India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
genesis1,
Can you share with us when you applied ? I applied on Mar 4th. So it is already 4 weeks.

And how long after the "Under process" state till you actually get the approval.

The reason I am asking is I want to travel in June end. So is it reasonable to expect to have my approval before that ? I am hesitant to apply for visitor visa.

-Sameer

rajapkp said:
genesis1,
Can you share with us when you applied ? I applied on Mar 4th. So it is already 4 weeks.

And how long after the "Under process" state till you actually get the approval.

The reason I am asking is I want to travel in June end. So is it reasonable to expect to have my approval before that ? I am hesitant to apply for visitor visa.

-Sameer

Sameer,
You will MOST PROBABLY get your OCI by June.However in case it doesnt or even if you are Granted but havent received the U visa you will have to take a visitor visa.

mangal969 said:
I have created a new thread and given all the application information in the best detail i can:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=209468

All new applicants are requested to go through that thread first before asking questions here.
And please do not post any thank you notes or questions in that thread :)

Mr. Mangal, appreciate you taking the time and posting relevant information in a separate info thread. You saved a lot of time for lot of people.

mangal969 said:
I have created a new thread and given all the application information in the best detail i can:

All new applicants are requested to go through that thread first before asking questions here.

Mangal - Well documented summary! I think GoI should pay you for deciphering the OIC process for applicants :D

Thanks Fitness & Harry.Hope my efforts will save a lot of time for all those applying :)

The MOIA has come out with an e-zine for overseas Indians:
http://www.overseasindian.in/
Would they be the first government depatment to have it's own e-zine ?If not in the world than atleast in India ??

mangal969 said:

Great Job. Thanks for taking the time.

Just one comment...For the US PP, the page 24 (exceptions) should also be sent as a proof that there are no exceptions.

Frustrated at CGINY

I am a PIO card holder and have applied for OCI. I mailed my application on the 19th January (with notorized copies of US & Old Indian passport, PIO card and certified cheques). Application was received by the CGI NY on 23rd January (USPS tracking). Never received any acknowledgement. Online status inquiry shows the status as "GRANTED on 4th March". But I have still not heard anything from the consulate. I have tried to call them several times (literally 100's) but no one picks the phone. Can anyone tell me when can I expect to get this done with? I am really frustrated and confused.

After reading the posts here, I decided to send an email to CGI & MEA. I am using yahoo mail. My message bounced back with error message that domain mea.nic.in cann't be found. Mangal, can you please verify the email address you had given - usnri@mea.nic.in? I don't know what I am doing wrong since this morning!! Thanks.

FrustratedCGINY said:
I am a PIO card holder and have applied for OCI. I mailed my application on the 19th January (with notorized copies of US & Old Indian passport, PIO card and certified cheques). Application was received by the CGI NY on 23rd January (USPS tracking). Never received any acknowledgement. Online status inquiry shows the status as "GRANTED on 4th March". But I have still not heard anything from the consulate. I have tried to call them several times (literally 100's) but no one picks the phone. Can anyone tell me when can I expect to get this done with? I am really frustrated and confused.

After reading the posts here, I decided to send an email to CGI & MEA. I am using yahoo mail. My message bounced back with error message that domain mea.nic.in cann't be found. Mangal, can you please verify the email address you had given - usnri@mea.nic.in? I don't know what I am doing wrong since this morning!! Thanks.

usnri@mea.nic.in is the correct address.I have e-mailed them a couple of times and they have replied to my e-mails as well.I use Yahoo mail as well so that isnt an issue.
Maybe you can try faxing CGINY.They may respond.But better to verify with India first.Otherwise you will get the standard application is pending in India response.
Also CGINY sends notifications by first class mail (No email,no phone call).So monitor your mailbox.

Thanks Mangal

Mangal, thanks for the quick reply. I just tried again to email and here is the exact error message from MAILER-DAEMON in Yahoo (I'll cut and paste):

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
<usnri@mea.nic.in>:
Sorry, I couldn't find any host named mea.nic.in. (#5.1.2)

I have been watching mail box everyday. Due to very ill health of my parents, I need to return for indefinite time and hence I need OCI. I have quit my job, shipped my stuff to India and waiting here only for OCI. Before I applied in January, I called and asked them. Funny, in those days they did answer the phone. I was told 15 calendar days!!!! And here I am still waiting.......

Thanks for your help anyways though.

FrustratedCGINY said:
Mangal, thanks for the quick reply. I just tried again to email and here is the exact error message from MAILER-DAEMON in Yahoo (I'll cut and paste):

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
<usnri@mea.nic.in>:
Sorry, I couldn't find any host named mea.nic.in. (#5.1.2)

I have been watching mail box everyday. Due to very ill health of my parents, I need to return for indefinite time and hence I need OCI. I have quit my job, shipped my stuff to India and waiting here only for OCI. Before I applied in January, I called and asked them. Funny, in those days they did answer the phone. I was told 15 calendar days!!!! And here I am still waiting.......

Thanks for your help anyways though.

Speak to the consul general, and tell him your story. I think they must think they are waiting for you to send them something. 15 January is a long time, though my dad applied in 2004 and has only just been "granted"!!!!

Normally the C.G. helps in these sorts of situations.

Hope it all works out for you - let us know how you go.

PIO1, my application status is already at Granted as of 4th March. It is CGI NY which is not moving. I have not only tried the OCI phone number but every other phone number listed on the site. They do not give a damn. That is the worst part of it. They never pick up the phone. It is completely different from other CGIs. Exactly opposite of CGI Chicago.

rajapkp said:
genesis1,

-Sameer
I applied on 17th February and was granted on March end. It took 2/3 weeks of "under proces" to reach "granted" . Check the website- are you in "under process" stage? The peculiar part is that within the next day of the granted itself, the letter about the cards was mailed by the Consul- so I wonder how the card reached US from India in 1 or 2 days.

FrustratedCGINY said:
PIO1, my application status is already at Granted as of 4th March. It is CGI NY which is not moving. I have not only tried the OCI phone number but every other phone number listed on the site. They do not give a damn. That is the worst part of it. They never pick up the phone. It is completely different from other CGIs. Exactly opposite of CGI Chicago.
Even though you have "Granted" people still have been asked for more information, re-scaned photos etc. From "Granted" it does take 2-8 weeks to get the card also. And yes, CGNY is the worst. Not helping you I know, try Mangal's number, and also try phoning the Consul General direct. If he is not answering the phone - this is a problem - his job is to help you and me. Escalate this issue with the Embassy in DC.

mangal969 said:
mpotturi,fitness
Thanks ! Though we are not completely out of the woods yet (There is still the matter of actually receiving the OCI cards and ensuring they are error-free)we are definitely within striking distance.
I hope Mr Krishnan and Jennimi are also in the 'last' stage like me and genesis1 are.

Hi Mangal -
I'm surprised that you remembered :D
Our plans to India got tentatively postponed to June/July. And I also saw the confusion/delays going on with CGINY which was quite discouraging. I didn't want to end up like PIO1/ Bogga with the OCI fee for my family sitting somewhere for nearly 2 years. I decided to wait and see if any one in the forum actually got their OCI approved from CGINY, before I applied. I just saw your post and Genesis' of approval of OCI from NY. So, I'm going to start the process soon.

You've done an excellent job of creating a separate thread with the info needed for OCI newbies. Thanks for a job well done. What a smart idea to put the link on your signature! I hope you'll stick around till the rest of us get our OCIs too. ;)

I know the OP/starter of the thread may not still be around in this forum. But can an Admin/Moderator actually stick your info link in the very first post?

basis said:
Apart from visa free entry and not having to register yourself if you stay in India beyond six months, there is very little that has come through on the Dual Citizenship front. The website is cryptic, in that, it says that Dual Citizens would be accorded financial and economic benefits on par with an NRI. However, the same still remains a declaration of sorts and has not come through in the law. Unless the law itself (the Income Tax Act and FEMA) is amended by means of relevant circulars and notifications, we cannot say that Dual Citizens are on par with NRIs. For example, a PIO(an NRI with foreign citizenship) cannot sell real estate to a Resident, he has to sell the same either to an NRI or to a PIO only. However, an NRI is free to sell his house property to a Resident. There are several such aspects which need to be addressed and it remains to be seen if the same is done during the forthcoming Budget on February 28th. Incidentally, we receive a number of queries asking whether now that Dual Citizenship has come about, foreigners can buy agricultural land. It may be clarified here that even NRIs are not allowed to buy agricultural land. Therefore, there is no question of a Dual Citizen be allowed just on account of his Indian citizenship.

http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14164251

This is really a concerning situation for those who want to R2I. I was waiting for budget and post budget discussions but nothing has come out from the Govt so far. As usual they will wake up only when people raise their voice or some case law comes up.

I too am concerned about the conditions for buying /selling of real estate by an OCI. There seems to be a large grey area regarding this and things are not crystal clear. One of the reasons for my India trip during summer would be real estate as well.

I was under the impression from a RBI link that PIO1 posted before, (may be I'm over simplifying it) that for an OCI - buying/selling real estate is not a problem as long as it is not an agricultural land. But the link from 'sify' confuses things again.
It's mentioned there, PIO cannot sell real estate unless it is sold to another PIO/NRI. It doesn't say anything about OCI.
On the other hand, the definition of PIO that they've mentioned in paranthesis namely [an NRI with foreign citizenship] applies to OCI as well. Are we to assume that PIO in this reference includes OCI as well b'cos of the definition in paranthesis? Any ideas anyone?

jenimmi said:
I too am concerned about the conditions for buying /selling of real estate by an OCI. There seems to be a large grey area regarding this and things are not crystal clear. One of the reasons for my India trip during summer would be real estate as well.

I was under the impression from a RBI link that PIO1 posted before, (may be I'm over simplifying it) that for an OCI - buying/selling real estate is not a problem as long as it is not an agricultural land. But the link from 'sify' confuses things again.
It's mentioned there, PIO cannot sell real estate unless it is sold to another PIO/NRI. It doesn't say anything about OCI.
On the other hand, the definition of PIO that they've mentioned in paranthesis namely [an NRI with foreign citizenship] applies to OCI as well. Are we to assume that PIO in this reference includes OCI as well b'cos of the definition in paranthesis? Any ideas anyone?
According to RBI, PIO is "a person of indian origin". This is defined as:

For the purpose of above general permission, a foreign citizen is deemed to be of

Indian origin if (a) he held an Indian passport at any time, or (b) he or his father or paternal grandfather was a citizen of India by virtue of the Constitution of India or the Citizenship Act, 1955 (57 of 1955) provided that the citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Nepal shall be deemed to be not of Indian origin.

In practice holding a "PIO Card" provides procedural proof that you are a PIO, as does OCI. What if you, your father, your father's father is not Indian? I think they will turn a blind eye if you have a PIO/OCI card. Though this should be amended.

That sify article is complete rubish, and I don't think the authors have read the directives from the RBI and relevant acts or even the FAQs. From my point of view the rules about buying and selling property are quite clear. The grey areas cover some industries such as agriculture and civil aviation, but for most normal metropolitan investments, there is no issue.

Last edited by a moderator: