India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
no replies from cginy

My grant date was Feb 14. There has been no contacts from CGINY after that. I am patiently waiting.

krishnan1 said:
My grant date was Feb 14. There has been no contacts from CGINY after that. I am patiently waiting.

Fax them a letter requesting details.Tell them it's been over a month since you were granted and wished to be updated on the status.(Even e-mail to usnri@mea.gov.in) They (CGINY) seem to ignore e-mails and phone calls.The fax no is on the OCI cell page.In some cases the card is just sitting at the consulate because attempts to contact you have failed (Thats what they say).Chicago and SF are issuing cards to granted candidates within two weeks (In fact it's 4 working days for Chicago )!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
basis said:
It was a very casual request and without asking anyone to post their documents. I remember having seen a link for PIO card and it helped me. Because when I received my PIO card - it was not cut very well on border and got solace when I saw an image where it showed the borders were not smooth but cut roughly. When I asked this question to HCI London clerk who handed me this they gave me a blank stare and said if 'you want it replaced there is a fee'. But the online image helped me.

I did not ask anyone to put their personal details on web and would never do. And I would say further that there is nothing called 'active members' who you know etc. If there is anything that you cant publish in public dont sent to anyone whether active / hyperactive or whatever. At least dont send to me.

From the posts of INDIAN4 so far I believe that he is well educated, well versed, intelligent person having common sense to protect his interests. And being an adult who is mature enough I would request him to apply his own judegement in the case - which I think he has already done if you care to see his reply. And also at the same time reiterate that the request was not to someone to post their details but if there was such link.

Hello basis,

I beleive you got a PIO card. Would you please let me know what you get when they issue a PIO card. I heard it is a booklet ( looks like passport ) and some kind of visa in passport. What does it says on visa stamp ?

helper00 said:
Hello basis,

I beleive you got a PIO card. Would you please let me know what you get when they issue a PIO card. I heard it is a booklet ( looks like passport ) and some kind of visa in passport. What does it says on visa stamp ?

A PIO card is a thin booklet which looks like passport but is grey coloured (my color knowledge is pathetic but I take a chance).

There is no visa in foreign passport. You need to carry both PIO card and foreign passport to travel to / from India.

I was trying to find an old link where someone had posted PIO card and the pages inside. But cant find now.

However, if the front outside view would satsify your quench about the PIO card anyway then here is one link where you can find an image -

http://www.indemb.no/IndianEmbassy/IEpiocard.html

And here is a link where you can see images of Indian passport online

http://www.indiawijzer.nl/indian_diaspora/pio_cards.htm

And thinking abt it there are some images of 'first' OCI cards -
http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/08/stories/2006010804001000.htm

So with a PIO card, you don't need a separate visa sticker on your passport, but with a OIC visa you do, thereby making it necessary to carry around your old expired passport with you forever. Since there isn't much substantively different between the two types of visas, I really have to wonder who the geniuses are who come up with this stuff.

mangal969 said:
helper00,
I believe you had asked this very same question a couple of posts ago and it was answered.
Everybody,
If you want to see the first OCI card from afar (in colour):
http://images.theglobalindian.com/index.php?page=album.21&PHPSESSID=6ec9703155563107521e0d3a0cbbf0c7

The last picture on Page 2 gives a good view of the OCI card opened and the U visa.
P.S The title names Nivruti Rai as the first dual citizen of India...Pure BS...Ignore that part :mad: :eek:

I wonder why they keep calling Dual citizen when it is a glorified lifelong visa :p

Hotdiggety said:
So with a PIO card, you don't need a separate visa sticker on your passport, but with a OIC visa you do, thereby making it necessary to carry around your old expired passport with you forever. Since there isn't much substantively different between the two types of visas, I really have to wonder who the geniuses are who come up with this stuff.

It is probably a group of geniuses that work at the GoI. If you do not want to carry your old passport with the OCI visa sticker, they will transfer it to your new passport for a fee of $25 (if you are based in the U.S)

OCI Card

I wonder if anyone on this forum has actually used their OCI Card so far or known anyone who used it for travel to India etc. and if so what the experiences are?

