India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PIO1 said:
According to RBI, PIO is "a person of indian origin". This is defined as:

In practice holding a "PIO Card" provides procedural proof that you are a PIO, as does OCI. What if you, your father, your father's father is not Indian? I think they will turn a blind eye if you have a PIO/OCI card. Though this should be amended.

That sify article is complete rubish, and I don't think the authors have read the directives from the RBI and relevant acts or even the FAQs. From my point of view the rules about buying and selling property are quite clear. The grey areas cover some industries such as agriculture and civil aviation, but for most normal metropolitan investments, there is no issue.
I ma quite agree with PIO1 that siffy article is rubish
rbi FAQ and guide line are clear
thans for rbi link any hase
more infor on income tax law governing residenc (COI holder) in india
thanks in advance

genesis, My status says "File Number Yet to Register in Concern Mission". Its more than a month since i mailed it. so i should'nt it say "Under process" correct ?

-sameer

rajapkp said:
genesis, My status says "File Number Yet to Register in Concern Mission". Its more than a month since i mailed it. so i should'nt it say "Under process" correct ?

-sameer
If you did not apply in Chicago or SFO, then 4 weeks is not out of the ordinary. You may find that it will go from Under Process to Granted very quickly ... so hang in there!

rajapkp said:

-sameer
Sameer,
Yes in 4 weeks it should be "Under Process".But if i remember correctly you had sent in self attested documents.That may be a cause of this delay.Try phoning faxing and e-mailing CGINY (The data is on their website).And on the other side get the documents notarised and mail it to them ASAP.

jenimmi said:
Hi Mangal -
I'm surprised that you remembered :D
Our plans to India got tentatively postponed to June/July. And I also saw the confusion/delays going on with CGINY which was quite discouraging. I didn't want to end up like PIO1/ Bogga with the OCI fee for my family sitting somewhere for nearly 2 years. I decided to wait and see if any one in the forum actually got their OCI approved from CGINY, before I applied. I just saw your post and Genesis' of approval of OCI from NY. So, I'm going to start the process soon.

You've done an excellent job of creating a separate thread with the info needed for OCI newbies. Thanks for a job well done. What a smart idea to put the link on your signature! I hope you'll stick around till the rest of us get our OCIs too. ;)

I know the OP/starter of the thread may not still be around in this forum. But can an Admin/Moderator actually stick your info link in the very first post?

Jenimmi,
I was surprised that you were still waiting :)
I know you had mentioned that you will wait for someone to actually get their OCI -but i assumed you would have thrown your hat in the ring by now !
Hope you do apply soon.CGINY is still rickety (Looks like i have been somewhat lucky) but the process is ongoing.The later you apply the less likely you wil be able to go to India on your OCI in June/July.I have a relative whose file no was way before mine who was granted waay before me but he still hasnt received his letter ! So the process is still unpredictable.
So apply ASAP and send me the $15*your family members which you would have to spend for a single entry visitor visa :D

And i will definitely hang around a bit to help you guys after my OCI comes in (Not as frequently as this though)...It's more entertaining than reading the news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foreign travellers rejoice !

MUMBAI: Foreign travellers can rejoice. Major hotel chains are considering switching to a single currency tariff structure from dual tariffs. Taj group, the country’s largest hotel chain, is debating a single currency tariff structure. So is East India Hotels, owners of the Oberoi group. Smaller hotel chains like Kamat Hotels, that owns and manages The Orchid Hotel, and Lotus Suites in Mumbai are also exploring the idea. The domestic hotel industry has had a dual currency and dual pricing strategy for its rooms for decades.

"It is inevitable. It is a good time to look at the concept, considering that the economy and business are doing well," Arjun Oberoi, deputy MD, East India Hotels, told TOI at the sidelines of a seminar on the hotel industry, organised by global consultancy firm HVS International in Mumbai. However, Oberoi added that a final decision is yet to be taken.

Under the dual pricing policy, hotels charge their nonresident or foreign guests, a dollar tariff,which is usually pegged 10-15% higher than the rupee tariff paid by Indians. The higher tariff structure is significant given that majority (60%) of guests at five-star hotels are foreigners.

Developed countries and a few South Asian countries follow a single currency regime.

International hotel chain Hyatt had made the first move by taking bookings for its rooms in rupees, irrespective of nationality or source of booking. “The shift towards the single rate was in line with the policies followed in the developed economies," says Ratnesh Verma, area director of South Asia, Hyatt. “This will help us increase our profitability through enhanced revenues because of greater transparency and consistency in pricing across various distribution channels globally.

Leading to increased customer confidence and larger business volumes," Verma added. Hyatt International offers around 2,000 rooms in India spread across five properties.

