India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indian passport - cancellation for OCI ??

Should I send the Indian passport for cancellation before I apply for OCI
or send it together with the OCI form ??

Also, what is the procedure/forms to be filled for cancelling an Indian
passport ??

CGINY will not respond ?

I recently received a letter from CGINY consulate to collect my OCI card and Visa. My timeline is as following:

Applied - February 12, 2006
OCI GRANTED - March 29, 2006
Letter Received – April 5, 2006

But here is my question, I applied for my parents two weeks earlier than myself and they were granted OCI three weeks earlier than me, but they still have not received their letter from CGINY: Their OCI application timeline is as following:

Applied January 27, 2006
OCI GRANTED March 9, 2006

I do not want to go to CGINY twice to collect the OCI visas. But they won’t respond to my e-mail or phone call to check on my parents OCI status. What do you guys suggest I should do?

Thanks,
JH

jhsharma said:
I recently received a letter from CGINY consulate to collect my OCI card and Visa. My timeline is as following:

Applied - February 12, 2006
OCI GRANTED - March 29, 2006
Letter Received – April 5, 2006

But here is my question, I applied for my parents two weeks earlier than myself and they were granted OCI three weeks earlier than me, but they still have not received their letter from CGINY: Their OCI application timeline is as following:

Applied January 27, 2006
OCI GRANTED March 9, 2006

I do not want to go to CGINY twice to collect the OCI visas. But they won’t respond to my e-mail or phone call to check on my parents OCI status. What do you guys suggest I should do?

Thanks,
JH

I too have relatives who have been granted from CGINY before me and they havent got their letters.Generally, if you havent got the letter the OCI card has not been received by CGINY.There is no real logic in what is going on.
What you can do is wait for your parents visa to come in (which is impractical considering you dont know when that will happen)or you can send it by mail (you may have already paid the return mail charges which you wont get back even if you go get it)

PIO1 said:
Good question ... I have updated Mangal's nice thread with the process [if there are any errors please let me know, and I will update ...]
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1404289#post1404289

Thanks for adding to the thread :)
Some consulates want a copy of your passport and/or naturalisation certificate (and the court order if you changed your name).Maybe to send these along for safety as well.Also better to send a self addressed and stamped priority mail/express mail envelope than a bankers cheque for the return mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969 said:
Thanks for adding to the thread :)
Some consulates want a copy of your passport and/or naturalisation certificate (and the court order if you changed your name).Maybe to send these along for safety as well.Also better to send a self addressed and stamped priority mail/express mail envelope than a bankers cheque for the return mail.
Thanks - updated the post... might add some FAQs as time goes on...

Planning to call MEA-India

I could get in touch with a telephone representative today after a long time. When she started giving standard answer about OCI, I yelled at her " I just dont give a damn about the OCI, I want my passports back". As usual she took my information and told me some one from OCI would call shortly. No marks for guessing what happened next. :(

I am planning to call both MEA as well as PM office tonight if possible regarding my passports and OCIs. For now, I just want my passports back, I dont care about OCIs. Come to think of it, last two months my US passports were lying with the embassy. I am not sure what I would have done if there were an emergency back in India. You just cant even get in touch with them I am not sure how I would have gotten back my passports other than flying over there wasting tons of money and time.

Sometimes I feel these Indian govt employees are God's favorite children. No accountability for their actions, they can do what they please.

I know it is wrong but I suspended my efforts on US-India civil nuclear deal. I just dont feel like doing it for some reason. I am experiencing first hand how a person could get easily demotivated by these govt officials. No wonder most people in India dont care about the country.

My questions: Are there any numbers to call ? Any specific time to call and any specific person to talk to on my ordeal ?

Thanks a bunch.

gaurav2005 said:
I could get in touch with a telephone representative today after a long time. When she started giving standard answer about OCI, I yelled at her " I just dont give a damn about the OCI, I want my passports back". As usual she took my information and told me some one from OCI would call shortly. No marks for guessing what happened next. :(

I am planning to call both MEA as well as PM office tonight if possible regarding my passports and OCIs. For now, I just want my passports back, I dont care about OCIs. Come to think of it, last two months my US passports were lying with the embassy. I am not sure what I would have done if there were an emergency back in India. You just cant even get in touch with them I am not sure how I would have gotten back my passports other than flying over there wasting tons of money and time.

