India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sv2707 said:
Did you cancel Indian PP, before applying? I think I saw somewhere, maybe Chicago consulate which does acknowledge that those who did not cancel their Indian PP should bring it in when they come for their sticker???

I had my Indian PP cancelled when i got US citizenship.
I dont think any consulate will accept a valid Indian passport for processing an OCI application.
You have 2 options:
1.Have the passport cancelled and then send the application
2.Send the Indian passport with the application and request them to cancel the passport.(This is what Chicago allows)

If you live somewhere near the consulate or are in a position to go there choose option 1 otherwise go for option 2.

mangal969 said:
I had my Indian PP cancelled when i got US citizenship.
I dont think any consulate will accept a valid Indian passport for processing an OCI application.
You have 2 options:
1.Have the passport cancelled and then send the application
2.Send the Indian passport with the application and request them to cancel the passport.(This is what Chicago allows)

If you live somewhere near the consulate or are in a position to go there choose option 1 otherwise go for option 2.

I had called the Houston office for cancelling the Indian passports before applying for OCI. They advised me to wait and send the passports after the OCI was granted. I sent my Indian passport alongwith US passport for stamping the "U" visa and they cancelled it at that time.

sv2707

technically you cant have oci when u have indian passport. If i was u i will cancel Ind passport first before applying oci or atleast send the ind passport for cancellation at the time of applying for oci.

Chicago is on a roll.People who were granted OCI on the 11th of March are getting their cards today ! Bravo Chicago !

OCICHICAGO said:
Krutika,

Letting you know that I just received the OCI documents from the Indian Consulate, Chicago.

Hi OCICHICAGO,

Could you tell me where you live?

They got mine on the 7th of March. I still have not received it back. I had marked the envelope 'For OCI Scheme' and not 'For OCI Document' ( they probably changed the instructions later)...I am wondering if they've even opened the envelope. My worst fears are if they've not written my address correctly and mailed it and it's all lost in the mail now. Freaking out a little...

I've emailed/faxed etc ...will call tomorrow and see. Never seem to get through over the phone and when I do, it's usually not a pleasant experience...

I'm wondering now how to determine if they've mailed it and it's lost ...

thanks

More news on Chicago-They do not have a single application that is under process.They had 884 applicants and all are approved as of today.840 have received their OCI cards.
New York on the other hand has 1297 applications 'Under process' and 760 "Granted'.On backtracking i found that on an average 50 New Yorkers get the granted status daily and god knows how many have actually received their cards (But from what i hear it must be a small amount-People granted in Jan-Feb are yet to get their cards)and how many people are still outside the system.
If all these apps are being processed in India i dont understand why it's slow for NY consulate people.But with Chicago having no pending applications now maybe it will go faster.If the apps are processed locally however maybe NY should send 300 or so apps to chicago for processing :)

fitness99 said:
VS007 - The reason I know this is I cut my long middle name during the naturalization process, and I currently hold a PIO. I sent a copy of my name change certificate along with the PIO application, and explained that in a cover letter. :D

Thanks. Thats good to know.

Picked up my OCI!!!!!

So here are some useful notes ...

Time to process
============
Applied in 2004. 16 months later got a note asking for more info. Did a brand new application against the old receipt.
2 weeks after I sent in my app - status was "Under process". About 3 working days later it was "Granted". My OCI is dated one day after the granted date. Another 2 weeks later I got called in to pick it up. So About 1 month from valid application to receipt in hand.

What I got
========
(1) A light blue passport sized card titled Overseas Citizenship of India Registration Certificate. Slightly flimsy in appearance. On the inside (covers) is a professionally printed passport like page that had the data that I had entered in on the web site - Name, DoB, Occupation!, etc. Also had an imbeded printed photo. On the back cover page, my parent's names, my address and my current US passport Nos/place of issue/date of passport issue. The file number is also given as per the web site, but this is not the same as the OCI number. There is a sheet (i.e. 4 pages) in the card that lists the benefits of the OCI card, and a blank page. The first page is stamped and signed by the embassy - the signature was the only handwritten item.
(2) My passport was handed back with a sticker (U-Visa) similar to a normal indian visa, except the title was Overseas Citizenship of India Visa, and it also had the same printed photo as the OCI in color. It was unlimited in duration, not valid for scheduled areas, and signed by the embassy again the only handwritten item - quite nice - better looking than a US visa.

Other than these two I was given nothing else, no letter etc.

NOTES
=====
I did not send the prescribed photo size. As it was not square, it appeared squashed, no problem for me, but my wife was not happy (made her look fat ;)). I guess it is meant to last a lifetime.

