in-laws on visitor visa got different stamps, one 6months the other 3months, what to do?

blade_runner

Registered Users (C)
At POE (Phoenix) my FIL got 6months stamp while MIL got 3months..
They didn't notice this till much later..
Has anyone faced this kind of situation?
Is filing an extension the only option?
MIL needs to stay for 6months..
Any tips/feedback?
thanks

Filing for extension is the only option. Include FIL's I-94 copy with supporting documentation and write a cover letter explaining the different dates.

What are the expiration dates of the Passports? That may be a reason that cannot be overcome by filing an I-539.

passport expiry dates are well into the future..
a couple of followup questions:
1. does filing an extension adversely affect the probability of getting 6month stamps in the future.
2. does a trip to say canada/mexico (in the next few days) help in getting a 6month stamp (keeping in mind that FIL/MIL just arrived and FIL got 6months stamp while MIL only got 3months stamp)
thanks..

Go to the nearest CBP office and contact deferred inspedtion section. Explain the problem. They will issue your MIL a new I94 with the same date as your FIL

A1: That depends on the result of the I-539 and also what action your MIL takes if rejected.
A2: Worst case, MIL surrenders her I-94 on the way out and then is denied re-entry.

1. does filing an extension adversely affect the probability of getting 6month stamps in the future.
2. does a trip to say canada/mexico (in the next few days) help in getting a 6month stamp (keeping in mind that FIL/MIL just arrived and FIL got 6months stamp while MIL only got 3months stamp)

True, but the folks at deferred inspection site are not in any shape or form obliged to issue the OP's mother-in-alw a new I-94. You usage of the word "will" is too optimistic and misleading. A better option would have been to use "may". They may easily tell the OP's mother-in-law , "Sorry, no can do". On the other hand, they may do exactly what you are saying.

There are 70 Deferred Inspections Sites throughout the United States and the outlying territories. These sites provide assistance to those individuals who at the time of entry into the United States were scheduled for a deferred inspection or believe that the documentation and corresponding endorsements issued at the port of entry require review and possible correction.

It has been done earlier on many times and I have posted the same in this forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Will it not be easier for the OP to visit his nearest CBP office and try his luck in a day rather than applying for an extension and wait for 2 to 3 months. If the CBP office says no then he can apply for an extension. In my opinion trial costs nothing.

They can always try it. No harm. Worst case, they (officers at the deferred inspection site) may decrease the I-94 from 3 months to 1 months if they bump into someone not having a good day :)

Will it not be easier for the OP to visit his nearest CBP office and try his luck in a day rather than applying for an extension and wait for 2 to 3 months. If the CBP office says no then he can apply for an extension. In my opinion trial costs nothing.

No chance. I know 2 or 3 cases of the same nature as mentioned by OP and CBP office gave 6 months stay with corrected I 94 It happened in Dallas.

thanks for the reply.
it is good to know about this option..
for now we were thinking of waiting till 45 days before the 3month expiry to file the extension.. this is definitely something i'll look into..
regards.

No chance. I know 2 or 3 cases of the same nature as mentioned by OP and CBP office gave 6 months stay with corrected I 94 It happened in Dallas.

thanks for the reply.
it is good to know about this option..
for now we were thinking of waiting till 45 days before the 3month expiry to file the extension.. this is definitely something i'll look into..
regards.
Please go immediately to your nearest CBP and do not wait. Please post your experience afterwards.

Please go immediately to your nearest CBP and do not wait. Please post your experience afterwards.

went to phoenix cbp, but the i-94 is not in the system yet.. need to try again in a couple of weeks..
they sounded helpful though. will post again later.

got the i-94 extended to 6mo at phx cbp!
thanks for the very useful tip..
do we have an faq on this forum? this is a good candidate to be included there..

Happy that your job is done successfully and you have posted that in this forum. Many others of similar nature of problem will be benifited.