Sometimes I feel these Indian govt employees are God's favorite children. No accountability for their actions, they can do what they please.

I know it is wrong but I suspended my efforts on US-India civil nuclear deal. I just dont feel like doing it for some reason. I am experiencing first hand how a person could get easily demotivated by these govt officials. No wonder most people in India dont care about the country.

My questions: Are there any numbers to call ? Any specific time to call and any specific person to talk to on my ordeal ?

Thanks a bunch.

Why dont you call the CG and the Indian ambassador to the US first ? A little press coverage would also help....I would suggest the Indo-American magazines and e-mails to some Political action commitees (usindianfriendship.net,usnipac.com etc).Also e-mail the PMO and the President of India through their websites.
I'm sorry about your decision to discontinue your support to the nuke deal.But i cant blame you either.On my part i just e-mailed my senators requesting support.I dont think i will be doing anything more.
On a side note can you please delete that thank you post you have made in the other thread ?? I really appreciate it (as i am sure PIO1 does) but i want to keep this thread compact (try finding any information on this thread as a newbie) and that is why tha thread was created in the first place :)

Gaurav,

I am very sympathetic to your plight. My in-laws' as well as my family's applications are also meandering their way through CGI NY's vague processes.

However, in general, Government bureacracies can be notoriously ineffecient whether it be GOI or the US Government. Just try talking to a live person at the NY State Department of Labor, it just isn't possible. I have had them lose my application and care not at all about it and it took a few years and beating on many, many doors before I could get it back on track. Just as many people have had issues with INS also.

In general CGI NY has been very very prompt at issuing replacement passports, visas and performing other such consular services. PIO cards for myself, my family and my in-laws got issued within a week (3 separate applications spaced 6 months to a year apart - so they have been consistently prompt in processing PIO applications).

Given that the OCI scheme involves co-ordination between CGI, MHA, MEA and the scheme has been around for just 3 months and it is but one of many services that CGI renders and the fact that they are obviously under-staffed for the initial volume of applications all seem to have contributed to these inefficiencies. All this is of course not an excuse for poor planning and implementation but I think 6 months down the line you will see the process working more efficiently once the initial backlog is cleared.

Just as an example, it has been a few years now since the US Dept of Homeland Security and Canada Customs initiated the Nexus card to pre-screen people and simplify border crossings between the US and Canada and there still are so many problems with the implementation - cards not working right, problems with software, inordinate delay in processing applications etc.

I fully understand your frustration and I would feel the same way if my passports were stuck somewhere. But, I think going so far as to say that this experience should somehow influence your decisions on whether or not to
support the Indo-US nuclear pact and other India related policy issues is I think being too harsh. When you get your passports back (hopefully soon :) you will probably be able to take a deep breath, put things in perspective and re-consider your views. Wishing you the best of luck in getting your passports and OCI cards back soon.

Immuser

gaurav2005 said:

Thanks a bunch.

immuser said:
Gaurav,
Given that the OCI scheme involves co-ordination between CGI, MHA, MEA and the scheme has been around for just 3 months and it is but one of many services that CGI renders and the fact that they are obviously under-staffed for the initial volume of applications all seem to have contributed to these inefficiencies. All this is of course not an excuse for poor planning and implementation but I think 6 months down the line you will see the process working more efficiently once the initial backlog is cleared.

Immuser

Just seeing how slow the GOI has been to come up with the rules to implement the OCI scheme (or scam) in the last 2+ years, I had decided to wait a good while before giving it a serious consideration to apply. when I became a US citizen a year ago, GOI was still trying to "simplify the rules" for OCI and it doesn't look like they were quite successful. Personally, I was so disillusioned after following this dual citizenship, then OCI saga for a long time and nothing getting done for the longest period of time, I applied for a 10 tourist visa. I would still wait until the process gets more streamlined and the CGI and the GOI get their act together, before applying for OCI. I know some people have personal situations and need OCI right now. I wish best of luck to all of you who are still waiting to get their OCIs.

I think the reason for delay in formulating the "simplified rules" though is that there simply wasn't the political pressure to get this thing through. The whole "OCI" issue affects only a very small percentage of people (Indians who are now ex-Indians and even though they probably infuse some foreign capital, not a whole lot to make a difference.) So, it is not a very important issue for GOI under the current circumstances. You can argue that the good-will it generates among non-resident ex-Indians will have its returns but with India Inc. booming I don't think anyone cares. It's just the way of life that the rate at which things happen in the political arena whether it be in India or the US is dependent on who wants it, how many want it, how influential politically is that segment of population etc.

