*** In Our Litigation, Court Finds Govts' Language Inappropriate ***

While Defendants’ correction of their errors is to be applauded, this type of ad hoc rule-making by Defendants has created and continues to create an atmosphere of uncertainty for the putative class members, whose entire lives depend upon the ill-considered and illegal practices of Defendants. The egregious injustice of this environment is further compounded by the fact that putative class members have no effective way to seek vindication of their legal rights through the Defendants.

So, true. CIS is not proactive, it wants others to find its problems and even suggest solutions. They are fixing I-485 employment based processing problems only because we filed the law-suit. Its not just I-485 applicants problem, its all CIS customers problem. CIS needs to improve its service quality, fix itself and provide good service for the $$ we are paying.

I wish that day is not too far, let people take this lawsuit as an example and fight for their right to get the service.

Wow!!!!

operations said:
There is a reference to the memos in our opposition, quote:

Defendants have settled into a practice of .................
members have no effective way to seek vindication of their legal rights through the Defendants.

The exhibits are attached here below
Wow!! Thank you very much Rajiv. I'm impressed you found the time to post a reply in such detail. Even if most of it was copy and paste, you still took the time and trouble of going through an existing document to cull the relevant portions. Thanks again. :)

markandeyulu said:
Good Luck! people willwork at thier own pace and they might change the book of law accordingly. My sincere advise ....please dont go tooo ahead of yourselves. Just apply for your greencard and relax. This case cannot be any accelerator or a catalyst for your greencard process.

Hi markandeyulu,

I read your history, this mail especially from you is 'unbelievable'.
I am surprised how a person like you, who was treated so badly could be so lackadaisical.
I agree 'foregiveness' is the best 'revenge'. But 'inaction' is the worst 'sin'.
I don't know why you are saying what you are saying, there must be a reason which I am not aware of. I doubt if you would have done anything if the security guys had 'Kept you in jail, and relaxed'. I guess it is considered 'smart' to let others fight for everyone's right, and 'enjoy' the fruits of their labor. I see plenty of examples floating around like that, but it takes tremendous amount of 'guts to fight for a cause. Atleast appreciate what Rajiv is doing. If you cannot, you should atleast not pass such comments.

Have a nice day.

Memorandum not open for feedback from stakeholders

operations said:
There is a reference to the memos in our opposition, quote:

Defendants have settled into a practice of administering laws through ill-conceived and illegal ad hoc memoranda, issued in lieu of regulations, without inviting input from the stakeholders. During the pendency of the case at bar, Defendants, without any consultation with any of the stakeholders, issued a memorandum that, inter alia, violates AC21. During the deposition of Ms. Fujie Ohata, Plaintiffs specifically asked if any input was invited from the stakeholders before issuance of the Ohata Memorandum. Ms. Ohata admitted that no input from any of the stakeholders was invited:
Page 48:
Q. Very good. When a regulation, federal regulation is drafted, it is first issued—or it is first published in the Federal Register for public and stakeholders to comment upon. That way, we, the stakeholders, get our input into your process. But an Ohata memorandum, or a memorandum like this are never offered for public comment; is that correct?
A. Not generally.
Q. Ohata memorandum was not offered for public comment specifically?
A. Not that I know of.
(Ohata Dep. Page 48.)

Page 63:
Q. For the Yates memorandum, did you invite any input from the stakeholders?
A. Not that I know of. This is policy memorandum and we don’t generally ask for input from any stakeholders.
(Ohata Dep. Page 63.)

Attached hereto is Exhibit I, a more detailed extract from the deposition of Ms. Fujie Ohata, Director of Service Center Operations, USCIS.
As submitted earlier, Ohata Memorandum dated March 31, 2004 (Exhibit 1 from deposition conducted on August 26, 2004) was brought into effect without offering the same to the general public for notice and comments. This memorandum modified the earlier adjudicative process for concurrently filed I-140 and I-485s. The memorandum stated that for purposes of measuring and reporting local processing time for these forms, the local I-140 processing time will control and a concurrently filed I-485 will no longer be tracked based upon the local I-485 processing time. Attached please Exhibit J, copy of the Ohata Memorandum dated March 31, 2004. Plaintiffs contend that such tracking and reporting devices are a part of Defendants’ creative accounting to promote an appearance of backlog reduction.
During depositions, Plaintiffs questioned Ms. Ohata about the discretion that had been left in the hands of the Service Center Directors to discontinue prima facie processing of any case that they chose. Please refer to Exhibit K, copy of the extract of Ms. Ohata’s deposition conducted on August 26, 2004, part of which is reproduced below:

Q. In this context, in the context of this question, the Service Center Director has an absolute discretion to discontinue concurrent processing if they so choose; is that correct?
A. It says may discontinue to do prima facie review. Prima facie review. Not discontinue concurrent filing.
(Ohata Dep. Page 52.)
It appears that as a direct result of the questions asked by Plaintiffs, Defendants issued a follow-up memorandum directed only to the issue raised in the deposition. Attached hereto is Exhibit L, copy of the memorandum dated September 16, 2004, issued by the Defendants. While Defendants’ correction of their errors is to be applauded, this type of ad hoc rule-making by Defendants has created and continues to create an atmosphere of uncertainty for the putative class members, whose entire lives depend upon the ill-considered and illegal practices of Defendants. The egregious injustice of this environment is further compounded by the fact that putative class members have no effective way to seek vindication of their legal rights through the Defendants.

The exhibits are attached here below

A lot suprised here that Ohata/Yates memorandum were not open for comments from stakeholders...At least they should have asked the AILA community for comments...AILA I thought was the only conduit from the outside world into the USCIS..but this doesnt seem so....or is it ?

Having said that ...Personally many thanks to Rajiv for your effort

Rick

Processing ND May 31st 2002 or May 1st 2002?

NSC - I-485 Currently processing applications with ND May 31st 2002

When Can I Call The National Customer Service Center?

If you filed your case 30 days or more before the date shown under the heading “Processing Cases with Receipt Date of” and you have not received a request for evidence, a decision, or another notice in the last thirty days, please call our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

If you received a request for evidence and you responded more than 60 days ago and have not received a decision, please call our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

Why does USCIS say they are processing applications as of May 31st 2002 when applications with prior ND are still pending?

They are approving applications with ND 2003 or ND 2004. Then why don't they say they are processing applications with ND 2004 and One has to call Customer Service If a case is filed 360 days or more before the ND 2003 OR ND 2004?

Does this not come under any violation of any laws?

Last edited by a moderator:
What can you

HTML:
 <quote>Does this not come under any violation of any laws?</quote>

What you are going to do even if this is a violation of law :) ? File a lawsuit right? That is what we are trying to do here.

Perjury

While deposing in front of the judge, the BCIS official denied that there were definite labor/manpower shortages.
If you call BCIS hotline asking why the case is delayed, they say it is due to lack of manpower.
We should tape it and let the judge hear it. Then ask for perjury charge against the BCIS official.

Is this possible.

vi00 said:
While deposing in front of the judge, the BCIS official denied that there were definite labor/manpower shortages.
If you call BCIS hotline asking why the case is delayed, they say it is due to lack of manpower.
We should tape it and let the judge hear it. Then ask for perjury charge against the BCIS official.

Is this possible.

That is a bright idea. Let's see if Rajiv likes it. But do they always give the manpower reason?

Fyi

A recent post from http://www.immigration-law.com/...

11/05/2004: USCIS Workload Created by EAD Processing and Unimplemented Regulation Lifting "One-Year"Limit

* On July 20, 2004, the USCIS published an Interim Regulation lifting one-year validity of EAD. If people look at the montly statistics of the USCIS workload, EAD takes a large part of the USCIS workload. We thought that the USCIS had decided to lift the one-year valid EAD policy to relieve themselves from the immigration benefits processing backlogs.
* The regulation took effect on July 30, 2004. However, the regulation appears to remain in a "dormant" state not being implemented. There is some indication that the implementation of the regulation may be delayed in consideration of its negative impact on the USCIS revenue generated by the filing fees.
* Obviously, the Service must have weighted the advantages and disadvantages of the change and attempted to balance between the reduction of workloads and the reduction of the revenue. Besides, the change also serves public interest. Thus reduction of workloads and serving public interest should have outweighted the decreased revenue in enacting this new policy. However, the regulation has not been implemented for the past three and a half months! Considering the fact that FY 2005 budget for the USCIS increased $60,000,000 for the backlog reduction over the FY 2004 budget, one wonders why the new policy has yet to be implemented. EAD application fee has already jumped from $120 to $175. We hope to see this regulation implemented in the very near future!

