India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
So the MHA is sending each embassy a list of their 2004 applicants with their visa and OCI card nos and are going to send the actual cards seperatley ????
They are dumber than i gave them credit for ! ! !
Actually this shows that what ever Mr Sharma from New Delhi told people over the phone was accurate.

Well, I say outsource the damn thing if GoI is so incompetent!!! :D

mangal969 said:
So the MHA is sending each embassy a list of their 2004 applicants with their visa and OCI card nos and are going to send the actual cards seperatley ????
Actually this shows that what ever Mr Sharma from New Delhi told people over the phone was accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969 said:

Hey Mangal just now had a look at the chicago consulate website my god the home page looks worse than a rubbish bin. Instead of having Arun's photo on the home page they should have aishwarya rai's photo atleast that will add some glamour to that bin. Looks like arun has sold all the US citizens passport number name to Uncle Osama Binladen on his site. He is asking for trouble mate thats for sure

Here is an update:

I spoke to Mr. Sharma again this morning and asked him as to why the local embassies have not received the OCI cards. He said that MHA does not send the cards directly to embassies. As per the rules in place MHA gives the cards to Ministry of Overseas Indian affairs and they are responsible for sending the cards to the respective embassies. He confirmed that they have no applications pending for OCI v1 and everything got cleared around 26th January.

That explains why it is taking a little longer for respective embassies to receive the cards since MOIA is taking care of the dispatch and once another government agency is involved it means a delay of about a month.

It seems to me that MOIA is first compiling a list of all the cards and forwarding that to local embassies and that is the reason Chicago is giving information about cards processed etc. However since MOIA has not physically sent the cards Chicago consulate has stated that cards have not been received.

Now that I understand the cause of the delay it makes me feel a little better. I think we should hear from our embassies in 3rd or 4th week of this month. This applies to only OCI v1

Notification of OCI receipt

Received info from Toronto Consulate on Feb 9, 2006 that they have received 500 U-visa stickers and OCI cards for applications made at the end of 2004 which are being sorted out. Successful applicants are expected to be informed starting next week.

OCIguy said:
Received info from Toronto Consulate on Feb 9, 2006 that they have received 500 U-visa stickers and OCI cards for applications made at the end of 2004 which are being sorted out. Successful applicants are expected to be informed starting next week.

Its been a while since we have received a good news. Did you get an email from Mr. Bagga?

this is sad state of affairs.nobody knows who is processing the OCI forms. is it the consulates or India??? what a rip off. This just reminds us why we left india in the first place!

OCI Registration exemption conflict

Friends note that OCI's may NOT be completely exempt from Registration contrary to what has been said in the media and consular websites. See http://www.manupatra.com/asp/newsletter 119.asp for the actual Notification in the Gazette of India. Scroll down to Ministry of Home Affairs, then to the second notification titled "Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Amendment Order, 2005". Note it uses the phrase "except rules 5, 9 and 15". Anyone know what rules 5, 9 and 15 are?

Also note the first notification under sub para (b) only exempts Registration with the Registration department, leading me to believe that Rules 5, 9 and 15 may require filling up the special Foreigner "Form C" when staying in a hotel or informing authorities when changing addresses, etc., but I cannot be sure till I see the actual Rules. If anyone can post them as a reply, that will be great. :confused:

qwert97 said:
Here is an update:

I spoke to Mr. Sharma again this morning and asked him as to why the local embassies have not received the OCI cards. He said that MHA does not send the cards directly to embassies. As per the rules in place MHA gives the cards to Ministry of Overseas Indian affairs and they are responsible for sending the cards to the respective embassies. He confirmed that they have no applications pending for OCI v1 and everything got cleared around 26th January.

That explains why it is taking a little longer for respective embassies to receive the cards since MOIA is taking care of the dispatch and once another government agency is involved it means a delay of about a month.

It seems to me that MOIA is first compiling a list of all the cards and forwarding that to local embassies and that is the reason Chicago is giving information about cards processed etc. However since MOIA has not physically sent the cards Chicago consulate has stated that cards have not been received.

Now that I understand the cause of the delay it makes me feel a little better. I think we should hear from our embassies in 3rd or 4th week of this month. This applies to only OCI v1

I am quite worried about my case. We have submitted four OCI Applications at Chicago Consulate during December 2004 and I donot see our names on their website now. I spoke with the concerned Consular Officer regarding this matter. I have been asked to just wait!! I have waited for more than one year like many others. Atleast, they are about to get their OCI Cards and I am pleased for them.

For some reason, if they cant track down my applications at all - what can they do for me? I would hate to be asked to reapply!

We are PIO Card Holders (Since 2002) and actually paid a fee of $275.00 for each OCI Application during Dec. 2004.

I would appreciate any of your views/suggestions in this matter. Thanks.

OCIguy,
I have some partial information for you:
1.Form C falls under Rule 14 so OCI's are exempt from filling the form

2.Rule 9 relates to a time limit of 24 hours to produced your certificate of registration (My guess is the OCI card) if demanded by the police or judiciary.

Thats all i could find

qwert97 said:
Here is an update:

So there should be a song for this, The applicant give the OCI form to the consulate, the consulate gives it to the MEA, the MEA gives it to MHA, the MHA gives it to the MOIA, the MOIA tells the PMO it has got it, the PMO says lets start, the MOIA says lets go, the MHA processes it, and hands it over to MOIA, the MOIA gives it back to MHA for distribution, who gives it to the MEA, and the MEA gives it to the Embassy, and the Embassy gives it to the consulate, and the consulate asks for more information from the applicant.

A friend of mine in Chicago was facing a similar situation as mine so he went to the embassy to demand an explanation.He was told that the forms are scrutinised here by an officer.If the officer(s) approve the draft is cashed and furthur procedure takes place.The scrutiny is fastest for previous Indian citizens and slowest for the indirect applicants who never held an Indian passport.

