India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was just fooling around with the OCI statuses and found some interesting stats:
The first file no is No 14.File no 13 is "testing testing".There are some random nos in between that are still "Under process" and for some serial nos the dates of getting the grant are different(i.e some people get it faster than the others)

This all of course applies to NY only

And for my final post of the day .........
From the Citizenship Rules 1956:
25E. Scrutiny of applications.- (1) After preliminary scrutiny, if there is
no adverse information available against the applicant, the authority
shall register the person as an overseas citizen of India as soon as
possible but not later than two weeks and the case shall be placed for
post verification of the antecedents.
(2) If there is any adverse information against the applicant, prior approval
of the Central Government in the Ministry of Home Affairs shall be
required before grant of registration and the Central Government may
approve or reject the grant of registration within a period of three months
from the date of receipt of application.

Can we sue the Consul Generals for unnecessary harrasment ??

rajudm said:
Our applications are under process. Atleast one hurdle has passed (i.e file movement from New York consulate to New Delhi.

The last process is for a USAN00034606. Ours is 120 down the list. Whenever the next bulk approval happens it should get through. i.e Feb 21st. Another 3 weeks for the cards to arrive at the consulate door.
From your signature, I get the impression that you guys became PRs in May 2005. How come you are in the race for OCI? I thought it is meant for people of Indian origin that hold foreign passports. Am I missing something here?

mangal969 said:
NRI's are Non Resident Indians-They are people who hold Indian passports.The other categories are not NRI's.

If thats wot NRI stands for then they dont need voting approval as they already hold that right anyway. ALso the artical says NRI can vote when he is in that particular constitution.

Indian4 said:
If thats wot NRI stands for then they dont need voting approval as they already hold that right anyway. ALso the artical says NRI can vote when he is in that particular constitution.

This will enable "NRIs who have absented from their place of their ordinary residence in India owing to their employment, education or otherwise to get themselves enrolled in the electoral rolls and exercise their voting rights," said a statement issued after the cabinet meeting.

"The amendment will entitle eligible citizens of India to cast their votes in parliamentary and assembly elections when they are in their constituencies and thus fully participate in the democratic process of nation building and uphold their pride and prestige as citizens of India," the statement said.

Before,to register yourself as a voter for a particular constituency, you would have to give proof of that you were a resident in that constituency like a ration card.
Now, from what i understand,NRI's can register when they go to their constituencies and if they happen to be in India at election time they can vote too.
And OCI's and PIO's are not citizens of India

mangal969 said:
This will enable "NRIs who have absented from their place of their ordinary residence in India owing to their employment, education or otherwise to get themselves enrolled in the electoral rolls and exercise their voting rights," said a statement issued after the cabinet meeting.

"The amendment will entitle eligible citizens of India to cast their votes in parliamentary and assembly elections when they are in their constituencies and thus fully participate in the democratic process of nation building and uphold their pride and prestige as citizens of India," the statement said.

Before,to register yourself as a voter for a particular constituency, you would have to give proof of that you were a resident in that constituency like a ration card.
Now, from what i understand,NRI's can register when they go to their constituencies and if they happen to be in India at election time they can vote too.
And OCI's and PIO's are not citizens of India

Thakns mangal very informative. Oh i forgot to tell you as per latest news from nz my OCI papers have gone to MHA India. They said they will send my file number as soon as they get it. How long does it take to get the file number-- I applied through highcom not on the net.
-----------------
DO you think they keep track of all these things(Registrng for voting). I got my name on the voters list though I moved out of india 5 years ago. Now Im not even a citizen of india but im pretty sure that my name will be there in the state election coming this year.

OCI Time Frame ?

My sister got US citizenship and now she wants to apply for OCI ?

There is many conflicting information regarding time line to obtain OCI.

Does anyone knows, approx. how long does it take to get OCI through San Francisco Consulate. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969 said:
Chicago has put up a list of names for people whose OCI cards are ready (Lucky people but considering their wait has been 14 months....)

http://www.indianconsulate.com/Announcement For 2004-2005 OCI Applicants.htm

Out of curiosity I picked up the first name on that list and entered the reference number posted on Chicago's website at Online OCI enquiry under file number. It shows that OCI was granted on 17th December 05. I wonder why they were sitting on it for 2 months?

If we can figure out how INDH relates to Chicago perhaps the old applicants can check the status of their OCI card online. The last two digits definately relates to the year. IND probably means processed in India. Any other ideas?

qwert97 said:
Out of curiosity I picked up the first name on that list and entered the reference number posted on Chicago's website at Online OCI enquiry under file number. It shows that OCI was granted on 17th December 05. I wonder why they were sitting on it for 2 months?