Would be very interested to hear!

boggavarapu said:
I wonder if anyone on this forum has actually used their OCI Card so far or known anyone who used it for travel to India etc. and if so what the experiences are?

boggavarapu - It would be too early to expect that. And if you really think about it why would the experience be any different than the one trvelling on PIO card ? For that matter my experience is if you are just visiting India on social / business / tourist purpose then there is no real difference between five year multi-entry visa, PIO visa or now OCI visa. The convenince of OCI then is in terms of no registration requirements, life longeivity.

The experience I would be really keen to know about is those who are / will be living in India for a period of one year or more, work / study there. Again the experience will be similar to that of PIO holders except the registration hassle. But today we dont even have enough accounts of people who are in India with PIO cards. So that would be interesting - how they are received, treated as foreign citizens; the issues - like NRI education costs; investements and taxation; job availability and selection for PIOs / OCIs - are they treated at par with resident nationals; visits to restricted areas PAP / RAPs; getting work visas processes from India e.g. if one holds UK passport and is needed to go and work in the US for his Indian MNC for say 9 months - are there any issues in H1 / L1 etc. processings and so on.

unfortunately not many people have shared their experiences on these aspects and there is lot of grey in there.

fitness99 said:
It is probably a group of geniuses that work at the GoI. If you do not want to carry your old passport with the OCI visa sticker, they will transfer it to your new passport for a fee of $25 (if you are based in the U.S)
Yes indeed. At a charge of 25USD or its equivalent they will transfer the OCI visa sticker to new passport if you wish at any Indian mission / FRRO / FRO. Else you have an option to carry the passport that has OCI sticker.

boggavarapu said:

I sent my wife off today with an OCI!

I told her not to show the card and just show the visa. The OCI is packed away at the bottom of her hand luggage. The Airline checked the visa at the check in counter, and I expected to hear "nice visa" etc, but not even a raised eyebrow. (It's the best visa I've ever seen) I don't think they even know what an Indian visa looks like - they were just following procedures.

She is due to arrive in India in about 10 hours and I will keep you posted.

PS. Just saw basis's post. She is just using the OCI as a visa, so won't need to take it out outside the Airport. I worked in India under a 5 year LTV. Never had to show my passport for anything, except FRRO registration/police. Openning bank accounts etc was never an issue.

OCI Card

PIO1 said:

I told her not to show the card and just show the visa. The OCI is packed away at the bottom of her hand luggage. The Airline checked the visa at the check in counter, and I expected to hear "nice visa" etc, but not even a raised eyebrow. (It's the best visa I've ever seen) I don't think they even know what an Indian visa looks like - they were just following procedures.

PS. Just saw basis's post. She is just using the OCI as a visa, so won't need to take it out outside the Airport. I worked in India under a 5 year LTV. Never had to show my passport for anything, except FRRO registration/police. Openning bank accounts etc was never an issue.

Thanks for sharing the information. Please keep us posted further with any interesting information related to the use of OCI Card in India.

Collection of OCI Cards

I will be personally visiting the Indian Consulate (in USA) during the next few days for the collection of our OCI cards (Self and family). I preferred a personal visit to that of mail collection.

I will be handing over our existing PIO Cards to the Consulate as per the rules. Is there anything I need to be particularly aware of while I am in the Consulate while handing over my PIO Cards etc? Ofcourse, I intend to verify the details on the OCI Cards (Particularly name spellings etc.) as I heard that there have been errors on the Cards in some cases!!

The point is that I will only get the OCI Cards after they have actually taken and cancelled my PIO Cards. Is there is anyway that I can first verify our OCI documents and then submit the PIO Cards? In that way, if there are any mistakes found on the OCI Cards, they I can actually request the Consulate to first get them corrected. Once that is done then I can finally submit the PIO Cards. I feel that corrections could take some time (Days or weeks?)

The reason I am mentioning this is because I would hate to wait further for the corrected OCI Cards and hold the cancelled PIO Cards at the same time. That would be quite inconvenient especially as we have already booked our tickets to visit India in the next 8 weeks!

