India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
qwert97 said:
Finally got a call from Toronto Consulate this morning that the OCI card is ready. Went to the Consulate this afternoon and I was in and out of the Consulate's office in 30 minutes with a big smile after getting the U Visa and OCI card. The OCI card and U visa are issued in Delhi and are dated 24th Jan 2006. So the wait is finally over. I had applied for OCI in Dec 2004

I hope everyone who had applied for OCI gets it soon.

:) :)
Well done qwert!!! It has been a long wait. So it took 3 weeks+ for the card to come to you after it got issued. I have sent my papers in again, and they still have yet to issue it.

OCI query

I am planning to file OCI for my wife and daughter who are both US born. I am still a indian citizen. I have a few questions.

- I can file for my daughter based on my indian citizenship, Can I do the same for my wife?? (Or she has to file based on her dad's past indian citizenship??]

- I will file from NYC. When I submit the application, do I have to submit their passports as well for the duration until the OCI is issued?

Kindly let me know if anybody has experience with this.

Thanks - futcitizen

COngrats Qwert

qwert97 said:
Finally got a call from Toronto Consulate this morning that the OCI card is ready. Went to the Consulate this afternoon and I was in and out of the Consulate's office in 30 minutes with a big smile after getting the U Visa and OCI card. The OCI card and U visa are issued in Delhi and are dated 24th Jan 2006. So the wait is finally over. I had applied for OCI in Dec 2004

I hope everyone who had applied for OCI gets it soon.

:) :)

Very happy to see you with ur OCI. DO drop in few lines in this forum whenever you have time or else we will miss u :D

futcitizen said:
I am planning to file OCI for my wife and daughter who are both US born. I am still a indian citizen. I have a few questions.

- I can file for my daughter based on my indian citizenship, Can I do the same for my wife?? (Or she has to file based on her dad's past indian citizenship??]

- I will file from NYC. When I submit the application, do I have to submit their passports as well for the duration until the OCI is issued?

Kindly let me know if anybody has experience with this.

Thanks - futcitizen

Your wife should apply based on her dad's indian citizenship. Do not send in any passport with the application. Send nototrized copy of the first and last pages of the passports for everybody. Consulate will inform you to send the passports for putting the visa when your application has been approved.

OCI Cards for 2006 Applicants (Chicago Consulate)

Chicago has now displayed names of 2006 OCI Applicants informing that their cards and stickers are ready for collection.

Merced said:
Your wife should apply based on her dad's indian citizenship. Do not send in any passport with the application. Send nototrized copy of the first and last pages of the passports for everybody. Consulate will inform you to send the passports for putting the visa when your application has been approved.

I believe for US passports, a copy of the first two pages notarized is enough.

boggavarapu said:
Chicago has now displayed names of 2006 OCI Applicants informing that their cards and stickers are ready for collection.

Wow...Chicago consulate seems to get their act straight! I wonder when Houston is going to catch up....

Thanks guys for the good wishes.

For those guys who have applied from Toronto, a good news for you. I saw about two bundles of OCI that they are sitting on. They are just overwhelmed with the applications and they are having a difficult time receiving the applications as well as handing the cards out since they personally call each applicant.

Last edited by a moderator:
futcitizen said:

No.She has to file on her family basis.There is no eligibility through Spouse
No way.

Thanks - futcitizen

qwert97 said:
Thanks guys for the good wishes.

For those guys who have applied from Toronto, a good news for you. I saw about two bundles of OCI that they are sitting on. They are just overwhelmed with the applications and they are having a difficult time receiving the applications as well as handing the cards out since they personally call each applicant.

Hey QWERT97 Congratulations on getting your OCI card ! Your preseverence had paid you 'rich' dividends.I am very happy for you.
Now let us know of youe experience when you use it for the first time at an Indian airport ! :D

akkcausa said:
Just spoke to the OCI in charge lady at CGI SFO. They are (as usual?) last in the action but she assured that they will be notifying people and issuing OCI cards in the next 1-2 weeks by either posting names on website or sending letter.

I think NY is the slowest.They have the highest no of backlog both in terms of receiving applications as well as approving them.
Lets race to see who releases the first batch of 2004 and 2005 applicants.....Everybody place your bets as to which consulate of these two will issue OCI cards first SF or NY ?

