothing at this stage other than wait.For now just send your daughters passports

You can always try phoning,faxing and e-mailing though wont be of much avail.

Correction to OCI Card and Visa

I applied OCI for my daughter some time back and recv the OCI Card and the OCI Visa in reasonable time. Though the whole OCI process is kind of automated in terms of collecting the data, they still made a mistake. The US passport number was printed wrong on both the card and the visa. I sent both documents to chicago consulate for correction in March. So far I heard nothing from them. I have called, faxed and emailed numerous times. No reply from them. My daughter's US passport and OCI card are stuck with them for more than 2 months.
Did anyone on this forum have faced a similar situtation like me?

fitness99 said:
I hope you get your OIC soon. The customer service from most GoI employees not only sucks, but it also bites! :rolleyes:
gaurav200 said:
At this point, I am at peace with my situation with OCI and sincerely feeling pity for those billion people back in India who are stuck and have had to deal with these kind of people in Indian govt offices day in and day out. God save them from the clutches of these utterly inefficient and lazy people at govt offices. I agree some are good but the majority of these others bring the bad name to govt offices.

True words spoken dude. After living in India for 25 years when I first went to Australia, I was having the same "desi" attitude and malice towards govt officials even in Australia.. I found within a week, the situation is quite different overseas..

Please Indians, we must do something to change the way the whole Indian govt "monster" functions.... Otherwise, we can forget the dream of India becoming a 1st world country.