Also if you do the application on line, all the data you type is what gets printed on the card as is - so double check. The advantage is that if you do it online, there is less chance for transcribing errors that others have seen.

Minors thumbprint appears under the photo, otherwise signature (again, digital + printed)

Bit of an anticlimax in the end - no ceremony, - but a long wait that is finally over, so I'm happy!

mangal969 said:
More news on Chicago-They do not have a single application that is under process.They had 884 applicants and all are approved as of today.840 have received their OCI cards.
New York on the other hand has 1297 applications 'Under process' and 760 "Granted'.

Mangal,
First of all congratulations!. Now a quick question: Where did you get these stats from? I couldn't seem to find them on CGINY site.

Thanx in advance.

PIO1 - Congrats...now you are OCI No. 1 .....enjoy....I hope you would continue visiting the forum though....you have been an entertaining and valuable contributor

Can you please tell us what have they written as benefits on the OCI card.

PIO1 said:
Picked up my OCI!!!!!

So here are some useful notes ...

Time to process
============
Applied in 2004. 16 months later got a note asking for more info. Did a brand new application against the old receipt.
2 weeks after I sent in my app - status was "Under process". About 3 working days later it was "Granted". My OCI is dated one day after the granted date. Another 2 weeks later I got called in to pick it up. So About 1 month from valid application to receipt in hand.

What I got
========
(1) A light blue passport sized card titled Overseas Citizenship of India Registration Certificate. Slightly flimsy in appearance. On the inside (covers) is a professionally printed passport like page that had the data that I had entered in on the web site - Name, DoB, Occupation!, etc. Also had an imbeded printed photo. On the back cover page, my parent's names, my address and my current US passport Nos/place of issue/date of passport issue. The file number is also given as per the web site, but this is not the same as the OCI number. There is a sheet (i.e. 4 pages) in the card that lists the benefits of the OCI card, and a blank page. The first page is stamped and signed by the embassy - the signature was the only handwritten item.
(2) My passport was handed back with a sticker (U-Visa) similar to a normal indian visa, except the title was Overseas Citizenship of India Visa, and it also had the same printed photo as the OCI in color. It was unlimited in duration, not valid for scheduled areas, and signed by the embassy again the only handwritten item - quite nice - better looking than a US visa.

Other than these two I was given nothing else, no letter etc.

NOTES
=====
I did not send the prescribed photo size. As it was not square, it appeared squashed, no problem for me, but my wife was not happy (made her look fat ;)). I guess it is meant to last a lifetime.

Also if you do the application on line, all the data you type is what gets printed on the card as is - so double check. The advantage is that if you do it online, there is less chance for transcribing errors that others have seen.

Minors thumbprint appears under the photo, otherwise signature (again, digital + printed)

Bit of an anticlimax in the end - no ceremony, - but a long wait that is finally over, so I'm happy!
Congrats!! Your valuable criticism of GOI will be missed. BTW 17 months is still less than the 48 months it takes to get the brit perm. residence.

Deer said:
Mangal,
First of all congratulations!. Now a quick question: Where did you get these stats from? I couldn't seem to find them on CGINY site.

Thanx in advance.

:D Punching the numbers on the MHA's online status inquiry :D
File nos are in the format USAN00XXXX06.

hipka said:
Congrats!! Your valuable criticism of GOI will be missed. BTW 17 months is still less than the 48 months it takes to get the brit perm. residence.

Hipka -Are you a GoI representative monitoring this forum :confused:
:D :D :D :D :D
This forum is for OCI only it is not for comparing how the governments function within their own independent laws.There must be a forum for bashing the Governement of England over Perm residence.

BTW Just so you brought it up it's a question of 17 months instead of the procedural 15 days v/s 48 months instead of no time bound procedure.Also OCI is only for people who have Indian ancestrey while BPR is for all who qualify.So obviously BPR will have more rigorous checks and balances.Dont try to compare apples and stringbeans

Last edited by a moderator:
basis said:
PIO1 - Congrats...now you are OCI No. 1 .....enjoy....I hope you would continue visiting the forum though....you have been an entertaining and valuable contributor

Can you please tell us what have they written as benefits on the OCI card.
Thanks basis and all!

OK

I'll leave out the Hindi translations - everything is translated before the english description

Front Cover
=========
Certificate of Registration
Overseas Citizen Of India
[Emblem]
Republic of India

Inside Front Cover (laminated, pre printed)
==============
No. A 005xxx
Digital Color Picture
Digital Scanned Signature
Surname: xxx
Given Name(s): xxx
Nationality: USA
Sex: M
Date of Birth: dd/mm/yyyy
Place of Birth: City Country
Place of Issue: Washington DC
Date of Issue dd/mm/yyyy

(2 lines of machine readable passport text like US passport)

Page 1 (insert)
==================

This is to certify that the person whose particulars are given in this Certificate has been registered as an Overseas Citizen of India under the provisions of Section 7A of the Citizenship Act, 1955.

