India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
boggavarapu said:
:mad: I wonder if anyone has so far received the OCI Card/Sticker in the USA.
I have contacted Chicago Consulate this morning. They informed me that they received nothing so far from India!!

As a 2004 Applicant, I am looking forward to receiving the card asap.
Few days ago, when I contacted OCI Section (Mr. Sharma) in New Delhi - they have confirmed that all the 2004 applications have been already processed and the cards should be handed over soon by the respective consulates. I am just wondering if the cards are still in transit!!

Relax man it's just after the weekend..... :p
My application took a week just to get from the receiver to the department within the consulate! ! !
I am sure they will call you when they get it.For all you know it may be n the receivers hands already :D

The people who have already got theri OCI cards-Is it signed by an officer in India or the local embassy ? That way we can know if the cards come pre-filled from India.

CGISF and OCI acknowledgement

Howdy Folks,

I submitted my OCI application about 3 weeks ago - a few days after CGISF started accepting applications. I haven't received an acknowledgement (email or postal mail) from them thus far. Does anybody know if CGISF sends out email or postal acknowledgments?

Thanks in advance!

Oci

Think i have made a mistake of applying for OCI. I should have gone for PIO. No one knows exactly wots happening with OCI. Has anyone in this whole world manage to get OCI apart from the ones presented by the prime minister. I applied OCI on the 17th of january wellington, NZ. HAven't got my Acknowledgement yet neither file number nor bar code for tracking. If you mail the embassy they say they dont know waiting for india as india is processing OCI. They have got all our original passports as well means we cant travel--how long no one knows. Has anyone got their cards??--Does anyone know how long it will take? PLease please please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news regarding OCI v1? As per information posted earlier they were shipped from Delhi (almost two weeks ago). Did anyone receive a call from thier embassy?. The embassy in Canada has not received anything yet. I am just sick and tired of waiting for this process. Can't belive its 1 year 3 months already.

Here is an update on my OCI application in Houston consulate. I applied on Jan. 18, got the file number on Feb. 1 via email and the online status shows that OCI has been granted on Feb. 5.

qwert97 said:
Any news regarding OCI v1? As per information posted earlier they were shipped from Delhi (almost two weeks ago). Did anyone receive a call from thier embassy?. The embassy in Canada has not received anything yet. I am just sick and tired of waiting for this process. Can't belive its 1 year 3 months already.

Well, today I checked with Chicago consulate re. 2004 applicants. They informed me that they haven't received anything so far!

OCI Cell (New Delhi) have already confirmed that the 2004 applications have been processed and the cards should be received by the applicants (through their consulates) any day!

It doesn't look like anyone received in the USA so far!!

krazie said:
Howdy Folks,

I submitted my OCI application about 3 weeks ago - a few days after CGISF started accepting applications. I haven't received an acknowledgement (email or postal mail) from them thus far. Does anybody know if CGISF sends out email or postal acknowledgments?

Thanks in advance!

You can just check your status on the MHA website.Enter you reference no (USAXX0000000) in the appropriate column and see.
This hasnt worked for me and i had sent my app in the first week itself(CGINY),but i have heard it has worked for some people.

Notarizing OCI documents

Greetings:

We are planning to apply for the OCI for our entire family shortly, that is, husband, wife and two minor kids. Our jurisdiction is CGI Houston. We have a set of 40 pages (the required documents) to be notarized!! We haven't gone to the bank yet, but 40 is a huge number and we are apprehensive of the notary officer's reaction to this. Please inform how your experience has been and where did you get the documents notarized? What was the fees, if any?

Thanks

Indian4 said:
Think i have made a mistake of applying for OCI. I should have gone for PIO. No one knows exactly wots happening with OCI. Has anyone in this whole world manage to get OCI apart from the ones presented by the prime minister. I applied OCI on the 17th of january wellington, NZ. HAven't got my Acknowledgement yet neither file number nor bar code for tracking. If you mail the embassy they say they dont know waiting for india as india is processing OCI. They have got all our original passports as well means we cant travel--how long no one knows. Has anyone got their cards??--Does anyone know how long it will take? PLease please please help me.

Some people who applied in December in Sydney are getting their cards but that's all we have heard.
You should request the embassy to return your passport if you need it.You can always resubmit it to them once the visa arrives from India.You can also ask them to check if your application has gone to India or not.

mysticbubbles said:
Greetings:

We are planning to apply for the OCI for our entire family shortly, that is, husband, wife and two minor kids. Our jurisdiction is CGI Houston. We have a set of 40 pages (the required documents) to be notarized!! We haven't gone to the bank yet, but 40 is a huge number and we are apprehensive of the notary officer's reaction to this. Please inform how your experience has been and where did you get the documents notarized? What was the fees, if any?

