India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
from London

mangal969 said:
Cool...when did you apply ? When did they receive Part-B ?
If you get something from CGISF or not is irrelevant.

Hello everybody,

Joining this oci saga from UK. However this will interest those who are new applicants in 2006. In the UK, we too have seen "granted on 24-jan-06" on mha site but have no idea when the actual visa can be stamped on passports enabling travel to India. High commission in London started accepting applications from 9 January and many people have been granted. Enquiries/Calls to them to find out when to expect the oci-card and U-visas have yielded no reply.

Let us see if any one who applied in 2006 has received the card yet or not. Comments welcome.

boggavarapu said:
Thanks Qwert 97. Very much appreciate your prompt feed back.

I am only wondering if our applications/file are actually being directly dealt by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs at this point of time!! The reason I am saying this is because I have written a letter to the Minister of MOIA (with a copy to the Prime Minister) on January 9, 2006. I know that MOIA received my letter on Jan. 18. I received the Postal Acknowledgment Card back from MOIA with signature and the date. The letter was actually related to the request for fee refund of $250.00 as I have paid the full fee for OCI application during Dec. 2004 (being a PIO Card holder). I have not heard from them so far.

Now I don't see our names on Chicago list! I feel so disappointed!! Waited for more than a year!!

I tried to contact Mr. Sharma and MOIA as well, however, it was equally difficult to reach them!

I do feel that Chicago Consulate should help to track down our applications once they dont see them back along with the OCI Cards/Stickers Package that they have been expecting to receive from India. I have now written a letter to the OCI Consulate officer sending a copy to Consul General for help. I have also sent them the copy of fee receipt issued to me during Dec. 2004 at the time of lodging OCI Applications personally at Chicago Consulate.

I would appreciate any further comments/suggestions. Many thanks.

The wheels of Indian bureacracy turn very slowly so do not expect a lot from MOIA. They will probably send you a stereo typed letter..saying we are unable..etc etc. The only thing that may turn the wheels is the letter to PM. If I were you:

1. I would write directly to the PMO explaining your situation and making reference to the earlier letter and mentioning that you have received no reply from MOIA.
2. Try to speak directly to the Ambassador/consulate general at Chicago. It may be a little difficult to reach him but you have to do it. These guys are senior IFS officers are are generally more understandable/considerate. If you get to speak to the consulate general let him know that they are the your reps and that they can only get the answers for you.

Other than that keep trying to contact Mr Sharma. I tried looking up the phone directory for MHA on the web and found that you can easily get the numbers of undersecretary/ Director at MHA but leave that as a last resort. The phone number that we use to call Mr Sharma is actually registered in the name of Mr. Rawat who is the undersecretary.

qwert97 said:
The wheels of Indian bureacracy turn very slowly so do not expect a lot from MOIA. They will probably send you a stereo typed letter..saying we are unable..etc etc. The only thing that may turn the wheels is the letter to PM. If I were you:

1. I would write directly to the PMO explaining your situation and making reference to the earlier letter and mentioning that you have received no reply from MOIA.
2. Try to speak directly to the Ambassador/consulate general at Chicago. It may be a little difficult to reach him but you have to do it. These guys are senior IFS officers are are generally more understandable/considerate. If you get to speak to the consulate general let him know that they are the your reps and that they can only get the answers for you.

Other than that keep trying to contact Mr Sharma. I tried looking up the phone directory for MHA on the web and found that you can easily get the numbers of undersecretary/ Director at MHA but leave that as a last resort. The phone number that we use to call Mr Sharma is actually registered in the name of Mr. Rawat who is the undersecretary.

Thank you very much Qwert 97. Appreciate for your time and effort to help the members on this forum. Good luck with your OCI Card/Sticker which I hope will be issued to you soon.

boggavarapu said:
Thank you very much Qwert 97. Appreciate for your time and effort to help the members on this forum. Good luck with your OCI Card/Sticker which I hope will be issued to you soon.

I think all of you in this same situation (2004 applicant,PIO card,Paid USD 275) should come together make a petition and send it to the MHA,PMO,MOIA and Ambassadors of India to the 'affected countries'.And i dont mean online petition An actual Paper and Ink petition .I dont think individual applications will have the same effect as a unified application.

