Immigration Process Easier than getting my SSN

Canuck_in_Cali

Registered Users (C)
Yesterday I was approved at my meeting for my GC. The IO stamped my passport with the I-551. At the interview, I updated my last name to my married name. When we filed I used my maiden name because all of my documentation outside of our marriage certificate shows my maiden name. The IO said my card would reflect my married name and should get it within 2 weeks.

So today I went to the SS website. I wanted to see what non-citizens need to apply for a card. Form I-551 was required so I called their 1-800 number to see if my I-551 stamp was acceptable (which says, "EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED"). The lady said yes, so I headed to the office.

I had a knowledgeable guy at the office and when I told him I had a stamp and had called to see if it was ok before coming to the office he says, "What they probably didn't tell you is that you have to wait about 21 days after you're approved because recently USCIS/USDHS have been issuing a GC and a SSN."

He doesn't want to create a new SSN for me when USCIS/USDHS might be creating an account for me. Which makes sense to me - having 2 accounts could really create a headache.

Also important to note, as I stated above, I changed my name yesterday at the interview. He looked at my alien # in his database and saw my application with my maiden name and the status is pending. Before he can issue a card, he says my married name needs to be in their database because the SSN and immigration info must match up. Even if I get my GC in the mail in two weeks, I still should wait 1 more week to see if a SSN is issued by USCIS/USDHS.

He also wasn't sure if his database will show my married name at all (even if I received the GC). This is the point where I tend to doubt his knowledge. Surely if my card will say my married name, so would the database.

Anyway, he told me not to update my passport (which is in my maiden name) because this will be the only acceptable photo ID the SS office can take and it must keep my maiden name in the event the database doesn't change.

So he's saying I could receive a GC with the married name, yet their database might show my maiden name.

Also, legally in California, I have to apply for a driver's license within 10 days of becoming a resident. You need a SSN to do this. He could provide me with some denial letter which would state I cannot get a SSN a this time but am eligible for a driver's license. He can't issue it in my married name, because, again, their database shows my maiden. I want my driver's license to show my married name, and he is inclined to agree with me, so he said I should wait for the SSN to work out before getting my DL.

Most importantly, again, has anyone heard of USCIS/USDHS issuing a SSN to a new resident?

I'd rather have hurdles with the SS than with immigration, surely, but I found this all very interesting.

I don't think it's true. you don't have to worry about it unless you are driving.

Well, yes, obviously. I wanted to apply for my driver's license so I could continue to drive, which I've been doing legally as I was a visitor with a British Columbia driver's license.

I had my passport stamped on 2/7 (still haven't received the actual GC in the mail) and went to apply for the SS card on 2/22. There are issues with how USCIS has my name in the computer no matter how many times I've had it corrected. The lady at the SSA office accepted my application but said they need to have my name verified with USCIS before I get the card and she encouraged me to call them to have it the right way. I got a letter from them telling me about the call haha a few days ago and today one from the SSA stating that I will get the card within 2 weeks and if I don't receive it then I need to call them blah, blah :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes, obviously. I wanted to apply for my driver's license so I could continue to drive, which I've been doing legally as I was a visitor with a British Columbia driver's license.

You probably established residence (based on the state's criteria) a long time ago, I guess.

You probably established residence (based on the state's criteria) a long time ago, I guess.

I don't believe I did. From dmv.ca.gov:

Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

None of that applies to me at all.

I had stated above that I believed my ability to have driven up to now was legal because, I followed these guidelines:

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

But, my biggest issue isn't driving. I can do without that for now. My issue is whether anyone has heard about immigration issuing SSN to new residents?

Has anyone heard of Homeland Security issuing new residents a social security number??

I believe that when an immigrant visa holder makes his/her first entry to the US, part of the process is to forward the data to SSA. I don't believe this occurs for I-485 applicants, though.

I believe that when an immigrant visa holder makes his/her first entry to the US, part of the process is to forward the data to SSA. I don't believe this occurs for I-485 applicants, though.

I agree with this assessment. As far as I know USCIS does not send any info for an SSN to be made. They do register aliens with the SSS though.

Thanks guys. I think I'll call a different office (since this information was confirmed by my office's supervisor) and see what they say. No where on the USCIS site does it say to not apply for a SSN.