India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
24 hours sounds a bit too early for my liking :)
I guess the only thing we can go is pester them over the phone and e-mails until someone actually replies !
Or threaten withdrawal of the application...maybe that might work

When i cntctd hci nz on my app status abot 3 wks ago they said they hav not strtd the process yet. I did threatn withdrwl of app and that ill go for pio. The very nxt day they said my app has gone to india and i cant go fro pio now--cheap shits-- they told me i will rcv a aknlgmnt soon its bn 1.5 weeks now no file no, no aknlgmnt. Im planing to go to India in April slowly im loosing hope.

Indian4 said:
When i cntctd hci nz on my app status abot 3 wks ago they said they hav not strtd the process yet. I did threatn withdrwl of app and that ill go for pio. The very nxt day they said my app has gone to india and i cant go fro pio now--cheap shits-- they told me i will rcv a aknlgmnt soon its bn 1.5 weeks now no file no, no aknlgmnt. Im planing to go to India in April slowly im loosing hope.

I feel your pain Indian4. It is a pain in the neck to get a proper response from GoI unless you know some higher officials in the system...I guess living outside India, we are used to a bit better customer service :D

Mangal,

Krutika's OCI granted status is not a computer glitch. As I had mentioned

before, not a single applicant is in the 2006 list of the Chicago consulate,

whose application was approved in January 2006 (all are February 2006

granted applicants). However, I have checked and found out that

there are several people who got their applications of OCI granted on

January, 2006 (as per the online status inquiry)- I do not know what they

have done with our applications? I have a valid file no. showing that

my application was granted on January 11. 2006 and it also shows my name.

Can you please mention the name of the person and telephone number

whom I can contact in India to know the status of my application?

OCICHICAGO said:
Mangal,

Krutika's OCI granted status is not a computer glitch. As I had mentioned

before, not a single applicant is in the 2006 list of the Chicago consulate,

whose application was approved in January 2006 (all are February 2006

granted applicants). However, I have checked and found out that

there are several people who got their applications of OCI granted on

January, 2006 (as per the online status inquiry)- I do not know what they

have done with our applications? I have a valid file no. showing that

my application was granted on January 11. 2006 and it also shows my name.

Can you please mention the name of the person and telephone number

whom I can contact in India to know the status of my application?

You already know the status its granted why dont you visit, e-mail, phone, fax or a registered letter to embassy with your file number, granted status( Print out of this from mha online status enquiry) date, Name, asking for when to send your passport for stamping.

fitness99 said:
I feel your pain Indian4. It is a pain in the neck to get a proper response from GoI unless you know some higher officials in the system...I guess living outside India, we are used to a bit better customer service :D

tell me about it fitness this process is very tiring. Hope after this process i dont have to interact with these losers anymore. How far is ur app at??

Indian4 said:
tell me about it fitness this process is very tiring. Hope after this process i dont have to interact with these losers anymore. How far is ur app at??

I appled for it during Jan 06 third week at the Houston consulate. The online status says something about not yet registered with the concerned mission! I am not sure what the mission is...if the Houston consulate did not send something to GoI? I don't see the OIC process being a difficult task to handle by the GoI and the consulates...but again what else can we expect from GoI!

The Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs, Shri Vayalar Ravi told the Rajya Sabha today that as on 17.2.2006 a total of 4748 Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) applications were received, out of which 1690 incomplete applications were returned to Missions/MHA. The remaining 3058 OCI applications were processed and OCI documents sent to the Missions direct by courier/through MHA for handing them over to the applicants. This is an on-going process, he added.

The Minister further said that OCI applications have been received mainly from US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK and UAE.