Are we calling the same dog with 2 different names--OCI and PIO except for OCI is indefinite and dont have to register.

Indian4 said:
Are we calling the same dog with 2 different names--OCI and PIO except for OCI is indefinite and dont have to register.

The way I understood it - if a PIO holder stays beyond 180 days, then he/she needs to register at the foreigners registration office (and I believe this to be per visit). I also read from some of the GoI sites that talk about once in 15 years (which is the max validity of the PIO card). The one time in 15 years does not make any sense...I think GoI is confusing people with their english language!

They are the same dog with a different color :D OIC does not need to register for any length of stay; lifelong visa without expiry.

Indian4 said:

There is another difference- PIO is easy to get and OCI takes for ever :) :) :)

fitness99 said:
The way I understood it - if a PIO holder stays beyond 180 days, then he/she needs to register at the foreigners registration office (and I believe this to be per visit). I also read from some of the GoI sites that talk about once in 15 years (which is the max validity of the PIO card). The one time in 15 years does not make any sense...I think GoI is confusing people with their english language!

They are the same dog with a different color :D OIC does not need to register for any length of stay; lifelong visa without expiry.

PIO have to register with fro only for the first time thats all. Its is funny but thats how it is done. OCI is indefinite and no need to register. SO its the same dog with OCI the second name yet to baptised :D . Its cheap!! but not operational yet :D

qwert97 said:
There is another difference- PIO is easy to get and OCI takes for ever :) :) :)

YOU HAVE GOT IT EXACTLY RIGHT. I read an article dont know from where it says the OCI card will be replaced by a smart card and the process will be sorted by 15 Aug. I think they are in a dilemma with cards and smart cards and the process. I think this thread will continue till 15 Aug 06

The chicago consulate hes removed the passport nos from their website.I had e-mailed them about the passports nos because i was worried other embassies may follow suite and they listened ! Kudos to them for that.

Houston also had a function on Saturday where they issued OCI cards to 14 2005 applicants.
Chicago seems to be the most efficient and NY the least.Still no news on my application status.

I hope they dont hold back the OCI process for the smart cards, or we may go into 2007 :)
I'm sure the smart cards will be optional or on cost because i dont think the government will shell out this much money.But given a choice i would prefer the booklet over the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
First 'Real' OCI Cards Issued in the US

qwerty said:
basis said:
I think we'll soon hit page 100. Any bets on that first real OCI card will be received before we hit page 100 :)

You must be kidding..that means someone receiving an OCI in a weeks time...thats impossible. I am prepared to lay a bet that someone will get an OCI before we hit page 125. I still think my chances of losing are pretty high!

mangal969 said:
Was that page 100 or did you intend to write 1000 ??
:D :confused: :D

qwerty / Mangal - It is page before page 100 :). No takers for the bet....what a relief :))

http://groups.msn.com/r2iclub/gener...essage=82918&LastModified=4675560131397030432

YES!!
I am one of the lucky 14 families who got the OIC. Houston consulate on saturday 11th feb had arranged a formal function to handout the OIC (they claimed first issuance for whole US). the consul general gave a small speech followed by handing over ceremony then followed by a catered lunch.

The oic is a 2 part doc. a passport/pio card look alike booklet with the OIC printed on front and other details inside. It feels better than the pio booklet. the second part is the U-visa stamp on the US passport. this is actually good since we dont have to carry 2 docs each time we leave/enter the country.

on a side note.. i had applied in jan 2005. the consul said it may take 4-5 mo for people who apply now. again that is just a guess as he said it depends on how fast delhi can process.=

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow !
If New Delhi maintains the speed at which they processed the 2004 applicants I think the OCI cards will come within 45 days of approval :)
But we need to know-Are the OCI cards really processed in India or are they processed here ? If these people have their OCI card with the sign and seal of an MHA official then the cards really are processed in India.If they are signed and sealed by a consular officer in Houston then whatever they are telling us about the cards being processed in India is hocus-pocus.They are processing it here and MHA is just sending the blanks.
I think Mangal Pandey had answered earlier that the cards issued in Sydney were signed and sealed by the Consul General of Sydney.
So embassies blame the MHA,MHA blames the MOIA-Anyone contact the MOIA ? We should see whom they blame next :)
All this exuberance apart I am shocked that the MHA didnt have enough blank OCI cards ready in the one month after the scheme became operational -and they still dont.

