India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
In mine the same column says "Passport office,Name of city".Maybe you should fill in US Department of State and space permitting enter the city where you got it from in brackets.

My passport does not have the place of issue. I got it last year in October. I wrote USA for place of issue and had no problems. I have received my OCI card and the visa.

Rajax said:
Folks,

I checked my status on the OCI Online website today and it changed to "Granted" 09-Mar-2006

Well done. Now for the 2-8 week wait, along with the 23,000 others who are waiting for their card.

I know the feeling. I waited 15 months to discover that they did not bother reading my full application, where they would have found a photocopy of my passport. They just returned the whole batch to the consulate because they assumed no one had enclosed it.

OCICHICAGO said:
Hi Krutika,

Did you receive the OCI documents from the CHICAGO CONSULATE?

I had FEDEXED my passport and the consulate received it on Monday (03/06/06). I have not yet received my passport back.

Hello Ocichicago,

We've sent our passports - I think they would have received it on the 7th or 8th of March. I'm guessing we should get it back next week or the week after. Keeping my fingers corssed everything is OK. Will keep you posted.

thanks

Indian4 said:
Do u have anyone livng close by cgny who can help you by going in person to the office??

You can also try telecom directory serv if the number changed they will tell u its changed and will give u the new number for cgny

I think the consular officers are smarter than that :p .They may have left the line active and just unplugged the phone.The consulate has a different number from the OCI cell and if you call the consulate they give this no.They say the OCI cell is isolated from the consulate (telephone wise).

Rajax said:
Folks,

I checked my status on the OCI Online website today and it changed to "Granted" 09-Mar-2006

Here's my detailed timeline

Jan 09, 2006 --
--------------
Original filing of Part A and B

Jan 14, 2006 - Feb 14, 2006
----------------------------
Checked status online kept showing "Not registered with Concern Mission". And I got "concern" (ed) :D

Feb 14, 2006 --
--------------
Read in this Forum that others who filed after me are getting status "Granted"

Feb 15, 2006 --
--------------
Sent an enquiry to CGISF asking what happened to my case

Feb 20, 2006 --
--------------
CGISF sends an a reply with a copy of a previous email they sent me dated Feb 4, 2006 asking for a better passport copy. Folks I NEVER got this - and of course are you kidding me - any email OCI - and, could I have missed it for all the world??

Feb 21, 2006 --
--------------
Fedex'ed required additional docs

Feb 22, 2006 --
--------------
CGISF signs and receives package per tracking info

Feb 28, 2006 --
--------------
Status changes to "Under Process"

Mar 09, 2006 (today)
--------------
Status changes to "Granted"

Overall happiness index at this point :D :D

my lessons learned are:
1) read this Forum actively to know what to expect in terms of timeline and be sensitive to relative delays in your own case compared to others
2) be proctive - write /call Consulates or even GOI (as some are doing) on status, don't be shy or lazy :D

Without 1 and 2, think about it - I would not have a clue since I never got the email they sent and I would have been sitting around waiting (AND SO WOULD THEY!)

Other observations: CGISF in impressively fast, and so is GOI - real data in my case is showing they are taking only about a week-a-piece to get the paperwork in place/approval etc.

Overall great going - Both consulate and GOI. Very Impressive

Now the usual courier delay from india for the stickers of course..:D

Congatulations and best of luck for getting your stickers quickly. I am also in process of filing application at CGISF. Couple of questions for you and appreciate your time in responding those in advance.

1. Our company notary says that in California, it is against the law to notarize photocopies. He said that you can make a photocopy and certify the same by writting that "this is true copy of the original" and sign it. Then he will notorize this certified copy. Is it usual? Where did you get your passport copy notarozed?

2. I do not have place of issue on my US passport. It asks for passport number and place of issue in Part A of the application, which I suppose to be for US (Thanks to Mangal699 for clarifying that). I know 3 of our passports were processed at SFO and one of them at Colorado. I guesss I will put the same on application.