OCI Privileges while living in India

Apart from voting rights, political positions and Govt. employment - is there anything else that OCI is not eligible for (while living in India) that a full Indian Citizen will be eligible for? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

boggavarapu said:
Apart from voting rights, political positions and Govt. employment - is there anything else that OCI is not eligible for (while living in India) that a full Indian Citizen will be eligible for? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

boggavarapu - This is a question which continues to be in everyone's mind. Here are a few things which either one cant do or need special permission of RBI etc.

- Missionary, mountaineering and research activity
- Visiting PAP / RAP areas
- Investment as a resident is a grey area - no one knows for sure whether you remain an NRI or become resident Indian
- If you stay in hotels etc you need to fill in foreigner's registration form C (somewhere I saw some material on web that you dont have to do this as an OCI - but not sure
- Agricultural property
- Any immovable property (need to file a form with RBI)
- Some restriction on acquiring / selling immovable properties (e.g cant sell / buy from another NRI
- No ration card (again I am not very sure)
- Admission to schools / colleges for kids - not sure whether one can use general category or has to use expensive NRI quota
- Higher charges in hotel (though not by law but by practice)
- No clarity on insurance, LIC, PPF, postal and so on schemes

I am sure mangal and other esteemed members can throw some light on this. But we need really people who are in India on PIO card to tell us their experience (legal - becoz in India generally the attitude is no one bothers to implement - but we need to know the true legal position) and also the daily life experience.

All in all things will be never the same again. I would suggest people who have not lost their Indian nationality to think many times before they do so by acquiring other nationality if they are gonna R2I anytime.

And remember I have not even looked at the social, moral challenges to stay there on PIO / OCI. e.g. Is there a moral lecture given every time in social meetings / gatherings, are they treated with difference(suspicion), do the people face problems at work places, do the kids face problems in schools or any other issues / challenges. And what could be done to minimise them.

And also how do the PIOs of Foreign Nationality feel themselves. Is there a constant feeling of guilt, lower morale etc.

So all in all - I dont see any point in loosing Indian nationality - the times have changed.

basis said:
boggavarapu - This is a question which continues to be in everyone's mind. Here are a few things which either one cant do or need special permission of RBI etc.

- Missionary, mountaineering and research activity

PIO Card holder has this limitation. I didn't think OCI Card holder too?

- Visiting PAP / RAP areas

Yes - Applies to both PIO & OCI Card holders

- Investment as a resident is a grey area - no one knows for sure whether you remain an NRI or become resident Indian

I think OCI should certainly find it very easy for investment and business when compared to PIO Card holder!!

- If you stay in hotels etc you need to fill in foreigner's registration form C (somewhere I saw some material on web that you dont have to do this as an OCI - but not sure

I am sure this will not apply to OCI Card holder!!

- Agricultural property

Yes - applies to both PIO and OCI Card holders.

- Any immovable property (need to file a form with RBI)

I don't think this will apply to OCI!!

- Some restriction on acquiring / selling immovable properties (e.g cant sell / buy from another NRI

Not sure about this ?

- No ration card (again I am not very sure)

I think OCI should be able to get one while residing in India?

- Admission to schools / colleges for kids - not sure whether one can use general category or has to use expensive NRI quota

This will definitely further clarification from GOI

- Higher charges in hotel (though not by law but by practice)

We need to monitor on this

- No clarity on insurance, LIC, PPF, postal and so on schemes

Time will tell us on these matters!

Thanks. Would welcome any other comments.

I am sure mangal and other esteemed members can throw some light on this. But we need really people who are in India on PIO card to tell us their experience (legal - becoz in India generally the attitude is no one bothers to implement - but we need to know the true legal position) and also the daily life experience.

All in all things will be never the same again. I would suggest people who have not lost their Indian nationality to think many times before they do so by acquiring other nationality if they are gonna R2I anytime.

And remember I have not even looked at the social, moral challenges to stay there on PIO / OCI. e.g. Is there a moral lecture given every time in social meetings / gatherings, are they treated with difference(suspicion), do the people face problems at work places, do the kids face problems in schools or any other issues / challenges. And what could be done to minimise them.

And also how do the PIOs of Foreign Nationality feel themselves. Is there a constant feeling of guilt, lower morale etc.

So all in all - I dont see any point in loosing Indian nationality - the times have changed.

One of the soft benefits that I see is that when you visit India, for immigration you do not stand in the line marked 'foreigners' and you do not get to stand in the line designated for Indian Nationals. For Immigration you need to stand in the line for PIO's which is much shorter than the other two lines. For me that will be a pride in itself and that makes me closer to India.

