India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rajax said:
All
I checked the MHA OCI Online status site today and the status now says
" File Number Yet to Register in Concern (sic) Mission "
(
Last I checked Friday and I got File number does not exit)

Anyone got this? Looks like my application is still in CGISF. Great :D !!
They have updated the site. If they issue an OCI number via the web, the site now says "...yet to register..." instead of the old "...does not exist..."

This article was printed on February 15th

Technology hastens Overseas Citizenship

The Indian government is optimising the use of computer technology to hasten the process of issuing Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) certificates and stickers.
Embassies, high commissions and other authorised offices are expected to decide on each application within ten working days, while the Overseas Indian Affairs ministry in New Delhi would prepare and dispatch the relevant documents within four weeks.The entire process should not take more than six weeks, far less compared to the time taken by some countries to issue citizenship certificates.

As well as simplified forms that are easy-to-understand and complete, the OCI scheme ensures completion of formalities faster than earlier estimates.

Overseas Indians Affairs secretary Krishna Kumar said no major difficulties were being experienced and that the scheme was progressing well.“Issue of OCI certificates and stickers opened officially at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in Hyderabad on January 7 when prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh handed over OCI certificates to two persons of Indian origin.Our ministry began processing applications immediately thereafter and as at the end of January, more than 1,500 OCI certificates have been dispatched to embassies, high commissions and consulates all over the world," he told Indian Newslink from New Delhi last night.

It is understood applications are scrutinised and approved by Indian embassies, high commissions and other authorised offices.These offices are then required to transfer all data of applicants electronically to the Overseas Indian Affairs ministry in New Delhi.

“Special software has been developed for the purpose and a cell has been created within the ministry to exclusively deal with OCI applications," Mr Kumar said.
The information received in connection with each applicant is further processed in the ministry, following the completion of which, OCI certificates and 'U' stickers (to be affixed in passports) are sent by courier to diplomatic missions and offices.Mr Kumar said applicants are neither required to present themselves at the diplomatic missions nor send their passports at the time of applying for OCI.

"Based on the feedback received from our missions abroad and the discussions we have had with the external affairs and other ministries and officials, it was decided not to insist on personal appearance.Since the process takes up to six weeks including the initial period of ten working days for approval at the diplomatic missions, we would not insist on passports being sent along with applications," Mr Kumar said.

While the Indian government is keen to ensure expediency, delays could occur in the event of computer glitches, poor quality photographs or procedural problems.

"The government has spent considerable time and money in formulating the scheme and making it as friendly and as simple as possible. The rules and regulations are easy to understand and comply with," Mr Kumar said.He said the diplomatic missions had sought clarifications on some issues, which were issued on Monday.

Indians who had migrated from India on or after January 26, 1950 would be eligible to apply for OCI. Overseas Citizens can apply for reinstatement of their full citizenship’ including an Indian passport after five years, one year of which should be as a continuous resident in India.The scheme effectively eliminates those who have been citizens of other countries before January 26, 1950 but they could opt for the Person of Indian Origin (PIO) status which accords most privileges available to Non-Resident Indians and overseas citizens.

Rajax said:
All
I checked the MHA OCI Online status site today and the status now says
" File Number Yet to Register in Concern (sic) Mission "
(
Last I checked Friday and I got File number does not exit)

Anyone got this? Looks like my application is still in CGISF. Great :D !!

Mine too. It's been more than a month since I applied and many applications have already been approved with much higher serial numbers than mine.

I am scared.

I just checked, and I get the same message as well. It has changed from file number does not exist. Let's hope that the process is moving forward...

mangal969 said:
This article was printed on February 15th

Technology hastens Overseas Citizenship

The Indian government is optimising the use of computer technology to hasten the process of issuing Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) certificates and stickers.
Embassies, high commissions and other authorised offices are expected to decide on each application within ten working days, while the Overseas Indian Affairs ministry in New Delhi would prepare and dispatch the relevant documents within four weeks.The entire process should not take more than six weeks, far less compared to the time taken by some countries to issue citizenship certificates.

As well as simplified forms that are easy-to-understand and complete, the OCI scheme ensures completion of formalities faster than earlier estimates.

Overseas Indians Affairs secretary Krishna Kumar said no major difficulties were being experienced and that the scheme was progressing well.“Issue of OCI certificates and stickers opened officially at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in Hyderabad on January 7 when prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh handed over OCI certificates to two persons of Indian origin.Our ministry began processing applications immediately thereafter and as at the end of January, more than 1,500 OCI certificates have been dispatched to embassies, high commissions and consulates all over the world," he told Indian Newslink from New Delhi last night.

It is understood applications are scrutinised and approved by Indian embassies, high commissions and other authorised offices.These offices are then required to transfer all data of applicants electronically to the Overseas Indian Affairs ministry in New Delhi.

“Special software has been developed for the purpose and a cell has been created within the ministry to exclusively deal with OCI applications," Mr Kumar said.
The information received in connection with each applicant is further processed in the ministry, following the completion of which, OCI certificates and 'U' stickers (to be affixed in passports) are sent by courier to diplomatic missions and offices.Mr Kumar said applicants are neither required to present themselves at the diplomatic missions nor send their passports at the time of applying for OCI.