This is pretty inconsistent with what we have been hearing of the forms being processed in India.Otherwise also I can punch so many holes into this that it would resemble a rag by the time i am done with it.But thats how they say the procedure is being done.

OCI and CGISF - Status Granted

Hi mangal,

Thanks for your advice. I went to mha web-site last night and used my reference number. It gave me a status of "Granted on January 24, 2006". I haven't received any communications from CGISF (electronic or otherwise) so I wonder if it really means anything. Even so, I am glad that they atleast have some information on my application!

mangal969 said:
You can just check your status on the MHA website.Enter you reference no (USAXX0000000) in the appropriate column and see.
This hasnt worked for me and i had sent my app in the first week itself(CGINY),but i have heard it has worked for some people.

krazie said:
Hi mangal,

Thanks for your advice. I went to mha web-site last night and used my reference number. It gave me a status of "Granted on January 24, 2006". I haven't received any communications from CGISF (electronic or otherwise) so I wonder if it really means anything. Even so, I am glad that they atleast have some information on my application!

Cool...when did you apply ? When did they receive Part-B ?
If you get something from CGISF or not is irrelevant.

qwert97 said:
Here is an update:

Whay are they playing passing the parcel within their departments and Dog and the bone with applicants ?
Keeping the MOIA in between just lengthens the paper trail.Makes no sense

OCIguy said:
Friends note that OCI's may NOT be completely exempt from Registration contrary to what has been said in the media and consular websites. See http://www.manupatra.com/asp/newsletter 119.asp for the actual Notification in the Gazette of India. Scroll down to Ministry of Home Affairs, then to the second notification titled "Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Amendment Order, 2005". Note it uses the phrase "except rules 5, 9 and 15". Anyone know what rules 5, 9 and 15 are?

Also note the first notification under sub para (b) only exempts Registration with the Registration department, leading me to believe that Rules 5, 9 and 15 may require filling up the special Foreigner "Form C" when staying in a hotel or informing authorities when changing addresses, etc., but I cannot be sure till I see the actual Rules. If anyone can post them as a reply, that will be great. :confused:

This was raised in a previous post. I don't think the rules (5,9,15) require police registration as you point out. I have tried to look for these rule, but they date back to the outbreak of WWII in British India, and I can't find an online copy - and I have tried. In fact I can't even find the gazzette of India online. If someone finds the rules online, then you deserve an OCI!

PIO1 said:
So there should be a song for this, The applicant give the OCI form to the consulate, the consulate gives it to the MEA, the MEA gives it to MHA, the MHA gives it to the MOIA, the MOIA tells the PMO it has got it, the PMO says lets start, the MOIA says lets go, the MHA processes it, and hands it over to MOIA, the MOIA gives it back to MHA for distribution, who gives it to the MEA, and the MEA gives it to the Embassy, and the Embassy gives it to the consulate, and the consulate asks for more information from the applicant.

This is hilarious :)) LMAO here :)))

This thread has become quite funny lately :)

boggavarapu said:
I am quite worried about my case. We have submitted four OCI Applications at Chicago Consulate during December 2004 and I donot see our names on their website now. I spoke with the concerned Consular Officer regarding this matter. I have been asked to just wait!! I have waited for more than one year like many others. Atleast, they are about to get their OCI Cards and I am pleased for them.

For some reason, if they cant track down my applications at all - what can they do for me? I would hate to be asked to reapply!

We are PIO Card Holders (Since 2002) and actually paid a fee of $275.00 for each OCI Application during Dec. 2004.

I would appreciate any of your views/suggestions in this matter. Thanks.

If Chicago cannot answer any of the questions, call Mr. Sharma again, explain him the situation and ask him if your application was processed or not. These guys normally have a register in which they enter everything (that is usual at GOI) that is received at their office. You may have to convince him to look up the register. Tell him that you can call him in half an hour again and would appreciate if he can check your name. If he has the record of your application and the application has been processed you will receive it eventually. If he has no record of it then you are out of luck. Its worth a shot and you will get an answer right from the 'horse's mouth'

qwert97 said:
If Chicago cannot answer any of the questions, call Mr. Sharma again, explain him the situation and ask him if your application was processed or not. These guys normally have a register in which they enter everything (that is usual at GOI) that is received at their office. You may have to convince him to look up the register. Tell him that you can call him in half an hour again and would appreciate if he can check your name. If he has the record of your application and the application has been processed you will receive it eventually. If he has no record of it then you are out of luck. Its worth a shot and you will get an answer right from the 'horse's mouth'

Thanks Qwert 97. Very much appreciate your prompt feed back.

I am only wondering if our applications/file are actually being directly dealt by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs at this point of time!! The reason I am saying this is because I have written a letter to the Minister of MOIA (with a copy to the Prime Minister) on January 9, 2006. I know that MOIA received my letter on Jan. 18. I received the Postal Acknowledgment Card back from MOIA with signature and the date. The letter was actually related to the request for fee refund of $250.00 as I have paid the full fee for OCI application during Dec. 2004 (being a PIO Card holder). I have not heard from them so far.

Now I don't see our names on Chicago list! I feel so disappointed!! Waited for more than a year!!

I tried to contact Mr. Sharma and MOIA as well, however, it was equally difficult to reach them!

I do feel that Chicago Consulate should help to track down our applications once they dont see them back along with the OCI Cards/Stickers Package that they have been expecting to receive from India. I have now written a letter to the OCI Consulate officer sending a copy to Consul General for help. I have also sent them the copy of fee receipt issued to me during Dec. 2004 at the time of lodging OCI Applications personally at Chicago Consulate.

I would appreciate any further comments/suggestions. Many thanks.