India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
basis said:
people in the uk have started getting 'granted' status within 2 weeks of applying.......

by the way is there any number where oci processing team in india can be contacted

Yes it is true that people in the UK have seen "granted" within 2 weeks of submitting application. But there is no information if and when they will get OCI booklet and U-visa sticker. All attempts to get information from London high commission has failed. They neither reply the phone nor email in this regard. Do you have any news on issuance of booklet/visa sticker?

basis said:
Mangal Pandey - you are absolutely right. I also called Mr Kanyal. Gem of a person. He mentioned the process simply - consulate / FRRO send it to MHA - MHA then forwards to MOIA. The minute it goes to MOIA it is entered in their software and processed. He said very clearly that the apllication does not remain unprocessed with MOIA even for a day. In fact he said it is in minutes that they process it and send the sticker etc to the concerned Mission / FRRO. He is from the OCI cell specially formed. And as you said he is very easy to get and very nice to speak with.

It is nice that there is finally someone we can talk to ! But if the embassies have to just forward it to the MHA then why is it taking them so much time ? For ex my own application is over a month old.And the fact that the online tracking shows they havent received my app shows that my app is still at the embassy.Why would they do that ?
There is obviously some step involved.Otherwise wouldnt we be better off sending it to the MHA direct ? Why submit it to the embassies at all ?

Next time someone calls Mr Kanyal can he/she please get his e-mail address or that of someone from the OCI cell ?
Also someone suggest to him the idea of an OCI acceptance letter so that in 'emergency' situations that letter can be used as a proof of OCI for travel to India (sounds a bit far fetched but can definitely help people like PIO1)

gautam-oci said:
Yes it is true that people in the UK have seen "granted" within 2 weeks of submitting application. But there is no information if and when they will get OCI booklet and U-visa sticker. All attempts to get information from London high commission has failed. They neither reply the phone nor email in this regard. Do you have any news on issuance of booklet/visa sticker?
already few people in the UK have recd the cards and stickers. 2 weeks ago someone received it

mangal969 said:
It is nice that there is finally someone we can talk to ! But if the embassies have to just forward it to the MHA then why is it taking them so much time ? For ex my own application is over a month old.And the fact that the online tracking shows they havent received my app shows that my app is still at the embassy.Why would they do that ?
There is obviously some step involved.Otherwise wouldnt we be better off sending it to the MHA direct ? Why submit it to the embassies at all ?
not according to mr kanyal. he says that one shoudl contact the embassy / consul / frroand chase with them if the applications have been sent to mha / OCI cell.

basis said:
not according to mr kanyal. he says that one shoudl contact the embassy / consul / frroand chase with them if the applications have been sent to mha / OCI cell.

I called the OCI cell at CGINY.The person told me a triage of officers examine and then forward the documents to the MHA themselves.The OCI cell just receives and does a preliminary examination (makes sure all documents are sent,notarised,cash the check etc) and then forwards it to the officers.They have no control,no monitoring and basically no idea what happens after that.From what talk I had with the manager the officers do this at their convinience.

mangal969 said:
I called the OCI cell at CGINY.The person told me a triage of officers examine and then forward the documents to the MHA themselves.The OCI cell just receives and does a preliminary examination (makes sure all documents are sent,notarised,cash the check etc) and then forwards it to the officers.They have no control,no monitoring and basically no idea what happens after that.From what talk I had with the manager the officers do this at their convinience.

The GoI seems to be a mess! When it comes to cashing in the checks they are very prompt ;)

Cginy

NY is asking for two photos...is that a sure thing or they are calling back and saying now we need the third one?

Just readying my app for next week send off..

Thanks !

desi111 said:
NY is asking for two photos...is that a sure thing or they are calling back and saying now we need the third one?

Just readying my app for next week send off..

Thanks !
It's two photos on the application and 3 extras ! ! !
From the FAQ's at www.indiacgny.org:

8. What documents have to be attached with the application?

The following documents shall be enclosed with each application:

(1) Three additional 35 mm x 35 mm size photographs
(2) Proof of citizenship of applicant(s)
(3) Documentary Evidence of self or parents or grand parents [ (a) being eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution of India (on 26th of January, 1950); or (b) belonging to a territory that became part of India after August 15, 1947; ]. The acceptable documents in this regard are :

(i) Notorized copy of the passport (or)
(ii) Copy of the domicile certificate issued by the Competent authority

(4) Evidence of relationship as parent/grand parent, if their Indian origin is claimed as basis for grant of OCI.