"Based on the feedback received from our missions abroad and the discussions we have had with the external affairs and other ministries and officials, it was decided not to insist on personal appearance.Since the process takes up to six weeks including the initial period of ten working days for approval at the diplomatic missions, we would not insist on passports being sent along with applications," Mr Kumar said.

While the Indian government is keen to ensure expediency, delays could occur in the event of computer glitches, poor quality photographs or procedural problems.

"The government has spent considerable time and money in formulating the scheme and making it as friendly and as simple as possible. The rules and regulations are easy to understand and comply with," Mr Kumar said.He said the diplomatic missions had sought clarifications on some issues, which were issued on Monday.

Indians who had migrated from India on or after January 26, 1950 would be eligible to apply for OCI. Overseas Citizens can apply for reinstatement of their full citizenship’ including an Indian passport after five years, one year of which should be as a continuous resident in India.The scheme effectively eliminates those who have been citizens of other countries before January 26, 1950 but they could opt for the Person of Indian Origin (PIO) status which accords most privileges available to Non-Resident Indians and overseas citizens.
Where did you see this article? Can you please post the direct link?

Extra Photos at Houston

Hi,

I got an email from Houston Embasy that they need 3 additional photos. I initially submitted 3 additional photos apart from pasting 2 photos on applications (I followed the guidelines on the Houston Website). I am really confused why they are requesting this? Does any one have the same experience?

Looks like now my application is going to sit in the sideliness till they get my additional photos.. :confused:

ATLVAS said:
Hi,

I got an email from Houston Embasy that they need 3 additional photos. I initially submitted 3 additional photos apart from pasting 2 photos on applications (I followed the guidelines on the Houston Website). I am really confused why they are requesting this? Does any one have the same experience?

Looks like now my application is going to sit in the sideliness till they get my additional photos.. :confused:

Looks like every embassy have their own set of rules which changes from time to time refer London it says 8 photos in total. Refer NEw Zealand it says 3 additional photos and 2 on the application(I guess thats wot u did)

Well if they want another 3 more just give them that so that they won't have any reason to hold on to your app. Also ask them if their is any further deficiency in your app which can be cured now. This way they wont come back after a month on something else.

Indian4 said:
Looks like every embassy have their own set of rules which changes from time to time refer London it says 8 photos in total. Refer NEw Zealand it says 3 additional photos and 2 on the application(I guess thats wot u did)

Well if they want another 3 more just give them that so that they won't have any reason to hold on to your app. Also ask them if their is any further deficiency in your app which can be cured now. This way they wont come back after a month on something else.

Most likely your 3 photos were misplaced from your application once they received it...

I would recommend writing your name and reference number on the back of all the pictures before you send them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens if you move?

At least it is a good thing for Chicago folks that they are publishing your names, so you know when to send your passport. But in CGISF, there is no such thing.

What happens if you move while the OCI app is pending. what's the procedure to let them know about it? I sent an email to CGISF today about it. I will let you all know when the reply comes.

Did anybody receive anything from CGISF yet? if you do, please let me know how they communicated with you. Is it by email or snail mail?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav2005
I applied mid Jan 2006 for the OCI application at Houston CGI. I checked my status today and it shows as granted and the granted date was 18th Feb. This means the GoI is working overtime in the weekends on our OCI application. ) You guys have to give some credit to GoI.

Anyway, I will probably send our passports tomarrow for the OCI sticker. Not sure how much time that will take.

Seeing "Granted on 18th Feb" does not mean that you'll get OCI cards/ Visa sticker immediately. Please check with your consulate when will they receive the card/sticker from India before you send your passport or visit them for personal collection. I guess it could be anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks.

Good luck

gautam_oci

thanks for the feedback. I tried desperately this morning to check this thread to get information but could not get into the website. At noon, I sent the passports by FEDEX. Hope CGI-Houston will keep them safe until they get the certificates and stickers from NewDelhi.

The Global Organization of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO), the foremost body of overseas Indians which has fought for their rights since its formation in 1989, has welcomed the decision of the government of India to do away higher tariffs for NRIs visiting India.

Till now, the NRI visitors have been paying more to hotels, airlines and even while visiting museums and historical monuments.

GOPIO, which had fought for dual citizenship and PIO cards for overseas Indians, has been asking for "equal treatment" for NRIs on these matters: air fares, hotel tariffs, and entry fee for historical monuments.

According to GOPIO president Inder Singh, higher tariffs were an act of outright discrimination against NRIs.

"And there was no reason to continue with this dual policy when the government of India has granted dual citizenship to us," said Singh, "Even at our last conference in Hyderabad in January, we had passed a resolution seeking abolition of higher tariffs on overseas Indians."

"Our resolution had said that it is a poor policy to differentiate between the citizens of India and NRIs/PIOs for the same entrance ticket to the archeological sites such as the Taj Mahal," Singh continued, "We have the same commitment as native Indians for the progress of India. It is good thinking on the part of the Indian government that they have decided to stop this discriminatory practice."

