India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One point i would like to make-Is OCI really that bad ? It is a step in the right direction as far i can see.Dual citizenship will come in the future.
But in the current scenario where dual citizenship is tolerated,i think OCI is a good deal.

OCI Process

mangal969 said:
One point i would like to make-Is OCI really that bad ? It is a step in the right direction as far i can see.Dual citizenship will come in the future.
But in the current scenario where dual citizenship is tolerated,i think OCI is a good deal.

Agreed. However, the way they are trying to do the whole process and making the current applicants feel rather anxious doesn't help at all!!
It sends negative signals to the entire PIO Community! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OCI Operational ?

Here is what is posted in consulate general of India, HOUSTON:

Overseas Citizenship of India Scheme is operational from 2nd December, 2005. The date of acceptance of fresh applications will be announced by the Consulate shortly. Please apply only after the announcement is posted here.

Fresh applications for registration as OCI would be accepted only after disposal of the applications already received in December 2004 - January 2005.

The procedure, Form, Brochure and FAQs are displayed for information.

http://www.cgihouston.org/OverseasCitizenship.html

Looks like it is operational for those folks who applied in 2004-2005. Does this mean we can prepare ourselves filling up the published forms posted online and post them when they open up ?

You can definitely keep things ready for whenever they start.

Filling the form and getting everything ready takes all of 10 minutes :D .But as and when it starts, keeping everything ready gives you a sort of headstart on the many many applications that will flow in.

If you are filing based on your parents Indian nationality,the documentation may be slightly tricky.Better to be ready.
But if you ever had an indian passport,the procedure is fairly straightforward.

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969 said:
What you are quoting is the 2003 amendment.It doesnt exist in the 2005 amendment as far as i know.
2005 extends/amends the 2003 amendment, and I don't think revokes it so 2003 parts are still valid

mangal969 said:
One point i would like to make-Is OCI really that bad ? It is a step in the right direction as far i can see.Dual citizenship will come in the future. But in the current scenario where dual citizenship is tolerated,i think OCI is a good deal.

Now watch and wait as all the limitiations start to come out:

Participation Of NRIs And PIOs In Aviation Sector
http://www.indlawnews.com/D8388C46AD834052C688A521D1BA9734

OCI is good it you want to enter India, (great news for those who got unfairly locked out!) So if you want a nice tourist visa to visit relatives, go for it. But what if you want to do something with it? ... start asking questions "can I do this?" "can I do that" and the answer is "no". Everyday China is in the news because of its unstoppable growth - due largely from foreign investment. What makes me angry is that the govt continues to make it difficult for foreigners, even PIOs to invest. SO WHAT if a PIO wants to invest in anything? What's the big deal? What are they going to do, take all the money away?

Dual citizenship is such an innocuous thing and they could have implemented it 10 years ago. But this is half baked and substantially useless to people who want to use it for something substantial beyond a stamp in a passport.

The scheme for Overseas Citizenship of India(OCI) has been approved by the Parliament ... It has, therefore, been decided to make this scheme operational from 14.11.2005. However, since Austria does not allow dual citizenship with India, this scheme will not be applicable to Austrian nationals. ... for further details and contact EOI, Vienna if any further information is required.

http://www.indianembassy.at/index.php?content=./content/visa-passport/oci.php

Now I am completely confused ...

PIO1 said:

Whats the confusion ?
Austria does not allow dual citizenship in any form.So Austrian nationals cannot apply for OCI (The terminology alone denies the Austrian Indians).
However if there is a person living in Austria that does not have Austrian nationality (like a green card or a visa) he can apply for OCI through this embassy.

They probably will process the applications the fastest... :D

If some Austrian Indian wants OIC maybe he'll move the Supreme court....It may be just the opening that is required for a court clarification on whether OIC qualifies as Dual citizenship.

Countries Which Allow Dual Citizenship:
Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Cyprus, Egypt, El Salvador, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, New Zealand, Pakistan, Portugal, Serbia and Montenegro, South Africa, Spain (only in certain cases), Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tonga (only in certain cases), Turkey, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Samoa.

* Persons retain their former citizenship if they apply to retain it before taking out Australian citizenship.

Countries Which Prohibit Dual Citizenship:
Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Burma, Chile, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Malaysia, Mauritius, Nepal, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

* Iran does not recognise dual citizenship but continues to recognise its citizens as Iranian.
* Note that Germany has recently amended its citizenship laws so that in some exceptional circumstances, dual citizenship is now allowed. Consult the German Foreign Office website for details.
* Also, India announced on 8 January 2002 that it will shortly change its law to allow dual citizenship for Indians settled outside India.

This is a 2002 list.Some countries may have moved around

Does anyone know someone who practices/is knowledgeable in International law ? Maybe he can read the actual act (not the other garbage the government is spewing)and determine if OIC can be called a 'dual citizenship' >>

mangal969 said:
Does anyone know someone who practices/is knowledgeable in International law ? Maybe he can read the actual act (not the other garbage the government is spewing)and determine if OIC can be called a 'dual citizenship' >>

Don't know any international law... but Dual citizenship is the possession of two citizenships simultaneously.

