India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
genesis1 said:
krishnan1 did you file on line registration or did you send the part A application in mail? On the website it says only mail application accepted. However on the steps to application it says you must file on line registartion through ministry of home affairs.
Can you please clarify? Any idea how long it takes to get the card?
Thanks for your help.
Visit http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-main.htm

Click “Online Registration” and complete the form (Part-A) online.

When you have completed filling in Part A, click Save. A Print Window would appear. Click OK to print out your application form consisting of Part-A (which you completed as Online Registration). The blank form of Part-B will automatically print itself.

You must then complete Part-B, preferably TYPED. It may also be handwritten but in CAPITAL LETTERS with Blue or Black Ink.

The completed application form (Part-A & Part-B) must be submitted in DUPLICATE to the Consulate.

PIO1 said:
Hi Qwert.

I'm not from Toronto, was just helping out with their crazy fees. But I did phone my local consulate regarding my application of 2004. Guess what? Got sent back. They want me to fill in another form ????

Anyway after spending a few hours throwing things around, I collected my thoughts, and rather than wait for them to post the stuff to me, I have decided to fill in the form from scratch - like all the 05/06 applicants :mad:

After having the site crash a few times I collected my thoughts and filled in all the fields. Including the one about visible marks. Tomorrow I will pop in to the consulate down town and submit the stuff just like a new application.

I can not tell you how mad I am. I need to go to India in March/April. Just can't believe the whole farce.

An afterthought...if you complete a new application the consulate will not process the application unless you attach a demand draft of $275 per application. These guys are alien to the concept of adjusting money received for a service against another service. If I were you I would wait for the application (or go to the embassy to pick it up) and make the amendments that they require.

OCIguy said:
Received info from Toronto Consulate on Feb 9, 2006 that they have received 500 U-visa stickers and OCI cards for applications made at the end of 2004 which are being sorted out. Successful applicants are expected to be informed starting next week.

Got an email from Toronto Consulate that they have only received a few cards and they will distribute them as they are received. On Feb 10th the consulate general gave a press release that cards will be distributed begining this week. I do not know of anyone who has got a call from the Consulate. These guys need to get their act together.

krishnan1 said:
Date my application form was received at CGINY -- 20 Jan 2006
Status on 14Feb 2006 -- Granted

So the processing time, in my case, is slightly more than 3 weeks. Not sure when to send the passport to get it stamped. Has CGI NY posted anything in this regard?

I am thankful for the advice/comments posted in this thread.

So, just to understand, you completed processing and are waiting for the sticker to go into your passport from New Delhi? And that will be notified to you by the CGINY.

Thanks.

cgi ny

Thanks krishnan1. Just one clarification did you send the 275$ alongwith the application parts A & B or is it only after the OCI is granted? I am asking this as what happens if you still do not receive the OCI card/sticker for a couple of months and you need to travel to India with a new US passport in the meantime. Do they issue a visa within the same fee.
Thanks for sharing.

genesis1 said:
Thanks krishnan1. Just one clarification did you send the 275$ alongwith the application parts A & B or is it only after the OCI is granted? I am asking this as what happens if you still do not receive the OCI card/sticker for a couple of months and you need to travel to India with a new US passport in the meantime. Do they issue a visa within the same fee.
Thanks for sharing.

You have to send the $275 along with the application. I don't think they would issue a visa with the same fee.

Online status check not working

All:
I had no luck with the online status check after filing at CGISF on Jan 10.

1) I went to
http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp?search=2&button=go

2) it showed 2 boxes to fill (File# and Reference #) I tried all combinations( fill either or both) but the response was "File Number Does Not Exist."

The Part-A automated number generated when I filled online was of the format USAS10086xxx. (or maybe it is a 'I' not a 1 after the last S, but I tried that too, no luck)

Is this (USAS...) the file number, or reference number?

Rajax said:
All:
I had no luck with the online status check after filing at CGISF on Jan 10.

1) I went to
http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp?search=2&button=go

2) it showed 2 boxes to fill (File# and Reference #) I tried all combinations( fill either or both) but the response was "File Number Does Not Exist."

The Part-A automated number generated when I filled online was of the format USAS10086xxx. (or maybe it is a 'I' not a 1 after the last S, but I tried that too, no luck)

Is this (USAS...) the file number, or reference number?

That is your reference number.