I would love to call myself an OCI as soon as possible but I think having expectations of getting it in the time-frame advertised when they launched the scheme was just wishful thinking. I opted to get a PIO card while I wait it out for the OCI so that my ability to visit India are not dependent on the OCI. There are options open for those who need to vist India in a hurry (Visas, PIO cards) and it would be prudent for most people to pursue those if they had urgent needs. All I am saying is that expecting to have these things move really fast was an unreasonable expectation given the nature of things.

immuser said:
I think the reason for delay in formulating the "simplified rules" though is that there simply wasn't the political pressure to get this thing through. The whole "OCI" issue affects only a very small percentage of people (Indians who are now ex-Indians and even though they probably infuse some foreign capital, not a whole lot to make a difference.) So, it is not a very important issue for GOI under the current circumstances. You can argue that the good-will it generates among non-resident ex-Indians will have its returns but with India Inc. booming I don't think anyone cares. It's just the way of life that the rate at which things happen in the political arena whether it be in India or the US is dependent on who wants it, how many want it, how influential politically is that segment of population etc.

I would love to call myself an OCI as soon as possible but I think having expectations of getting it in the time-frame advertised when they launched the scheme was just wishful thinking. I opted to get a PIO card while I wait it out for the OCI so that my ability to visit India are not dependent on the OCI. There are options open for those who need to vist India in a hurry (Visas, PIO cards) and it would be prudent for most people to pursue those if they had urgent needs. All I am saying is that expecting to have these things move really fast was an unreasonable expectation given the nature of things.

Believe it or not the GOI does need the NRI's otherwise i can guaruntee that OCI would not have happened AT ALL.The infusion of foreign capital and reversal of Brain drain will happen only through NRI's.If nothing more GoI want to capitalise on the niche created by NRI's in the global society.
But all this is a debate for the analysts.Lets get back to our 'reality'.
If you wanted a stop gap measure I would question the wisdom of getting a PIO card.A 5 year visa would seem to be a more prudent (and cheaper) option.
Also the time frame is built into the legislation,not just an advertised show off by the government of India.The way they are doing this shows they have a scant disregard for what they legislate or when they legislate they dont know what they are getting into or they overestimate their own infrastructure.
As far as Gauravs case goes I think he is right to feel disillusioned based on his experience.No system is perfect but it is quite another thing to have an important document like a passport held up for around 2 months ! Agreed that gaurav acted in a bit of a haste,but that does not justify the treatment and caloussness shown by the CGI.At the very least they should have responded to his frequent mails/faxes/phone calls/voicemails,assured him his passport is OK and safe and/or sent it back as gaurav requested.It would not have cost them anything to do so.Also it should not be so difficult to contact an embassy official,considering every consular dept has a staff with people deputed to answer to correspondence.
All in all the government has hashed its own case by delaying it for so long (The scheme was operationalised on Dec 2,Embassies started accepting apps on Jan 7 so they did have a month to prepare).

PIO1,
Thanks for your brilliant post in the other thread !!!
I read the RBI and FEMA stuff and i came to the conclusion that as far as they go,NRI=PIO=OCI.You do not need to be a registered PIO/OCI to avail the benefits,but i guess without them the RBI would hound you to prove the status.But i think there is a some other law that denies you benefits of PIO etc unless you register.

One other thing-Arent you allowed to invest in cos dealing in agri aviation etc as an NRI but not have a majority stake in the co. ??An NRI can buy shares of AI,Jet etc but the total quantum of shares for NRI's cannot exceed 45 or 49%.

Gaurav,
Please remove your thank you post in the other thread.I'm sorry if i seem pushy but it is necessary.

CGISF, one month and no file #

I applied at CGI SF over a month ago. So far no mail or email from them. Plugging in the reference # at the mha oci site says "File yet to register in the concern mission".

