India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
Glad to know the U visa 'works' :)
BTW Which line did she have to stand in at immigration ? Are Indian nationals/PIO's & OCI's in one queue or is there a seperate queue between the 3 groups ?
I'll ask ... she thinks I am nuts about this OCI thing ;)

boggavarapu said:
Unfortunately not. I have written to everyone re. the refund. Not a single reply I got. The bottomline seems to be that I have paid the full fee in the beginning as per the regulations at that time for OCI. Now it is a reduced fee and as such no refunds permissible!!! I guess I learnt my lesson once again!! It would have been better if I had waited until the OCI scheme got more stabilized!!
It is worth trying again for the refund - they have lots of cash at the consulates ... just ask politely face to face, and you never know!

mangal969 said:
PIO1,
Did you notice the words Dual citizenship or Dual National do not come up even once in the OCI certificate ??
True mangal. The detailed people who actually implemented the card at the MHA probably know. I think this is why it took 2 years to implement. Anyone who gets the card will realise it is not DC, so eventually hopefully the message will get across.

One thing I noted ... the print on the visa sticker is not very durable, and seems to rub off. It is not laminated like the OCI card. So it might be a good idea to get a new stamp when the pp expires.

Also what if the photo is that of a baby? After 10-20-30 years, this will have no security value, so there must be a process of getting a new OCI/visa with a new photo.

CGI SF has updated list with our names on it ...

Do I need to send them the passports or can I go there in person for the stamping? I prefer the latter, but is this an option?

malgudi said:
Do I need to send them the passports or can I go there in person for the stamping? I prefer the latter, but is this an option?
I am not in the SF area, but if you can, go there in person, and check the card esp if you did a paper application. Might be worth giving them a call to confirm their timings for stamping.

PIO1 said:
It is worth trying again for the refund - they have lots of cash at the consulates ... just ask politely face to face, and you never know!

I will certainly try asking!!
Iwouldnot count on it at all!!

Thanks

malgudi said:

I mailed the passports to CGISF the past thursday to affix the OCI U-visa. I will update this forum once I receive the passports back from CGISF.

lcauser said:
I mailed the passports to CGISF the past thursday to affix the OCI U-visa. I will update this forum once I receive the passports back from CGISF.

I just fedexed it today. Let's see how long it takes for them to send them back to me. Will update once I receive them.

Question on Foreign Office Registrtation for Children under age 10

All,
I have a question.
DO US Citizen and US Passport holder children (under age 10) with 10 year multiple visa to India need to register with the Foreigners registration Office if their stay in India is going to last more than six months? Your replies are appreciated. Parents are also US Citizens with PIO Cards. (if it matters)
Thank you very much in advance for your help.

simidude said:
All,
I have a question.
DO US Citizen and US Passport holder children (under age 10) with 10 year multiple visa to India need to register with the Foreigners registration Office if their stay in India is going to last more than six months? Your replies are appreciated. Parents are also US Citizens with PIO Cards. (if it matters)
Thank you very much in advance for your help.

The children need not register (Children below 16 dont have to register in any situation).Parents on the other hand will have to register toward the end of the 180 days.

Update for NY consulate:
Granted-970 (They have picked up good speed)
Under process-1374 (I dont think there is any need to check this now :) )
Cards-???

PIO1 said:
True mangal. The detailed people who actually implemented the card at the MHA probably know. I think this is why it took 2 years to implement. Anyone who gets the card will realise it is not DC, so eventually hopefully the message will get across.

One thing I noted ... the print on the visa sticker is not very durable, and seems to rub off. It is not laminated like the OCI card. So it might be a good idea to get a new stamp when the pp expires.

Also what if the photo is that of a baby? After 10-20-30 years, this will have no security value, so there must be a process of getting a new OCI/visa with a new photo.

A friend of mine had told me of a similar problem he faced (Not a U visa)...He kept it under a bright light for 6 hours so as to dry the ink completely and it was ok.
I think with every application to transfer your OCI you'd have to submit new photos and surrender your old OCI card.

Thumb Impression

What is the best way to get a child's thumb impression? Tried using a notary's ink but CGI-SF said it was too faint for scanning. Can anyone suggest a 'better' ink for getting a darker impression? Anything that is easily available in stores is ok...

akkcausa said:
What is the best way to get a child's thumb impression? Tried using a notary's ink but CGI-SF said it was too faint for scanning. Can anyone suggest a 'better' ink for getting a darker impression? Anything that is easily available in stores is ok...
From an active two-year-old, all I got out of the process was a smudge that no one could recognise. I used a standard stamp pad. It is below the photo on the OCI card, but not sure how they can verify it if they have to! No one complained. If they can write their name in any form, I would recommend that also.

U Know

basis said:
Thanks Mangal. Do you need to tell the employer / prospective employe about it or since you have a right to work and look like an Indian no need to tell.

Hi Basis and Mangal

Sorry cant do it yesterday--here u go

sukoi34

let me know when ur finished. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Indian4. I am done. The images are of very high quality and give the same experience as if viewing holding in ones' hands. You have taken lot of effort to post these - thanks again.