India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
qwert97 said:
Mangal the document is signed by an Indian ofifical and the place of issue is New delhi. The signatures on U visa and OCI card are of the same person.

So from what you and mangal pandey have said we can conclude that all 2004 applications were really approved by MHA in New Delhi while the 2005 applications (November onwards) are signed at the local embassy.

Cool.

mangal969 said:
So from what you and mangal pandey have said we can conclude that all 2004 applications were really approved by MHA in New Delhi while the 2005 applications (November onwards) are signed at the local embassy.

Cool.

Interesting....does this mean people applied on or after Nov 2005 can't check status on the MHA website?

I have kept my original comments as plain text, your replies as bold and my comments to your replies in 'navy'. OCI is just PIO version X - not much difference. You can hope things will change in future but as of now you would be a second string resident in India.

boggavarapu said:
Originally Posted by basis
boggavarapu - This is a question which continues to be in everyone's mind. Here are a few things which either one cant do or need special permission of RBI etc.

- Missionary, mountaineering and research activity

PIO Card holder has this limitation. I didn't think OCI Card holder too? -

Yes they have such limitation. Look at http://mha.nic.in/oci-chart.pdf

- Visiting PAP / RAP areas

Yes - Applies to both PIO & OCI Card holders

- Investment as a resident is a grey area - no one knows for sure whether you remain an NRI or become resident Indian

I think OCI should certainly find it very easy for investment and business when compared to PIO Card holder!!

That's our wishlist. I have asked this question on forums including this and no one has been able to answer that (with experience or source of authenticate info). I have asked this to bankers and brokers from India. No one knows for sure. I 'think / should be' etc are of no use.

- If you stay in hotels etc you need to fill in foreigner's registration form C (somewhere I saw some material on web that you dont have to do this as an OCI - but not sure

I am sure this will not apply to OCI Card holder!!

Again I would rather have it somewhere mentioned expliclty e.g. mha site. The hotels in India if not aware will make you fill that form

- Agricultural property

Yes - applies to both PIO and OCI Card holders.

- Any immovable property (need to file a form with RBI)

I don't think this will apply to OCI!!

Yes this will apply to OCI. Why do you think PIO and OCI are different. Again have a look at MHA site - it clearly tells the difference between the two - its only the lenght of visa, registration and regaining full Indian citizenship which are different than PIO.

- Some restriction on acquiring / selling immovable properties (e.g cant sell / buy from another NRI

Not sure about this ?

Read RBI guidelines for this. Keep in mind you still are not Indian citizens with OCI.

- No ration card (again I am not very sure)

I think OCI should be able to get one while residing in India?

On what basis

- Admission to schools / colleges for kids - not sure whether one can use general category or has to use expensive NRI quota

This will definitely further clarification from GOI

- Higher charges in hotel (though not by law but by practice)

We need to monitor on this

How ?

- No clarity on insurance, LIC, PPF, postal and so on schemes

Time will tell us on these matters!

Thanks. Would welcome any other comments.

I am sure mangal and other esteemed members can throw some light on this. But we need really people who are in India on PIO card to tell us their experience (legal - becoz in India generally the attitude is no one bothers to implement - but we need to know the true legal position) and also the daily life experience.

All in all things will be never the same again. I would suggest people who have not lost their Indian nationality to think many times before they do so by acquiring other nationality if they are gonna R2I anytime.

And remember I have not even looked at the social, moral challenges to stay there on PIO / OCI. e.g. Is there a moral lecture given every time in social meetings / gatherings, are they treated with difference(suspicion), do the people face problems at work places, do the kids face problems in schools or any other issues / challenges. And what could be done to minimise them.

And also how do the PIOs of Foreign Nationality feel themselves. Is there a constant feeling of guilt, lower morale etc.

So all in all - I dont see any point in loosing Indian nationality - the times have changed.

fitness99 said:
Interesting....does this mean people applied on or after Nov 2005 can't check status on the MHA website?

They can check the status. If you look at the messages on this board it is very clear people have been able to check the status on line who have posted the applications post Nov 2005.

basis said:
I have kept my original comments as plain text, your replies as bold and my comments to your replies in 'navy'. OCI is just PIO version X - not much difference. You can hope things will change in future but as of now you would be a second string resident in India.