Would appreciate any suggestions/advice. Thanks.

boggavarapu said:
I will be personally visiting the Indian Consulate (in USA) during the next few days for the collection of our OCI cards (Self and family). I preferred a personal visit to that of mail collection.

I will be handing over our existing PIO Cards to the Consulate as per the rules. Is there anything I need to be particularly aware of while I am in the Consulate while handing over my PIO Cards etc? Ofcourse, I intend to verify the details on the OCI Cards (Particularly name spellings etc.) as I heard that there have been errors on the Cards in some cases!!

The point is that I will only get the OCI Cards after they have actually taken and cancelled my PIO Cards. Is there is anyway that I can first verify our OCI documents and then submit the PIO Cards? In that way, if there are any mistakes found on the OCI Cards, they I can actually request the Consulate to first get them corrected. Once that is done then I can finally submit the PIO Cards. I feel that corrections could take some time (Days or weeks?)

The reason I am mentioning this is because I would hate to wait further for the corrected OCI Cards and hold the cancelled PIO Cards at the same time. That would be quite inconvenient especially as we have already booked our tickets to visit India in the next 8 weeks!

Would appreciate any suggestions/advice. Thanks.
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW did you manage to get a refund for your full fee less PIO discount?

Re OCI/PIO ... Just ask them if you can have a look before they cancel. They probably will not remember the PIOs, and you can offer it back after you collect. It takes a fair time to check - don't rush, you need to check dates, passport numbers etc.

PIO1 said:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW did you manage to get a refund for your full fee less PIO discount?

Re OCI/PIO ... Just ask them if you can have a look before they cancel. They probably will not remember the PIOs, and you can offer it back after you collect. It takes a fair time to check - don't rush, you need to check dates, passport numbers etc.

Unfortunately not. I have written to everyone re. the refund. Not a single reply I got. The bottomline seems to be that I have paid the full fee in the beginning as per the regulations at that time for OCI. Now it is a reduced fee and as such no refunds permissible!!! I guess I learnt my lesson once again!! It would have been better if I had waited until the OCI scheme got more stabilized!!

PIO1 said:

My wife just arrived in India. Again the visa did not raise eyebrows. In india, it is the local police who are responsible for immigration. More importantly - she did not have to remove the OCIs - they are still in her bag. She will return in a few months - but I doubt they will check the OCI card on her way back either.

So all went smoothly.

Glad to know the U visa 'works' :)
BTW Which line did she have to stand in at immigration ? Are Indian nationals/PIO's & OCI's in one queue or is there a seperate queue between the 3 groups ?
Or was it the "foreigner's" queue ?

basis- OCI holders are not allowed into PAP/RAP areas without special permission.OCI's are to be treated on par with NRI's so i believe that you would have to pay NRI fees (unless you pass HSC from India-No one asks for the passport copy.They do want the domicile which basically can be bought.).About the issue of being treated as foreigners well all i can say is most PIO's follow a dont ask dont tell policy.The passport comes out only where it's needed (FRRO,airports).Otherwise behave like an Indian.

Bogga-Forgive my recollection but was your OCI from NY ?

Thanks Mangal. Do you need to tell the employer / prospective employe about it or since you have a right to work and look like an Indian no need to tell.

mangal969 said:
Glad to know the U visa 'works' :)
BTW Which line did she have to stand in at immigration ? Are Indian nationals/PIO's & OCI's in one queue or is there a seperate queue between the 3 groups ?
Or was it the "foreigner's" queue ?

basis- OCI holders are not allowed into PAP/RAP areas without special permission.OCI's are to be treated on par with NRI's so i believe that you would have to pay NRI fees (unless you pass HSC from India-No one asks for the passport copy.They do want the domicile which basically can be bought.).About the issue of being treated as foreigners well all i can say is most PIO's follow a dont ask dont tell policy.The passport comes out only where it's needed (FRRO,airports).Otherwise behave like an Indian.

Bogga-Forgive my recollection but was your OCI from NY ?

Mangal 969

My OCI is from Chicago.