mangal969 said:
Wow !
If New Delhi maintains the speed at which they processed the 2004 applicants I think the OCI cards will come within 45 days of approval :)
But we need to know-Are the OCI cards really processed in India or are they processed here ? If these people have their OCI card with the sign and seal of an MHA official then the cards really are processed in India.If they are signed and sealed by a consular officer in Houston then whatever they are telling us about the cards being processed in India is hocus-pocus.They are processing it here and MHA is just sending the blanks.
I think Mangal Pandey had answered earlier that the cards issued in Sydney were signed and sealed by the Consul General of Sydney.
So embassies blame the MHA,MHA blames the MOIA-Anyone contact the MOIA ? We should see whom they blame next :)
All this exuberance apart I am shocked that the MHA didnt have enough blank OCI cards ready in the one month after the scheme became operational -and they still dont.

Mangal 969 - my understanding in this matter is follows:

1) Consulate initially recommends the case and forwards the OCI application to Home Ministry

2) Home Ministry further processes and approves the application and sends it Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs where the OCI Card and Sticker are actually printed

3) MOIA then despatches the Cards/Stickers to the relevant destinations
(Consulates etc.)

There may be more steps involved which I may not be aware of and I would love to hear them.

Mangal 969, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your prompt feedback, input and help to this forum members. Much appreciated.

Oci

HAs anyone from this forum got ur OCI? as we almost reached pg 100. WHy does GOI aalways have to wait for good date and time like OCI launch 14 NOv Nehru B day-- and to stream line the process 15 Aug 06 Indpndnce day and so on. Looks like we will have to wait till 15 AUg 2006.

CGISF and OCI

I applied a couple days after CGISF started receiving application. I think I completed the online part around Jan 11 and mailed my entire application the next day.

mangal969 said:
Cool...when did you apply ? When did they receive Part-B ?
If you get something from CGISF or not is irrelevant.

qwert97 said:
PIO1 did you get a response from Toronto consulate?
Hi Qwert.

I'm not from Toronto, was just helping out with their crazy fees. But I did phone my local consulate regarding my application of 2004. Guess what? Got sent back. They want me to fill in another form ????

Anyway after spending a few hours throwing things around, I collected my thoughts, and rather than wait for them to post the stuff to me, I have decided to fill in the form from scratch - like all the 05/06 applicants :mad:

After having the site crash a few times I collected my thoughts and filled in all the fields. Including the one about visible marks. Tomorrow I will pop in to the consulate down town and submit the stuff just like a new application.

I can not tell you how mad I am. I need to go to India in March/April. Just can't believe the whole farce.

oci processing at cgi ny

Date my application form was received at CGINY -- 20 Jan 2006
Status on 14Feb 2006 -- Granted

So the processing time, in my case, is slightly more than 3 weeks. Not sure when to send the passport to get it stamped. Has CGI NY posted anything in this regard?

I am thankful for the advice/comments posted in this thread.

PIO1 said:
Hi Qwert.

I'm not from Toronto, was just helping out with their crazy fees. But I did phone my local consulate regarding my application of 2004. Guess what? Got sent back. They want me to fill in another form ????

Anyway after spending a few hours throwing things around, I collected my thoughts, and rather than wait for them to post the stuff to me, I have decided to fill in the form from scratch - like all the 05/06 applicants :mad:

After having the site crash a few times I collected my thoughts and filled in all the fields. Including the one about visible marks. Tomorrow I will pop in to the consulate down town and submit the stuff just like a new application.

I can not tell you how mad I am. I need to go to India in March/April. Just can't believe the whole farce.

You have my full sympathy. I need to travel to India in April and I really hope that they do not send my form back as well. I will be really mad. So I guess the applciations were gathering dust for a year and this is the first time somebody has actually taken a look at them.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

oci at ny

krishnan1 did you file on line registration or did you send the part A application in mail? On the website it says only mail application accepted. However on the steps to application it says you must file on line registartion through ministry of home affairs.
Can you please clarify? Any idea how long it takes to get the card?
Thanks for your help.