According to him, GOPIO representatives had met the then Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs, Oscar Fernandes, and Secretary, Krishna Kumar, during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas meeting to give a copy of the resolution.

"I met Fernandes and spoke to him on the resolution. Our resolution committee chairman Piyush Agrawal too met Prithviraj Chavan, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) on this issue,'' Singh said.

The GOPIO president was happy to note that the government of India not only acted promptly but also went a step further by doing away with this practice for all foreign visitors whether they are of Indian origin or not.

"India was one of the few countries in the globalised world which was following this outdated policy of charging more from foreign visitors for things like attending a conference or visiting the Taj Mahal," Singh added.

gaurav2005 said:
Quote:
I applied mid Jan 2006 for the OCI application at Houston CGI. I checked my status today and it shows as granted and the granted date was 18th Feb. This means the GoI is working overtime in the weekends on our OCI application. ) You guys have to give some credit to GoI.

Anyway, I will probably send our passports tomarrow for the OCI sticker. Not sure how much time that will take.

Seeing "Granted on 18th Feb" does not mean that you'll get OCI cards/ Visa sticker immediately. Please check with your consulate when will they receive the card/sticker from India before you send your passport or visit them for personal collection. I guess it could be anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks.

Good luck

gautam_oci

thanks for the feedback. I tried desperately this morning to check this thread to get information but could not get into the website. At noon, I sent the passports by FEDEX. Hope CGI-Houston will keep them safe until they get the certificates and stickers from NewDelhi.

You took a bit of a chance here...

fitness99 said:
Most likely your 3 photos were misplaced from your application once they received it...

I would recommend writing your name and reference number on the back of all the pictures before you send them.
Better yet do what i did...put them in a small envelope write your reference no on top of the envelope,seal it and attach that to the form (in your case the covering letter).That way all the photos are safe.

mangal969 said:
The Global Organization of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO), the foremost body of overseas Indians which has fought for their rights since its formation in 1989, has welcomed the decision of the government of India to do away higher tariffs for NRIs visiting India.

Till now, the NRI visitors have been paying more to hotels, airlines and even while visiting museums and historical monuments.

GOPIO, which had fought for dual citizenship and PIO cards for overseas Indians, has been asking for "equal treatment" for NRIs on these matters: air fares, hotel tariffs, and entry fee for historical monuments.

According to GOPIO president Inder Singh, higher tariffs were an act of outright discrimination against NRIs.

"And there was no reason to continue with this dual policy when the government of India has granted dual citizenship to us," said Singh, "Even at our last conference in Hyderabad in January, we had passed a resolution seeking abolition of higher tariffs on overseas Indians."

"Our resolution had said that it is a poor policy to differentiate between the citizens of India and NRIs/PIOs for the same entrance ticket to the archeological sites such as the Taj Mahal," Singh continued, "We have the same commitment as native Indians for the progress of India. It is good thinking on the part of the Indian government that they have decided to stop this discriminatory practice."

According to him, GOPIO representatives had met the then Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs, Oscar Fernandes, and Secretary, Krishna Kumar, during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas meeting to give a copy of the resolution.

"I met Fernandes and spoke to him on the resolution. Our resolution committee chairman Piyush Agrawal too met Prithviraj Chavan, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) on this issue,'' Singh said.

The GOPIO president was happy to note that the government of India not only acted promptly but also went a step further by doing away with this practice for all foreign visitors whether they are of Indian origin or not.

"India was one of the few countries in the globalised world which was following this outdated policy of charging more from foreign visitors for things like attending a conference or visiting the Taj Mahal," Singh added.

Great Mangal - where did you get this from ? Can you give the weblink please. I think we need to get the Form C, NRI education fees, immovable properties and such other requirements removed for PIO / OCI.

PIO1 said:
They have updated the site. If they issue an OCI number via the web, the site now says "...yet to register..." instead of the old "...does not exist..."

Correct. The moment you hit the save button online - it generates a number. And if you put that number at the same instance the status is shown as 'File Number Yet to Register in Concern Mission '. They are just trying to say that either the application is not recd by the mission / FRRO OR not processed by mission / FRRO.

To save the form from online registration - one can do following. If you have pdf generators already loaded on your machine good otherwise download pdf generators from pdf999.com or similar sites (these are freewares).

When you hit save icon - while printing choose pdf printer e.g. pdf999 printer and it will save a pdf copy of the application on your machine. Then you can print it when you like and have a saved pdf copy of the application in your pc.

gaurav2005 said:
Quote:

Good luck

gautam_oci

gaurav2005 said:
Quote:

Good luck

gautam_oci

Gaurav

Just a suggestion. See if you can get Fedex to hold delivery or return the docs to you. If there is a delay from India in despatching the oci/sticker then there is a small risk that CGI-Houston may misplace your documents.

good luck

I applied in 2004. I have now sent information 3 times. They have 7 of my photos, 8 copies of my passport and now people who applied last week are getting an OCI. I can assure them that each of my application is complete and faultless. My status is not even "Under Process" ... great they are acting quickly for some cases, but there seems to be lots of inconsistencies. I think I have a bad "case officier" or something... 5 weeks to go till my flight.

Last edited by a moderator: