Impact of accepting Canadian citizenship while on US GC on US Citizenship

dhirendra_sh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Can a Indian national who recently became a US permanent resident accept Canadian citizenship ?

Does it impact future US citizenship in any way ?

Thanks

No problem.

Logistically, there are some short-term residency IN canada requirements (on top of the long-term ones that you probably have already met), of course, so as long as you are not accused by CBP of living in Canada without having taken the appropriate Re-entry Permit steps, you should be fine.

I am in a similar situation but I am hearing conflicting view points. As per one thread I have been informed this is not allowed. Here is my time line
Here is the sequence
1) I lived in Canada completed my residency requirements for citizenship and then applied while living in Canada for citizenship
2) While the process for citizenship was happening ( 8 months into it), my US GC got approved. There was no way to predict that due to US backlog issues
3) Now I moved to US permanently since my intent is to reside in the US
4) I plan to write to CIC that I would like to complete my citizenship since I am halfway in that process. CIC takes 15 months to complete it.
5) So based on this can I complete Canadian citizenship? Will US have an issue? My concern was while traveling abroad when they swipe the card is there anything in there that lets them know my original country of citizenship and if I go through with this will they have an issue with it?

What I have been informed on other prominent forum is that you have to give either US or Canadian residency. Can anyone comment on this?

What I have been informed on other prominent forum is that you have to give either US or Canadian residency. Can anyone comment on this?
Eventually you will run into trouble if you try to keep both permanent resident statuses for too long. One side or the other will someday force you to choose. But you can have Cdn citizenship and US GC forever.

Your US green card status has been granted to you, the person, not to your citizenship. You fulfilled your Canadian citizenship requirments while in Canada and then applied for it. You stayed for another 8 months in Canada and then moved to the US. Now your Canadian PR status will stay intact for 2 years from the time you left Canada. As long as your Canadian citizenship process is completed while you still are a Canadian PR, you are good. USCIS will care less if your citizenship changes from Indian to Canadian. There is a reason that place of birth (which does not change) is written on your GC and not your citizenship.

5) So based on this can I complete Canadian citizenship? Will US have an issue? My concern was while traveling abroad when they swipe the card is there anything in there that lets them know my original country of citizenship and if I go through with this will they have an issue with it?

There is a reason that place of birth (which does not change) is written on your GC and not your citizenship.
The country of birth is indeed written on the Green Card, but the country of citizenship is also written in the MRZ of the Green Card in ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 format. When the Green Card is swiped through the optical reader, it will display the country of citizenship, not birth. I do not know how critical the change of citizenship with respect to the US permanent resident status is, but I would assume not too critical.

Wherever did you get the idea that Australians can automatically live and work in the UK?

Australians can't automatically live and work in the UK or Canada or any other Commonwealth country for that matter. We have to qualify to migrate there in exactly the same way as a person from any other country and that's the way it should be.

Being from a Commonwealth country provides not a single immigration benefit if someone wants to live in Australia and it quite rightly also applies if an Australian wants to live elsewhere.

Having said the above, it occurs to me that you may have a Working Holiday visa in mind. If that's the case and you're aged between 18 and 30, you can get a 12 (or sometimes a 24 month) visa that allows you to live and work in countries that have working holiday arrangements with Australia. The UK and Canada have such arrangements, but you must leave when your WH visa expires - you are definitely not eligible to stay longer or apply for citizenship.