Basis,

Thanks a lot for the info. and clarification.

basis said:
They can check the status. If you look at the messages on this board it is very clear people have been able to check the status on line who have posted the applications post Nov 2005.
There are about 1200+ applicants from 2004/05 who are on the system "INDHxxxx". I am not there probably because there were too many things missing from my original application.

HIGH COMMISSION OF INDIA wlngton NEW ZEALAND

Anyone in this forum who applied for OCI through HCI WELLINGTON NEW ZEALAND??

atlantathrasher said:
this is what is put up on the website of the Indian embassy, wellington, NZ
APPLICATIONS ABOUT OCI WILL BE ACCEPTED IN HCI WELLINGTON. AS PER NEW GUIDELINES, OCI APPLICATIONS WILL BE PROCESSED AND OCI CERTIFICATES WILL BE ISSUED FROM INDIA. HIGH COMMISSION OF INDIA WELLINGTON WILL THEREFORE, NOT BE IN A POSITION TO INDICATE TIME FRAME FOR GRANT OF OCI CERTIFICATES. APPLICANTS ARE ADVISED TO PLAN THEIR TRAVEL ACCORDINGLY.

I thought the applications are processed in the embassies and not in India!!!!

Hi there I applied for OCI mid JAn 06 WLgntn NZ. Did you apply OCI through HCI WLGTN NZ? If yes did you get any acknowledgement with file number etc? Any progress of your application?? Any latest news??

OCI granted

I applied mid Jan 2006 for the OCI application at Houston CGI. I checked my status today and it shows as granted and the granted date was 18th Feb. This means the GoI is working overtime in the weekends on our OCI application. :)) You guys have to give some credit to GoI.

Anyway, I will probably send our passports tomarrow for the OCI sticker. Not sure how much time that will take.

Congrats but please hold

gaurav2005 said:
I applied mid Jan 2006 for the OCI application at Houston CGI. I checked my status today and it shows as granted and the granted date was 18th Feb. This means the GoI is working overtime in the weekends on our OCI application. :)) You guys have to give some credit to GoI.

Anyway, I will probably send our passports tomarrow for the OCI sticker. Not sure how much time that will take.

Seeing "Granted on 18th Feb" does not mean that you'll get OCI cards/ Visa sticker immediately. Please check with your consulate when will they receive the card/sticker from India before you send your passport or visit them for personal collection. I guess it could be anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks.

Good luck

mangal969 said:
I read basis mail and boggavarapu's response.Some points :
1.OCI's do not have to fill out Form C.None of the Foreigner's rules barring 5,9 and 15 apply to OCI's.Form C is rule 14.I dont know exactly what 5 9 and 15 are.

Mangal - Are we sure. Because I had posted that info for the first time but was not sure whether the law was actualy passed.

2.For the hotel charges i think there has been a circular discouraging this.But to avoid this get an Indian drivers license next time you go (or get your expired one renewed)and pay in Indian rupees :)

I did not get how driver's license will be useful here. I have Indian driver's license with me.

qwert97,barring your first trip if it is in the first half of 2006,that PIO/OCI line is not going to be that short anymore :).

Actually recently when I travelled to India via Mumbai there was a board for PIO but no one was in the queue and no one was attending to it as well. I was asked to stand in the non-Indian passport queue. May be it was only coincidence.

boggavarapu said:
Basis,

Thanks a lot for the info. and clarification.

Most welcome ! I think time has come we either have separate thread for the Post OCI syndromes :) People have rushed into PIO and OCI alongwith govts. Those who want to use them as glorious visits visas would be quite happy with it. But those who actually want to return to India would have to face the saga for a long long time to come. Specially so many grey areas being there.

boggavarapu said:
boggavarapu - This is a question which continues to be in everyone's mind. Here are a few things which either one cant do or need special permission of RBI etc.

