India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sv2707 said:
Do you notarize the photocopy or is the notary signing only on the 'Copy Certification by Document Custodian' Form??

Could someone clarify.

Thanks!
Dont get into all that.Just get the notary to sign and stamp the copy.At the most you write "I certify this to be a true copy of the original" and sign it (If Notary doesnt agree to the above).The copy certification form is best avoided,god knows how your consulate will react to this.

rajudm said:
I got a reply from MHA for the e-mail I had sent about CGINY not issuing the OCI cards for granted applications. They are saying that they would be asking the consulate to re-scan the photos. Why is the scanner broken in the Heart of Big Apple?

Do CGINY require our help to get a good scanner? pathetic situation.
You know i always wondered what happened to the scanner i threw in the trash 5 years ago and looks like i found it :)

Is this re-scanning required only for your specific case is it for everyone who applied at CGINY ?

mangal969 said:
Dont get into all that.Just get the notary to sign and stamp the copy.At the most you write "I certify this to be a true copy of the original" and sign it (If Notary doesnt agree to the above).The copy certification form is best avoided,god knows how your consulate will react to this.

Thanks. That's what I did finally. The rules in each state are different. Here in NJ the form may be used, but I suspect that those on India Govt. Service would not understand that. So I did the simple thing.

Notary and stamps

I had often wondered when a documen says can't Copy e.g. birth certficate and CTZSHP certficate etc how some notaries are putting seals on these documents. So when I walked into AAA office in PA, the Notary said there are some changes for notarization of Govt docs 1) we will not squeeze you (meaning no embossed stamp.. I always like that part..) 2) He will just sign a paper saying This is a truly certified copy of ...., and I had to fill whether it was passport or other doc.

Well.. finally the application is filed. I felt if it was not taxes in March/April (which I finished early) it was another pain like that. Now the wait starts.

Hope they can issue cards from CGINY by JULY and if they do emba
ssy will have met my expectations. Enjoy reading managl969 analysis. Two years ago I used to know a senior guy in embassy and if I don't see any movement for folks who have filed earlier than me. I will shake him up.. So, lets stay connected...

desi111-
PLEASE shake up that senior guy you know .....They need a good shaking up :)
Other embassies like Chicago,SF have got their act together but NY is lacking behind :(.Atleast you can get an explanation from them as to this inordinate delay.

Anyways I am now in the Granted Status Yay ! Feels nice that something happened.
Hopefully i will get my OCI within the the next two weeks or so (I was shooting for my 500th post but unfortunately im only 2 posts short)

NY has now finished processing all the files (#1378).No new files have been added.So now hopefully they'll speed up issuing the cards.MHA/OCI cell has been very efficient so the bottleneck has to be CGINY.

you send them a mail

Mangal,
You send a mail to MHA. We will see if it is the problem with one specific case or a chronic problem for all applications. It should be because CGINY hasn't issued cards for many...

mangal969 said:
You know i always wondered what happened to the scanner i threw in the trash 5 years ago and looks like i found it :)

Is this re-scanning required only for your specific case is it for everyone who applied at CGINY ?

Photos

desi111 said:
I had often wondered when a documen says can't Copy e.g. birth certficate and CTZSHP certficate etc how some notaries are putting seals on these documents. So when I walked into AAA office in PA, the Notary said there are some changes for notarization of Govt docs 1) we will not squeeze you (meaning no embossed stamp.. I always like that part..) 2) He will just sign a paper saying This is a truly certified copy of ...., and I had to fill whether it was passport or other doc.

Well.. finally the application is filed. I felt if it was not taxes in March/April (which I finished early) it was another pain like that. Now the wait starts.

Hope they can issue cards from CGINY by JULY and if they do emba
ssy will have met my expectations. Enjoy reading managl969 analysis. Two years ago I used to know a senior guy in embassy and if I don't see any movement for folks who have filed earlier than me. I will shake him up.. So, lets stay connected...

How many pictures 2 or 4?

3. I have not had the IND passport cancelled yet. Does the IND pp need to be cancelled b4 applying for the IOC, or it'll be cancelled by the consulate when you send it in with the US pp for the stamping after approval.

PIO1 said:
Should be cancelled with OCI application, i.e. ASAP.

Follow up question to advice above, so would it be a problem if the notarized copy of the Indian pp is from before it is cancelled. Since I would include the IND pp with the OCI applicaiton and request to cancel it, I would have already made the notarized copies of the pp. Any one in a similar situation, wherein they had not yet cancelled the IND pp before submitting appln for OCI.

