India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PIO1 said:
Thanks Mangal - but it was your idea ... I'll keep adding stuff. Maybe we can turn it into a web page when we have some more stuff?

As far as agri/real estate goes the RBI does not allow it at all for NRs according to their FAQs. I wonder if this applies to property trust funds??? I guess so. As for Civil - you are probably correct, but I thought I would highlight that there are restrictions in case someone gets carried away ;) - I'll clarify that message.

I also wanted to do one on LTV-v-NRI-v-COI-v-PIO-v-OCI-v-Foreigner summary.

Website is a good idea.But for now let's just stick to this forum :)
I got a PM from the moderator.The thread is open again.

Gaurav,

That's great ! Glad you were able to get some re-assurance from the authorities.

Mangal,

I was not making any excuses for the poor implementation of the scheme by GoI. Nor was I saying that NRIs are not important. The only thing I am saying is that I personally can understand why they are not giving this as much importance (not that it is right). Yes, OCI happened because of the Govt. recognizing the value of the diaspora and their lobbying efforts but it is still not a strong enough lobby. I think the Consulates will get their acts right in about 6 months time. 3 months into a new scheme that involves the co-ordination of multiple agencies, I personally would not expect everything to work right. I recognize that other people might have rosier expectations.

I did not say that keeping your passport for that long and not contacting the applicant was right. Of course, that is very upsetting. I would have lost many sleepless nights like Gaurav and I am glad that this forum has given him a lifeline like most of us thanks to people like you and PIO1.

You and PIO1 have done a great job in giving all of us a window into a process that has been very poorly managed so far. Thanks.

I rarely post and I was just concerned about people getting disillusioned enough with this process that they would stop supporting India related policy measures. After all, the only reason we all want OCI is because we love India also. I am glad that Gaurav feels otherwise now.

You are right that we should get back on track and keep the thread focussed on informative posts. I will retire back to the sidelines and let you and PIO1 continue doing a great job :)

PIO1 said:
Gotia, I have updated the post - the restrictions on businesses you need advice in relation to Agricultural, Plantation, Real Estate companies and Civil Aviation.

thanks i have read the informatio

keep posted when more stuff is available.
can you help me in searching a article in times of india on NRI

mangal969 said:
PIO1,
I noticed it too.I had requested the moderator to convert it into a sticky.I have just PMed him a request to re-open the thread.Hopefully it will re-open soon but remain a sticky.

Gotia,
Please remove your post in the other thread.Everyone is welcome to post updated information there but lets keep whatever questions within this thread.This will allow everyone to check the latest information quickly.If everyone starts posting Q's there as well it will just become a mirror of this thread and the whole purposr of that thread will be lost.

Gaurav,
Thanks for removing the post.I'm glad you are getting somewhere with your passports.So far everyone who has contacted the MEA/MOIA has reported a pleasant experience.This is a surprising yet welcome change.
mangal
i have remove the post as per your instruction

mangal969 said:
If you wanted a stop gap measure I would question the wisdom of getting a PIO card.A 5 year visa would seem to be a more prudent (and cheaper) option.

It costs the same ($150) to get a Indian Tourist visa for more than 1 year duration, i.e. whether 5 years or 10 yrs. That's one of the reasons why I decided to go for 10 yrs tourist visa.

Indian Visa Fee Structure:
Tourist Visa valid up to 6 months (Multiple Entry) $60
Tourist Visa valid for over 6 months and up to 1 year (Multiple Entry) $85
Tourist Visa – valid for over 1 year and up to 5 years $ 150
Tourist Visa – (for US Nationals only) valid for over 5 years and up to 10 years $ 150

sg_orl,
My statement was in response to immiuser getting a PIO card as a stop gap.
If you are sure in your mind that you are going to get an OCI card why get a 10 year visa ??
Take a 6 month or a 1 year visa and simultaneously submit your OCI application and you are good to go !

PIO1,
Please refer to the link i had posted previously (indialiason).For considering resident status they have also factored in intent.Hence a PIO starting a business is considered a resident even if he hasnt completed the quota of days in India while a PIO who is in India for medical treatment and intends to go back is considered a NRI even if his stay extends the quota.

Immuser,
The reason why this thread has been so successful is that everyone has been consistently communicating their experiences and sharing information.What PIO1 and I have done (and continue to do) is just compile this inormation.But the basis of our knowledge is just collective integration of everyone's experiences.:)
Most people who say that they will cease support to India related policy is just saying so out of frustration.They almost always come around.
Politically the Indian american community is a strong political force but too scattered and self centered for any meaningful effect.
For ex in theis nuke deal I have seen so many online petitions and format letters to be sent to the govt.They are all whiny and seem to state that we are a better alternative. There is not a single letter that says hey India is a good country and Indians are good people you need to support this deal and in the long term a strategic partnership.
Look at the Jewish American community-so small yet so powerful.We need that type of cohesiveness but i dont see anyone bringing that rally yet :(

Well this was a complete sidetrack :)
All that i am saying is people share your views and experiences.That is the only way we can grow.

mangal969 said:
sg_orl,
My statement was in response to immiuser getting a PIO card as a stop gap.
If you are sure in your mind that you are going to get an OCI card why get a 10 year visa ??
Take a 6 month or a 1 year visa and simultaneously submit your OCI application and you are good to go !

Mangal,

PIO -> OCI = 310$ +25$ = 335$
1 yr visa -> OCI = 85$ + 275$ = 360$
6 months visa -> OCI = 60$ + 275$ = 335$

Gettinga PIO card or a visa from CGI NY takes about the same time
to process. I got my PIO cards within 10 days. And with minors
it makes a lot of sense ($155 +$25 = $180).

So, why is getting a PIO card not a good idea - or am I missing
something? It also lets me stand in the PIO/OCI line when I visit
India :) Not to mention the fact that it gives me a 15 year entry
card in case CGI NY never sends in my re-scanned photos to
New Delhi. ;)

Immuser

Last edited by a moderator:
Mangal / PIO1 / Anyone else -
I'm planning to apply PIO card for a minor child (took your tip - it's a cheaper option before upgrading to OCI). I have a few Q's - probably answered before but can't find it, I apologize. I tried calling and leaving at least 3 messages with CGINY and of course no one called back and a day and half has passed since.

Should I submit COPIES of both parents Indian Passport, when applying for PIO card for a child? And only those pages which contain biographic, address etc?
It is not clear from the instructions whether original Indian PP of Parents need to be submitted or just copies? And if copy is good enough, then only one copy of each parent's PP?

I'm getting confused with the instructions for OCI with this. I believe when applying for PIO, these PP copies need not be notarized?

I'll be taking the parents' PP (ours) for cancellation only when submitting the child's PIO application. This should be okay I guess, from one of the earlier posts I saw.

Does anyone know if CGINY gives back the cancelled PPs right away? I hate the idea of taking off from work during office hours twice :(

TIA.

Marvellous job!

Excellent work by PIO1 on the sticky thread. This is definitely going to be the primary reference guide for those PIOs (not just PIO card holders) who have been fortunate enough to know this forum.

I can see that both Mangal and PIO1 are very modest in acknowledging praise. It only speaks highly of them as opposed to some crackpots we see on these forums who fish for recognition and who post praise for themselves in different IDs. ;)

I know for sure that you two have done much more research in posting all this useful info than just "compiling" it, as you've mentioned. I think it deserves mention and since I'm forbidden :p from doing this on the sticky thread, here you go!
GOOD JOB GUYS!!

immuser said:
Mangal,

PIO -> OCI = 310$ +25$ = 335$
1 yr visa -> OCI = 85$ + 275$ = 360$
6 months visa -> OCI = 60$ + 275$ = 335$

Gettinga PIO card or a visa from CGI NY takes about the same time
to process. I got my PIO cards within 10 days. And with minors
it makes a lot of sense ($155 +$25 = $180).

So, why is getting a PIO card not a good idea - or am I missing
something? It also lets me stand in the PIO/OCI line when I visit
India :) Not to mention the fact that it gives me a 15 year entry
card in case CGI NY never sends in my re-scanned photos to
New Delhi. ;)

Immuser

I guess your plan does make sense.I was only against it because someone told me that CGINY told them they cannot convert a PIO to OCI for a couple of years.For minors PIO=OCI since they dont have to register and all but for adults that can be a sticking point.Basically I am not sure how the embassies would react to a conversion for a PIO card issued after the scheme was launched.So i would personally prefer to err on the side of caution.

I'm all for advanced planning-plan a little bit in advance and apply for the OCI directly.If some emergency does pop up while the application is under process a short term visa (1 or 2 month) can be picked up.

But in terms of economics you have made a wise choice :)

jenimmi said:
Mangal / PIO1 / Anyone else -
I'm planning to apply PIO card for a minor child (took your tip - it's a cheaper option before upgrading to OCI). I have a few Q's - probably answered before but can't find it, I apologize. I tried calling and leaving at least 3 messages with CGINY and of course no one called back and a day and half has passed since.

Should I submit COPIES of both parents Indian Passport, when applying for PIO card for a child? And only those pages which contain biographic, address etc?
It is not clear from the instructions whether original Indian PP of Parents need to be submitted or just copies? And if copy is good enough, then only one copy of each parent's PP?

I'm getting confused with the instructions for OCI with this. I believe when applying for PIO, these PP copies need not be notarized?

I'll be taking the parents' PP (ours) for cancellation only when submitting the child's PIO application. This should be okay I guess, from one of the earlier posts I saw.

Does anyone know if CGINY gives back the cancelled PPs right away? I hate the idea of taking off from work during office hours twice :(

TIA.

1.Submit copies of the passport-No need to send in the originals.Yes.One copy should be enough.Notarised copies are not necessary.Just to be safe carry all the original documents with you.The consular official can examine and notarise himself if required.

2.What you can do is request them to mail your cancelled PP's back with your child's PIO card.They both should be done at the same time.But you definitely dont have to go there twice.

A small tip for you:Take your child's long form birth certificate as well even though it is not mentioned in the list :)

passports and OCI for family received

CGI-Houston kept their word and I received all our passports (both US+Indian) and OCI cards for my family members.

They have sent my passport but no OCI card yet. MEA is still waiting for the consulate to upload photos.

Btw, they have not cancelled our Indian passports. They sent them back just like that. When I originally sent them along with OCI application, I requested in the letter to cancel the Indian passports.

Do I need to send to a different department for cancellation ? Also how do I go about pushing my OCI process. I already sent an email to MEA asking them to contact Houston regarding my OCI.

gaurav2005 said:
CGI-Houston kept their word and I received all our passports (both US+Indian) and OCI cards for my family members.

They have sent my passport but no OCI card yet. MEA is still waiting for the consulate to upload photos.

Btw, they have not cancelled our Indian passports. They sent them back just like that. When I originally sent them along with OCI application, I requested in the letter to cancel the Indian passports.

Do I need to send to a different department for cancellation ? Also how do I go about pushing my OCI process. I already sent an email to MEA asking them to contact Houston regarding my OCI.

Congratulations ! ! ! I think you're going to sleep well tonight :)

Send in your Indian passports for cancellation when you send your passport for OCI stamping.Maybe they sent them back in a fit of nervousness-Send Mr Gaurav all his passports :)

As far as pushing your OCI goes you have to call Houston.At the most you can just send another set of photographs but better to check with them first.
Fax a letter with the MEA reply attached (saying the photo needs re-scanning) and ask them what can be done from your side to expidite the process.

After much thought and deliberation PIO1 and I have decided we deserve a reward for all our actions.Thank yous and great jobs and all are good but we want something more 'substantial'.

Therefore we have decided to charge everyone for accessing the information we post.Since we all are friends right now we are offering a special introductory price of USD5 a view.Once our friends are done with their applications (we estimate 1 month) we will hike it to USD10 per view.
And we will offer a moneyback guaruntee.If for some reason the consulate is dissatisfied with your application (other than a criminal record) and rejects your application we will refund you the entire amount you paid us ! However we are not responsible for poor photographic resemblance and elongated photos.We are also not reposnible for improperly or non-notarised documents.

As of right now there are 827 views of the thread.So people start paying up ! I want to see USD 2067.50 in my bank account soon (as does PIO1)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Man I am in a freaky mood right now !
Enjoy !

mangal969 said:
After much thought and deliberation PIO1 and I have decided we deserve a reward for all our actions.Thank yous and great jobs and all are good but we want something more 'substantial'.

Therefore we have decided to charge everyone for accessing the information we post.Since we all are friends right now we are offering a special introductory price of USD5 a view.Once our friends are done with their applications (we estimate 1 month) we will hike it to USD10 per view.
And we will offer a moneyback guaruntee.If for some reason the consulate is dissatisfied with your application (other than a criminal record) and rejects your application we will refund you the entire amount you paid us ! However we are not responsible for poor photographic resemblance and elongated photos.We are also not reposnible for improperly or non-notarised documents.

As of right now there are 827 views of the thread.So people start paying up ! I want to see USD 2067.50 in my bank account soon (as does PIO1)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Man I am in a freaky mood right now !
Enjoy !
Mangal, you of all people should know this is an alcohol free forum. ;)