Paris-based Accor Hotels, that has the Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure and Ibis brands in its portfolio, is all set to roll out its carpets for tourists in Hyderabad and is also working on the pricing for its rooms. Says Dennis Oldfield, head of operations, Accor Hotels India, “Pricing depends on the distribution system like global distribution system, where people prefer the rates to be quoted in dollars and convert it to the local currency."

Lalit Suri, CMD, Bharat Hotels, says, “With the rupee stabilising, it really doesn’t make much difference in value terms. When rupee strengthens, the foreigners pay more." Around 50-80 per cent of a hotel’s total room revenues is earned in foreign currency. “Around 90% of room deals are negotiated tariffs. The rest comes in the form of non-reservations. If the government comes out with a norm, then we all would be obliged to go for single currency tariff," says Param Kannampilly, technical director, Kamat Hotels.

At present, the industry can import equipment at concessional duties against forex earnings, under the EPCG scheme. “We have to figure out all issues and its implications. The whole pricing issue is currently under discussion,” said Farhat Jamal, V-P, Taj Group, Mumbai.

The changes are coming at a time when hospitality industry is seeing good times like never before.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

mangal969 said:
MUMBAI: Foreign travellers can rejoice. Major hotel chains are considering switching to a single currency tariff structure from dual tariffs....

Ok... did you know that it costs something like 100x the price to enter Taj Mahal if you are an NRI? A friend told me this. He said he was local from Mumbai. They asked him who the CM of Maharashtra was ... and charged him the NRI rate!

needurhelp said:
I applied for OCI online on Feb 2, 2006, but I waited until last week to mail the docs. I was waiting for some promise that the OCI is the real thing. Anyways, docs have been received by Houston on Friday, April 7, 2006.

What do you gurus think the process line would be? Currently the message is, "File Number Yet to Register in Concern Mission".

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Generally if you send a check by mail they wait till it has been banked and cleared before proceeding. Houston is one of the slow ones - not sure if they are electronically lodging the papers - if so you should get an "Under Process" within 2 weeks, if not, then 4-8 weeks. About 2-4 weeks to go to Granted, and 2-6 weeks to get called up. Best case 1 month, worst case 10 weeks. I waited 14 months ;)

Originally Posted by mangal969
mpotturi,fitness
Thanks ! Though we are not completely out of the woods yet (There is still the matter of actually receiving the OCI cards and ensuring they are error-free)we are definitely within striking distance.
I hope Mr Krishnan and Jennimi are also in the 'last' stage like me and genesis1 are.

Mangal
I have not yet got any reply from CGINY. It is frustrating as I was granted on Feb 14. I have mailed to usnri asking for more details. I did not look at this forum for quite some time and just started looking a couple of days ago. I am glad that you got your letter from CGINY. I was not in any hurry to go to India but still it is painful as NY does not give any clues for what went wrong. As you are one of the persons who have helped a lot of people in this thread, thanks and good luck.

might be photos..

It could be the photo scan problem. I was told by MHA that it will be taken up with CGINY. However I received the letter for pick up of cards very quick. I plan to visit the consulate on Friday, let me see if they are really ready for pick up.

Applied Jan 31st, granted on March 7th. Received letter from CGINY on April 7th.

krishnan1 said:
Originally Posted by mangal969
mpotturi,fitness
Thanks ! Though we are not completely out of the woods yet (There is still the matter of actually receiving the OCI cards and ensuring they are error-free)we are definitely within striking distance.
I hope Mr Krishnan and Jennimi are also in the 'last' stage like me and genesis1 are.

Mangal
I have not yet got any reply from CGINY. It is frustrating as I was granted on Feb 14. I have mailed to usnri asking for more details. I did not look at this forum for quite some time and just started looking a couple of days ago. I am glad that you got your letter from CGINY. I was not in any hurry to go to India but still it is painful as NY does not give any clues for what went wrong. As you are one of the persons who have helped a lot of people in this thread, thanks and good luck.

rajudm said:
It could be the photo scan problem. I was told by MHA that it will be taken up with CGINY. However I received the letter for pick up of cards very quick. I plan to visit the consulate on Friday, let me see if they are really ready for pick up.

Applied Jan 31st, granted on March 7th. Received letter from CGINY on April 7th.

Isnt this Friday Good Friday ??
Please make sure the consulate isnt closed that day.

Krishnan1,please let me know what the MEA tells you.I have some relatives that are in the same boat as you

Toronto Application - Granted

Applied by going to a scheduled visit to the CGI Toronto. Submitted OCI application March 20, 2006. Status changed immediatly to 'Under Process' - remained unchanged till today (April 12) and now shows 'Granted'.

