India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Important Announcement for OCI Applications filed at SFO Indian Consulate

Guys - There is an approval list on the consulate general of India, SFO website regarding OIC approvals for application filed during 2004/05.

http://www.cgisf.org/

Merced said:
I do not have a PIO card. I applied directly for OCI about 4 weeks ago in Houston.

Thank you and Congratulations! Finally you're out of the loop.

Now that makes me a little concerned about my applicatio. Oh well...

mangal969 said:
Status says 'Granted' in 24 hours ?? Are you sure ??

OH yes! My application reached chicago on the 11 of Jan 2006. They left a message for us on our answering m/c saying we had not indicated the date of Naturalization. On the 12th, we faxed, phoned and emailed them the date.On the 19th of Jan we recieved out receipt. So obviously I checked the status and it says granted on the '14 of Jan' ! We took that to mean that they had looked over all our docs and posted them to India. That's where our honeymoon with Chicago ended.

Now we are quite suspicious about what happened to our application and the fun part is no one will tell you!!

cgi-ny

desi111, mangal,
i made the mistake of following the instruction of the mha application and did not send the extra photos nor notarise the copies ( self attested them). on calling the oci cell -ny, yesterday, asking if i should send the extra photos and send notarised copies, the guy was rather rude and kept saying "we will contact you if required" and "Wait for minimum 1-4 months"
i now regret sending the apllication and probably should have applied for the visa when necessary.

genesis1 said:
desi111, mangal,
i made the mistake of following the instruction of the mha application and did not send the extra photos nor notarise the copies ( self attested them). on calling the oci cell -ny, yesterday, asking if i should send the extra photos and send notarised copies, the guy was rather rude and kept saying "we will contact you if required" and "Wait for minimum 1-4 months"
i now regret sending the apllication and probably should have applied for the visa when necessary.

Just send the photos and notarised documents with a covering letter mentioning your reference number.Send it in such a way that you have confirmation of delivery.

Question on the documents needed to file for the OCI Application

Can some one please let me know the list of documents that needs to be submitted along with the application?

As per the instructions 2 sets of the following:
- Form A (for each family member)
- Form B (1 for the entire family)
- Copy of Citizenship Naturalization certificate (Myself and Spouse)
- Copy of Birth certificate (Kids)
- Copy of US Passport (Myself, Spouse and kids)
- Copy of Indian Passport (Myself and Spouse)
- 5 Pictures (1 each on Form A original & duplicate, and 3 additional pictures)
- $275 per applicant (Plus $15 for mailing passport back for first application + $1 for each additional applicant)

I have the following questions regarding the documents. I would appreciate if some one can please help me.

1. Is there any other document that has to be included?
2. Do I have to get the documents notarized?
3. Do I have to self attest (my signature) the documents?.
4. If the documents are to be notarized, does that mean every single page of the passport copy needs to be notarized?
5. My spouse changed her last name from maiden name to marital name after 8 years. All here previous records, including Indian passport has the maiden name on it. The name change was done during the naturalization. Do I have to send any extra documents to prove that the person on the Indian passport is the same as the person on the US passport?

I tried calling the Chicago consulate several times in the past few days and no one picked up the phone.

Raj

Last edited by a moderator:
Krutika,

I am also going through the same problem. My OCI was granted as per the

online status inquiry on January 11, 2006. However, when I checked the

names of the applicants who had received the OCI registration and U visa

as per the Indian Consulate Chicago webpage, I could not find my name and

instead found the names of people whose OCI was granted (as per the

online status) on February 2006. Also it is very surprising to note that

although there are many people whose OCI (as per the online status inquiry)

was granted in January, 2006, but unfortunately their names are not in the

list. Therefore, I am at a loss and do not know how to get the information

about the status of my application?

OCICHICAGO said:
Krutika,
I am also going through the same problem. My OCI was granted as per the online status inquiry on January 11, 2006. However, when I checked the names of the applicants who had received the OCI registration and U visa as per the Indian Consulate Chicago webpage, I could not find my name and instead found the names of people whose OCI was granted (as per the online status) on February 2006. Also it is very surprising to note that although there are many people whose OCI (as per the online status inquiry)was granted in January, 2006, but unfortunately their names are not in the list. Therefore, I am at a loss and do not know how to get the information about the status of my application?

You should phone the consulate ... and then try delhi.

mangal969 said:
The "New" cities are stuck on the "New" process...so our OCI's will be the "Newest" of all the members :D
The way I understand it works, is that if you apply now to one of the big consulates (US, UK, Aust etc) they will process your OCI locally, and the website will say "Granted". No one works weekends, its all business hours local time. It could say granted within hours or days. There might be some online interaction from Delhi. At this point the paper work is sent to Delhi. It then comes back (printed OCI papers), and you get a call. Mail takes about 2 weeks each way (Diplomatic express aka bullock cart) on average. You get a USAxxxxxxyy number depending on your country.

If you are a 2004 applicant, all processing is done in delhi. You will get a INDHxxxxxxyy number. Problem is that missing data needs to do a full round trip for 2004/05 applicants.

Turn around seems to be 1 month, and "Granted" means little - simply means they intend to grant your OCI eventually.

mangal969 said:
I too am really suspicious.I literally check my status on the MHA website twice a day.I really hope my application isnt lost or something :)

For some of the early applicants (and for small consulates) - they may be using the 2004 process - send processing to delhi. So you may have a IND number and your USA number is void.