How much longer after sending in the application do people usually get the file number ? Do they notify you of the file number by mail or email ?

mangal969 said:
PIO1,
Thanks for your brilliant post in the other thread !!!
I read the RBI and FEMA stuff and i came to the conclusion that as far as they go,NRI=PIO=OCI.You do not need to be a registered PIO/OCI to avail the benefits,but i guess without them the RBI would hound you to prove the status.But i think there is a some other law that denies you benefits of PIO etc unless you register.

One other thing-Arent you allowed to invest in cos dealing in agri aviation etc as an NRI but not have a majority stake in the co. ??An NRI can buy shares of AI,Jet etc but the total quantum of shares for NRI's cannot exceed 45 or 49%.

Gaurav,
Please remove your thank you post in the other thread.I'm sorry if i seem pushy but it is necessary.

Thanks Mangal - but it was your idea ... I'll keep adding stuff. Maybe we can turn it into a web page when we have some more stuff?

As far as agri/real estate goes the RBI does not allow it at all for NRs according to their FAQs. I wonder if this applies to property trust funds??? I guess so. As for Civil - you are probably correct, but I thought I would highlight that there are restrictions in case someone gets carried away ;) - I'll clarify that message.

I also wanted to do one on LTV-v-NRI-v-COI-v-PIO-v-OCI-v-Foreigner summary.

Mangal, As per your request I removed the post in other thread. For the record, let me thank you and PIO1 here. You guys are marvellous for putting together this information on OCI

-----
Yesterday night I stayed late and called MOIA, NewDelhi. I called after 9.30AM IST. For a change, some one picked up the phone (unlike CGIs) and got forwarded to Vanaja Thakkar. She is a very nice lady immediately recognized my name as she has been corresponding with me. She told me that she is also trying to contact CGI and could not get response on my case. She was just waiting for my photos as they did not scan them properly. She agreed that keeping the passports at the consulates is not right as I may be needing them any time in case of emergency. She gave me the direct numbers of the Consulate general, Houston and promised me she will follow up as well. I asked her where else (any higher up) should I report this matter. She told me that they are the implementing agency and therefore the ball is in their court.

Today morning I called the CG's direct number. It was busy. I called one of the numbers and press 0 to go to the operator. I told her I needed to talk to the consulate general directly. I told her the matter. She transferred to Mr. Pillai, may be DCG. He told me that there is a renovation going on in consulate and there are about 3000 applications and it is hard for them to answer every call. I told him that I understand that the process takes long but I need to be communicated about the proceedings. I was worried for several weeks what happened to my passports. He assured me that the passports will be kept safely at the consulate. He promised me he will personally look into my case and give me a call by the end of the day.
Still waiting ..)

I resumed my support efforts on US-India civil nuclear deal today. Last two days, I was totally disheartened and also that I did not like to do half-hearted efforts. Btw, I mentioned this to Mr Pillai. He said they are very conscious of the efforts of all Indian Americans in every Indian cause and asked me to just bear with them in this matter.

Well, thats the story so far. Atleast I am glad atleast I could talk to someone. I just want to wait until tomarrow and call them again.

gaurav2005 said:
Mangal, As per your request I removed the post in other thread. For the record, let me thank you and PIO1 here. You guys are marvellous for putting together this information on OCI

No problems Gaurav, its thanks to the work (heartache and mistakes ;)) of everyone that has helped us get this information ...

Mangal - that thread is "closed" ... any ideas?

gotia said:
What are standard restriction for oci card holder to start business.
oci has followin right
non govt work study. buy properties(with restriction) hold companies.

Gotia, I have updated the post - the restrictions on businesses you need advice in relation to Agricultural, Plantation, Real Estate companies and Civil Aviation.

PIO1 said:
No problems Gaurav, its thanks to the work (heartache and mistakes ;)) of everyone that has helped us get this information ...

Mangal - that thread is "closed" ... any ideas?

PIO1,
I noticed it too.I had requested the moderator to convert it into a sticky.I have just PMed him a request to re-open the thread.Hopefully it will re-open soon but remain a sticky.

Gotia,
Please remove your post in the other thread.Everyone is welcome to post updated information there but lets keep whatever questions within this thread.This will allow everyone to check the latest information quickly.If everyone starts posting Q's there as well it will just become a mirror of this thread and the whole purposr of that thread will be lost.

Gaurav,
Thanks for removing the post.I'm glad you are getting somewhere with your passports.So far everyone who has contacted the MEA/MOIA has reported a pleasant experience.This is a surprising yet welcome change.