India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
fitness99 said:
I agree. This information should have been kept confidential (looks like someone at the Chicago consulate decided to make this information public on the web! :eek: ). This makes me wonder how GoI handles all the confidential information they have on all the applicants!

On the flip side, looks like a LOT of applications are processed :D

I am a UK Citizen and US Greencard Holder. I have applied for OCI for myself and wife and two kids during Dec. 2004 through Chicago Consulate.

I havenot found our names now on the Consulate's web posted list of approved OCI Applicants (2004-2005). I immediately contacted the concerned Officer at the Consulate and asked him about our names on the list. He has advised me to wait further. He said that although they have posted the names, they havenot received anything from India so far.

I wonder what happened to our applications!!

I am rather worried. Any suggestions/advice from this forum members will be appreciated at this stage. Thanks.

boggavarapu said:
I am a UK Citizen and US Greencard Holder. I have applied for OCI for myself and wife and two kids during Dec. 2004 through Chicago Consulate.

I havenot found our names now on the Consulate's web posted list of approved OCI Applicants (2004-2005). I immediately contacted the concerned Officer at the Consulate and asked him about our names on the list. He has advised me to wait further. He said that although they have posted the names, they havenot received anything from India so far.

I wonder what happened to our applications!!

I am rather worried. Any suggestions/advice from this forum members will be appreciated at this stage. Thanks.

I wonder if they received the first batch of OCI cards from India. Remember these are only for OCI v1

qwert97 said:
I wonder if they received the first batch of OCI cards from India. Remember these are only for OCI v1

This morning, Chicago Consulate informed that they have not actually received any OCI Cards/Stickers from India!!

Having applied in Dec. 2004, I thought I would fall under OCI v1? Is that right?

basis, qwert, mangal, thanks!

Just answering a few questions, I am ordering commercial goods from India. With this particular dealer, there is no agreement, we are negotiating the first transaction. I am tempted to walk away. I have no problems with others, they all accept rupees (though many first ask for US$ which does irritate me).

The NRE account I have is quite good - it has a high interest rate, and allows me to deposit and withdraw o/s. In India I can withdraw via checks, Demand Drafts and ATMs at no charge (provided I maintain a minimum balance). The account is held in INRs. I can go onto the internet and within 24 hours, a DD is at the recipient's door. If I go for a foreign currency DD, the bank will charge around $20. The exchange rate is close to market I believe, and I can control when I deposit or withdraw.

From what you all say, they have no right to insist in US$ - especially after reading basis's article re how hotels previously added a US$ surcharge, and insisted foreigners pay in foreign currency - effectively illegally extracting more money from foreigners.

Every developed country in the world accepts their local currency. The way the currency markets work, effectively I am paying foreign dollars anyway in order to buy INRs for my NRE account - so what's the problem?

boggavarapu said:
This morning, Chicago Consulate informed that they have not actually received any OCI Cards/Stickers from India!!

Having applied in Dec. 2004, I thought I would fall under OCI v1? Is that right?

I think the OCI stickers and cards will be ready by 2020 mission chandrayan(mission to moon by india) Looks like they will have to get the cards and stickers from the moon. Mean time Agni III, Bromos, Barak I and BArak II should be aimed at HCI wellington NZ.

boggavarapu said:

Yeah you should fall under OCI v1. I will try calling Mr. Sharma tonight and see what he says. If possible, you can also try calling him. My problem is that I can never get hold of him. The concept of taking a message/ Voicemail/ email is alien to MHA.

When you go through the list posted at Chicago you will notice that all OCI cards are sequentially numbered which will mean that they are processing the cards by embassies. Since Chicago is earlier in the alphabetical list (letter C) perhaps they were processed earlier than my local embassy Toronto.

The bottom line is that OCI is still a hype and nobody has received it. I should have applied for PIO in the first place and then got it converted to OCI by paying $25. It may have costed a couple of hundred dollars more but in the end it would have been worth it.

Indian4 said:
I think the OCI stickers and cards will be ready by 2020 mission chandrayan(mission to moon by india)
If chandrayan actually lifts off by 2020.Who knows maybe they'll use OCI applications as rocket fuel.The volume of paper combined with the gas generated from all this bull should be enough to get the rocket to the moon in an environment friendly way :D

Indian4 said:
Looks like they will have to get the cards and stickers from the moon.
You'll probably get them faster than you would from the embassies ! :p

Indian4 said:
Mean time Agni III, Bromos, Barak I and BArak II should be aimed at HCI wellington NZ.
Spare something for the NY consulate ;)
Relax Indian4 just check your status regularly on the MHA website and keep an eye on your mail for anything from the consulate.IF HCI wellington is as uncooperative as CGINY, I guess there is not much you can do other than wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969 said:
If chandrayan actually lifts off by 2020.Who knows maybe they'll use OCI applications as rocket fuel.The volume of paper combined with the gas generated from all this bull should be enough to get the rocket to the moon in an environment friendly way :D

2 December, 7 January, 15 day processing time have all passed.

If Mr Sharma and the consulate does not have it, then where is it?

"The cards are in the mail" is the oldest one in the book. What mode of transport does the Govt of India use for diplomatic bag deliveries? They should say 15 day processing time + 15 months delivery by bullock cart. I think we should stop giving the bulls a bad name :D

qwert97 said:
Yeah you should fall under OCI v1. I will try calling Mr. Sharma tonight and see what he says. If possible, you can also try calling him. My problem is that I can never get hold of him. The concept of taking a message/ Voicemail/ email is alien to MHA.