- Missionary, mountaineering and research activity

PIO Card holder has this limitation. I didn't think OCI Card holder too? -

Yes they have such limitation. Look at http://mha.nic.in/oci-chart.pdf

- Visiting PAP / RAP areas

Yes - Applies to both PIO & OCI Card holders

- Investment as a resident is a grey area - no one knows for sure whether you remain an NRI or become resident Indian

I think OCI should certainly find it very easy for investment and business when compared to PIO Card holder!!

That's our wishlist. I have asked this question on forums including this and no one has been able to answer that (with experience or source of authenticate info). I have asked this to bankers and brokers from India. No one knows for sure. I 'think / should be' etc are of no use.

- If you stay in hotels etc you need to fill in foreigner's registration form C (somewhere I saw some material on web that you dont have to do this as an OCI - but not sure

I am sure this will not apply to OCI Card holder!!

Again I would rather have it somewhere mentioned expliclty e.g. mha site. The hotels in India if not aware will make you fill that form

- Agricultural property

Yes - applies to both PIO and OCI Card holders.

- Any immovable property (need to file a form with RBI)

I don't think this will apply to OCI!!

Yes this will apply to OCI. Why do you think PIO and OCI are different. Again have a look at MHA site - it clearly tells the difference between the two - its only the lenght of visa, registration and regaining full Indian citizenship which are different than PIO.

- Some restriction on acquiring / selling immovable properties (e.g cant sell / buy from another NRI

Not sure about this ?

Read RBI guidelines for this. Keep in mind you still are not Indian citizens with OCI.

- No ration card (again I am not very sure)

I think OCI should be able to get one while residing in India?

On what basis

- Admission to schools / colleges for kids - not sure whether one can use general category or has to use expensive NRI quota

This will definitely further clarification from GOI

- Higher charges in hotel (though not by law but by practice)

We need to monitor on this

How ?

- No clarity on insurance, LIC, PPF, postal and so on schemes

Time will tell us on these matters!

Thanks. Would welcome any other comments.

I am sure mangal and other esteemed members can throw some light on this. But we need really people who are in India on PIO card to tell us their experience (legal - becoz in India generally the attitude is no one bothers to implement - but we need to know the true legal position) and also the daily life experience.

All in all things will be never the same again. I would suggest people who have not lost their Indian nationality to think many times before they do so by acquiring other nationality if they are gonna R2I anytime.

And remember I have not even looked at the social, moral challenges to stay there on PIO / OCI. e.g. Is there a moral lecture given every time in social meetings / gatherings, are they treated with difference(suspicion), do the people face problems at work places, do the kids face problems in schools or any other issues / challenges. And what could be done to minimise them.

And also how do the PIOs of Foreign Nationality feel themselves. Is there a constant feeling of guilt, lower morale etc.

So all in all - I dont see any point in loosing Indian nationality - the times have changed.

FRO Rules

came across following two rules as per FRO -

8. Residential Permit : Every foreigner who enters India on the authority of a visa issued in pursuance of the Indian Passport Act 1920, shall obtain residential permit from the Foreigner Registration Officer having jurisdiction at that place, a registration report indicating the period during which he is authorized to say in India and place or places for stay specified in the visa.

- What's this? Do you need it in addition to PIO card.

12. Report to be made to and by Hotel Keeper : If any foreigner is staying in a hotel/ guest house, the keeper has to submit a copy of the C form, duly filled, with the information furnished by the foreigner in respect of his passport visa, nationality etc as soon as may be, but not later than 24 hrs. of the arrival of the foreigner , to the FRO. If any foreigner is staying with his relatives, it is the duty of that person to give a report to the nearest police station or the FRO with full particulars of the foreigner. Non compliance of these instructions/ rules are punishable under section 5 of Registration of Foreigner Act, 1939. Under this provision, Indian citizens are liable for a fine up to Rupees 500 and foreigners are liable for imprisonment up to one year and fine up to Rupees 1000 or both.

- If I go and stay with my folks in India - do they have to go and report this to the police

basis said:

8. Residential Permit : Every foreigner who enters India on the authority of a visa issued in pursuance of the Indian Passport Act 1920, shall obtain residential permit from the Foreigner Registration Officer having jurisdiction at that place, a registration report indicating the period during which he is authorized to say in India and place or places for stay specified in the visa.