The above information was given by the Minister in reply to a question by Smt. Kum Kum Rai.

fitness99 said:
I appled for it during Jan 06 third week at the Houston consulate. The online status says something about not yet registered with the concerned mission! I am not sure what the mission is...if the Houston consulate did not send something to GoI? I don't see the OIC process being a difficult task to handle by the GoI and the consulates...but again what else can we expect from GoI!
Not registered with the concerned mission in your case means not registered with the Houston consulate

mangal969 said:
Not registered with the concerned mission in your case means not registered with the Houston consulate

Looks like the Houston consulate is snoozing on my application. Incompetence at its best!

fitness99 said:
Living with USCIS I feel GOI is better! I am surprised that despite having endured total piece of sh*t treatment in the hands of US govt. for several years while waiting for greencard, NRI's expect prompt service from GoI, knowing fully well that they have contributed 0 dollars and zero cents as tax revenue to GoI.

Last edited by a moderator:
hipka said:
Living with USCIS I feel GOI is better! I am surprised that despite having endured total piece of sh*t treatment in the hands of US govt. for several years while waiting for greencard, NRI's expect prompt service from GoI, knowing fully well that they have contributed 0 dollars and zero cents as tax revenue to GoI.

Well, I would say several NRI's contribute tax revenue to GoI including me. I do not recall USCIS promising green cards in a month while GoI came up with that timeline several times for OIC applicants :D

fitness99 said:
Well, I would say several NRI's contribute tax revenue to GoI including me. I do not recall USCIS promising green cards in a month while GoI came up with that timeline several times for OIC applicants :D
If you are a foreign citizen living outside india, why are you paying taxes to GoI? If you are not then why are you applying for OIC? Members of this 'rant forum against GoI' should realize that for the 'peanut fees' you are paying (>$1000) you will only get 'monkey' service!
About USCIS, lets not get into that here. There are several forums with people wailing and ranting against USCIS for GC delays. check it out if you like ( http://www.rupnet.net/immigration/posts/reply.asp?id=6650 )

http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=15813

Rajya Sabha

The Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs, Shri Vayalar Ravi told the Rajya Sabha today that as on 17.2.2006 a total of 4748 Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) applications were received, out of which 1690 incomplete applications were returned to Missions/MHA. The remaining 3058 OCI applications were processed and OCI documents sent to the Missions direct by courier/through MHA for handing them over to the applicants. This is an on-going process, he added.

The Minister further said that OCI applications have been received mainly from US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK and UAE.

The above information was given by the Minister in reply to a question by Smt. Kum Kum Rai.

AK/SK/JA

hipka said:
If you are a foreign citizen living outside india, why are you paying taxes to GoI? If you are not then why are you applying for OIC? Members of this 'rant forum against GoI' should realize that for the 'peanut fees' you are paying (>$1000) you will only get 'monkey' service!
About USCIS, lets not get into that here. There are several forums with people wailing and ranting against USCIS for GC delays. check it out if you like ( http://www.rupnet.net/immigration/posts/reply.asp?id=6650 )

hipka - very true. but in the UK we did not have any such issues. The UK PR is a walkin process. Once you complete very objective criteria - 4 years stay and no absence more than 90 days per year - you are given PR within an hour. Cost - GBP 500 (premium same day service).

Similarly for naturalisation - again walkin centres are there to accept the appln. Mine and hundreds others got theirapln approved within 5 days to 3-4 weeks. Passport was issued in two days from oath taking. Cost - Apporx 300 GBP for naturalisation and 70 GBP for passport (premium one week service)

If you believe in giving links to message boards then here is one for you: http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=5575&start=0

I applied for PIO card - costing almost 300 GBP and took 4 weeks (no guarantee at all). OCI I dont even dare to apply. I have all my money / investment in India and pay all taxes there for all the years on interest / dividends / rents and other income. Much more than normal resident Indians - remember only 3% of working indian population pays taxes.