(5) Proof of fee payment US$ 275/- for each applicant or equivalent in local currency (US$ 25/- or equivalent in local currency for each PIO card holder).(Receipt issued by CGI, New York in case of applications submitted in person and certified cheques, bankers’ cheques or postal/money order). No personal cheques will be accepted.
(6) PIO card holders must also submit a copy of their PIO card.

gaurav2005 said:
Gautam_oci

Thanks for the suggestion. I sent overnight and they are already delivered to the embassy this morning. :mad:

I was simply following the procedures in the application. As per the application, we need to send the passport after checking the status as "granted" online. Oh, well. I guess I have to include passports in my prayers. :)

Today, I got an email from Houston. My application has been approved and they have asked me to send the US passports for stamping the U visa and Indian passports for verification. My status was updated to 'Granted' on Feb. 5. I applied in Jan. 2006. You should hear something in next couple of weeks.

Hi MAngal even cisco has put a list of 04-05 applicnts to snd their passports for stamping. LOoks like all the embassies have got thr act together except for NYand NZ( wow wot a coincdnce YZ). All other places they have started getting OCI. Out of the 2 amigos which one do u rekon is gonna beat the other?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am now really suspicious about my application. I have applied via CGISF. Reference numbers with much higher serial number than mine have been granted and mine says, not yet registered. Doesn't make any sense and as usual they won't say anything about it even after sending multiple emails.

Is there any option of suing these people?

Merced said:
Today, I got an email from Houston. My application has been approved and they have asked me to send the US passports for stamping the U visa and Indian passports for verification. My status was updated to 'Granted' on Feb. 5. I applied in Jan. 2006. You should hear something in next couple of weeks.

Hi,

Could you please tell me if you're a PIO holder?

I applied to Chicago on Jan 13, 2006, the MHA website says the application was 'granted' on Jan 14, 2006. But the Chicago consulate website states numbers ( for OCI stickers received) for those who applied in 2006 that were 'granted' much much after my date ...so I'm wondering if that's perhaps because these must be PIO holders and hence have a shorter processing time?

I called up the chicago consulate and kindly requested them to check my application status - they curtly told me there was nothing they could do...what I am suspicious about it if they perhaps did not even send the application to India - there's no way to check this since the chicago consulate won't entertain any questions ...

those of you who have received their OCI stickers and applied in 2006 - would you be kind enough to share if you are already PIO holders or applying for the OCI directly?

many thanks!

Krutika said:
Hi,

I applied to Chicago on Jan 13, 2006, the MHA website says the application was 'granted' on Jan 14, 2006. But the Chicago consulate website states numbers ( for OCI stickers received) for those who applied in 2006 that were 'granted' much much after my date ...so I'm wondering if that's perhaps because these must be PIO holders and hence have a shorter processing time?

I called up the chicago consulate and kindly requested them to check my application status - they curtly told me there was nothing they could do...what I am suspicious about it if they perhaps did not even send the application to India - there's no way to check this since the chicago consulate won't entertain any questions ...

those of you who have received their OCI stickers and applied in 2006 - would you be kind enough to share if you are already PIO holders or applying for the OCI directly?

many thanks!

I do not have a PIO card. I applied directly for OCI about 4 weeks ago in Houston.

Merced said:

What week of Jan did you apply in Houston? I applied in the third week of Jan and still waiting for a response. Thanks.

fitness99 said:
What week of Jan did you apply in Houston? I applied in the third week of Jan and still waiting for a response. Thanks.

They received my application on Jan. 18. I got an email after two weeks with refrence number for checking the status online. The OCI was granted on Feb. 5.

Krutika said:
Hi,

Status says 'Granted' in 24 hours ?? Are you sure ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian4 said:
Hi MAngal even cisco has put a list of 04-05 applicnts to snd their passports for stamping. LOoks like all the embassies have got thr act together except for NYand NZ( wow wot a coincdnce YZ). All other places they have started getting OCI. Out of the 2 amigos which one do u rekon is gonna beat the other?

The "New" cities are stuck on the "New" process...so our OCI's will be the "Newest" of all the members :D

romit said:
I am now really suspicious about my application. I have applied via CGISF. Reference numbers with much higher serial number than mine have been granted and mine says, not yet registered. Doesn't make any sense and as usual they won't say anything about it even after sending multiple emails.

Is there any option of suing these people?

I too am really suspicious.I literally check my status on the MHA website twice a day.I really hope my application isnt lost or something :)