I'm new to this forum this is my first thread can you guys please help me?

M

mnprtltt

I had an citizenship interview in san francisco around october i had one arrest but the charges were dropped and i had proof with me on that from the court with the court seal on the paper i also had a lawyer present with me, i passed the civics test with flying colors also the reading and writing part. Then came the good moral character part the officer asked me have i ever been arrested before i told him "Yes" then he asked me about "do you drive" i told him i did and then he asked if i have any unpaid tickets i told him i did one for a red light and one for no seat belt he asked me the amount i told him that i don't really remember but i told him a rough estimate then he told me can you send us proof that you paid these tickets i told him sure after that he said you will get a letter in the mail i got a letter in the mail and said i was denied. I filed a appeal before the time period ran out to do one. I had a total of 8 tickets of my 5 year driving record but they were all paid for expect those two that i brought up to him one of the 8 tickets were a marijuana ticket that i got when i was a minor (17) i totally forgot that i had gotten that and didn't tell the officer about it. My lawyer sent that ticket and proof it was paid in my appeal letter with a statement on what happened i just got a letter from the immigration on Tuesday March 6th 2012 that says "You are scheduled for a hearing at 10am the proceeding will take about 2 hours" I dug up all the 8 tickets that i had gotten and i have proof that i paid all of them from the court so now i don't have any unpaid tickets and those are the only ones showing up in my 5 year driving history from the DMV. Do you guys have any idea on what i should expect in my appeal hearing? or by any chance know what kind of questions they will ask me? i'm getting so nervous and scared that they will deny me again or say "you will receive a letter in the mail" which usually is a nice way of telling someone that they are denied..

I had an citizenship interview in san francisco around october i had one arrest but the charges were dropped and i had proof with me on that from the court with the court seal on the paper i also had a lawyer present with me, i passed the civics test with flying colors also the reading and writing part. Then came the good moral character part the officer asked me have i ever been arrested before i told him "Yes" then he asked me about "do you drive" i told him i did and then he asked if i have any unpaid tickets i told him i did one for a red light and one for no seat belt he asked me the amount i told him that i don't really remember but i told him a rough estimate then he told me can you send us proof that you paid these tickets i told him sure after that he said you will get a letter in the mail i got a letter in the mail and said i was denied. I filed a appeal before the time period ran out to do one. I had a total of 8 tickets of my 5 year driving record but they were all paid for expect those two that i brought up to him one of the 8 tickets were a marijuana ticket that i got when i was a minor (17) i totally forgot that i had gotten that and didn't tell the officer about it. My lawyer sent that ticket and proof it was paid in my appeal letter with a statement on what happened i just got a letter from the immigration on Tuesday March 6th 2012 that says "You are scheduled for a hearing at 10am the proceeding will take about 2 hours" I dug up all the 8 tickets that i had gotten and i have proof that i paid all of them from the court so now i don't have any unpaid tickets and those are the only ones showing up in my 5 year driving history from the DMV. Do you guys have any idea on what i should expect in my appeal hearing? or by any chance know what kind of questions they will ask me? i'm getting so nervous and scared that they will deny me again or say "you will receive a letter in the mail" which usually is a nice way of telling someone that they are denied..

The biggest concern would be 'marijuana ticket'. you may want to share more details on that and ask questions specific to that in this forum..

Also since you were represented by attorney, did you consult him on your hearing and what to expect etc? Often times, Immigration attorneys are not well verse with criminal aspects so they could/couldn't give good advise. On this forum, I have read some of the postings of BigJoe5 and he is very good when it comes to this kind of situations.. See if he could shed more light on it else you may want to consult 1 or 2 immigration attorneys.

Good Luck,

The biggest concern would be 'marijuana ticket'. you may want to share more details on that and ask questions specific to that in this forum..

Also since you were represented by attorney, did you consult him on your hearing and what to expect etc? Often times, Immigration attorneys are not well verse with criminal aspects so they could/couldn't give good advise. On this forum, I have read some of the postings of BigJoe5 and he is very good when it comes to this kind of situations.. See if he could shed more light on it else you may want to consult 1 or 2 immigration attorneys.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the help osheth i got the ticket when i was a minor it was like a gram but does't say on the ticket it was in my car but it was my friends since i was the driver i got fined for it and i only had my drivers permit and my parents had to come pick me up along with the car.

would i have to do the civics questions all over again? i passed them in my first interview along with the reading and writing part.

Thanks for the help osheth i got the ticket when i was a minor it was like a gram but does't say on the ticket it was in my car but it was my friends since i was the driver i got fined for it and i only had my drivers permit and my parents had to come pick me up along with the car.

What was the charge and were you arrested? Did you put you under any probation or anything like that? In nutshell, did it lead to any criminal charges or simple traffic citation?

What was the charge and were you arrested? Did you put you under any probation or anything like that? In nutshell, did it lead to any criminal charges or simple traffic citation?

I wasn't arrested or put under any probation. just got a ticket and when i went to court it was reduced to an infraction and i payed a fine of $450.00. I just forgot to mention it in my N-400 and at the interview that's why i was denied..

Last edited by a moderator:
I responded to your private message.

Thanks man! i didn't lie to them i just forgot about the marijuana ticket he only asked if i had any unpaid tickets and i told him about two i didn't know he was going to look at my ticket history and expect me to remember all of them and the amount even tho the other ones were paid if they really denyed me because they found a paid marijuana ticket in my history what proof do i need to show them in the interview my lawyer already sent it to them with a statement telling what happened but she didn't put the amount that they found but they also don't have it on the ticket it was no more than a gram..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

What was the deny reason stated in the deny letter?

Based on what you mentioned so far it looks like you got into trouble due to little ignorance but now it is important that you don't do any further mistakes.. Spend some time to understand the details. They took your statement at interview so more than likely they would go after it in hearing..

If BigJoe5 is helping you through PM, work with him through PM. He has worked for USCIS and He is far more knowledgeable than many immigration attorneys.

After reading this, I am beginning to worry about not mentioning my traffic citations in N-400. Even though they were not as major as the above case - I had 3 speeding, 2 seat belt, 1 red-light, 2 car parts (muffler, brake lights) - in the past 12 years. Should I be worried?? Once I reach the interview stage should I let the IO know about all my traffic violations even if the IO does not ask me about them?? Experts please suggest??

Thanks

After reading this, I am beginning to worry about not mentioning my traffic citations in N-400. Even though they were not as major as the above case - I had 3 speeding, 2 seat belt, 1 red-light, 2 car parts (muffler, brake lights) - in the past 12 years. Should I be worried?? Once I reach the interview stage should I let the IO know about all my traffic violations even if the IO does not ask me about them?? Experts please suggest??

Thanks

Don't be worried just have proof with you from the court with a seal that you paid all of them and make sure you disclose them to the officer no matter what they know about your dmv history so yeah you will be fine:cool:

would i have to do the civics questions all over again? i passed them in my first interview along with the reading and writing part.

No, since your upcoming hearing is part of original application. If you reapplied, you would have to perform tests again.

Hey guys it's been a whole month since i had my n-336 interview any idea on when i should be expecting a reply? I read on their site it takes up to 6months for a decision to be reached is it after you submit the forms? or after the interview? Why does it take so long for them to decide is it because they are busy and don't have time to review my file or because they are doing a thorough investigation and a criminal back round check that takes time and waiting to see if i'm getting more tickets or getting into any other trouble? Thanks for reading and every comment is appreciated.

Hey guys it's been a whole month since i had my n-336 interview any idea on when i should be expecting a reply? I read on their site it takes up to 6months for a decision to be reached is it after you submit the forms? or after the interview? Why does it take so long for them to decide is it because they are busy and don't have time to review my file or because they are doing a thorough investigation and a criminal back round check that takes time and waiting to see if i'm getting more tickets or getting into any other trouble? Thanks for reading and every comment is appreciated.

Thread Revival: Anyone know how the process works maybe you Bigjoe?:)

You have not waited very long. There is likely some legal research involved and then probably some debate going on among Officers, Supervisors, and Counsel. Then factor in the mundane realities of processing and review, corrections (if any), re-review (if any). Just wait another month.

Thanks a lot BigJoe knew you would come through with some helpful input.

Correction it's actually been 2 months i said 1 month before i had it in April should i be expecting something this month or you can never know how long they take because every case is different?