Lca and NJGUY,

Guys , just to let you know that I am on the same boat as that of you.........

As some of you are very curious.....I'm Neither a GC holder nor a desi recriuter and last but not the least .... not negative thinker....... But certainly very practical.......

I repeat......"Always be prepared for the unusual and not get ahead of yourself"

Good Luck !

As of Nov 8 2004, CSC has jumped to 2004
whereas TSC,NSC are stuck in 2002 and VSC in 2003

Is this what people refer to as the Green card Lottery?

Can't they do something abt the backlog ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us see

pb74 said:
That is a bright idea. Let's see if Rajiv likes it. But do they always give the manpower reason?

First we need to see if we are still in court. During the pendency of this case, ALL plaintiffs have been approved. That may not be a big issue, but it is an issue. We have a list of 36 more potential plaintiffs. Let us see what the court says.

hrithikroshan11 said:
Whoa CSC has jumped to 2004 while all other service centers VSC, TSC and NSC are backlogged huge. Can't they try to improve processing at all service centers instead of just focussing on one?

It's just the date that has jumped, the applications that are being processed have been far lagging that date.

And on top of this, there is talk of retrogressing the priority date. It can work out well since the people who got first in the line, 'can' get their GC as per their position in the queue. But it all depends on the sincerity of CIS. Clearly, they are only interested in publishing results more than doing the actual work.

I also think that lifting a year limit on EAD expiration is not working because extending EADs is the (new) way CIS earns more $$.

operations said:
First we need to see if we are still in court. During the pendency of this case, ALL plaintiffs have been approved. That may not be a big issue, but it is an issue. We have a list of 36 more potential plaintiffs. Let us see what the court says.
Rajiv,

Do we need to add more plaintiffs now? Just let us know if necessary, I will join. BTW, Do you think how long we need to wait for final decision from court? We are really exhausted with NSC's processing speed.

Hold on guys

hrithikroshan11 said:
Yes but people are getting 485 in California including those who filed in 2004. Why cant other service centers take a leaf from CSC and apply similar process to improve the processing times?

The pilot program in CSC has been a success, isnt it about time that they apply that to other service centers also? How long do they need to find the effects of the pilot program (launched in April) before they can apply it everywhere?

Even if we get the class, do not expect quick results. CIS has already decided to fight us every step of the way. they do not wish to settle. So, hang tight.

amrcn_attd said:
Hi markandeyulu,

I read your history, this mail especially from you is 'unbelievable'.
I am surprised how a person like you, who was treated so badly could be so lackadaisical.
I agree 'foregiveness' is the best 'revenge'. But 'inaction' is the worst 'sin'.
I don't know why you are saying what you are saying, there must be a reason which I am not aware of. I doubt if you would have done anything if the security guys had 'Kept you in jail, and relaxed'. I guess it is considered 'smart' to let others fight for everyone's right, and 'enjoy' the fruits of their labor. I see plenty of examples floating around like that, but it takes tremendous amount of 'guts to fight for a cause. Atleast appreciate what Rajiv is doing. If you cannot, you should atleast not pass such comments.

Have a nice day.

amrcn_attd:

I have a great respect for the team & certianly appreciate all the team/hardwork done here....

I was predicting a possible outcome....
I may be wrong ....but I doubt it..

We will assess

hrithikroshan11 said:
Rajeev,

Agreed that they have decided to fight every step of the lawsuit. But your and everyone else's efforts are bringing some good results, e.g. EADs and APs are now taking a month or two instead of several months. The processing times at CSC is now less than 10 months.

Isn't it time that we impress upon the judge the need to apply similar measures to other service centers as well so that everyone can benefit? Afterall, the pilot program was launched to test the process, and now we know that it works afterall. So, shouldn't the pilot program and other great ideas be expanded now to VSC, TSC and NSC as well?

We will try our best. Hang tight.