When you go through the list posted at Chicago you will notice that all OCI cards are sequentially numbered which will mean that they are processing the cards by embassies. Since Chicago is earlier in the alphabetical list (letter C) perhaps they were processed earlier than my local embassy Toronto.

The bottom line is that OCI is still a hype and nobody has received it. I should have applied for PIO in the first place and then got it converted to OCI by paying $25. It may have costed a couple of hundred dollars more but in the end it would have been worth it.

Dont call tonight (Thursday Feb 9)...Today may be the government holdiay for Muhharam.The embassies are closed.

Besides Mr Sharma has already said earlier that all 2004 applicantion materials have been sent to their respective embassies.What more can he say ??

I dont understand why you would want to go for a PIO and then convert it to an OCI,unless you are planning to R2I in a month or so.It would not save you anything in terms of time and would only cost you more money !

fitness99 said:
I agree. This information should have been kept confidential (looks like someone at the Chicago consulate decided to make this information public on the web! :eek: ). This makes me wonder how GoI handles all the confidential information they have on all the applicants!

On the flip side, looks like a LOT of applications are processed :D
We raised this earlier. The CG of Chicago is breaking Indian law, and could face 2 years jail for this. See post#1021

PIO1 said:
2 December, 7 January, 15 day processing time have all passed.

If Mr Sharma and the consulate does not have it, then where is it?

"The cards are in the mail" is the oldest one in the book. What mode of transport does the Govt of India use for diplomatic bag deliveries? They should say 15 day processing time + 15 months delivery by bullock cart. I think we should stop giving the bulls a bad name :D

India has bulls that can swim ! ! ! ! ! Or are they gas propelled :confused:

Did you check on ebay ? or maybe ihaveyouroci.com ??? :cool:

I wouldnt trust a word of what these people say.I heard of a guy who mailed his application on 25th Jan and was approved on 31st Jan.How could they send it to India in 4 days and process it ? (25 to 31 is 7 days but republic day and the weekend were in between). And if they can why are they not doing it for me (21 days and my file still doesnt exist.no contact from the embassy,no response to e-mails,nothing wrong with my application! ! )

mangal969 said:
PIO1, I re-read your post:
Information Technology Act 2000, Chapter XI Section 72.
Penalty for breach of confidentiality and privacy.

Save as otherwise provided in this Act or any other law for the time being in force, any person who, in pursuance of any of the powers conferred under this Act, rules or regulations made thereunder, has secured access to any electronic record, book, register, correspondence, information, document or other material without the consent of the person concerned discloses such electronic record, book. register, correspondence, information, document or other material to any other person shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine which may extend to one lakh rupees, or with both.

Unfortunately we have given consent to them in the form of signature and submission of the forms.

I still think, it does not mean that GoI can make everyone's passport number/name pasted on the internet.... :p

fitness99 said:
I still think, it does not mean that GoI can make everyone's passport number/name pasted on the internet.... :p

It's plain wrong for them to do it, I'm sure the CG of Chicago is violating a bunch of (US) laws and someone on that list can probably sue him for 'tons' of money !
But the he cant be held responsible in this particular act.Also the clause mentioned clearly mentions that that the punishment is for any officer empowered by the act to pursue information under the act.

BTW Where did my post go ????

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian4 said:
I think the OCI stickers and cards will be ready by 2020 mission chandrayan(mission to moon by india) Looks like they will have to get the cards and stickers from the moon. Mean time Agni III, Bromos, Barak I and BArak II should be aimed at HCI wellington NZ.

mangal969 said:

PIO1 said:
What mode of transport does the Govt of India use for diplomatic bag deliveries? They should say 15 day processing time + 15 months delivery by bullock cart. I think we should stop giving the bulls a bad name :D

After a bad day at work, your collective comments on OCI cracked me up. I'm still teary-eyed from all the laughing :D :D
I must commend on the sense of humor present in this thread, despite the fact that the Consulates and GOI are sitting tight on your application and of course your money.

I registered for the OCI, but am determined to send the application and the fee, only after I see Mangal get something from CGINY.

I think we'll soon hit page 100. Any bets on that first real OCI card will be received before we hit page 100 :)

oci application - cgi ny

I submitted my OCI application to CGI NY and they received it on Jan 20th.
Today, I tried to view my status on line, and I keyed in just my reference number and pressed the GO button. My application status says "IN PROCESS".
It automatically fills in the File number. If you just pressed your Enter key after filling in the reference number, it does ask for the file number. Just FYI for mangal who has been very valuable to this thread.
Krishnan

basis said:
I think we'll soon hit page 100. Any bets on that first real OCI card will be received before we hit page 100 :)

You must be kidding..that means someone receiving an OCI in a weeks time...thats impossible. I am prepared to lay a bet that someone will get an OCI before we hit page 125. I still think my chances of losing are pretty high! :)

qwert97 said:
You must be kidding..that means someone receiving an OCI in a weeks time...thats impossible. I am prepared to lay a bet that someone will get an OCI before we hit page 125. I still think my chances of losing are pretty high! :)

Yes I am kidding ...... let the sense of humor continue...

jenimmi said:
After a bad day at work, your collective comments on OCI cracked me up. I'm still teary-eyed from all the laughing :D :D
I must commend on the sense of humor present in this thread, despite the fact that the Consulates and GOI are sitting tight on your application and of course your money.

I registered for the OCI, but am determined to send the application and the fee, only after I see Mangal get something from CGINY.

Thanks for the vote of confidence jenimmi.But as you can probably see some people are getting some sort of response from CGINY.So if you are really serious about applying for your OCI apply as soon as possible.The later you send your application,the more far behind you will fall in the list and the later you will get your OCI.The way things are going i dont expect them to become regular in their procedures anytime soon.