Online status check

thanks fitness1

ok so when i leave the file number empty and just fill in the ref# column press go, I still get "File number does not exist" ...confusing! if folks are getting answer on ref column alone, thats when the red light starts flashing in my head
:D. An email to cgisf is in order...

Rajax said:
thanks fitness1

ok so when i leave the file number empty and just fill in the ref# column press go, I still get "File number does not exist" ...confusing! if folks are getting answer on ref column alone, thats when the red light starts flashing in my head

I think this simply means that the MHA has not received/started processing your application.

qwert97 said:
An afterthought...if you complete a new application the consulate will not process the application unless you attach a demand draft of $275 per application. These guys are alien to the concept of adjusting money received for a service against another service. If I were you I would wait for the application (or go to the embassy to pick it up) and make the amendments that they require.

Qwert is right PIO wait for the application or talk to them before you do anything.

Rajax said:
thanks fitness1

Rajax check with mangal 696 he has the same problem as urs, he will help you.

Indian4 said:
Qwert is right PIO wait for the application or talk to them before you do anything.
Hi I went to the consulate and gave him the bundle of papers (new application forms). He was happy. He said that OCI v1 (2004) did not collect your mother's name, e-mail address, US passport No and issue date, so they had to go back and get these. He said thanks for filling in the new form, because that's exactly what they would have done if they got the information they were after.

Also mentioned that 2004 applications are under priority, so hopefully will not be too long. Anyway I feel a bit better.

Re ref no - I am getting the same error - we have seen this problem on the forum before. You only need to fill in one field, but the site will continue to show "file number not found" untill the MHA has almost completed processing your application.

PIO1 said:
Hi I went to the consulate and gave him the bundle of papers (new application forms). He was happy. He said that OCI v1 (2004) did not collect your mother's name, e-mail address, US passport No and issue date, so they had to go back and get these. He said thanks for filling in the new form, because that's exactly what they would have done if they got the information they were after.

Also mentioned that 2004 applications are under priority, so hopefully will not be too long. Anyway I feel a bit better.

Re ref no - I am getting the same error - we have seen this problem on the forum before. You only need to fill in one field, but the site will continue to show "file number not found" untill the MHA has almost completed processing your application.

Good job PIO. I am pretty sure that you will get the OCI now. I am waiting for my forms to be returned since my forms also did not have mothers name. See you never got OCIv1 since now you are an OCIv2 applicant! :) :)

qwert97 said:
Good job PIO. I am pretty sure that you will get the OCI now. I am waiting for my forms to be returned since my forms also did not have mothers name. See you never got OCIv1 since now you are an OCIv2 applicant! :) :)

Qwert i appreciate ur patience and having a smily face knowing that ur forms are gonna be snt back. Shows the devils kingdom is expanding fast with the members from HCI around the world joining the devil at a rapid phase.

Last edited by a moderator:
qwert97 said:
Thanks qwert - true - OCIv1 is dead :( If I were you, I would get all the forms ready anyway ... no harm. Also supply your date of naturalisation.

Page 101, message 1501, and no OCI.

U-visa sticker and OCI received Toronto

qwert97 said:
Got an email from Toronto Consulate that they have only received a few cards and they will distribute them as they are received. On Feb 10th the consulate general gave a press release that cards will be distributed begining this week. I do not know of anyone who has got a call from the Consulate. These guys need to get their act together.

I was presented the OCI card by Consul General Satish C. Mehta today, Valentine's Day, February 14, 2006, at the Toronto Consulate in a Special Ceremony for the first OCI Cardholders in Canada who applied in late 2004. A U-visa sticker was also affixed in my Canadian Passport. The OCI card says I am an Overseas Citizen of India but a Canadian National. The U-visa sticker is invalid in Restricted, Protected and Cantonment Areas of India. A special permit for visiting such areas can be separately issued by the Consulate without charge. Both the U-visa and the Card say place of issue "Delhi". :D

Here are the phone no's buddy

Shri Vayalar Ravi- Minister PHONE- 91-11-24676839 / 24676837
E-MAIL ID minister@moia.nic.in

Shri S. Krishna Kumar- Secretary PHONE- 91-11-24674144 / 24674143 / 24197902 / 24197991
E-MAIL ID secretary@moia.nic.in

Address:
Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs
9th Floor, Akbar Bhawan
Chanakya Puri
New Delhi - 110021
I n d i a

Telephone Number: +91(11)2419 7900