12. Report to be made to and by Hotel Keeper : If any foreigner is staying in a hotel/ guest house, the keeper has to submit a copy of the C form, duly filled, with the information furnished by the foreigner in respect of his passport visa, nationality etc as soon as may be, but not later than 24 hrs. of the arrival of the foreigner , to the FRO. If any foreigner is staying with his relatives, it is the duty of that person to give a report to the nearest police station or the FRO with full particulars of the foreigner. Non compliance of these instructions/ rules are punishable under section 5 of Registration of Foreigner Act, 1939. Under this provision, Indian citizens are liable for a fine up to Rupees 500 and foreigners are liable for imprisonment up to one year and fine up to Rupees 1000 or both.

- If I go and stay with my folks in India - do they have to go and report this to the police
Relax guys! If you start quoting the rules and try to split them up under microscope, you could spend the rest of your life doing nothing. Who is going to enforce these??? Use your common sense. Don't you understand the ground realities?

basis said:

When you go register at the FRRO you get a registration/residential permit.You do need this if you are going to stay more than 6 months.

About the information of residence thing i would not worry much about it.The cops dont enforce it strictly.They say the FRRO registration is enough.

All
I checked the MHA OCI Online status site today and the status now says
" File Number Yet to Register in Concern (sic) Mission "
(
Last I checked Friday and I got File number does not exit)

Anyone got this? Looks like my application is still in CGISF. Great :D !!

Rajax said:
All
I checked the MHA OCI Online status site today and the status now says
" File Number Yet to Register in Concern (sic) Mission "
(
Last I checked Friday and I got File number does not exit)

Anyone got this? Looks like my application is still in CGISF. Great :D !!

They seemed to have made this change for all applicants.
Either it means that they did the processing in India and are now only waiting for the consulates to send the form (Not likely) or they just changed the languauge so that File does not exist really means that file does not exist and File Number Yet....means they are atleast acknowledging the receipt of Part A.

Newbie here - help!

Hi all,
I am planning a trip to India at the end of October. I have to get an Indian visa for the visit, both for myself (non-US), and my daughter (US-born). I was wondering if you could help me get the answers to some questions.

- Do you think we can get OCI approval and stamp by October from the NY embassy (I would have thought 7 months is more than enough, but you never know - I can't find anyone I know who has actually got one yet!)? My brother got his PIO card within 3 months, so is that a better option?

- If for some reason the OCI approval does not come through within that timeframe, can I put in a new application for a regular visit visa at the NY consulate?

- Do regular US sized passport photographs work? The website says send 3.5 X 3.5 cms - where do I get those sizes? Do they accept digital photos?

- The Washington embassy site says to send in 5 photos each, but the NY consulate website only says one photo per copy of applicatoin (2 each)? Am I missing something?

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated!
Thanks,
DG

DesiG said:
Hi all,
I am planning a trip to India at the end of October. I have to get an Indian visa for the visit, both for myself (non-US), and my daughter (US-born). I was wondering if you could help me get the answers to some questions.

- Do you think we can get OCI approval and stamp by October from the NY embassy (I would have thought 7 months is more than enough, but you never know - I can't find anyone I know who has actually got one yet!)? My brother got his PIO card within 3 months, so is that a better option?
OCI is a better option than PIO except unless your daughter is below 18.For her PIO may be better.October is far away time is not an issue for you.

- If for some reason the OCI approval does not come through within that timeframe, can I put in a new application for a regular visit visa at the NY consulate?
Yes
- Do regular US sized passport photographs work? The website says send 3.5 X 3.5 cms - where do I get those sizes? Do they accept digital photos?
As long as it's roughly that size and the face is clear it's ok.I had mine done at the Eckerds with pics taken from my digital cam
- The Washington embassy site says to send in 5 photos each, but the NY consulate website only says one photo per copy of applicatoin (2 each)? Am I missing something?
The NY embassy page mentions about the extra photos in the FAQ's

Super fast OCIs

I put my updated forms in on wednesday, and noted that a friend who put their new forms in on the same day, has the site saying "granted" today (Monday). That's 3 working days! (He has not got the card yet though).

Anyway I am now upto my 15th month. I wish they would just scrap the application and start anew.