The other option is for me to separately mail the IND pp to the consulate to cancel. Once they return the pp I make copies, notarize and then send the OCI application. This just adds another 2-3 weeks to the application process. Thanks for your help.

sfbayguy said:
3. I have not had the IND passport cancelled yet. Does the IND pp need to be cancelled b4 applying for the IOC, or it'll be cancelled by the consulate when you send it in with the US pp for the stamping after approval.

Follow up question to advice above, so would it be a problem if the notarized copy of the Indian pp is from before it is cancelled. Since I would include the IND pp with the OCI applicaiton and request to cancel it, I would have already made the notarized copies of the pp. Any one in a similar situation, wherein they had not yet cancelled the IND pp before submitting appln for OCI.

The other option is for me to separately mail the IND pp to the consulate to cancel. Once they return the pp I make copies, notarize and then send the OCI application. This just adds another 2-3 weeks to the application process. Thanks for your help.

That's what I did; I live in NJ so I personally went there. For all the CGINY applicants, cancelling a PP in person means the same as getting a new Passport or visa. You give your letter & Indian PP in the morning & get it after 4:30 PM. So, think before you go there. The place reeks of inefficiency.

BTW: There was this guy who also came for PP cancellation, but did not take a token. He was just standing there & shouting things like 'corrupton', 'sleeping on the job', etc. They took his PP for cancellation immidiately.

Last edited by a moderator:
sv2707 said:
That's what I did; I live in NJ so I personally went there. For all the CGINY applicants, cancelling a PP in person means the same as getting a new Passport or visa. You give your letter & Indian PP in the morning & get it after 4:30 PM. So, think before you go there. The place reeks of inefficiency.

BTW: There was this guy who also came for PP cancellation, but did not take a token. He was just standing there & shouting things like 'corrupton', 'sleeping on the job', etc. They took his PP for cancellation immidiately.
I had a pp from the 1970s and never had it cancelled. Didn't cause any problems, even after I sent them a copy for the OCI application - they issued me the OCI without a problem.

That means they are not paying attention and not following their own rules...more than the fact that it is OK. In my Indian PP there is a stamp that says to the effect that if the holder takes up citizenship of another country then s/he should immidiately surrender the Indian PP at the nearest mission. As you are aware an Indian PP is the property of Govt. of India.

sv2707 said:
That means they are not paying attention and not following their own rules...more than the fact that it is OK. In my Indian PP there is a stamp that says to the effect that if the holder takes up citizenship of another country then s/he should immidiately surrender the Indian PP at the nearest mission. As you are aware an Indian PP is the property of Govt. of India.
The constitution of India does not require that those who involuntarily acquire citizenship give up their citizenship, and this view was indicatively supported by the Supreme court of India. This was discussed in depth in previous posts.

sv2707 said:

That stamp is a recent phenomenon.Most people after obtaining a foreign citizensip just let their Indian passports lapse and be done with it.The embassies too dont seem to send this information of changed citizenship to India and if they are the government is just collecting this information.There is no official notification of cessation of citizenship just a handwritten "Holder has obtained US (or other) citizenship.",cutting the passport corners and a bold "cancelled" stamp.

Now for the problem of the sfbayguy- If you live close to the embassy by all means go there get it cancelled and then apply.But if you live far or dont have time to go in the foreseeable future call the embassy and confirm if you can send non-notarised copies of the Indian PP with the original Indian PP.
I dont see any trouble though if you get you Indian PP copies notarised in their current state.But at the same time enclose the original Indian PP for cancellation.Remember by Indian law there is no fixed time frame for you to surrender your Indian passport.The constitution decrees the cancellation as automatic.If OCI were not an issue i guess you can still keep the Indian PP as it is and let it lapse.Of course using it would be illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
PIO1 said:
The constitution of India does not require that those who involuntarily acquire citizenship give up their citizenship, and this view was indicatively supported by the Supreme court of India. This was discussed in depth in previous posts.

Involuntary acquisition of citizenship is a grey area to say the least.There are very rare situations where acquisition of citizenship is involuntary.You have to be voluntary at some step whether it's filling the form or signing the passport.Eligibility and acquisition of citizenship are different issues.If you are eligible for a citizenship but choose not to acknowledge it you do not have any rights or duties tied to that citizenship until you acknowledge it.

sfbayguy said:

You do not need to cancel the Indian passport before applying for OCI. Just send the notorized copy of the passport. Send the Indian passports for cancellation when you send your passports for stamping. I had not cancelled my Indian passports before applying for OCI and had no problems in getting the OCI. I got my OCI in ealy March from CGI Houston.

sv2707 said:
Old Indian passports do not have this warning. Mangal is correct, cancellation is a recent phenomenon.