From personal experience once you get the card you tend to forget all the pains that we had to go through to get to OCI status. I feel more Indian and more closer to the motherland. One feels more relieved that that he/she can visit India whenever you want without going through the painful experience at the local consulates/embassies. To me it was a bit sentimental experience as well since my roots are in India.

qwert97 said:
One of the soft benefits that I see is that when you visit India, for immigration you do not stand in the line marked 'foreigners' and you do not get to stand in the line designated for Indian Nationals. For Immigration you need to stand in the line for PIO's which is much shorter than the other two lines. For me that will be a pride in itself and that makes me closer to India.

From personal experience once you get the card you tend to forget all the pains that we had to go through to get to OCI status. I feel more Indian and more closer to the motherland. One feels more relieved that that he/she can visit India whenever you want without going through the painful experience at the local consulates/embassies. To me it was a bit sentimental experience as well since my roots are in India.

Sounds really good. The feeling is mutual.

It is interesting to learn that there is a separate line for PIO/OCI.
Although I got my PIO Card in 1999, I have never been to India
since then!!

I do plan to visit India in the near future (probably soon after getting my OCI Card).

Qwert97 - Would you recommend to collect OCI Card/Sticker in person rather than mailing the foreign Passport to the Consulate? If so - what would be your reasons? Look forward to hearing from you your experience of collecting the card/sticker in person.

Collecting in person means you get it in a day max.Mailing it means another 7 days :).

I read basis mail and boggavarapu's response.Some points :
1.OCI's do not have to fill out Form C.None of the Foreigner's rules barring 5,9 and 15 apply to OCI's.Form C is rule 14.I dont know exactly what 5 9 and 15 are.
2.For the hotel charges i think there has been a circular discouraging this.But to avoid this get an Indian drivers license next time you go (or get your expired one renewed)and pay in Indian rupees :)

qwert97,barring your first trip if it is in the first half of 2006,that PIO/OCI line is not going to be that short anymore :).Just one question though is the card signed by an indian official ?

mangal969 said:
Collecting in person means you get it in a day max.Mailing it means another 7 days :).

I read basis mail and boggavarapu's response.Some points :
1.OCI's do not have to fill out Form C.None of the Foreigner's rules barring 5,9 and 15 apply to OCI's.Form C is rule 14.I dont know exactly what 5 9 and 15 are.
2.For the hotel charges i think there has been a circular discouraging this.But to avoid this get an Indian drivers license next time you go (or get your expired one renewed)and pay in Indian rupees :)

qwert97,barring your first trip if it is in the first half of 2006,that PIO/OCI line is not going to be that short anymore :).Just one question though is the card signed by an indian official ?

HI MAngal does the pio card holder have to pay the discriminatory charges when travelling domestic air/hotel stay in india? HOw about OCI does discrim domest air charges apply?

For me in person i will slip thru as a desi anyday whether it be hotel or domestic airlines but my wife is a european holding a PIO card so your answer would be much appreciated.

She got her PIO card from HCI wellington NZ. The PIO card looks like a home made job not sure whether it will work or not when passing through tough immigration countries. wherever they have wrote(Yes the whole card is hand written. How about OCI?) on the PIO card they have written in capital letters except for the I's eg HiGH COMMiSSiON OF iNDiA--IS that a particular style of writing in PIO cards? Does this happen in all embassy around the world. On the front page of the PIO card the seal is missing the first letter "H" in the high commission of india so the "H" is hand written and the other part of the seal is all smudged. With all the technology in India this all they could come up with unbelievable. After I get my OCI Im going to donate them a new seal with no letters missing on it.

A PIO card holder has to fill form C,so the whole thing goes out the window as far as hotel stay goes.In airlines the only 'discrimnatory fare' i know is between indian and foreign currency.So if you pay in Indian currency you pay the Indian price.

boggavarapu in a nutshell the OCI is entitiled to all rights of the citizen of india minus the government jobs,voting & political office.I'm sure some of the concerns (like PPF etc) will be addressed in the budget itself.My personal feeling is the benchmark for NRI v/s RI status will be determined how many days in the year were actually in India.

mangal969 said:

Mangal the document is signed by an Indian ofifical and the place of issue is New delhi. The signatures on U visa and OCI card are of the same person.