Thanks and Regards,

Dilip Jaju

Survey results

Consulate Date PIO Status
PIO1 DC,USA Nov-04 No Granted
inindia Mum,India Feb-06 Yes Yet to register
Indian4 Wel,NZ Jan-06 No Unknown
Mangal969 NY,USA Jan-06 No Unknown
fitness99 TX,USA Jan-06 No Yet to register
rajudm NY,USA Jan-06 No Granted
Rajax SF,USA Jan-06 No Under Process
qwert Tor,CAN Dec-05 No Issued-Feb
Krutika Chic,US Jan-06 No Issued-Mar

Sorry about the formating, not sure how to get it in table form...

Houston CGI has responded to my email earlier today, and they said my application is "under process". I hope that means they dusted my application and someone will look at it :)

Survey results

lcauser- CGISF - Mar-02 - No - Yet to register

I just added my info onto this list.

OCICHICAGO said:
Krutika,

Letting you know that I just received the OCI documents from the Indian Consulate, Chicago.

Hi OCICHICAGO,

Did you get your Passport etc. back safely. Could you please give more details - how many days it took altogether for them to return the documents.

I need to go and collect my OCI documents from them soon. Somehow, I am thinking of going there personally rather than through mail! Did you feel the same way initially?

Thanks.

Survey results

lcauser- CGISF - Mar-02 - No - Yet to register
Atlvas TX,USA Jan-29 No Yet to register

I just added my info onto this list.

I got an email from CGI houston yesterday to send our passports. But I had I already sent my passports after checking online status as "granted" on Feb 18th. I called the consulate today, the operator took my message and told me that some one from OCI dept will call back. They never did. I am little worried now.

Hopefully they kept them along with my file and send me back the passports. In the email, they only addressed my family members, not me, asking for passports. But the online status shows "granted" for everyone. I thought the application for the entire family will be processed togeather.

boggavarapu said:
Hi OCICHICAGO,

Did you get your Passport etc. back safely. Could you please give more details - how many days it took altogether for them to return the documents.

I need to go and collect my OCI documents from them soon. Somehow, I am thinking of going there personally rather than through mail! Did you feel the same way initially?

Thanks.

Well, you may send your passport to them by mail (it is of course better

to send by FEDEX or EXPRESS MAIL so that you can tarck it). The consulate

had received my passport on March 6, 2006. I got it back today (March 10,

2006) by United Postal Service (UPS). The only problem was that UPS left

the packet at my door (UPS usually does so).

OCICHICAGO said:
Krutika,

Letting you know that I just received the OCI documents from the Indian Consulate, Chicago.

Congratulations, OCI!! They got mine on the 6th...so lets see if I get this today or sometime next week.

I am hoping to join next week!

mangal969 said:
My status is "Yet to register" :(

I have most everything that is needed for app and will send it to CGINY next week and I guess will join you as wait buddy...

So we are supposed to provide fingerprint for a child or leave it blank? Anyone? Did all of you trim pict sizes to 35x35mm.

desi111 said:
I have most everything that is needed for app and will send it to CGINY next week and I guess will join you as wait buddy...

So we are supposed to provide fingerprint for a child or leave it blank? Anyone? Did all of you trim pict sizes to 35x35mm.

Send a blank e-mail to"oci@uciglobal.net".The auto response has all the information you need as regards applications through CGINY.If it is not ".net" try".com"

The photos dont exactly have to be 35x35.Any photo of roughly that size is fine

Calling all Applicants of OCI @ CGINY

Are there anyone who applied in 2006 and received approval for OCI & stamped in PP ??

How come it is faster elsewhere, given that all applications are processed in New Delhi?

Thanks,
SV

sv2707 said:
Are there anyone who applied in 2006 and received approval for OCI & stamped in PP ??

How come it is faster elsewhere, given that all applications are processed in New Delhi?

Thanks,
SV

I think there are 2 reasons for it:
1.CGINY is just not prepared- They dont have enough staff and whatever staff they have isnt doing their job properly.It takes 3 days for the documents to reach from my house to the CGINY mail room and 2 weeks from the CGINY mail room to the OCI cell!They dont respond to e-mails and since over a week they dont even answer the phone ! (this must be the primary reason)

2.New York has a bigger share of applications (But if this is the case they should "outsource" to the other embassies with less application load)