I remember and know even now that in India even for resident Indian citizens passport issuance takes 3 weeks to many months. Passport renewals / duplicate passport etc takes months.

please keep sharing your ignorance and utter disrespect for others on this board. It helps me to have a real good laugh and release some stress.....:) Ignorance is a bliss.....very true.

wow at last we have a GOI employee(May be houston) in here. Fitness ask hipka might know about your case :D

Well it doesnt matter wot country we are in if we expect some service with a time line given we would expect proper service whether it be India, us,canada etc.The whole point of coming to this forum is that reason. If someone don't have any bitterness in their life they should look for some happy forum. Well tax-- we have paid enough tax when we were in india and we have paid enough tax in the present country we are living at well this doesnt matter anyway as we are expecting a promised service for a price--Purely Business.

CGSF finally acted on 2004 - 2005 cases

Got ours and around 290 + others approved. Details are on their website

Indian4 said:
wow at last we have a GOI employee(May be houston) in here. Fitness ask hipka might know about your case :D

Well it doesnt matter wot country we are in if we expect some service with a time line given we would expect proper service whether it be India, us,canada etc.The whole point of coming to this forum is that reason. If someone don't have any bitterness in their life they should look for some happy forum. Well tax-- we have paid enough tax when we were in india and we have paid enough tax in the present country we are living at well this doesnt matter anyway as we are expecting a promised service for a price--Purely Business.

I think so!!! :D Perhaps if the GoI employees get to work instead of lurking on this forum we will get the dang PIO/OIC/Visa applications moving faster :p

I still pay my share of taxes in India due to investments/properties.

basis said:
hipka - very true. but in the UK we did not have any such issues. The UK PR is a walkin process. Once you complete very objective criteria - 4 years stay and no absence more than 90 days per year - you are given PR within an hour. Cost - GBP 500 (premium same day service).

Similarly for naturalisation - again walkin centres are there to accept the appln. Mine and hundreds others got theirapln approved within 5 days to 3-4 weeks. Passport was issued in two days from oath taking. Cost - Apporx 300 GBP for naturalisation and 70 GBP for passport (premium one week service)

If you believe in giving links to message boards then here is one for you: http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=5575&start=0

I applied for PIO card - costing almost 300 GBP and took 4 weeks (no guarantee at all). OCI I dont even dare to apply. I have all my money / investment in India and pay all taxes there for all the years on interest / dividends / rents and other income. Much more than normal resident Indians - remember only 3% of working indian population pays taxes.

I remember and know even now that in India even for resident Indian citizens passport issuance takes 3 weeks to many months. Passport renewals / duplicate passport etc takes months.

please keep sharing your ignorance and utter disrespect for others on this board. It helps me to have a real good laugh and release some stress.....:) Ignorance is a bliss.....very true.
ok, we have another brit here. I concede that the UK system is pretty good but thats not true here in the US. Also you are forgetting the fact that you waited 4 yrs and paid taxes without any rights to get a UK PR. Sure you may argue thats the way the law is but have you ever questioned the UK govt. on why you have to wait 4 yrs?? You meekly accept a 4 yr delay but rant out against a 4 week delay??
Calculate also your total tax contribution to UK vs. India. Remember to add the sales tax., social security etc. and convert tax paid in pounds to rupees. When you realize how much more you have paid in the UK, come out here and rant such that I can laugh!!

hipka said:
ok, we have another brit here. I concede that the UK system is pretty good but thats not true here in the US. Also you are forgetting the fact that you waited 4 yrs and paid taxes without any rights to get a UK PR. Sure you may argue thats the way the law is but have you ever questioned the UK govt. on why you have to wait 4 yrs?? You meekly accept a 4 yr delay but rant out against a 4 week delay??
Calculate also your total tax contribution to UK vs. India. Remember to add the sales tax., social security etc. and convert tax paid in pounds to rupees. When you realize how much more you have paid in the UK, come out here and rant such that I can laugh!!
Hipka, good to see you are back in your old form after 3+ months! ;) Pity the therapy didn't help :D

Hi Krutika,

Did you get any news regarding the status of your application?

I am also trying to get update about my application. I will post it

as soon I receive them.