Immigration Customs enforcement took my Green Card and passport

RodgerH

Registered Users (C)
I have been in this country for almost 10 years with a green card and it's about to expire next month.
Never been in trouble with the law and have been gainfully self employed.
Had every intention to apply for citizenship but never got around to it.

Early this year federal officers came to my home with a warrant and took my computers, phone, green card and passport, I was never arrested or charged with an offense, so I am now without an ID (no drivers license either).

I would like to apply for citizenship but have not a clue what to do without the documents they took.

What should i do?

Thanks for any replies.
Rodger

When did this happen? Did you contact the federal office? What was the warrant for? You should talk to a lawyer ASAP.

was ptstrai

When did this happen? Did you contact the federal office? What was the warrant for? You should talk to a lawyer ASAP.

This happened about 9 months ago... I didn't contact them but contacted a criminal lawyer who suggested i should "wait and see"... But I have herd nothing at all from ICE, except a letter to fill out if I want my things back when they are finished with them. But again my lawyer suggested I not reply to them.

No it was not robbery as the officers had proper ID (and guns to back it up) and the Warrant is indeed legitimate according to my lawyer... complete with case number.

Unfortunately my lawyer is not an immigration lawyer, so it appears I need to find one... any suggestions?

You can start here with Rajiv. Why did your lawyer suggest that you not respond? What is the warrant in relation to?

Apparently he believes they didn't have enough to press a case... in other words "don't remind them" by trying to communicate and you may not hear from them again...

The warrant... too embarrassing for me to repeat

You're here anonymously, RodgerH. The point of this is so that you can speak freely.

Well in that case, do not expect anyone here to attempt to help you.

Indeed, even though I am “anonymous” that fact should be of some comfort, but please understand that everyone is different, and I find it difficult to disclose the subject of the warrant in a public forum.

I truly thought given all other information already disclosed I could find some direction or encouragement.

Again. thanks for your help.

Well, I actually don't know for sure that someone can help you even if you disclose the reason for the warrant. You do not have to tell us. All I am saying is that if you do, there is practically no chance for us to find out who you are. People might judge you, of course, but this happens all the time. Even your attorney might judge you. Anyway, it's up to you. It just seems to be quite complicated, so a lawyer would be best.

Well, I actually don't know for sure that someone can help you even if you disclose the reason for the warrant. You do not have to tell us. All I am saying is that if you do, there is practically no chance for us to find out who you are. People might judge you, of course, but this happens all the time. Even your attorney might judge you. Anyway, it's up to you. It just seems to be quite complicated, so a lawyer would be best.

Indeed it would be silly of me not to disclose the details to a lawyer, and he may form his own judgment... after all he is only human.

I just don't feel comfortable discussing the details in a public forum... irregardless of the notion that no one can find out who I am... again I only ask your understanding.
But with that in mind, it is the usual, when someone ominously posts “Well in that case, do not expect anyone here to attempt to help you.”... usually the result is... no one does.

So again thanks for your help, I will attempt to find an immigration lawyer... hopefully one who won’t judge me unkindly.

But with that in mind, it is the usual, when someone ominously posts “Well in that case, do not expect anyone here to attempt to help you.”... usually the result is... no one does.
Yes. it is usual. Looks like your case is complicated and without details nobody can give an advice.

Take a space shuttle to the moon! Don't even dream of applying for citizenship in the USA on planet Earth.

I have been in this country for almost 10 years with a green card and it's about to expire next month.
Never been in trouble with the law and have been gainfully self employed.
Had every intention to apply for citizenship but never got around to it.

Early this year federal officers came to my home with a warrant and took my computers, phone, green card and passport, I was never arrested or charged with an offense, so I am now without an ID (no drivers license either).

I would like to apply for citizenship but have not a clue what to do without the documents they took.

What should i do?

Thanks for any replies.
Rodger

pretty sure most of us have figured out why they took your "computer". also, disclosing you warrant means nothing if you havent actually committed the crime and therefore charged and convicted.

if you have committed the crime i think the warrant is for, please dont apply for citizenship, we dont need you here.

if not, then go to the federal office and ask for your stuff back.

Sex tourist?

I thing they investigating you.There might a some security issue.If you are OK with yourself then you do not need to be worried.But you should go to the concern authority and clarify yourself.I thing still they are not clear about you when thy will they surly contact you.

Your lawyer is expensive ? According to me, it's better to consult the another best and well experienced lawyer for solving your problem as early as possible. How you are living without green card and licence, it was really embracing moment.