Was told by the person at the embassy on March 20th (who takes care of oci applications) that though several OCI applicants in 2006 have been 'granted' the same, no one has actually got the stickers on their passports or received the OCI booklet. according to him (mr bagga), they have not received any stickers from delhi !! (over 1000 applications have been filed and 70% granted , but no stickers ??) > Toronto seems to be lagging big time compared to some of the other places in north america.

Has anyone on this forum who applied in Toronto in 2006 and been granted online heard anything from the embassy or received their sticker(s) ? please share your experience .

If not, we need to write to some of the email addresses that OCI applicants from NY, SF, and Chicago have been using and which may expedite the Toronto cases.

mangal969 said:
Jenimmi,
I was surprised that you were still waiting :)
I know you had mentioned that you will wait for someone to actually get their OCI -but i assumed you would have thrown your hat in the ring by now !
Hope you do apply soon.CGINY is still rickety (Looks like i have been somewhat lucky) but the process is ongoing.The later you apply the less likely you wil be able to go to India on your OCI in June/July.I have a relative whose file no was way before mine who was granted waay before me but he still hasnt received his letter ! So the process is still unpredictable.
So apply ASAP and send me the $15*your family members which you would have to spend for a single entry visitor visa :D

Yeah.. right :p

And i will definitely hang around a bit to help you guys after my OCI comes in (Not as frequently as this though)...It's more entertaining than reading the news.

Thanks, Mangal.
In a way, it's sort of addictive isn't it?
:D

I saw rajudm's and genesis timeline and I thought the later we apply, the sooner OCI is granted @ NY. CGINY seems to be following the Last In First Out policy, so I thought that way we would get lucky. But you're right... CGINY seems to be having their own set of rules.. :rolleyes:

PIO1 said:
That sify article is complete rubish, and I don't think the authors have read the directives from the RBI and relevant acts or even the FAQs. From my point of view the rules about buying and selling property are quite clear. The grey areas cover some industries such as agriculture and civil aviation, but for most normal metropolitan investments, there is no issue.

Thanks much for the clarification, PIO1.

Sify is a prominent website frequented by NRIs and it is such a shame they should post something without checking the relevant sources :(

jenimmi said:
Thanks much for the clarification, PIO1.

Sify is a prominent website frequented by NRIs and it is such a shame they should post something without checking the relevant sources :(
True Jenimmi, throughout this thread we have been battling with inaccurate press. The biggest one being OCI = Dual Citizenship. Very few articles have been 100% accurate.

needurhelp said:
Thanks PIO1. I've included the cashier's check. Will call the bank and see if it has been encashed. Probably I should start badgering and harassing CGI Houston from next week onwards, whay say you?

They had th einfo online for about 8weeks, I was thinking they might act lil fast. But by ur stmt about the process wud start only after check's cashed, I think I'll be in the Queue from the day they cash the checks rather than the original PD of online submission...urgh....

Will see....

Thnaks again
true, needurhelp. For every 5 online apps, only 1 or 2 actually make it to application, the rest are duds for various reasons ... they would not even look at your online application untill they have a paper form and cleared funds. In terms of cleared funds, I don't think they check the bank statement. They wait 2 weeks after deposit (in the expectation that if the check bounced, they would have heard from the bank).

PIO1 said:
true, needurhelp. For every 5 online apps, only 1 or 2 actually make it to application, the rest are duds for various reasons ... they would not even look at your online application untill they have a paper form and cleared funds. In terms of cleared funds, I don't think they check the bank statement. They wait 2 weeks after deposit (in the expectation that if the check bounced, they would have heard from the bank).

PIO1,
From my experience they first check your documentation to see if everything is alright and then put in the check for cashing.I dont think they wait to see if the check clears, given that it is a banker's check.Case in point is my own the check i had given was cleared by my bank 2 days after my status upgraded to "Under Process".I guess they know you cant have a bankers check cancelled unless you turn in the original and in this case the original is with them :)

Your link for new OCI applicants is great. Thanks for being so helpful.

Any idea about OCI apps through the embassy at Washington DC? How long is the procesing time from start to finish? Can we drop the completed app at the embassy or does it HAVE TO be mailed? Also, when they inform about approval can I go personally and drop the passport and / or PIO cards and pick it up in person with the U visa stamped and OCI certificate? Trying to minimize mailing as much as possible for obvious reasons.

Also, do I have to cancel my Indian passport first prior to filing OCI app or can I send it with the US passport after the embassy informs me that the OCI has been granted?

A lot of questions but would appreciate any takers for the questions.

Thanks.

No.As far as i know no US based embassy/consulate is accepting in-person applications.For now,it's all by mail.
For pickup wait for your approval letter :). These officials keep on changing their minds.
For cancellation issues call the embassy.If no one answers just send it with a covering letter requesting them to cancel it along with your OCI application.