So the question is, is an OCI holder a citizen? International Law regards someone as a citizen of a country, if that country recognises the individual as a citizen.

So the question becomes, does India recognise an OCI holder as a citizen of India? "kaun banega crorepati?"

PIO1 said:
Don't know any international law... but Dual citizenship is the possession of two citizenships simultaneously.

So the question is, is an OCI holder a citizen? International Law regards someone as a citizen of a country, if that country recognises the individual as a citizen.

So the question becomes, does India recognise an OCI holder as a citizen of India? "kaun banega crorepati?"

No - India doesn't want to recognize an OCI holder as an Indian Citizen. That is why there are no voting and other political rights given to OCI.

Although a PIO becomes a 'Overseas Citizen of India' - it really doesnot mean a lot in terms of real Citizenship and it is not at all equivalent to Indian Citizenship. They kind of transformed and tucked the whole concept in the shape of OCI scheme and labelled it as Dual citizenship!!

As this scheme is very new and rather unique for India - it is not yet fully understood by other countries. On the first impression, they seem to think it as dual citizenship but it is a misunderstanding. I am sure they will know it soon.

Finally, if India ever recognizes OCI on par with its Indian Citizen, then they should give a proper Overseas Indian Passport and all other voting and political rights as well (Like China, Pakistan etc.).

What are my choices ?
Forget the choices..... I'd like to use a lifeline:"Phone a friend"
I'd like to phone PM Manmohan Singh ! ! !

:-D :-D

"OCIs would not be entitled to the rights conferred on an Indian citizen under Article 16 of the Constitution with regard to equality of opportunity in matters of public employment and election to cnstitutional offices"

Therefore OCI's are NOT citizens of India and OCI is NOT dual citizenship

satchitanand said:
Happend to come across this link on a recent update on dual citizenship

http://www.indlawnews.com/E8A1C62BA32E22A0BB3D716F3F5EC4C1
This is the date we are waiting for ... 7 Jan. 10 days to go ... Lets see who is first on this forum to get it.

What I would like to know is if 19 Nov, and 2 Dec were the supposed "operational dates" then why did they tell us, when they were only going to process applications from 2004, and those too, after 7 Jan 06, long after the 15 days had expired.

mangal969 said:
What are my choices ?
Forget the choices..... I'd like to use a lifeline:"Phone a friend"
I'd like to phone PM Manmohan Singh ! ! !

:-D :-D

hahaha ...

a) OCI is citizenship
b) OCI is dual citizenship
c) OCI is half citizenship
d) OCI is a visa

the PM says "(b) OCI is dual citizenship" ... sorry! Should have gone for the Supreme Court judge! (Even then, you need a majority of 3 on the constitutional bench it seems!)

Dear Board Members,

We are applying for the PIO card for my son who is one year old. In the PIO card form there is a column asking for two specimen signatures of the applicant? Do we need to take some kind of thumbprint for our son here or can the parents themselves sign the form.

Many Thanks

PIO1 said:
This is the date we are waiting for ... 7 Jan. 10 days to go ... Lets see who is first on this forum to get it.

What I would like to know is if 19 Nov, and 2 Dec were the supposed "operational dates" then why did they tell us, when they were only going to process applications from 2004, and those too, after 7 Jan 06, long after the 15 days had expired.

OCI did go operational on Dec 2.2004 applicants should pursue this.They should atleast get a letter of acceptance with instructions to go for the visa/OCI card.
Normally this would be grounds for a lawsuit but then you'd probably not get your OCI for another 5 years.....

PIO1 said:
hahaha ...

a) OCI is citizenship
b) OCI is dual citizenship
c) OCI is half citizenship
d) OCI is a visa

the PM says "(b) OCI is dual citizenship" ... sorry! Should have gone for the Supreme Court judge! (Even then, you need a majority of 3 on the constitutional bench it seems!)

Well amithabhji wont let me call 3 people.You know what i'll invite the judges to be the audience and take an audience poll !
The government would like us to believe "b" but i would think "c" or "d"....Hopefully a 50:50 would help relieve my confusion

I hope this is the 1 crore question.....I'm using all my lifelines! ! ! !
:D :D :D

negs said:
Dear Board Members,

We are applying for the PIO card for my son who is one year old. In the PIO card form there is a column asking for two specimen signatures of the applicant? Do we need to take some kind of thumbprint for our son here or can the parents themselves sign the form.

Many Thanks

Thumbprint of your son in the boxes since he cannot write or sign his name.

On the signature line, both the parents should sign it.

mangal969 said:
I hope this is the 1 crore question.....I'm using all my lifelines! ! ! !
:D :D :D

;) Used up all your lifelines, but no answer! Many more questions left, such as is OCI constitutional, what rights do you have?... is it possible to live in India for a while without a ration card? And when DC does come, what happens to OCI/PIO holders! The game is rigged - you can't win!