Thanks

40 pages ? Wow what are you sending ?
You just need to get the following notarised (For the 2nd set just get the notarised copy xeroxed):
1 copy each of your foreign passports:4
1 copy each of the Indian passport being used:4
1 copy each of the PIO card if applicable: (4)
1 copy of each child's birth certificate (or proof of relationship):2

You shouldnt cross 20 pages in any situation !The common documents are not do be double notarised For ex If you were an Indian passport holder and your children are claiming OCI on your basis then you dont have to submit 3 copies of your Indian passport.1 will suffice.You can verify this with the embassy.

As regards the cost it varies.Some banks do have notaries employed that do it for free.Some guys charge $5 a document (of course no chance you will go there).Advice:You go to the bank with one half of documents and send your wife the next day (or to a different branch) with the other half.

When we verified with CGI Houston, they wanted the first and last pages of our passports and certificate of naturalization. Then the count changes to:

1 copy each of your foreign passports:8
1 copy each of the Indian passport being used:8
1 copy each of the cert. of naturalization: 2

as you mentioned, 20 pages. But will photocopying the second set be acceptable to the consulate, has this been verified?

mysticbubbles said:
When we verified with CGI Houston, they wanted the first and last pages of our passports and certificate of naturalization. Then the count changes to:

as you mentioned, 20 pages. But will photocopying the second set be acceptable to the consulate, has this been verified?

In NY thats is acceptable.You can confirm with Houston though.

Why would they require the last page of your US passport ? It has no relevant data.
Also check the common factors.If your children are applying on the basis of your own passport then i do not think you need to send multiple copies of your passport.If your children had their own indian passports then you do not need the birth certificate.

boggavarapu said:
Well, today I checked with Chicago consulate re. 2004 applicants. They informed me that they haven't received anything so far!

OCI Cell (New Delhi) have already confirmed that the 2004 applications have been processed and the cards should be received by the applicants (through their consulates) any day!

It doesn't look like anyone received in the USA so far!!
I contacted the consulate too. I was told that many applications from 2004 will be given letters informing them of the additional papers required to complete. In my case when I went in 2004, I had all the papers with me (old passports, birth certificates etc) but the consulate did not take them.

I always wondered how they could verify the bona fides of the applicants. Seems like our fears are confirmed - MHA has been unable to process 2004 applicants. The ETA given to me was "couple of weeks". Only "some" cards will be issued. The consulate has not got anything yet, however.

mangal969 said:
Are you sure about this ? The MHA meakes clear distinctions between PIO's and PIO card holders.Look at their comparison chart.

Yes very sure. The financial / economic benefits are covered by FEMA and RBI rules. MHA has nothing to do with it. MHA chart is more from immigration point of view - i.e. what you can / cant do while in India. In fact the current definition of NRI as per FEMA “a person resident outside India who is either a citizen of India or a person of Indian Origin".

http://www.femaonline.com/nricorner/nri_defin.htm

So you dont need PIO card to avail the benefits / rights of NRI while you are resident outside India. The PIO card / OCI are helpful only when you want to work / live in India. Else a multi-entry visa holder / PIO card holder and OCI abroad have almost the same priviliges.

I experienced this when I went to my banks, stock broker and the real estate agents - no one bothered whether I had PIO / OCI. My Indian origin was enough.

mangal969 said:
In my opinion if you are going to convert might as well get the OCI card.You'll save $60 v/s taking a PIO card first.
Yes of course. My message was really for those who already hold PIO cards. If you dont have a PIO card go straight for OCI card. And no need to worry of consular protection while in India - it is something theoretical and one in millions may need such protection in the first place. And consular protection does not mean that you break the law of the land and go scot free.

mysticbubbles said:

I am not sure why you need copies of both your US passport and naturalization certificate? I sent a copy of the US passport (notarized) - first two pages.

How many photos needed in total - I know there are two each to be pasted on Part A. Additionally how many photos are needed. And is the size of all photos to be 3.5 * 3.5 ? Are there any other restirctions / guidelines for photos.

basis said:
How many photos needed in total - I know there are two each to be pasted on Part A. Additionally how many photos are needed. And is the size of all photos to be 3.5 * 3.5 ? Are there any other restirctions / guidelines for photos.

5 photos (2 on the applications + 3 to be sent with the application). 35mmx35mm passport color picture with a white background

Some people in the US are able to check the online tracking with their reference nos.Some of the lucky few have received their letters of acceptance.I dont have the details of which embassy or when they have applied .
I unfortuately could not check my online status.

I saw a total of 6 OCI cards and U visas issued by Sydney consulate. All are issued & signed by Counsul in Sydney, but only last page of OCI card it says the place of issue is Canberra. These 6 OCI's are 2005-2006 applicants.

And the long wait continous for 2004 applicants.

fitness99 said:
I am not sure why you need copies of both your US passport and naturalization certificate? I sent a copy of the US passport (notarized) - first two pages.

I remember reading an earlier post about an applicant receiving a call from the consulate asking for the naturalization date. Maybe that's what its for as this info is not in the passport.