[Signature, Designation and Seal of embassy rep]
-------------------------
Signature & Seal of issuing authority

Page 2 (insert)
============
Blank except for page no "2"

Page 3 (insert)
===========
REGISTER O.C.I IS ENTITLED TO THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
1 Grant of multiple entry, multi-purpose live long visa to visit India;
2 Exemption from registration with FRRO/FRO for any length of stay in India; and
3 Parity with NRIs in economic, financial and educational fields except in matters relating to acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties.

For other information on O.C.I Scheme
Visit MHA's website: www.mha.nic.in

Page 4 (insert)
===========
CAUTION
1 This certificate is the property of the Government of India. Any communication received by the holder from the issuing Authority regarding this certificate including demand for its surrender should be complied with immediately.
2 This certificate must not be altered or mutilated in any way.
3 Loss, theft or destruction of this certificate should be immediately reported to the nearest Indian Mission abroad or to the O.C.I. cell, Citizenship Section, Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Jaisalmer House, Mansingh Road, New Delhi-110011 if, the holder is in India.

Inside back cover (laminated, pre printed)
Name of Father/Legal Guardian
xxxx
Name of Mother
xxxx
Address
[2 Lines + Country]
Passport No.
[US Passport No]
Date of Issue
[of Passport]
Place of Issue
[of Passport]
Visible Distinguishing Mark of OCI Certificate Holder
xxx
File No
[from application]

Back Cover
=========
blank

note - last half of booklet is perferated with the OCI No.

U Visa sticker in passport (Again all labels are translated in Hindi)
=====
VISA
REPUBLIC OF INDIA
VISA FOR OVERSEAS CITIZEN OF INDIA
[Digital color picture]
[Visa no is printed - exactly the same as OCI no except U prefix i.e. U 005xxx]
Type
'U'
Date of issue
dd/mm/yyyy
Validity
LIFELONG
No of Entries
MULTIPLE
Passport No.
[US Passport No]
OCI No.
A005xxx
Special Endorsement
[blank]
Signature of issuing Authority
[Embasy Rep's signature]
Issued at
Washington DC
Not valid for prohibited, restricted and cantonment areas.

(2 lines of machine readable passport text like US passport)

PIO1 said:
Picked up my OCI!!!!!

COngrats PIO have a fun weekend with ur OCI. Great!!!

mangal969 said:
New York on the other hand has 1297 applications 'Under process' and 760 "Granted'.On backtracking i found that on an average 50 New Yorkers get the granted status daily and god knows how many have actually received their cards (But from what i hear it must be a small amount-People granted in Jan-Feb are yet to get their cards)and how many people are still outside the system.
If all these apps are being processed in India i dont understand why it's slow for NY consulate people.But with Chicago having no pending applications now maybe it will go faster.If the apps are processed locally however maybe NY should send 300 or so apps to chicago for processing :)

CGISF just updated their site and more than 800 folks' OCI are ready for dispatch and I am one of the lucky ones.

Good luck to all.

Hip Hip Horray !!!!!!

Collected my OCI yesterday. Everything is fine except in the card Occupation: they have written my employer (Company) name. Anyway that dosent matter for the time being. May be we should start another thread for correction of OCI cards.
Any way I am happy and not repeating what PIO 1 has written earlier.

Just a small joke I encountered in Indian consulate in Sydney yesterday. One guy (Indian passport) came to collect the PCC and was given another guys passport and the original PCC. The person in the counter and the applicant didn't check the passport and he left. Then came the other guy and the people inside the counter started searching for his passport. Finally they found out what happened. Hope they get it back from the first guy :( :eek:

Indian4 said:
COngrats PIO have a fun weekend with ur OCI. Great!!!
Thanks Indian4, fitness, mangal969 and congrats to mangal panday. We both applied in 2004, but I did a new app again in 06 online. I think future people should fill in the online app its not secure - but there is less chance for typos - mine was perfect.

Question

We are about to go to India and will be doing a lot of travelling. Other than the Visa, we don't need the OCI, so I was wondering can I leave the OCI Certificate at home. The visa seems good enough for customs, so why do I need to carry the certificate around? Can anyone get a definative answer. I got a blank look from the Embassy when I asked the busy clerk.