I have a program that searches all the File Nos, so if you are interested, this may offer some relief!

r2i_raj said:
I have the following questions regarding the documents. I would appreciate if some one can please help me.

1. Is there any other document that has to be included?
Copies of your indian passport for kids

2. Do I have to get the documents notarized?
Yes

3. Do I have to self attest (my signature) the documents?.
No.But some notaries insist on it.In that case do it.

4. If the documents are to be notarized, does that mean every single page of the passport copy needs to be notarized?
No just the main page (which has name etc) and photo page.

5. My spouse changed her last name from maiden name to marital name after 8 years. All here previous records, including Indian passport has the maiden name on it. The name change was done during the naturalization. Do I have to send any extra documents to prove that the person on the Indian passport is the same as the person on the US passport?
Some proof that she changed her name like marriage certificate

PIO1 said:
For some of the early applicants (and for small consulates) - they may be using the 2004 process - send processing to delhi. So you may have a IND number and your USA number is void.

I have a program that searches all the File Nos, so if you are interested, this may offer some relief!

Possible but improbable.If by some stoke we were being completely processed in India, I think we would have had some response by now :)
And besides Mr Sharma himself has said that he has cleared all the applications pending in front of him.
Maybe I'll get a pleasant surprise to the "granted" state !
:D

mangal969 said:
The "New" cities are stuck on the "New" process...so our OCI's will be the "Newest" of all the members :D

did you miss the "New" year 2007---hahahah :D

mangal i think all this online status is bull shit if it says granted in 24 hrs. They have a bull software which spews out all bull. I think all the papers are processed in the respctve consul---If your or my papers have fallen behind their desk tough luck mate!!!! We will have to wait till next year pongal--Bogie were they burn all the old stuff---and will find our papers behind the table will say s*** thats an OCI app!!!

mangal969 said:
Possible but improbable.If by some stoke we were being completely processed in India, I think we would have had some response by now :)
And besides Mr Sharma himself has said that he has cleared all the applications pending in front of him.
Maybe I'll get a pleasant surprise to the "granted" state !
:D
Mr Sharma was dealing with 2004 "first round" applicants, i.e. series INDH09xxxxyy. There are other people dealing with MHA direct applications INDH00xxxxyy - and they are processing 10-20 per day.

Indian4 said:
did you miss the "New" year 2007---hahahah :D

mangal i think all this online status is bull shit if it says granted in 24 hrs. They have a bull software which spews out all bull. I think all the papers are processed in the respctve consul---If your or my papers have fallen behind their desk tough luck mate!!!! We will have to wait till next year pongal--Bogie were they burn all the old stuff---and will find our papers behind the table will say s*** thats an OCI app!!!

24 hours sounds a bit too early for my liking :)
I guess the only thing we can go is pester them over the phone and e-mails until someone actually replies !
Or threaten withdrawal of the application...maybe that might work

Maybe Krutika and Ocichicago's "granted" status is because of a computer glitch.Maybe you should re-confirm and also confirm that your name also comes up with the granted status

Last edited by a moderator:
OCICHICAGO said:
Krutika,

I am also going through the same problem. My OCI was granted as per the

online status inquiry on January 11, 2006. However, when I checked the

names of the applicants who had received the OCI registration and U visa

as per the Indian Consulate Chicago webpage, I could not find my name and

instead found the names of people whose OCI was granted (as per the

online status) on February 2006. Also it is very surprising to note that

although there are many people whose OCI (as per the online status inquiry)

was granted in January, 2006, but unfortunately their names are not in the

list. Therefore, I am at a loss and do not know how to get the information

about the status of my application?

Wow - Looks like we were in the same batch that may ( or may not) have gone to India.

Last Friday, I called them to check on myappliction. Here is what happened;
========================================
Me : I'm calling to find out the status of my OCI application.

CG :When did you file it?

Me: 13 Jan 2006

CG: Nothing has been received. ( I'm incredulous ...he does not even ask me for my app. number)

Me (??!!) : Can I give you my application number and can you check?

CG: When I am saying nothing has been received - how can you give me the application number and what can I check.

Me: But it says on your website that some apps that were filed in 2006 are complete.

CG: Then you check on the website!! Don't ask me!

Me: I'm asking because ...some apps that were filed after us have been processed.

CG: What can I do - they go to Delhi , we can't do anything ...we just post it..

Me: OK, Thank you Sir.

I addressed him politely calling him Sir after every word and he was quite rude and annoyed ...found myself getting hot and angry and realised this was a test run...have to get used to this attitude if we're moving to India. 10 years in this country can make you too used to pleasant manners...

mangal969 said:
Maybe Krutika and Ocichicago's "granted" status is because of a computet glitch.Maybe you should re-confirm and also confirm that your name also comes up with the granted status

After my phone conversation with some guy in the Chicago consulate, I am now hesitant to call up the chicago consulate and actually give my numbers - what if out of spite they hold up the application and delay it even more ...I'm getting all paranoid.

I would like to call up Kanniyal (sp?) - but feel a little bad ...he's probably got tons of phone calls already ...guess I'll use that as a last resort.