India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
umeshunni said:
The IITs have even foreign national professors working there. So, you shouldnt have a problem here.
These are generally visiting professors. The deal here is that they get paid by their home university (e.g. MIT) but do not have a permanent position. In some cases, there may be exceptions for lesser developed countries where the institute pays them, again these are visiting roles, and as Mangal pointed out, taking a permanent union or state post is against the intention of the legislation.

mangal969 said:
Mangal Pandey,
Chill man ! There was a post earlier about the OCI Cards being couriered out on Monday or something(Posts 1291,1203 and 1302).So wait for a week or so and you will definitely get your OCI card & Visa.
Your fellow aussie must be thrilled to get his OCI processed so quickly.Hope mine comes in just as quickly.
But one thing worth asking-Does the government use courier services ? Wouldnt it be easy to send them in a diplomatic pouch in the hands of an Air India pilot to be picked up at the respective airport ? Dont some countries use their national carriers that way ? Would save them a bundle of money and ensure faster turnover times.

I would not trust AirIndia to carry the diplomatic bag. They have the reputation to lose the luggage or the luggage is delivered in a damaged state. :) :)

PIO / OCI are basically foreign nationals of Indian origin. When you go to any hotels / guest house in India there is a register where alongwith all other details your nationality needs to be stated ( atleast that's what I remember).

Now what do you write there ? I am a desi so I dont have to make any effort to look like one and I have caught the accent / looks of westerners / easterners - so on the face no one would be able to tell that I have acquired foriegn citizenship. My question is more from what do people do in practice. And to know whether those registers kept in hotels are something one need to take seriously (from legal point of view) to write nationality etc details.

I am referring to http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/registration_requirements.htm

Form To Be Filled Up By Foreigners Staying At Hotels :

Foreigners visiting India on Tourist Visa and not staying continuously for more than six months in India, are not required to register themselves. However, all foreigners including even tourists and others who are not required to register, are required to fill up a form called Form-C (Rule-14, Registration of Foreigners Rules, 1992) at the time of their stay in any hotel (which includes any boarding-house, club, dak bungalow, rest house, paying guest house, sarai and other premises of like nature). It is the responsibility of the hotel owner to get this form filled up by the foreigner.

Is the above applicable to PIOs / OCIs as well and how tedious is it ?

There is another provision - Report to be made to and by Hotel Keeper:
Rule-14 According to this Rule every hotel keeper/guest house shall submit a copy of the C form duly, filled with the information given by the foreigner in respect of his passport visa and nationality etc. as soon as may be, but not more than twenty four hours of the arrival of the foreigner, to the Registration Officer. If any foreigner is staying with his relatives it is the duty of that person to give report to the nearest police station or Foreigners Registration Officer with full particulars of the foreigners. Non compliance of these instructions/rules are punishable under Section 5 of Registration of Foreigners Act, 1939.

Section 14 This section is a penalty section which is as under : "If any person contravenes the provisions of this Act or of any order made there under, or any direction given in pursuance of this Act or such order, he shall be punished with imprisonment for a period which may extend to five years and shall be liable to fine."

And another thing is can persons of Indian origin with Foriegn passports pay for their hotels in Indian currency.

Last edited by a moderator:
gaurav2005 said:
I got an email from Houston consular office that I need to send thumb impressions for my kids. I had signed for my kids in the application. I wish I had known that earlier. Was it written in the directions any where ?

Anyway I sent them today, hope they dont reject them because they were not very clear. Heads up for everyone who have kids. Its only for kids who cannot sign yet.

Now I received a similar email from SF CGI and asking for the same. That also means they are looking at these. Also they did not ask for anything else meaning the file otherwise looks good I guess.

An interesting piece of information -

Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Amendment Order, 2005

Notification No: SO543(E) Dated 11.04 2005: The Central Government vide Notification No: SO543(E) Dated 11.04 2005 issued by Ministry of Home Affairs notifies the Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Amendment Order, 2005 which seeks to amend the Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Order, 1957. The said order states that the provisions of the Registration of Foreigners Rules, 1992, except rules 5, 9 and 15, shall not apply to or in relation to the persons registered as Overseas Citizens of India under the Citizenship Act, 1955

Does anyone know what these rules 5,9 and 15 are. I think the rule for hotel resgistration form C is Rule 14 so OCIs may be saved therefrom. I am not sure abt PIOs.

PIO's are still "foreigners".The amendment order specifies the exemption is for OCI cardholders only.
So my guess is that PIO card holders would have to register.
As far as you filling the nationality column, you obviously have to fill your primary nationality.PIO does not qualify you as an Indian national.
The hotel owners have to maintain the register for all including Indian nationals.They usually note the driver's license details for the indian nationals.
The only situation where you would be in trouble was if the police had to make specific inquiries about you.
You can pay in rupees or foreign currency if you register as a foreigner.