If we can figure out how INDH relates to Chicago perhaps the old applicants can check the status of their OCI card online. The last two digits definately relates to the year. IND probably means processed in India. Any other ideas?

check with people from toronto wot was their file number, was it INDOXXXXXXXX if yes then probably they have taken the second letter of the cons chicago--hahaha wild guess :D

mangal969 said:
And for my final post of the day .........
From the Citizenship Rules 1956:
25E. Scrutiny of applications.- (1) After preliminary scrutiny, if there is
no adverse information available against the applicant, the authority
shall register the person as an overseas citizen of India as soon as
possible but not later than two weeks and the case shall be placed for
post verification of the antecedents.
(2) If there is any adverse information against the applicant, prior approval
of the Central Government in the Ministry of Home Affairs shall be
required before grant of registration and the Central Government may
approve or reject the grant of registration within a period of three months
from the date of receipt of application.

Can we sue the Consul Generals for unnecessary harrasment ??

In their lingo 2 weeks probably means 14 months. Imagine if they said not later than 14 months instead of 2 weeks probably i would have my oci in heaven from the angels :D

Indian4 said:
Thakns mangal very informative. Oh i forgot to tell you as per latest news from nz my OCI papers have gone to MHA India. They said they will send my file number as soon as they get it. How long does it take to get the file number-- I applied through highcom not on the net.
-----------------
DO you think they keep track of all these things(Registrng for voting). I got my name on the voters list though I moved out of india 5 years ago. Now Im not even a citizen of india but im pretty sure that my name will be there in the state election coming this year.

In reality there must be a miniscule number of NRI's who are not registered in their constituencies....As long as your ration card has your name you can vote.
I doubt they update these lists except for people who register the deaths and new registrations.
About your file no you're guess is as good as mine :)

How has the response to the dual citizenship card scheme introduced at the PBD been?

The response has been tremendous and it has been well accepted. Already, there have been between 3,000-4000 applications. However, we are looking to minimise the process work involved and the single window Pravasi centre will help in this regard. Maximum demand has come from Canada, US and Europe – many people are looking forward to coming back.

(If readers have any queries or comments for the Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi, please write in. We shall forward it to the Minister.)

I think here is our chance let's write as many of us as can to TOI and ask them to forward our queries to MOIA.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1417577,curpg-1.cms

Indian4 said:
check with people from toronto wot was their file number, was it INDOXXXXXXXX if yes then probably they have taken the second letter of the cons chicago--hahaha wild guess :D
Its been some time since I wrote some code - but I have a program that is going through that site and putting the numbers up one-by-one, searching for my name! No luck so far. I think it was sent back without getting looked at.

It is a long story

mpotturi,
Yes you are missing something very important. Prior to becoming PR of USA, we were PR of Canada and Australia. We are Australian citizens since 8 years. Thus eligible to get a OCI.

So 4 years from now will get the US passport (citizens of two countries and OCI of mother country). Everything gets in place as intended.

mpotturi said:
From your signature, I get the impression that you guys became PRs in May 2005. How come you are in the race for OCI? I thought it is meant for people of Indian origin that hold foreign passports. Am I missing something here?

Got it!

Finally got a call from Toronto Consulate this morning that the OCI card is ready. Went to the Consulate this afternoon and I was in and out of the Consulate's office in 30 minutes with a big smile after getting the U Visa and OCI card. The OCI card and U visa are issued in Delhi and are dated 24th Jan 2006. So the wait is finally over. I had applied for OCI in Dec 2004

I hope everyone who had applied for OCI gets it soon.

:) :)

CGI SF update

Just spoke to the OCI in charge lady at CGI SFO. They are (as usual?) last in the action but she assured that they will be notifying people and issuing OCI cards in the next 1-2 weeks by either posting names on website or sending letter.

qwert97 said:
Finally got a call from Toronto Consulate this morning that the OCI card is ready. Went to the Consulate this afternoon and I was in and out of the Consulate's office in 30 minutes with a big smile after getting the U Visa and OCI card. The OCI card and U visa are issued in Delhi and are dated 24th Jan 2006. So the wait is finally over. I had applied for OCI in Dec 2004

I hope everyone who had applied for OCI gets it soon.

Congrats Qwer97. Best of luck.
Thanks for all your feedback and help on this forum.