Incorrect status in immigration database = denial of basic rights

tm51

Registered Users (C)
I have been a Green Card holder since mid 2001. I just found out (the hard way, by being denied the right to purchase a certain equipment after the background check performed by the state agency came back negative) that my status in the USCIS database still shows me as "H1B". I spoke to an immigration officer at the local USCIS office; he took a copy of my green card and told me that their system will be updated with my correct status but "it would not be done overnight"... I did not get any case #, receipt,... nothing. I have no way of knowing if it will happen and when...

What else should I do? Should I send a letter to my service center? Should I use form G-731 (I am not too sure this one is the most appropriate) to formally request the update?

Anyone with similar situation/experience?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I have been a Green Card holder since mid 2001. I just found out (the hard way, by being denied the right to purchase a certain equipment after the background check performed by the state agency came back negative) that my status in the USCIS database still shows me as "H1B". I spoke to an immigration officer at the local USCIS office; he took a copy of my green card and told me that their system will be updated with my correct status but "it would not be done overnight"... I did not get any case #, receipt,... nothing. I have no way of knowing if it will happen and when...

What else should I do? Should I send a letter to my service center? Should I use form G-731 (I am not too sure this one is the most appropriate) to formally request the update?

Anyone with similar situation/experience?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
--- did you updated SSA office after you got your GC in 2001 and got new SSN card??

--- did you updated SSA office after you got your GC in 2001 and got new SSN card??

Good point. I'm a little confused how someone could check your USCIS record as a part of background check. These records are typically "off-limits" for such routine investigations.

My 2c......

My gut feeling is that particular company has checked your SSN status (companies can do that), which was not updated and linked you with your previous immigration status.

Please correct your SSN status. Look at one of the threads here (Life After GC?) that has detailed instructions how to go about doing it.

You did a right thing by contacting USCIS right away. Make info-pass appointment and follow this up closely. IO officer should be able to tell you right away if your USCIS record is in order. I would not waste time on 1-800 line.

Two takeaway points:

1) This is a great example showing that changing your status with SSA could be quite useful.
2) USCIS records are the most important and if you are not in the computer.....that is a problem

Good luck!

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer or an immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your acitons.

Last edited by a moderator:
by being denied the right to purchase a certain equipment after the background check performed by the state agency came back negative

Let me guess, didn't let you buy a certain piece of equipment that goes BANG? :)

Give them a few weeks, and try again.

Let me guess, didn't let you buy a certain piece of equipment that goes BANG? :)

Give them a few weeks, and try again.

Good guess! Yes, the Firearms Division does a background check and queries the CIS database to retrieve one's immigrant status.

BTW, I went to the USCIS local office today with my wife to determine if her status was also incorrect...and yes it was! (why am I not surprised?)
The immigration officer requested both our files to be sent to the local office (from the National Service Center I suppose) so that they could correct the error.

Good guess! Yes, the Firearms Division does a background check and queries the CIS database to retrieve one's immigrant status.

BTW, I went to the USCIS local office today with my wife to determine if her status was also incorrect...and yes it was! (why am I not surprised?)
The immigration officer requested both our files to be sent to the local office (from the National Service Center I suppose) so that they could correct the error.
Local office has to get file back from National Records Center in Lee's Summit, MO that is responsible for centralizing immigration file holdings and serving immigration file needs.you may have to wait about 25-40 days. file transfer takes about 15-25 days, better go to Local USCIS again after 30 days and ask for the update or corrections.

Two days ago, I got a phone call from the Immigration Officer (local USCIS) who is taking care of my file and he told me that my record had been updated and that I was therefore "good to go". Surprisely, it took only 16 days to complete the whole process! Amazing...I still can't believe it...

Two days ago, I got a phone call from the Immigration Officer (local USCIS) who is taking care of my file and he told me that my record had been updated and that I was therefore "good to go". Surprisely, it took only 16 days to complete the whole process! Amazing...I still can't believe it...

Good to hear. Happy shooting, and remember your gun safety.