I emailed the NY consulate last week and even called them today asking about my OCI application to make sure everything is OK and the fact that i have not got my acknowlegdement as yet.
The guy on the phone was very uncooperative and told me nothing more that they would inform me if they found something to be wrong.He hung up before i could ask about the acknowledgement.
Mangal Pandey can you please ask that friend of yours who got his OCI card-Did he ever get an acknowledgement and a number for online tracking ?
Has any of the US applicant got a file number or anything of that sort ?

mangal969 said:
I emailed the NY consulate last week and even called them today asking about my OCI application to make sure everything is OK and the fact that i have not got my acknowlegdement as yet.
The guy on the phone was very uncooperative and told me nothing more that they would inform me if they found something to be wrong.He hung up before i could ask about the acknowledgement.
Mangal Pandey can you please ask that friend of yours who got his OCI card-Did he ever get an acknowledgement and a number for online tracking ?
Has any of the US applicant got a file number or anything of that sort ?

I applied for OCI in Houston office. The cosulate received my application on Jan. 18. I got an email today with link to check the status online. I checked the link with file number and it shows that my application is 'Under Process'.

Yes he got the acknowledgement and no for online tracking. When he checked with that during the mid of Jan., the status showed approved. But when he called the next day they told they haven't recieved the stickers yet. He again called after 2 weeks that's last week and they told to come with the passport to put the sticker. How easy and fast things are done!!

NY consulate seems to be pretty bad.They got my app on the 11th and no email,no acknowledgement,no online tracking and if you call them they dont reply properly.
Anyone in NY have a better experience? Anyone in the world having a worse experience ?

I applied 2 weeks back at Chicago Consulate. They called me twice today - they wanted my naturalization date and again signture for my kids ( minor kids can sign) and extra $2 for mailing charges. The lady who called us was very polite.

Merced said:
I applied for OCI in Houston office. The cosulate received my application on Jan. 18. I got an email today with link to check the status online. I checked the link with file number and it shows that my application is 'Under Process'.
FIle number meaning the number on the form (USAXX0000000) or did they give you a seperate number ?

OCI Progress - Canberra AUS

Hello Everybody,

Have been reading this forum for a while now. Just citing my progress so far. I applied for OCI in the High Commission of Canberra 2 weeks back. The same office had once issued my Indian passport a few years back when I was still an Indian citizen. :p

Well, when I read the forum about whats going on the US embassy's, its really a sorry state. I received my confirmation of application along with file number (which works in the 'Check Status' of MHA website stating as 'Under Process') along with the receipt for the money order which I had sent.

Its written in bold that the whole process may take upto 4 months. Well, one can just hope that the months dont turn to years. :cool:

So long, will keep this post updated. The way the US embassies are working, I think the Sydney and Canberra embassies are a bit better and polite than the US personnel. The phone calls are responded and answered to and the emails as well .... but after 10 days. Thats the best they can do I guess !!

CYA

sg007 ...yes Australian High Commision does better

From my experience in Australia, Australian High commission inner workings is much better than Indian Consulates in US.

Finally I was able to get hold of OCI cell representative in New York. The mailing charges upto 4 people is $15. As long as they can identify the face on the photo it is ok even if the background color is not white. If it is difficult to get 35mmx 35mm photo 2inch by 2inch would be accepted.

Let me see what happens if they adhere to what they say!!! I also included a self addressed stamped envelope, and hope to get the reference number.

Wow ! NY consulate seems to be pretty confused ! My friend called a couple of days prior with the same question and he was told that slight variations in size are OK (2 inches v/s 35 mm) but it has to be in a white background ! ! ! ! He was then told that light grey is also OK but reds and blues will not do.Maybe you should e-mail some other embassies (Chicago,SF,Houston) and ask them !

sg007 this problem seems to be with the NY consulate only.Other embassies seem to be atleast sending acknowledgements or calling up if they found some deficiency in the application !
Dont worry about months turning to years.From a previous post you can see that sydney dec 2005 applicants are already getting their OCI cards.

A heads up: I just called my friend and he recalled the NY embassy.He was told that ANY LIGHT coloured background will be acceptible,but white or light grey is preferred.

What documents a PIO card holder needs to submit for OCI appln ? Is the copy of PIO card is enough ?

basis said:
What documents a PIO card holder needs to submit for OCI appln ? Is the copy of PIO card is enough ?

You have to submit all the reqd documents + the PIO card,as far as i know.
i.e
US Passport,Indian passport (yours or parents) with evidence if required,PIO card.